17 Jun 2005 10:50:39
silvertip
orthotics

I've read some older posts on the forum about using custom orthotics. I
am in the process now of getting some made by a podiatrist. I have
developed achilles tendonitis from cycling. I am told you can get
cycling specific orthotics which are different from those used for
running and walking. Does anyone know if that is true for use in nordic
ski boots as well? That is, are there orthotics specifically made for
ski boots? Are they different for classic vs. skate?I'd rather not buy
multiple orthotics but I want to make sure have the ones for each tpe
of activity.Thanks,Scott

17 Jun 2005 18:20:27
John Forrest Tomlinson
Re: orthotics

On 17 Jun 2005 10:50:39 -0700, "silvertip" <sjsteiner@comcast.net >
wrote:

>I've read some older posts on the forum about using custom orthotics. I
>am in the process now of getting some made by a podiatrist. I have
>developed achilles tendonitis from cycling. I am told you can get
>cycling specific orthotics which are different from those used for
>running and walking. Does anyone know if that is true for use in nordic
>ski boots as well? That is, are there orthotics specifically made for
>ski boots? Are they different for classic vs. skate?I'd rather not buy
>multiple orthotics but I want to make sure have the ones for each tpe
>of activity.Thanks,Scott

I've use the same orthotics for pretty much everything. I had them
made mainly for cycling and they work fine for skate skiing. Probably
they are a little too stiff for classic skiing and running, but I
don't do either of those very seriously.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

18 Jun 2005 02:38:11
gr
Re: orthotics/tendonitus

silvertip wrote:
> I've read some older posts on the forum about using custom orthotics. I
> am in the process now of getting some made by a podiatrist. I have
> developed achilles tendonitis from cycling. I am told you can get
> cycling specific orthotics which are different from those used for
> running and walking. Does anyone know if that is true for use in nordic
> ski boots as well? That is, are there orthotics specifically made for
> ski boots? Are they different for classic vs. skate?I'd rather not buy
> multiple orthotics but I want to make sure have the ones for each tpe
> of activity.Thanks,Scott

I had trouble with Achilles tendonitus and found a very good exercise
which got it under control. The exercise also seems to be nicely backed
by a Swedish study.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/achilles-tendonitis.html

I did still have quite a bit of soreness on the bottom of my feet (after
the tendons healed up)(due to wear of the natural padding I suppose),,
but using a std foot molding cushion (the 2 oz Miracle (from Target) I
have no problem with that anymore either.

18 Jun 2005 10:21:34
wintermutt
Re: orthotics

i have been using orthotics for years cause...i have to!
i get nasty shin splints running without them.
they seem to work well in my skate skis also.
i use the same ones for everything. they cost me 300 dollars.
one thing they don't tell you. i had to go up form a size 10.5 to an 11
(USA)
in any shoe i had my orthotic in.
hope that helps.

21 Jun 2005 01:07:11
Re: orthotics

I'm waiting for new soles from Sportmaxx Canada. They have different
types depending on what sport you do.
http://www.footmaxx.com/system/sportmaxx.html

I suspect that the "ski" sole is for alpine mostly. I will say there is
a difference solewise between classic and skate skiing.

Three meetings with doctor and a pair of custom fit will cost me
2500NOK.
If things go well I'll be ready to ski Birkie 50k classic next year :-)
See also this
http://www.woodhouseclinic.co.uk/Orthotics/gaitscan.htm
which is part of my sad story