21 Mar 2007 08:20:32
Randy AKA Cubby
Roller ski question

Just a real newb question on roller skis.
I have a wonderful pair of Ski SKett combis, really love them for what I
do. But of course you're pretty much limited to the paved areas of the
country, and although this area is cross country heaven,(Northern
Wisconsin, fairly close to the Birkie) there are NO dedicated skate ski
areas.
I've read and heard conflicting stories from people about the 'big tire'
skate skis, that you can actually go off road into areas that are packed
dirt/some grass. I'm thinking this sounds farfetched and impossible.
Can you? I'm talking a 17 mile stretch of cross country through forested
area with a hard packed trail.
Randy

21 Mar 2007 09:24:07
Norski
Re: Roller ski question

Randy,
Why not head over to New Moon Ski shop in Hayward and talk to Chris or
Joel? They sell those rollerskis and I bet they have a demo pair that you
could try out. I think Tim and Cindy Swift might also sell them in their
Hayward store too.
I live about 40 miles north of you and we have the 'corridor'. The
corridor is an old railroad grade that they put limestone on. I've tried the
V2 150 Aeros on there and didn't like the experience all that much. Even
though it is fairly hard packed, the tires some times slip when you push out
to the side. Whenever I came to a soft area, I had to resort to double
poling.
The advantages are:
No crazy drivers in cars!
No crazy drivers in cars!!!
No crazy drivers in cars!!!!!!
Really good workout!
Out in the woods instead of on a road!
Much softer when you fall.
Easier on your wrists when planting poles, although this is a technique
issue.
Personally, I'd rather use my Marwe 610s or Pursuits (rollerskishop.com)
on smooth pavement of backroads. The 150s do roll over small pebbles and
debris better. Even though the weight is the same, the heavier wheels of the
150s contribute to a feeling of higher swing weight.

Paul Haltvick
Bay Design and Build - LLC
Engineering, Construction and Information Technology Services
FSx Midwest - Fischer / Swix Racing
Ashland, WI.

"Randy AKA Cubby" <rjbryan@nospamcharter.net > wrote in message
> Just a real newb question on roller skis.
> I have a wonderful pair of Ski SKett combis, really love them for what I
> do. But of course you're pretty much limited to the paved areas of the
> country, and although this area is cross country heaven,(Northern
> Wisconsin, fairly close to the Birkie) there are NO dedicated skate ski
> areas.
> I've read and heard conflicting stories from people about the 'big tire'
> skate skis, that you can actually go off road into areas that are packed
> dirt/some grass. I'm thinking this sounds farfetched and impossible.
> Can you? I'm talking a 17 mile stretch of cross country through forested
> area with a hard packed trail.
> Randy

21 Mar 2007 11:14:24
Re: Roller ski question

See the thread "Nordix Aero 125 SR" that started March 13. Two things
working against you: it takes an unusually smooth and clean dirt trail
to use any rollerskis on, and big rollerskis are like nordic tracks - if
you have good technique and know what you're doing, it can help, if
not, bad habits ensue. Have you talked with the local ski clubs and
shops in the Cable/Hayward area?

rm

Randy AKA Cubby <rjbryan@nospamcharter.net > wrote:

>Just a real newb question on roller skis.
>I have a wonderful pair of Ski SKett combis, really love them for what
>I do. But of course you're pretty much limited to the paved areas of
>the country, and although this area is cross country heaven,(Northern
>Wisconsin, fairly close to the Birkie) there are NO dedicated skate
>ski areas.
>I've read and heard conflicting stories from people about the 'big
>tire' skate skis, that you can actually go off road into areas that
>are packed dirt/some grass. I'm thinking this sounds farfetched and
>impossible. Can you? I'm talking a 17 mile stretch of cross country
>through forested area with a hard packed trail.
>Randy

24 Mar 2007 16:16:28
Jan Gerrit Klok
Re: Roller ski question

http://www.siriro-shop.de/pd1166795135.htm?categoryId=6

Weight Schmeight, it's not a race :-)

Price will likely be 50 or so, but wheels can be had way cheaply through
non-sports shops.

24 Mar 2007 13:32:16
John Forrest Tomlinson
Re: Roller ski question

Has anyone use the skate skis here:
http://www.rollerskishop.com/rollerskiis.php

I don't rollerski much but was thinking of getting some with narrow
100mmish wheels and the price looks right.
--
JT
****************************

24 Mar 2007 13:48:03
John Forrest Tomlinson
Re: Roller ski question

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:16:28 +0100, "Jan Gerrit Klok"
<jgkloknospam@nospamkabelfoon.nl > wrote:

>http://www.siriro-shop.de/pd1166795135.htm?categoryId=6
>
>Weight Schmeight, it's not a race :-)
>
>Price will likely be 50 or so, but wheels can be had way cheaply through
>non-sports shops.

There is some interesting stuff at that site like the kid's skis

http://www.siriro-shop.de/pd1162141889.htm?defaultVariants=search0_EQ_Blau%20eloxiert_AND_search1_EQ_ohne%20Bindung_AND_{EOL}&categoryId=3

and I don't know what is up with this but it looks cool
http://www.siriro-shop.de/pd1094820352.htm?defaultVariants=search0_EQ_Blau%20eloxiert_AND_search1_EQ_ohne%20Bindung_AND_{EOL}&categoryId=1
--
JT
****************************

24 Mar 2007 19:31:45
Jerry M. Wright
Re: Roller ski question

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:32:16 -0500, John Forrest Tomlinson
<usenetremove@jt10000.com > wrote:

>Has anyone use the skate skis here:
>http://www.rollerskishop.com/rollerskiis.php
>
>I don't rollerski much but was thinking of getting some with narrow
>100mmish wheels and the price looks right.

I bought a pair of them last year. I like them but I'm training for
participating in 25K and 50K races, not that there's a snowball's
chance in hell I'll win one. They've changed wheel selection with
different resistances. I got the polyurethane and it took a while to
get used to how fast they are.

25 Mar 2007 11:51:51
gr
Re: Roller ski review coming

Randy AKA Cubby wrote:
> Just a real newb question on roller skis.
> I have a wonderful pair of Ski SKett combis, really love them for what I
> do. But of course you're pretty much limited to the paved areas of the
> country, and although this area is cross country heaven,(Northern
> Wisconsin, fairly close to the Birkie) there are NO dedicated skate ski
> areas.
> I've read and heard conflicting stories from people about the 'big tire'
> skate skis, that you can actually go off road into areas that are packed
> dirt/some grass. I'm thinking this sounds farfetched and impossible.
> Can you? I'm talking a 17 mile stretch of cross country through forested
> area with a hard packed trail.
> Randy
I am getting a pair of the off road Jenex (3 wheels, with brakes, uses
std hiking boots or shoes) this coming week, and will post a review when
I get them. Akers has a nice rent to buy deal to try them.
gr