25 Feb 2006 19:24:01
Andy Euroman
Rossi Carve Z boots - info wanted

I am an intermediate skier (feel comfortable on blues, dare the
occasional blacks, but fall often) and decided to purchase my own boots
as a first step towards building my own ski gear set.

I explained my situation to the guy in the local ski shop and asked him
to show me some boots that match my skill level, yet would allow me to
improve. I ended up purchasing the Rossignol Carve Z. The price was
great - only $200, and the guy explained that these are good
intermediate boots, they're just a slighlty old model (he claimed they
are from around 2003). They also fit pretty well - I feel comfortable.
However, the salesman didn't seem to know much about them and I am
still a bit concerned whether I've purchased the right boots. I have
the option to take them back before I use them for the first time.

Information on the Carve Z seems to be scarce on the Internet (which I
consider a bad sign). If anyone could share any info, experience or an
assessment of whether these are the right boots for me, I would very
much appreciate it.

Andy Euroman

26 Feb 2006 15:17:35
Norm
Re: Rossi Carve Z boots - info wanted

"Andy Euroman" <euroman812@yahoo.com > wrote in message

>I am an intermediate skier (feel comfortable on blues, dare the
> occasional blacks, but fall often) and decided to purchase my own boots
> as a first step towards building my own ski gear set.
>
> I explained my situation to the guy in the local ski shop and asked him
> to show me some boots that match my skill level, yet would allow me to
> improve. I ended up purchasing the Rossignol Carve Z. The price was
> great - only $200, and the guy explained that these are good
> intermediate boots, they're just a slighlty old model (he claimed they
> are from around 2003). They also fit pretty well - I feel comfortable.
> However, the salesman didn't seem to know much about them and I am
> still a bit concerned whether I've purchased the right boots. I have
> the option to take them back before I use them for the first time.

Andy, at your level, at most levels below racer, the main thing you need to
be concerned with is fit. People will tell you all kinds of things about
stiffness, forward lean, canting, whatever. If they don't fit they won't
work. If they do fit, all the negative press or opinions you might read mean
nothing, they are the ones.

Trouble is, if you haven't skied them for a full day, you really won't know
for sure. Its a fairly safe bet if you've been using rental equipment and
these seem to fit in the shop they will probably be better than what you are
used to.

How long did you wear them before you decided they were the ones? When I buy
boots I try on several pair, as many as the sales guy will tolerate and then
I wear one pair or two around the shop for about half an hour. Send him away
for a while and just browse around with the boots done up tight. Its not the
same as skiing but its as good as you can get. Once you have bought a boot
and skied it most good shops can make small mods to the shell & liner to
help with minor fit problems. Ski them for a day or two, mess with the
buckles and how you place the tongue then go back with as clear a
description of whatever issue you find as you can.

If you have a little more money to spend you can also get custom footbeds
made, these can be a good investment but they will not cure a boot that fits
wrong to begin with.