27 Oct 2003 20:39:16
Vladimir Capka
XMas to New Year, where to ski out west? Least crowded areas?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to go skiing out west between Christmas and New Year. Yes it's
the most expensive time to ski but that's when I have time off. My question
is:

Which resorts are to be least crowded with most likely enough snow?

I did it several times in UT (mainly Alta) but I'm going there mid January
so I'd like to go somewhere else. I did it in Summit County CO, Copper Mtn
is manageable if you know where to ski at what time (Breckenridge - forget
it.). Any other ideas? I'm thinking Winter Park, CO or Big Sky, MT. Do I
need a car in Winter Park? What's the crowds situation in these? How about
Steamboat (enough snow at that time?)?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Vladimir.

28 Oct 2003 18:00:12
The Real Bev
Re: XMas to New Year, where to ski out west? Least crowded areas?

Vladimir Capka wrote:

> I'm planning to go skiing out west between Christmas and New Year. Yes it's
> the most expensive time to ski but that's when I have time off. My question
> is:
>
> Which resorts are to be least crowded with most likely enough snow?

Skip the far west (Southern California). The only snow is likely to be
2 feet of man-made on the easiest slopes, the ticket price is +$10 (at
least) during the holidays, and there will be massive crowds of inept
newbies who think "Hey, wouldn't it be cool to go skiing on Xmas break?"
along with a lot of other people who figure that the week between Xmas
and New Year's is the only time they'll be able to take off this season.

--
Cheers,
Bev

29 Oct 2003 12:19:57
JQ

"Vladimir Capka" <v.capka@comcast.net > wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm planning to go skiing out west between Christmas and New Year. Yes
it's
> the most expensive time to ski but that's when I have time off. My
question
> is:
>
> Which resorts are to be least crowded with most likely enough snow?
>
> I did it several times in UT (mainly Alta) but I'm going there mid January
> so I'd like to go somewhere else. I did it in Summit County CO, Copper Mtn
> is manageable if you know where to ski at what time (Breckenridge - forget
> it.). Any other ideas? I'm thinking Winter Park, CO or Big Sky, MT. Do I
> need a car in Winter Park? What's the crowds situation in these? How about
> Steamboat (enough snow at that time?)?
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Vladimir.

Hi,
You may want to add Big Mountain, MT to your list it is a great mountain and
the view of Glacier National Park from the lodge on top of the mountain is
one of the most beautiful sites in the world!

JQ
Dancing on the edge

31 Oct 2003 10:17:15
toddjb
Re: XMas to New Year, where to ski out west? Least crowded areas?

"Vladimir Capka" <v.capka@comcast.net > wrote in message news:<QNKdnaMPprixTgCiRVn-gQ@comcast.com>...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm planning to go skiing out west between Christmas and New Year. Yes it's
> the most expensive time to ski but that's when I have time off. My question
> is:
>
> Which resorts are to be least crowded with most likely enough snow?

Whistler.

As far as crowds. You only have one line to wait in there at the
base in the morning. Once you get up on the mountain, stay high and
you won't run into many lines.

Colorado is great but is more of a gamble regarding December snow.

Or, if you know Utah, go back there and stay in the city. There are
dozens of places to ski other than Alta for you to explore.

-todd

01 Nov 2003 19:47:42
John

nospam_todd@yahoo.com (toddjb) wrote in message news:<e25c4163.0310290727.18000913@posting.google.com >...
> "Vladimir Capka" <v.capka@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<QNKdnaMPprixTgCiRVn-gQ@comcast.com>...
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm planning to go skiing out west between Christmas and New Year. Yes it's
> > the most expensive time to ski but that's when I have time off. My question
> > is:
> >
> > Which resorts are to be least crowded with most likely enough snow?

I know that you are going to Alta, but I highly reccomend the canyons.
It is the most underated resort in America (I have been to a lot).
3000+ acres good snow, high speed lifts and no crowds. I literally
mean no crowds. The terrain is also some of the steepest in Utah.
The trails are also cut in an intresting manner. I have skiied at
most of the other Salt lake areas and the canyons is by far the best.
I have been at the canyons over chistmas and it was great. Alta has
its draw, but I only get a certain number of prime ski days a year and
I want vertical of course with snowbird there is plenty of lift
capacity. I will, however, be in Whistler for about 2 weeks over new
years so I hope that is a good choice. If not I will be partying like
crazy...Actually I will party like crazy either way, so I hope that is
the right choice. I would stay away from vail, aspen ect. and all
southern resorts.

02 Nov 2003 21:59:42
AstroPax

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:47:42 CST, lazysegall@aol.com (John) wrote:

>I know that you are going to Alta, but I highly reccomend the canyons.
>It is the most underated resort in America (I have been to a lot).
>3000+ acres good snow, high speed lifts and no crowds. I literally
>mean no crowds. The terrain is also some of the steepest in Utah.
>The trails are also cut in an intresting manner. I have skiied at
>most of the other Salt lake areas and the canyons is by far the best.
>I have been at the canyons over chistmas and it was great. Alta has
>its draw, but I only get a certain number of prime ski days a year and
>I want vertical of course with snowbird there is plenty of lift
>capacity. I will, however, be in Whistler for about 2 weeks over new
>years so I hope that is a good choice. If not I will be partying like
>crazy...Actually I will party like crazy either way, so I hope that is
>the right choice. I would stay away from vail, aspen ect. and all
>southern resorts.

Sounds like someone is partying just a little *too* much...with
hallucinogens.

BTW, that shit is illegal here in Utah...even if it does make The
Canyons appear to be a paradise.

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

03 Nov 2003 08:57:17
pigo

"AstroPax" <astro@skiutahlocals.com > wrote in message
> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:47:42 CST, lazysegall@aol.com (John) wrote:
>
> >I know that you are going to Alta, but I highly reccomend the
canyons.
> >It is the most underated resort in America (I have been to a lot).
> >3000+ acres good snow, high speed lifts and no crowds. I literally
> >mean no crowds. The terrain is also some of the steepest in Utah.
> >The trails are also cut in an intresting manner. I have skiied at
> >most of the other Salt lake areas and the canyons is by far the best.
> >I have been at the canyons over chistmas and it was great. Alta has
> >its draw, but I only get a certain number of prime ski days a year
and
> >I want vertical of course with snowbird there is plenty of lift
> >capacity. I will, however, be in Whistler for about 2 weeks over new
> >years so I hope that is a good choice. If not I will be partying
like
> >crazy...Actually I will party like crazy either way, so I hope that
is
> >the right choice. I would stay away from vail, aspen ect. and all
> >southern resorts.
>
> Sounds like someone is partying just a little *too* much...with
> hallucinogens.
>
> BTW, that shit is illegal here in Utah...even if it does make The
> Canyons appear to be a paradise.

That's hillarious! Funny though. What he calls ''interesting manner" has
actually been used in engineering classes of how NOT to cut ski runs.
The place is uncrowded, but it's because it sucks.

03 Nov 2003 15:37:42

pigo wrote:

> "AstroPax" <astro@skiutahlocals.com> wrote in message
> > Sounds like someone is partying just a little *too* much...with
> > hallucinogens.
> >
> > BTW, that shit is illegal here in Utah...even if it does make The
> > Canyons appear to be a paradise.
>
> That's hillarious! Funny though. What he calls ''interesting manner" has
> actually been used in engineering classes of how NOT to cut ski runs.
> The place is uncrowded, but it's because it sucks.

Short description please? Off-camber straight-across-the-hill with
switchbacks, or something completely different?

--
Cheers,
Bev

03 Nov 2003 15:52:43
AstroPax
Re: XMas to New Year, where to ski out west? Least crowded areas?

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:37:42 CST, The Real Bev <bashley@myrealbox.com >
wrote:

>Short description please? Off-camber straight-across-the-hill with
>switchbacks, or something completely different?

Just take a look at The Canyons published trail map.

What a complete mess.

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

03 Nov 2003 16:36:37

AstroPax wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:37:42 CST, The Real Bev <bashley@myrealbox.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Short description please? Off-camber straight-across-the-hill with
> >switchbacks, or something completely different?
>
> Just take a look at The Canyons published trail map.
>
> What a complete mess.

It looks, um, complex and fragmented. Do you have to spend more than
twice as much time on the lifts as on the slopes? I've only been to the
local places, so a REAL place looks like something completely different
no matter how good or bad it is.

--
Cheers,
Bev

03 Nov 2003 20:46:56
pigo

"The Real Bev" <bashley@myrealbox.com > wrote in message
> AstroPax wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:37:42 CST, The Real Bev
<bashley@myrealbox.com >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Short description please? Off-camber straight-across-the-hill with
> > >switchbacks, or something completely different?
> >
> > Just take a look at The Canyons published trail map.
> >
> > What a complete mess.
>
> It looks, um, complex and fragmented. Do you have to spend more than
> twice as much time on the lifts as on the slopes? I've only been to
the
> local places, so a REAL place looks like something completely
different
> no matter how good or bad it is.

Picture how a typical mountain ridge looks. Up to a point from the
inclining sides. Maybe a foot or so when you come up one side before you
start to decend the other side. Now imagine a bulldozer plowing off
about 20 feet in elevation and making a "run". Now imagine the wind
blowing across it and taking off all the snow. You'll start to get the
idea.

Then figure in that they are the most in the rain shadow of any of the
resorts in the area. Waaaaay less snow. Snowboarder friendly, so what
snow there is is quickly smashed into nothing or scraped to the bottom.
It's high on the ignorant wigger scale too. I don't think there are
enough electrons to go into every aspect of how badly it sucks. But you
get the idea.

03 Nov 2003 22:28:38
John

AstroPax <astro@skiutahlocals.com > wrote in message news:<b9jdqv4oq0apjcs824b6j4kuemjs1rnvq2@4ax.com>...
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:37:42 CST, The Real Bev <bashley@myrealbox.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Short description please? Off-camber straight-across-the-hill with
> >switchbacks, or something completely different?
>
> Just take a look at The Canyons published trail map.
>
> What a complete mess.
>
> -Astro
>
> ---
> maximum exposure f/2.8
> http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
> ---

Have you even been to the Canyons? Have you only seen the trail map or
listened to the Deer Valley Crowd?

To be specific the mountain is split into two distinct areas. In fact
the two areas have distinct feels and to say that they are both
examples of poor trail construction is odd. The old Park City West
Area and the new Canyons American Skiing. Like any Mountain you need
to know how to ski it. Maybe more at the Canyons. There is some odd
stuff going on, but some of the trails and areas are fantastic. Apex
ridge is as good a trail as anywhere and Boa is also a great
intermediate run. The 9990 area is also good as is the dreamscape
area. I could speculate on some problems, but I'd like to hear some
specifics from someone who has skiied there. Moreover some aweful
trails barely make a mountain bad. Maybe this is because I grew up
skiing Killington and can tolerate this sort of thing. I just promise
that if you were to ski with me for a day you would like it.

04 Nov 2003 01:02:14

pigo wrote:

> "The Real Bev" <bashley@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>
> > AstroPax wrote:

> > > Just take a look at The Canyons published trail map.
> > >
> > > What a complete mess.
> >
> > It looks, um, complex and fragmented. Do you have to spend more than
> > twice as much time on the lifts as on the slopes? I've only been to
> > the local places, so a REAL place looks like something completely
> > different no matter how good or bad it is.
>
> Picture how a typical mountain ridge looks. Up to a point from the
> inclining sides. Maybe a foot or so when you come up one side before you
> start to decend the other side. Now imagine a bulldozer plowing off
> about 20 feet in elevation and making a "run". Now imagine the wind
> blowing across it and taking off all the snow. You'll start to get the
> idea.

That's not only awful, it's scary. There used to be an informal MC
hillclimb in Hungry Valley shaped like that. You'r fighting to get to
the top, just make it, and immediately you're accelerating off a
100-foot cliff if nobody told you about it in advance. No, I never made
it, but my son did.

> Then figure in that they are the most in the rain shadow of any of the
> resorts in the area. Waaaaay less snow. Snowboarder friendly, so what
> snow there is is quickly smashed into nothing or scraped to the bottom.
> It's high on the ignorant wigger scale too. I don't think there are
> enough electrons to go into every aspect of how badly it sucks. But you
> get the idea.

Yes, entirely sufficient. And it's not like it's the only crap game in
town...

--
Cheers,
Bev

04 Nov 2003 12:00:00
pigo

"John" <lazysegall@aol.com > wrote in message

> Have you even been to the Canyons? Have you only seen the trail map or
> listened to the Deer Valley Crowd?
>
> To be specific the mountain is split into two distinct areas. In fact
> the two areas have distinct feels and to say that they are both
> examples of poor trail construction is odd. The old Park City West
> Area and the new Canyons American Skiing. Like any Mountain you need
> to know how to ski it. Maybe more at the Canyons. There is some odd
> stuff going on, but some of the trails and areas are fantastic. Apex
> ridge is as good a trail as anywhere and Boa is also a great
> intermediate run. The 9990 area is also good as is the dreamscape
> area. I could speculate on some problems, but I'd like to hear some
> specifics from someone who has skiied there. Moreover some aweful
> trails barely make a mountain bad. Maybe this is because I grew up
> skiing Killington and can tolerate this sort of thing. I just promise
> that if you were to ski with me for a day you would like it.

I taught at park west.

The crayons is much the same only bigger. Not the ridgetop pieces of
poop but still off camber, inconsistant, flat. Not to mention the
overall inner city feel of the place. I think on the information booth
it says " ax yer kwestuns hear".

04 Nov 2003 22:16:31
AstroPax

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 22:28:38 CST, lazysegall@aol.com (John) wrote:

>Have you even been to the Canyons? Have you only seen the trail map or
>listened to the Deer Valley Crowd?

I've skied at Park West. It sucked.

I've skied at Wolf Mountain. It sucked.

I've skied at The Crayons. It SUCKS!

...and each and every time it was because I was involuntarily coerced
into doing so by either my next door neighbor (a Crayons season pass
holder at the time), or my ex-girlfriend (a snowboarder).

I don't care how often they rename the place, or how much lame terrain
the keep cutting trails on, or how many lifts they build, or how many
condos go up, the fact of the matter is that the place previously
sucked, it sucks NOW, and it will ALWAYS suck!

But hey, every ski area needs suckers, and the more people that
purchase condos and ski at The Crayons = Fewer Skiers everywhere else.

-Astro

---