29 Dec 2006 05:28:11
Eddy Rapid
Pole length consideration for Swedish Vasaloppet

Since the Vasaloppet in Sweden is supposed to be a double polling
fest, do people use longer than, their regular length classic, poles
for the event? I'm thinking of using something between my classic and
skate pole lengths.

In general, do elite classic racers change pole lengths depending on
course profile?

Parham.

30 Dec 2006 18:30:52
Re: Pole length consideration for Swedish Vasaloppet

no no Eddy. go with the regular classic length and not longer.
rule of thumb says 30cm shorter than your body length. a few top racers
use ca 32cm shorter. I think j=F8rgen aukland does this. I used 30cm
rule in vasa.

if using longer pole than optimal for classic you will get sooner tired
for lifting your arms more than needed. you may feel a bit comfort at
first doublepoling with longer poles but don't let that fool you.

it's also an important question; can you DP the vasa race as much as
elite? if you have little experience with long DP races the vasa might
be a 25% DP and 75% diagonal stride for you. so think stride and not
DP. for elite it's maybe 80% DP or so. marcialonga is probably more DP
for you.

do elite change polelength depending on raceprofile? not likely. if the
profile is alot of up and downhill they might get temptet to use a tiny
bit shorter poles. but carbon poles cost :-)

Eddy Rapid wrote:
> Since the Vasaloppet in Sweden is supposed to be a double polling
> fest, do people use longer than, their regular length classic, poles
> for the event? I'm thinking of using something between my classic and
> skate pole lengths.
>
> In general, do elite classic racers change pole lengths depending on
> course profile?
>=20
> Parham.

30 Dec 2006 20:52:02
Re: Pole length consideration for Swedish Vasaloppet

A number of good points. The pole length figures are dependent on
having average shoulders, not straight across and not highly slanted.
Each of those would throw off the typical figures. I don't know about
classic races, but I have heard of WC skiers using shorter poles for
skating on hilly courses. Bente Skari won her first skate race that
way. I wonder if those sponsored by Swix, One Way or Exel have to pay.

rm