29 Jun 2006 12:58:34
Nordic Walking

What is with this nordic walking?
Cross country skiers have been doing this for decades and then there
are web sites like http://www.nordicwalkingonline.com/who claim to
have discovered nordic walking in 2004. The videos on the site are a
total joke from an technique and fitness point of view.

What do real skiers think of this?

Bob

29 Jun 2006 14:25:12
WasGitchi
Re: Nordic Walking

I too have seen ski walking grow in the last couple of years. I
welcome it as a fad and hope it brings more people into the sport.

This isn't a total joke from a fitness point of view. Even with poor
technique walking or running with poles is a great workout for most
people.

We shouldn't be elitist about technique anyway. The general population
is going to have poor technique at any sport. Go to almost any
downhill area, most of the people there suck at downhill skiing. But
they are having fun, getting outside and getting some exercise. I
respect that.

The only thing that I have a problem with is the activity's name.
Why does everything to do with cross-country skiing have to have the
word nordic in it?

Byrnes-out

robert.baker34@hotmail.com wrote:
> What is with this nordic walking?
> Cross country skiers have been doing this for decades and then there
> are web sites like http://www.nordicwalkingonline.com/who claim to
> have discovered nordic walking in 2004. The videos on the site are a
> total joke from an technique and fitness point of view.
>
> What do real skiers think of this?
>
> Bob

30 Jun 2006 07:17:33
Jan Gerrit Klok
Re: Nordic Walking

I too see many (especially older) folks dragging around their pols here.
I too get itchy that every with poles becomes "Nordic".

To me it seems like the idea of having an accessorized sport (poles) gets
people from their lazy couches, get to enjoy the outdoors, live more
healthily and expend less healthcare care. It's all good, even if it does
look silly.
I bought a pair of telescopic poles just because I wanted to try the (spare)
rubber tips on it which seemed similar to the expensive ones I buy at the
store. The supermarket charged less for the whole set than I paid for my
last rubber tips pair. I'm going to give my poles to my mom, she's intrigued
by the sport, perhaps it will help motivate her too, to get outside and try
longer walks with her unfortunate chronical fatique condition. I believe
getting fit goes a long way towards most discomforts. If my mom can enjoy
more numerous and longer walks by "dragging" her poles (I'll try to
instruct), hey, that's great! It may not be the intended full-body workout,
but it beats every non-workout by a mile.

"WasGitchi" <was_gitchi@yahoo.com > schreef in bericht
> I too have seen ski walking grow in the last couple of years. I
> welcome it as a fad and hope it brings more people into the sport.
>
> This isn't a total joke from a fitness point of view. Even with poor
> technique walking or running with poles is a great workout for most
> people.
>
> We shouldn't be elitist about technique anyway. The general population
> is going to have poor technique at any sport. Go to almost any
> downhill area, most of the people there suck at downhill skiing. But
> they are having fun, getting outside and getting some exercise. I
> respect that.
>
> The only thing that I have a problem with is the activity's name.
> Why does everything to do with cross-country skiing have to have the
> word nordic in it?
>
> Byrnes-out
>

> robert.baker34@hotmail.com wrote:
> > What is with this nordic walking?
> > Cross country skiers have been doing this for decades and then there
> > are web sites like http://www.nordicwalkingonline.com/who claim to
> > have discovered nordic walking in 2004. The videos on the site are a
> > total joke from an technique and fitness point of view.
> >
> > What do real skiers think of this?
> >
> > Bob

30 Jun 2006 08:34:39
dardruba
Re: Nordic Walking

WasGitchi wrote:
> The only thing that I have a problem with is the activity's name.
> Why does everything to do with cross-country skiing have to have the
> word nordic in it?

On the same page they claim that Nordic Blading is presently enjoying a boom in popularity,
as a completely new and exhilarating way of achieving all round fitness!

30 Jun 2006 10:40:58
WasGitchi
Re: Nordic Walking

I'll admit, that the site is kinda funny. If this guy wants to make a
buck off of some SoCals while promoting anything to do with skiing, he
has got my blessing. Really it's just marketing to the masses. At
least he's not hawking "thefastestsellingdietpillinAmerica!!!"

He was smart not to get into roller skis (or are they nordic rollers).
I don't think he would have been able to charge 3X market value for
them. Just think of the margin on the poles he is selling. I am
surprised there's no $70 yoga mat...

dardruba wrote:
> WasGitchi wrote:
> > The only thing that I have a problem with is the activity's name.
> > Why does everything to do with cross-country skiing have to have the
> > word nordic in it?
>
> On the same page they claim that Nordic Blading is presently enjoying a boom in popularity,
> as a completely new and exhilarating way of achieving all round fitness!

30 Jun 2006 11:43:52
Re: Nordic Walking

well, at least it's better than the Nordic Track.

30 Jun 2006 12:03:17
Re: Nordic Walking

Actually I think he is selling the diet pill and fad exercise gear
too... he appears to be a x-body builder. He makes some pretty
outrageous claims like: "He discovered nordic walking," and that he is
a self proclaimed "master coach: with the American Nordic Walking
Association, which incidently he created and owns. Sounds like someone
trying to cash in on a fad. What he demostrates as nordic walking on
his web site is a bit funny.

Any chance of legitimate certified nordic ski coaches getting blind
sided by this ?

30 Jun 2006 13:05:47
Re: Nordic Walking

I also liked this part:

"Nordic Blading offers a safe alternative to regular blading as the
poles provide two additional points of support. It is easier and safer
to stop during rapid movements thanks to the support provided by the
poles"

No question about the poles being good for fitness, but the poles are
definitely NOT safer, should NOT be used for stopping, and should NOT
be used as "two additional points of support".

30 Jun 2006 23:02:46
klh
Re: Nordic Walking

well. I must say I am overwhelmed by my lack of knowledge and
understanding of Nordic Walking.
Isn't it wonderful that such an expert has stepped up to offer to share
his knowledge with me [and my money with him]?

revyakin@yahoo.com wrote:

>I also liked this part:
>
>"Nordic Blading offers a safe alternative to regular blading as the
>poles provide two additional points of support. It is easier and safer
>to stop during rapid movements thanks to the support provided by the
>poles"
>
>No question about the poles being good for fitness, but the poles are
>definitely NOT safer, should NOT be used for stopping, and should NOT
>be used as "two additional points of support".

30 Jun 2006 16:35:52
Re: Nordic Walking

Always glad to share. And you can keep the money :)