28 Oct 2003 16:27:50
Bowsér
Ski Reccomendation

I tried Nordic a few (three times) last year, and got hooked. Now it's time
for skis, poles and boots. I'm looking at the Fischer and Rossignol touring
skis that are suitable for 50/50 track/out of track. Any recommendations?

Price is an issue, but not the decisive factor.

29 Oct 2003 04:41:49
GR
Re: Ski Reccomendation

I got some Fischer Nordic Cruisers last year and have been quite happy with
them. Did a demo day and compared them to some older skis and found the
glide somewhat better. I have the waxless model.
gr
"Bowsér" <lost@in.time > wrote in message
> I tried Nordic a few (three times) last year, and got hooked. Now it's
time
> for skis, poles and boots. I'm looking at the Fischer and Rossignol
touring
> skis that are suitable for 50/50 track/out of track. Any recommendations?
>
> Price is an issue, but not the decisive factor.

29 Oct 2003 09:30:05
Jim Farrell
Re: Ski Reccomendation

Bowsér wrote:
> I tried Nordic a few (three times) last year, and got hooked. Now it's time
> for skis, poles and boots. I'm looking at the Fischer and Rossignol touring
> skis that are suitable for 50/50 track/out of track. Any recommendations?
>
> Price is an issue, but not the decisive factor.

If price is an issue, I'd stay away from the nordic cruisers and the
rossi Evo. Their standard touring skis are at a better price point.
Look for something in a ca. 52 cm width: narrow enough for track, a bit
of floatation for out of track.

(Full disclosure: I ski Atomic because of the price)

I fit skis at a local shop, and have been very impressed with the flex
of Atomic touring skis. They have flex characteristics that are
reliable all up and down the line: touring to race. Fischer and rossi
send some real dogs (mixed in with the good flexes) in the touring
lines: "unfittable" skis with wax pockets that start out too small (with
equal weight on both skis), and never collapse (rolling forward on one
foot); you get both lousy glide and inadequate kick. Who could ever be
happy with a ski like that? In atomic's touring line you find a good
long wax pocket (pushing 18") with a flat foot on one ski and then,
bang, it collapses with the extra pressure with the bent knee and
forward roll. You get good glide and good kick! My only quibble is
with the nowax pattern being a bit too long: usually a bit of it drags
on a glide foot if you get the whole pattern to collapse in kick.

Another kind of touring ski would be for 'shufflers' a no wax ski with
the grip pattern always in contact with the snow; no glide, kick like a
mule, for people who just want to get out in the woods with minimal
exertion.

That said, make sure you have your ski flex fitted with a board test
(touring skis are never accurately marked for weight of skier). Be sure
to tell the salesman exactly what you want out of your skis. Are you
interested in good technique? Are you out for a real work out or just
perhaps a tour with the kids?

Also, Atomics are lighter and cheaper (about $100) than F and R.

I have been lucky in Switzerland and in Montana that the snow conditions
were just right to support my weight off track in my racing skis. Had
such a great time around Diavolezza at the pass between the North Sea
and the Black Sea water sheds that others went up there the next day.
Unfortunately for them, conditions off track had softened, and our
trails had iced up and they had a tough time. Usually, for off track
and on (50-50) you should look for a ski in the 52-55 cm range (about)
offering both floation and fitting into the groomed tracks.

Good luck, welcome to a sport you can do the rest of your life!

Jim Farrell

29 Oct 2003 13:20:57
Melinda Shore
Re: Ski Reccomendation

In article <3F9FDCFD.5010607@qwest.net >,
Jim Farrell <jefarrell@qwest.net > wrote:
>Fischer and rossi
>send some real dogs (mixed in with the good flexes) in the touring
>lines: "unfittable" skis with wax pockets that start out too small (with
>equal weight on both skis), and never collapse (rolling forward on one
>foot); you get both lousy glide and inadequate kick. Who could ever be
>happy with a ski like that?

I've got a pair of Fischer Power Crowns that fit your
description and are just awful to ski on. Do the
Superlights tend to have the same problem?
--
Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - shore@panix.com

The image is Adam Smith. The reality is Enron -- Joseph Stiglitz