13 May 2004 17:31:21
Kenneth Salzberg
Re: Best way to train uphill skating on flat terrain?

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Bob wrote:

> um, Gene: every bit of Nathan's article
> is about rollerskiing. Nathan makes no
> mention of anything that doesn't involve
> a wheel on the ground. What do you
> mean by "hoofing"? Can I assume running
> or hopping?

Um, Bob, Nathan was using a term of art - confusing to those whose
training hasn't been in an organized, coached context. Roller skiing is
not "dryland" dryland is any training done on shoes, like pole hiking,
hill bounding, ski walking, and even circuits (another term of art).
-Ken S.

Kenneth Salzberg ksalzberg@hamline.edu
Hamline University ksalzber@hamline.edu
School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104

17 May 2004 13:34:12
Ken Roberts
Re: Best way to train uphill skating on flat terrain?

Ken Salzberg wrote
> Roller skiing is not "dryland"
> dryland is any training done on shoes, like pole hiking . . .

That interpretation of "dryland" does seem to fit better with the nearby
sentences in the Nathan Schultz article -- so thanks, Ken.

And you guessed right that some of us didn't know that meaning of the word
"dryland". Where I rollerski and skate in the summer, the pavement dries
out faster than than the meadow grass and dirt trails, and usually has much
less H2O on it than snow trails, so I felt entitled to assume that it
counted as "dry" land.

Ken R