26 Dec 2005 17:21:07
Ty in Burlington
Calling Lew Lasher: Question on Stowe areas

I saw on Stowe Mountain Resort's website considerably more positive
comments about the base up there than I was hearing from Trapps. Does
SMR have snow making equipment that allows them to get a better base in
the early season? Does the amount of elevation difference (SMR is a
little higher, to my knowledge) make a difference? Or are the
conditions generally always the same at the two resorts?

Hoping that the snowfall tonight more than makes up for today's rain.

Thanks in advance,

Ty Danco

27 Dec 2005 16:11:27
Lew Lasher
Re: Calling Lew Lasher: Question on Stowe areas

Ty in Burlington wrote:

> I saw on Stowe Mountain Resort's website considerably more positive
> comments about the base up there than I was hearing from Trapps. Does
> SMR have snow making equipment that allows them to get a better base in
> the early season? Does the amount of elevation difference (SMR is a
> little higher, to my knowledge) make a difference? Or are the

> conditions generally always the same at the two resorts?

I went downhill skiing today with my visiting brother-in-law and niece,
so I don't have any up-to-date conditions to report today. On Sunday, I
probably didn't bother to report that Trapp's conditions were good to
very good at higher elevations but just fair at lower elevations.

In general, conditions are pretty similar for the two ski touring
centers, which are, after all, adjacent. AIG/SMR is perhaps at a
slightly higher elevation, doesn't have any open areas (like "Picnic
Knoll" at Trapp's, or, more importantly, the area at the very start of
the Trapp trail system), and gets less traffic, so it's plausible that
their base might hold up a little better. AIG/SMR opened almost a week
earlier than Trapp did this year.

But it's hard to see anything positive in the near future with the
forecast for lots of rain on Thursday.

Lew Lasher
Stowe, Vermont and Cambridge, Massachusetts