25 Oct 2003 17:20:22
Jeff Potter
A Boy and His Skipping

My 5 year old boy hasn't been much interested in pushing many physical
limits so far. He really likes running around and being chased, but has
no real interest in gliding or sliding. He'd rather invent things than
strain or twist.

But he's finally learned how to skip. Probably lots of kids learn sooner
but he's into it now. What's interesting to me is that he's not
interested in anyone showing him how to do anything. What he loves to do
just comes out of him when it's ready. Interesting, too, that
'education' literally means 'to draw out' as distinct from training or
even sharing. At any rate, he's skipping up a storm. If he has to take
more than one step, the next is a skip.

I tell ya, it's wonderful to see and to hear. There's a lovely little
rhythm now to the pitter-pat as he shifts around the house.
Bump-pi-dump-pi-dump whenever he goes anywhere.

And it's such a joy to see, too. It's probably been my favorite thing so
far with him. He flips his arms around and up in the air. Random,
joyful, yet rhythmic. Flipsy and carefree.

He stopped singing and dancing a year or so ago because it was
'embarrassing.' His little sister has taken over those duties. But he
skips with abandon.

I see the best kind of skiing in his skipping.

--

Jeff Potter
****

27 Oct 2003 00:09:19
George Cleveland
Re: A Boy and His Skipping

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:20:22 -0400, Jeff Potter <jp@outyourbackdoor.NOSPAMcom >
wrote:

>My 5 year old boy hasn't been much interested in pushing many physical
>limits so far. He really likes running around and being chased, but has
>no real interest in gliding or sliding. He'd rather invent things than
>strain or twist.

*great skipping report snipped*

>Jeff Potter
> ****
>*Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com
> publisher of outdoor/indoor do-it-yourself culture...
> ...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies...
> ...rare books on ski, bike, boat culture, plus a Gulf Coast thriller
> about smalltown smuggling ... more radical novels coming up!
> ...original downloadable music ... and articles galore!
> plus national "Off the Beaten Path" travel forums! HOLY SMOKES!

Mason, our son who just turned six, is still singing but never got into dancing.
He can skip but prefers to move through life doing faux martial arts moves. Its
sort of like living in the house with a tiny Bruce Lee. I think its impossible
to predict what sport or other activity will catch fire when they're this small
but it sure is fun watching them try stuff out.

g.c.