22 Mar 2007 18:44:40
Next time you see a moose on the trail

http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Six_survival_tips_if_you_run_into_a_03212007.html

23 Mar 2007 03:42:29
Re: Next time you see a moose on the trail

On Mar 22, 6:44 pm, r...@invalid.net wrote:
> http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Six_survival_tips_if_you_run_into_a_0321...

My wife Liz had a moose running towards her on the Sugarbush Ski
Trails near Tofte, Minnesota. She screamed and yelled and I did the
same, as I was right behind her. The moose ventured off into the
forest safely, although the situation was a little scary at first.

One of the US Forest Service workers in Grand Marais, Minnesota got
stomped by a moose after surprising it on the trail. The worker had to
drag herself out out of the forest with a broken leg.

Evidently hiding behind a clump of birch trees works well to protect
yourself if charged. All of this is a reminder that we are visitors to
the forest, which is the home of the animals.

Greg Fangel

23 Mar 2007 18:04:03
Terje Henriksen
Re: Next time you see a moose on the trail

<gtfangel@boreal.org > skrev i melding
> On Mar 22, 6:44 pm, r...@invalid.net wrote:
>> http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Six_survival_tips_if_you_run_into_a_0321...
>
> My wife Liz had a moose running towards her on the Sugarbush Ski
> Trails near Tofte, Minnesota. She screamed and yelled and I did the
> same, as I was right behind her. The moose ventured off into the
> forest safely, although the situation was a little scary at first.
>
> One of the US Forest Service workers in Grand Marais, Minnesota got
> stomped by a moose after surprising it on the trail. The worker had to
> drag herself out out of the forest with a broken leg.
>
> Evidently hiding behind a clump of birch trees works well to protect
> yourself if charged. All of this is a reminder that we are visitors to
> the forest, which is the home of the animals.

I met 3 or 4 of them in the ski tracks round Tryvasshøgda in Oslo. No
problems. I just slowed down and they went away. No yelling or hiding
needed. One was also observed outside my mothers hous in Kirkenes.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

24 Mar 2007 13:26:59
Terje Mathisen

Terje Henriksen wrote:
> <gtfangel@boreal.org> skrev i melding
>> On Mar 22, 6:44 pm, r...@invalid.net wrote:
>> Evidently hiding behind a clump of birch trees works well to protect
>> yourself if charged. All of this is a reminder that we are visitors to
>> the forest, which is the home of the animals.
>
> I met 3 or 4 of them in the ski tracks round Tryvasshøgda in Oslo. No
> problems. I just slowed down and they went away. No yelling or hiding
> needed. One was also observed outside my mothers hous in Kirkenes.

Indeed. :-)

I have met _many_ moose/elk on orienteering and skiing trips, the most
was probably 13 within 15-20 minutes up a hillside east of Nesbyen/Gol.

The closest I've been was less than 3m away, when I led a scout patrol
about 35 years ago, and turned a corner. I just stood there looking at
it, the moose ran, and when I turned around to the other boys they were
halfway up all the nearest trees. :-)

The only really dangerous situation is when you accidentally get between
a cow and its calf.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen@hda.hydro.com >