27 Mar 2007 19:17:33
John Forrest Tomlinson
roller ski length

In a discussion a few years ago Jay Tegeder was comparing Elpex F1 and
Marwe 610 rollerskis and wrote:

"In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Marwe 610s for skating. The
Elpex F-1s are good too but have shorter shafts which create tail drag
if your foot is bigger than a size 9-US."

I don't understand about this tail drag issue -- is it because the
longer skis have more weight up front? I'm pretty sure I'm getting
some Pursuit rollerskis from www.rollerskishop.com and they sell skis
in two lengths -- 53cm and 60cm. I'll be using Pilot bindings, am
about 5'1" and wear 8.5US boots.

--
JT
****************************

27 Mar 2007 22:28:13
Re: roller ski length

You're 5'1"? I'd never have guessed it looking at those videos. The
Elpex are 675mm, which makes me wonder if the ones Jay tried had
mispositioned bindings. People skate on the Marwe 610s and combis
(590) without tail drag. What did Clayton at rollerskishop say? The
Pursuit write up indicates the shorter ones are for beginners. Why
would they be slower? With the variety of wheel speeds, those Pursuits
look a real bargain now that the 610s are up toward $350.

rm

John Forrest Tomlinson <usenetremove@jt10000.com > wrote:

>In a discussion a few years ago Jay Tegeder was comparing Elpex F1 and
>Marwe 610 rollerskis and wrote:
>
>"In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Marwe 610s for skating. The
>Elpex F-1s are good too but have shorter shafts which create tail drag
>if your foot is bigger than a size 9-US."
>
>I don't understand about this tail drag issue -- is it because the
>longer skis have more weight up front? I'm pretty sure I'm getting
>some Pursuit rollerskis from www.rollerskishop.com and they sell skis
>in two lengths -- 53cm and 60cm. I'll be using Pilot bindings, am
>about 5'1" and wear 8.5US boots.

27 Mar 2007 23:27:18
m3m5@mail.com
Re: roller ski length

I have the Elpex F1's and the shaft length is 600mm. I have the
Salomon Profil rollerski flexors (125) and they do not drag at all.
But, they DID drag with the original combi flexors I had in there. I
do see you are using Pilot stuff though.... Someone on here posted a
link to an Italian? site where they slightly modified the Pilot
spring, assumingly to help the rollerski return to the foot better.

27 Mar 2007 23:29:45
m3m5@mail.com
Re: roller ski length

Oh, I should have mentioned this. I just recently bought
rollerskishop.com wheels for my Elpex F1's. Here's my impressions:
http://www.xcskiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=320

28 Mar 2007 06:28:42
John Forrest Tomlinson
Re: roller ski length

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:28:13 -0500, romat@invalid.net wrote:

>You're 5'1"? I'd never have guessed it looking at those videos.

Excuse me -- major typo -- I'm 5'10"

--
JT
****************************

30 Mar 2007 19:59:52
Re: roller ski length

Here's a plug for the Czech Jesenik "Speed" ski. They were about $70
last I looked. Maybe $100 shipped with extra set of wheels. I'm loving
my classic set after 2 years. No wear, all joy. Looks like he makes
all grades, sizes, including racing rollerskis---all darn cheap,
really. Hardcore, straightforward RS quality, seems to me. Pick your
wheelsize, durometer, etc. Or am I missing something? I'm liking
Jesenik, I tell ya! OK, I just checked. Basic skater is 88 Euro,
whatever that comes to. Maybe they were $25 to ship. I forget. It was
thrifty when all was said'n'done. --JP

http://jesenik.com/rollerski_en/index.php?idktg=568

30 Mar 2007 23:04:26
Re: roller ski length

Which ones do you have? The shafts are metal, aren't they? Euro is
about 133/100$. I would expect shipping to be in the $40-50 range
minimum. Did you notice their 100mm wheel models come in either skate
(530,600) or classic (700mm shaft), and the classic can have either 2
wheels or all 4 ratched? That'd be like striding on a longer pair of
Marwe 610s. I wonder what it would feel like with all ratcheted
wheels.

JeffOYB@hotmail.com wrote:

>Here's a plug for the Czech Jesenik "Speed" ski. They were about $70
>last I looked. Maybe $100 shipped with extra set of wheels. I'm loving
>my classic set after 2 years. No wear, all joy. Looks like he makes
>all grades, sizes, including racing rollerskis---all darn cheap,
>really. Hardcore, straightforward RS quality, seems to me. Pick your
>wheelsize, durometer, etc. Or am I missing something? I'm liking
>Jesenik, I tell ya! OK, I just checked. Basic skater is 88 Euro,
>whatever that comes to. Maybe they were $25 to ship. I forget. It was
>thrifty when all was said'n'done. --JP
>
>http://jesenik.com/rollerski_en/index.php?idktg=568

31 Mar 2007 06:15:34
Re: roller ski length

romat@invalid.net wrote:
> Which ones do you have?
I have the intro classics---maybe the R's.

> The shafts are metal, aren't they?

Yeah.

> Euro is
> about 133/100$. I would expect shipping to be in the $40-50 range
> minimum.

I forget what my total was. I got an extra set of wheels, which I
haven't needed yet. Heck, I haven't worn the current wheels at all.
I've probably used em 50 times, guessing. Maybe it was about $130 with
shipping and extra wheels. Well, it wasn't all that much. I wonder if
2 sets would get an economy for shipping---maybe US customers could
batch their orders.

> Did you notice their 100mm wheel models come in either skate
> (530,600) or classic (700mm shaft), and the classic can have either 2
> wheels or all 4 ratched? That'd be like striding on a longer pair of
> Marwe 610s. I wonder what it would feel like with all ratcheted
> wheels.

I kinda liked how straightforward he is about it all. Mix'n'match.
Pick the width and diameter you like. It kinda seems like I could have
a skate set-up just by swapping in all no-clutch wheels.

I do note that his classic wheels seem a bit narrow---not in use but
by other ski standards. But he offers a bit of variation in width
selection.

--JP