23 Sep 2004 15:56:03
m and m
Ankle Fracture

Has anyone fractured their ankle(lower fibula) while running? Becasue I did
yesterday afternoon while on a 2 hr run; had to limp almost 3 miles back to
my car. The doc down at the UofM says I'll be out for 4 to 6 weeks. I was
wondering if anyone has experienced this type of injury and what affect it
had on their ski season, and how long it took until rollerskiing or running
was possible. I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to try an
salvage any aerobic capacity. I will be doing strenght stuff, but im in a
walking cast and cant even swim, becasuse they want my foot positioned a
certain way. Hope I dont gain weight, I've beed training 9 to 13 hrs a
week, and I eat like a horse. Anybody got any meds that heal bones?haha.

Matt Liebsch
-i never hurt my self during the ski season, mmmm...soft white and forgiving
snow

23 Sep 2004 21:24:57
Marsh Jones
Re: Ankle Fracture

m and m wrote:
> Has anyone fractured their ankle(lower fibula) while running? Becasue I did
> yesterday afternoon while on a 2 hr run; had to limp almost 3 miles back to
> my car. The doc down at the UofM says I'll be out for 4 to 6 weeks. I was
> wondering if anyone has experienced this type of injury and what affect it
> had on their ski season, and how long it took until rollerskiing or running
> was possible. I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to try an
> salvage any aerobic capacity. I will be doing strenght stuff, but im in a
> walking cast and cant even swim, becasuse they want my foot positioned a
> certain way. Hope I dont gain weight, I've beed training 9 to 13 hrs a
> week, and I eat like a horse. Anybody got any meds that heal bones?haha.
>
> Matt Liebsch
> -i never hurt my self during the ski season, mmmm...soft white and forgiving
> snow

Matt,

BUMMER!!! Come down to showboat landing Monday night and we'll get you
out in a canoe. That should allow you to sit and use your upper body
even if you can't use your feet.

Marsh Jones
New Brighton

24 Sep 2004 07:37:50
Dell Todd
Re: Ankle Fracture

> Has anyone fractured their ankle(lower fibula) while running? Becasue I did
> yesterday afternoon while on a 2 hr run; had to limp almost 3 miles back to
> my car. The doc down at the UofM says I'll be out for 4 to 6 weeks. ...
> Matt Liebsch
> -i never hurt my self during the ski season, mmmm...soft white and forgiving
> snow

Matt,

Oh no ! That's a huge disappointment I'm sure. Well, if you cant
workout 13 hrs a week, you know you cant keep eating. I noticed that
the people who bring you ecaps & hammer gel have a product that helps
you thru that transition by safely reducing your food drive.

I have not yet BROKE an ankle (knock on wood). However, I have
recently been marveling that during a ton of night running on very
dark country roads during the past 4 years, I have not really even
turned my ankles. Back in high school I ran XC, we trained on grass
all the time, and I was constantly turning my ankles. Very painful.
This Sunday I was blinded by a car on a turn, and I stepped right on
the lip of the asphalt and turned the heck out of my ankle. I thought,
I had that coming, I should really have my headlamp on. Then the same
thing happened within a couple miles, on the other ankle. Wednesday
nite I was out on a bike path next a semi-busy road, blinded by the
headlites (no headlamp on me), and I stepped just right on a PINE CONE
and I thought the ankle had broken. I stopped short, did some hopping
on the good leg to avoid putting anything on the hurt one. I was able
to walk it off. Now that one still hurts. I think I'll do some yoga
and just keep running. I am almost 2 weeks away from Chgo. It feels a
little tight in the AM, but running on it feels fine. So I got lucky.
I am trying to run during the daylight. I think if the pinecone were
any bigger, I would be joining you in misery. Keep eating the good
things to give your body the healing things it needs, and get out
there in 4 weeks. It'll go fast, and you'll still have a ton of time
before racing season.

24 Sep 2004 10:38:56
m and m
Re: Ankle Fracture

Good news, i might be getting a kayak from someone to barrow for a couple of
weeks. I live right on Medicine Lk so thats one piece of good news.

"m and m" <do@do.com > wrote in message
> Has anyone fractured their ankle(lower fibula) while running? Becasue I
> did yesterday afternoon while on a 2 hr run; had to limp almost 3 miles
> back to my car. The doc down at the UofM says I'll be out for 4 to 6
> weeks. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this type of injury and
> what affect it had on their ski season, and how long it took until
> rollerskiing or running was possible. I would greatly appreciate any
> advice on how to try an salvage any aerobic capacity. I will be doing
> strenght stuff, but im in a walking cast and cant even swim, becasuse they
> want my foot positioned a certain way. Hope I dont gain weight, I've beed
> training 9 to 13 hrs a week, and I eat like a horse. Anybody got any meds
> that heal bones?haha.
>
> Matt Liebsch
> -i never hurt my self during the ski season, mmmm...soft white and
> forgiving snow

24 Sep 2004 13:02:45
Kathy
Re: Ankle Fracture

Find a gym with one of those upper body cardiac machines. Boring I know, but
it helped Joan Benoit win a gold medal in the Olympic marathon.

"m and m" <do@do.com > wrote in message
> Has anyone fractured their ankle(lower fibula) while running? Becasue I
did
> yesterday afternoon while on a 2 hr run; had to limp almost 3 miles back
> my car. The doc down at the UofM says I'll be out for 4 to 6 weeks. I
was
> wondering if anyone has experienced this type of injury and what affect it
> had on their ski season, and how long it took until rollerskiing or
running
> was possible. I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to try an
> salvage any aerobic capacity. I will be doing strenght stuff, but im in a
> walking cast and cant even swim, becasuse they want my foot positioned a
> certain way. Hope I dont gain weight, I've beed training 9 to 13 hrs a
> week, and I eat like a horse. Anybody got any meds that heal bones?haha.
>
> Matt Liebsch
> -i never hurt my self during the ski season, mmmm...soft white and
forgiving
> snow

24 Sep 2004 10:21:20
Sly D. Skeez
Re: Ankle Fracture

Marsh Jones <marshjones@remove-this-bit.comcast.net > wrote in message news:<JaH4d.10628$He1.1638@attbi_s01>...
> m and m wrote:
> > Has anyone fractured their ankle(lower fibula) while running? Becasue I did
> > yesterday afternoon while on a 2 hr run; had to limp almost 3 miles back to
> > my car. The doc down at the UofM says I'll be out for 4 to 6 weeks. I was
> > wondering if anyone has experienced this type of injury and what affect it
> > had on their ski season, and how long it took until rollerskiing or running
> > was possible. I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to try an
> > salvage any aerobic capacity. I will be doing strenght stuff, but im in a
> > walking cast and cant even swim, becasuse they want my foot positioned a
> > certain way. Hope I dont gain weight, I've beed training 9 to 13 hrs a
> > week, and I eat like a horse. Anybody got any meds that heal bones?haha.
> >
> > Matt Liebsch
> > -i never hurt my self during the ski season, mmmm...soft white and forgiving
> > snow

Matt,

That really is a bummer. So when the doc says 4-6 weeks, usually
there's a healing process that you can do more as time progresses. My
ortho doc was spot on in regards to time frame that I would be able to
do certain things. So the questions are, when can you start rowing
(inside and outside), are you changing to a lighter cast, when does
the cast come off, when can you swim, rollerski, bicycle, etc? I
assume the last thing you will be able to do is run. (Next spring?)

Anyway, to answer your question, Chad Giese had a stress fraction from
running a few years ago, and he might be a good source for some
training ideas.

Jay Wenner

24 Sep 2004 21:40:14
m and m
Re: Ankle Fracture

I'm getting a kayak from a good friend and high school coach of mine! I'll
be able to get my heart rate up. Hope I can double pole in two weeks, as
long as i dont move my ankle side-ways. I might be able to skate in 4
weeks...i hope. I'm not sure when the running will start...maybe not till
next spring, oh well, i like skiing a heck of a lot more than running.
Another good friend is giving me some bungy straps the russians use for ski
specific arm training. Hope I dont lose too much in the next month or two.
Thanks to everyone for the advise.

Matt Liebsch