21 Dec 2006 19:33:43
Mike Kennedy
Royal Gorge ?

I will be driving to Sacremento on Christmas eve and was hoping to stop
somewhere to ski a few hours before dropping into the valley. How are the
conditions at Royal Gorge or Tahoe-Donner? Anybody have recommendations on
where I could easily get off the Interstate and ski? I am from Boise and
will be traveling through Reno.

Thank you,

Mike

21 Dec 2006 21:32:33
Re: Royal Gorge ?

Hi Mike,

We've definitely been "thin" on snow here in the Sierra, but it's been
getting steadily better. I skied at Royal Gorge this morning, and it
was the best it's been all year. Not everything is open, but they're
getting closer, and the coverage on the trails that were open was
excellent. Plus, it dumped hard all day. I'm guessing we have almost a
foot of new here at Tahoe Donner, which means RG got even more, so the
conditions should be really really good tomorrow.

Here at Tahoe Donner, it's been very marginal, hardly open, because we
received less early season snow than the western slopes and the Sierra
Crest. TD has been open this week, and the skiing has been good in
places, but it's been a little dicey getting TO the good stuff. With
this new snowfall, it should be much better. I'll probably ski at TD
either tomorrow or Saturday, so can give you an update.

Both TD and RG are easy to get to off of I80. TD is just 5 miles up the
hill from Truckee, and Royal Gorge is around 3 miles from the Soda
Springs exit on the other side of Donner Summit. On Sunday, if I had to
pick one spot at this time, I'd probably opt for RG because of the
greater certainty of coverage.

Hope this helps. You can check www.farwestnordic.org for more details
and updates if we can get them.

Mark

Mike Kennedy wrote:
> I will be driving to Sacremento on Christmas eve and was hoping to stop
> somewhere to ski a few hours before dropping into the valley. How are the
> conditions at Royal Gorge or Tahoe-Donner? Anybody have recommendations on
> where I could easily get off the Interstate and ski? I am from Boise and
> will be traveling through Reno.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mike

22 Dec 2006 20:38:43
runcyclexcski@yahoo.com
Re: Royal Gorge ?

as of today, royal gorge has mid-winter skiing conditions. Classic
would've been a blast today, skating (my wife's and my case) was a bit
soft.

08 Jan 2007 06:29:56
wintermutt
Re: Royal Gorge ?

runcyclexcski@yahoo.com wrote:
> as of today, royal gorge has mid-winter skiing conditions. Classic
> would've been a blast today, skating (my wife's and my case) was a bit
> soft.
i am going to royal gorge today.
i took one pair of nice skis and one pair of beaters.