26 Dec 2006 17:25:43
chamaski
Chama Chili Ski Classic

Please join us for the 34th annual Chama Chili Ski Classic over
President's Day Weekend (February 18), in the beautiful Chama Valley,
NM. A classic 5K and 10K ski event for all ages and abilities. Race
is on permitted, groomed trails in national forest. Age division
awards; long-sleeve t-shirts; commemorative pins; grandiose chile
ristras for fastest male and female times; awards ceremony with free
green chili stew and live entertainment; warming hut at start/finish.
For more information, see our website "http://www.chamaski.com".
Sponsored by Chama Valley Rotary Club.

Happy trails,

Nancy Dervin
R.D.

27 Dec 2006 08:57:38
NewMexSki
Re: Chama Chili Ski Classic

Hi Nancy!

Good to see you are on the Nordic group. What a great way to get the
word out for the Chama Chili Classic too.

For those who are regulars on this list, perhaps a little description
of the event and the area might be interesting. I'll give it a shot:

Chama is a small town in far Northern New Mexico. It is in the
southeastern part of the San Juan Mountains of Colorado/New Mexico,
which are most famous for having the most 14,000 foot peaks of any
other US mountain range, and the largest areas of wilderness. The
mountains around Chama are in the same "snow band" as Wolf Creek ski
area, Colorado's snowiest place. Even with last year's drought, Chama
had more than enough snow for the event, and we even had a hard time
getting it groomed with the 2 feet new that it snowed overnight.

The course is located a few miles north of Chama, on what is called
Cumbres Pass. One of the only surviving steam-engine narrow gauge
railroads (the Cumbres/Toltec -- http://www.cumbrestoltec.com/index.php
-- you gotta see this website) still operates scenic trips over the
pass from Chama, NM to Antonito, CO. The Chama Chili Ski Classic
utilizes some of the rail grade in parts of the course. The train
doesn't operate in the winter, of course.

Last year, it snowed heavily overnight before the race, so we altered
the course and used much more of the rail bed than usual. It turned
out that it was the perfect grade for classical skiing and was
surprisingly fun, so we might do that version of the course again. If
you look at the gallery of pics on the train website, one of the
pictures shows the train at a spot called "Windy Point." Last year, we
routed the ski race on the rail bed to a place very near Windy Point.
We turned around just before ascending up to that very spot, but you
get an up-close view of it while in the race.

Anyway, Chama is a fun place with a very intact "old west" feel to it.
The ski race is a local affair, but it does have some serious
competition from the UNM team, skiers from Southern Colorado and around
Northern NM.

There are also backcountry yurts in Chama, nearby groomed xc skiing at
Enchanted Forest (www.enchantedforestxc.com) and Angel Fire
(www.angelfireresort.com). It's a great place to explore on skis.
Santa Fe and Taos are also fun places to visit if you come to NM.

The post race festivities are unique and a lot of fun. I always enjoy
bellying up to the old bar at the High Country and talking about the
race with the locals. Those red chili ristras are also the best prize
I've ever won in a ski race! It was bizarre, but made me laugh, when
Geir Endre-Rogn and Martina Stursova won them a couple of years ago.
It made me wonder what a Norwegian guy and a Czech girl would do with
them. I suppose they hung them on their front "portal" like the rest
of us, right?

Hope some of you can make it.

Clay Moseley
Los Alamos, NM

chamaski wrote:
> Please join us for the 34th annual Chama Chili Ski Classic over
> President's Day Weekend (February 18), in the beautiful Chama Valley,
> NM. A classic 5K and 10K ski event for all ages and abilities. Race
> is on permitted, groomed trails in national forest. Age division
> awards; long-sleeve t-shirts; commemorative pins; grandiose chile
> ristras for fastest male and female times; awards ceremony with free
> green chili stew and live entertainment; warming hut at start/finish.
> For more information, see our website "http://www.chamaski.com".
> Sponsored by Chama Valley Rotary Club.
>
> Happy trails,
>
> Nancy Dervin
> R.D.

27 Dec 2006 12:44:52
Re: Chama Chili Ski Classic

Looks like it would be a fun course. Windy Point especially looks like
a nice destination during a storm <g >. Sort of reminiscent of stories
I've heard about skiing up Tioga Pass in Yosemite during blinding snow.

rm