27 Dec 2005 16:01:30
bdubya
OT: Boarder math?

The NY Times has a piece on how the 1080 has become a more-or-less
compulsory trick for Olympic-hopeful boarders, illustrated with a cool
interactive graphic:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/27/sports/20051227_SNOWBOARD_GRAPHIC.html
(click "view all figures" to cut to the chase)

Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee, but I can only find 2.5
revolutions there, for a 900. Wonder how many boarders out there
think they're doing 1080s based on this?

bw

27 Dec 2005 16:24:14
Steven L. Sheffield
Re: OT: Boarder math?

On 12/27/2005 09:01 AM, in article
3lo2r1haquft27bn7ekjdatqre2cc9jtsk@4ax.com, "bdubya"
<bdubya@interaccess.com > wrote:

> The NY Times has a piece on how the 1080 has become a more-or-less
> compulsory trick for Olympic-hopeful boarders, illustrated with a cool
> interactive graphic:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/27/sports/20051227_SNOWBOARD_GRAPHIC.html
> (click "view all figures" to cut to the chase)
>
> Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee, but I can only find 2.5
> revolutions there, for a 900. Wonder how many boarders out there
> think they're doing 1080s based on this?

I counted 3 full revolutions.

He started goofy, and ended normal, but his ass was facing down the pipe on
both the start and the finish ... Only way to do that is to do full revos.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

27 Dec 2005 11:30:29
VtSkier
Re: OT: Boarder math?

Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
> On 12/27/2005 09:01 AM, in article
> 3lo2r1haquft27bn7ekjdatqre2cc9jtsk@4ax.com, "bdubya"
> <bdubya@interaccess.com> wrote:
>

>>The NY Times has a piece on how the 1080 has become a more-or-less
>>compulsory trick for Olympic-hopeful boarders, illustrated with a cool
>>interactive graphic:
>>
>>http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/27/sports/20051227_SNOWBOARD_GRAPHIC.html
>>(click "view all figures" to cut to the chase)
>>
>>Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee, but I can only find 2.5
>>revolutions there, for a 900. Wonder how many boarders out there
>>think they're doing 1080s based on this?
>

> I counted 3 full revolutions.
>
> He started goofy, and ended normal, but his ass was facing down the pipe on
> both the start and the finish ... Only way to do that is to do full revos.

You haven't had enough coffee either. If he landed goofy like
he started with another half-revolution, his ass would have
been down the pipe.

27 Dec 2005 11:50:56
VtSkier
Re: OT: Boarder math?

bdubya wrote:
> The NY Times has a piece on how the 1080 has become a more-or-less
> compulsory trick for Olympic-hopeful boarders, illustrated with a cool
> interactive graphic:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/27/sports/20051227_SNOWBOARD_GRAPHIC.html
> (click "view all figures" to cut to the chase)
>
> Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee, but I can only find 2.5
> revolutions there, for a 900. Wonder how many boarders out there
> think they're doing 1080s based on this?
>
> bw

I think you are right. It appears that he landed it
fakey. Left foot forward on take off, right foot
forward on landing. It's either a 900 or a 1260. But
then it is a snowboarder.

Hey, let's start a campaign about how FUN the pipe
and the park are and maybe, they'll stay off the
mountain. YaThink? Nah, probably not.

27 Dec 2005 09:05:05
Richard Henry
Re: OT: Boarder math?

"VtSkier" <VtSkier@nospam.net > wrote in message
> bdubya wrote:
> > The NY Times has a piece on how the 1080 has become a more-or-less
> > compulsory trick for Olympic-hopeful boarders, illustrated with a cool
> > interactive graphic:
> >
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/27/sports/20051227_SNOWBOARD_GRAPHIC.html
> > (click "view all figures" to cut to the chase)
> >
> > Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee, but I can only find 2.5
> > revolutions there, for a 900. Wonder how many boarders out there
> > think they're doing 1080s based on this?
> >
> > bw
>
> I think you are right. It appears that he landed it
> fakey. Left foot forward on take off, right foot
> forward on landing. It's either a 900 or a 1260. But
> then it is a snowboarder.
>
> Hey, let's start a campaign about how FUN the pipe
> and the park are and maybe, they'll stay off the
> mountain. YaThink? Nah, probably not.

NPR news this morning had a cell-phone report from the top of the new
Breckenridge high-altitude lift - from a snowboarder.

27 Dec 2005 17:26:40
Steven L. Sheffield
Re: OT: Boarder math?

On 12/27/2005 09:30 AM, in article 41d8h9F1dskhsU1@individual.net, "VtSkier"
<VtSkier@nospam.net > wrote:

> Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
>> On 12/27/2005 09:01 AM, in article
>> 3lo2r1haquft27bn7ekjdatqre2cc9jtsk@4ax.com, "bdubya"
>> <bdubya@interaccess.com> wrote:
>>

>>> The NY Times has a piece on how the 1080 has become a more-or-less
>>> compulsory trick for Olympic-hopeful boarders, illustrated with a cool
>>> interactive graphic:
>>>
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/27/sports/20051227_SNOWBOARD_GRAPHIC.html
>>> (click "view all figures" to cut to the chase)
>>>
>>> Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee, but I can only find 2.5
>>> revolutions there, for a 900. Wonder how many boarders out there
>>> think they're doing 1080s based on this?
>>

>> I counted 3 full revolutions.
>>
>> He started goofy, and ended normal, but his ass was facing down the pipe on
>> both the start and the finish ... Only way to do that is to do full revos.
>
> You haven't had enough coffee either. If he landed goofy like
> he started with another half-revolution, his ass would have
> been down the pipe.

No ... He started goofy (left foot forward, up the pipe, right foot
trailing, down the pipe). He ended normal (right foot forward, down the
pipe, left foot trailing, up the pipe).

3 full revos.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com
double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [foreword] slash

27 Dec 2005 17:26:15
bdubya
Re: OT: Boarder math?

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 09:05:05 -0800, "Richard Henry" <rphenry@home.com >
wrote:

>"VtSkier" <VtSkier@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> bdubya wrote:
>> > The NY Times has a piece on how the 1080 has become a more-or-less
>> > compulsory trick for Olympic-hopeful boarders, illustrated with a cool
>> > interactive graphic:
>> >
>> > http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/27/sports/20051227_SNOWBOARD_GRAPHIC.html
>> > (click "view all figures" to cut to the chase)
>> >
>> > Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee, but I can only find 2.5
>> > revolutions there, for a 900. Wonder how many boarders out there
>> > think they're doing 1080s based on this?
>> >
>> > bw
>>
>> I think you are right. It appears that he landed it
>> fakey. Left foot forward on take off, right foot
>> forward on landing. It's either a 900 or a 1260. But
>> then it is a snowboarder.
>>
>> Hey, let's start a campaign about how FUN the pipe
>> and the park are and maybe, they'll stay off the
>> mountain. YaThink? Nah, probably not.
>
>NPR news this morning had a cell-phone report from the top of the new
>Breckenridge high-altitude lift - from a snowboarder.

I heard that. Found a transcript, too:
"I'm speaking from the unloading zone at the top of the new lift at
Breckenridge, where I'm sitting on my ass strapping in and watching
the skiers get pissed at having to veer around me just as they come
off the lift. It's hella cool up here. Back to you, Sondra...."

bw

27 Dec 2005 17:38:48
bdubya
Re: OT: Boarder math?

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:30:29 -0500, VtSkier <VtSkier@nospam.net >
wrote:

>Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
>> On 12/27/2005 09:01 AM, in article
>> 3lo2r1haquft27bn7ekjdatqre2cc9jtsk@4ax.com, "bdubya"
>> <bdubya@interaccess.com> wrote:
>>

>>>The NY Times has a piece on how the 1080 has become a more-or-less
>>>compulsory trick for Olympic-hopeful boarders, illustrated with a cool
>>>interactive graphic:
>>>
>>>http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/27/sports/20051227_SNOWBOARD_GRAPHIC.html
>>>(click "view all figures" to cut to the chase)
>>>
>>>Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee, but I can only find 2.5
>>>revolutions there, for a 900. Wonder how many boarders out there
>>>think they're doing 1080s based on this?
>>

>> I counted 3 full revolutions.
>>
>> He started goofy, and ended normal, but his ass was facing down the pipe on
>> both the start and the finish ... Only way to do that is to do full revos.
>
>You haven't had enough coffee either. If he landed goofy like
>he started with another half-revolution, his ass would have
>been down the pipe.

Seems like there might be some confusion between down-pipe and
down-wall (towards the centerline of the pipe). Seems to me if he
launches goofy, with his ass down-pipe, and does just what I would
call a half-revolution, landing normal, then he's done a 180, and his
ass is still down-pipe. OTOH, if I ski straight up the pipe wall,
with my left arm down-pipe, do a small hop when I run out of velocity
at the apex (not a hop-turn, just a hop), and come back down the wall
tail-first, with my left arm still down-pipe, then I haven't done much
of anything. Better brew more coffee, I guess.

bw

27 Dec 2005 23:31:19
Mary Malmros
Re: OT: Boarder math?

Richard Henry wrote:
> "VtSkier" <VtSkier@nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>bdubya wrote:
>>
>>>The NY Times has a piece on how the 1080 has become a more-or-less
>>>compulsory trick for Olympic-hopeful boarders, illustrated with a cool
>>>interactive graphic:
>>>
>>>http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/27/sports/20051227_SNOWBOARD_GRAPHIC.html
>>>(click "view all figures" to cut to the chase)
>>>
>>>Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee, but I can only find 2.5
>>>revolutions there, for a 900. Wonder how many boarders out there
>>>think they're doing 1080s based on this?
>>>
>>>bw
>>
>>I think you are right. It appears that he landed it
>>fakey. Left foot forward on take off, right foot
>>forward on landing. It's either a 900 or a 1260. But
>>then it is a snowboarder.
>>
>>Hey, let's start a campaign about how FUN the pipe
>>and the park are and maybe, they'll stay off the
>>mountain. YaThink? Nah, probably not.
>

> NPR news this morning had a cell-phone report from the top of the new
> Breckenridge high-altitude lift - from a snowboarder.

I saw a beaut the other day. Expensive yuppie vehicle drives where no
vehicle was meant to go, past all parking lots and along a sidewalk -- a
wide sidewalk, granted, but it gets a lot of traffic -- and right up to
the ticket windows at Mount Snow. Yuppie Dad gets out, Yuppie Mom and
Kids pile out, start unloading their bags and this and that and...skis.
You got it. Skis.

Now, Richard and VT, both of you: stop acting like your shit don't stink
and that you're god's gift to the mountain because you've got two
planks, and stop deluding yourself that there aren't puh-lenty of skiers
who haul out their ear-crack dispenser aka cellphone in puh-lenty of
inappropriate places.

27 Dec 2005 15:32:50
Jeff
Re: OT: Boarder math?

bdubya wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 09:05:05 -0800, "Richard Henry" <rphenry@home.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"VtSkier" <VtSkier@nospam.net> wrote in message

> >> I think you are right. It appears that he landed it
> >> fakey. Left foot forward on take off, right foot
> >> forward on landing. It's either a 900 or a 1260. But
> >> then it is a snowboarder.
> >>
> >> Hey, let's start a campaign about how FUN the pipe
> >> and the park are and maybe, they'll stay off the
> >> mountain. YaThink? Nah, probably not.
> >
> >NPR news this morning had a cell-phone report from the top of the new
> >Breckenridge high-altitude lift - from a snowboarder.
>
> I heard that. Found a transcript, too:
> "I'm speaking from the unloading zone at the top of the new lift at
> Breckenridge, where I'm sitting on my ass strapping in and watching
> the skiers get pissed at having to veer around me just as they come
> off the lift. It's hella cool up here. Back to you, Sondra...."

On the message boards for our local ski area, I recommended that they
place some benches for people to sit on near the unloading areas.
(Hint: people==boarders). The very next week there were benches near
the lifts and boarders sitting on the trail....

Jeff

27 Dec 2005 18:36:48
VtSkier
Re: OT: Boarder math?

Mary Malmros wrote:

> Richard Henry wrote:
>
>> "VtSkier" <VtSkier@nospam.net> wrote in message

>>> I think you are right. It appears that he landed it
>>> fakey. Left foot forward on take off, right foot
>>> forward on landing. It's either a 900 or a 1260. But
>>> then it is a snowboarder.
>>>
>>> Hey, let's start a campaign about how FUN the pipe
>>> and the park are and maybe, they'll stay off the
>>> mountain. YaThink? Nah, probably not.
>>

>> NPR news this morning had a cell-phone report from the top of the new
>> Breckenridge high-altitude lift - from a snowboarder.
>

> I saw a beaut the other day. Expensive yuppie vehicle drives where no
> vehicle was meant to go, past all parking lots and along a sidewalk -- a
> wide sidewalk, granted, but it gets a lot of traffic -- and right up to
> the ticket windows at Mount Snow. Yuppie Dad gets out, Yuppie Mom and
> Kids pile out, start unloading their bags and this and that and...skis.
> You got it. Skis.
>
> Now, Richard and VT, both of you: stop acting like your shit don't stink
> and that you're god's gift to the mountain because you've got two
> planks, and stop deluding yourself that there aren't puh-lenty of skiers
> who haul out their ear-crack dispenser aka cellphone in puh-lenty of
> inappropriate places.

Oh, yeah, my shit don't stink. And this is a funny story.
Thanks for sharing.

27 Dec 2005 17:22:22
pigo
Re: OT: Boarder math?

But who even cares?

10' of air over a completely groomed out and safe landing zone (being
generous). Even schattie would have the "balls" to do that.
"bdubya" <bdubya@interaccess.com > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:30:29 -0500, VtSkier <VtSkier@nospam.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
>>> On 12/27/2005 09:01 AM, in article
>>> 3lo2r1haquft27bn7ekjdatqre2cc9jtsk@4ax.com, "bdubya"

>>> I counted 3 full revolutions.
>>>
>>> He started goofy, and ended normal, but his ass was facing down
>>> the pipe on
>>> both the start and the finish ... Only way to do that is to do
>>> full revos.
>>
>>You haven't had enough coffee either. If he landed goofy like
>>he started with another half-revolution, his ass would have
>>been down the pipe.
>

> Seems like there might be some confusion between down-pipe and
> down-wall (towards the centerline of the pipe). Seems to me if he
> launches goofy, with his ass down-pipe, and does just what I would
> call a half-revolution, landing normal, then he's done a 180, and
> his
> ass is still down-pipe. OTOH, if I ski straight up the pipe wall,
> with my left arm down-pipe, do a small hop when I run out of
> velocity
> at the apex (not a hop-turn, just a hop), and come back down the
> wall
> tail-first, with my left arm still down-pipe, then I haven't done
> much
> of anything. Better brew more coffee, I guess.
>
> bw

28 Dec 2005 12:13:54
ant
Re: OT: Boarder math?

bdubya wrote:

> Seems to me if he
> launches goofy, with his ass down-pipe, (snip) and his
> ass is still down-pipe.

I really don't like to think about snowboarders' asses at all, let alone
this much.

--
ant

29 Dec 2005 16:39:51
Sue
Re: OT: Boarder math?

In message <b9ksf.1479$yx.289@trndny01 >, Mary Malmros
<malmrosnospam@verizonnospam.net > writes

>Now, Richard and VT, both of you: stop acting like your shit don't
>stink and that you're god's gift to the mountain because you've got two
>planks, and stop deluding yourself that there aren't puh-lenty of
>skiers who haul out their ear-crack dispenser aka cellphone in
>puh-lenty of inappropriate places.

Modern child training centres on the positive. Rather than tell them to
not do something, you should say what you would like them to do. In the
same context, of course.
So how would you suggest they go about trolling here if they aren't to
be self-righteous?

--
Sue ];(:)

03 Jan 2006 17:58:46
Two Buddha
Re: OT: Boarder math?

"Sue" <Sue@blackhole.invalid > wrote in message
> In message <b9ksf.1479$yx.289@trndny01>, Mary Malmros
> <malmrosnospam@verizonnospam.net> writes
>>
>>Now, Richard and VT, both of you: stop acting like your shit don't stink
>>and that you're god's gift to the mountain because you've got two planks,
>>and stop deluding yourself that there aren't puh-lenty of skiers who haul
>>out their ear-crack dispenser aka cellphone in puh-lenty of inappropriate
>>places.
>>

> Modern child training centres on the positive. Rather than tell them to
> not do something, you should say what you would like them to do. In the
> same context, of course.
> So how would you suggest they go about trolling here if they aren't to be
> self-righteous?

Let's try it.
All of you scumbags, start telling the truth. Start acting with ethics and
decency. Start ratting out your sick buddies, and telling the cops about
the crimes you have committed.
I'm waiting........

http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups