15 May 2007 13:27:33
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoo
Fixing clutches on old Arcos Road Skis?

It looks like my untested Arcos Road Skis---3 wheelers---don't have
good clutches after all.

As I said in a previous post, it looked like these skis were quite
fresh even though old. Like whoever had them years ago didn't use them
hardly at all.

Are these readily serviced by any chance? Any likely culprit?

I'm hoping for a happy ending---like maybe old hardened grease being
the culprit.

--JP

15 May 2007 17:45:53
ADK Skier
Re: Fixing clutches on old Arcos Road Skis?

On May 15, 4:27 pm, "Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)"
<Jeff...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> It looks like my untested Arcos Road Skis---3 wheelers---don't have
> good clutches after all.
>
> As I said in a previous post, it looked like these skis were quite
> fresh even though old. Like whoever had them years ago didn't use them
> hardly at all.
>
> Are these readily serviced by any chance? Any likely culprit?
>
> I'm hoping for a happy ending---like maybe old hardened grease being
> the culprit.
>
> --JP
Potter where have you been? You are the man. You and I use to write
tons of stuff here. It's good to see you are at it. Reliable Racing in
Queensbury, New York was way ahead of everyone with roller skiing.
Hell they were making the 3 wheelers for Bill Koch and the Caldwells
in the 1970's. Tom Jacobs who started Reliable Racing could probably
answer your question, but he's retired and his heir apparent "son of"
isn' really committed to the Nordic tradition like his dad was.
However, Senior had a really good manager at Reliable Racing for years
who handled all the nordic roller skis. His name is Steve Kvinlaug and
has been head honcho at Alpina in N.H. for many years. I will contact
a friend of his and ask for his email. He could answer questions for
you and probably tell you some funny stories from the old days of 3
wheel roller skiing.

16 May 2007 22:51:20
Gary Jacobson
Re: Fixing clutches on old Arcos Road Skis?

"Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)" <JeffOYB@hotmail.com > wrote in
message news:1179260853.424473.246290@u30g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
> It looks like my untested Arcos Road Skis---3 wheelers---don't have
> good clutches after all.
>
> As I said in a previous post, it looked like these skis were quite
> fresh even though old. Like whoever had them years ago didn't use them
> hardly at all.
>
> Are these readily serviced by any chance? Any likely culprit?
>
> I'm hoping for a happy ending---like maybe old hardened grease being
> the culprit.
>
> --JP

I think that sewing machine oil would fix those clutches. Also make sure
that the nut is tight enough. I think that you are barking up the right tree
when you think about gunked up lube in there.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY