28 Oct 2003 16:31:29
nafod40
Idea for making snow

I wonder if the snowmakers were to mix gelatin with the water at high
temperature, then blow it out through the guns, if, when temps got above
freezing, it would just sit there, instead of running off the mountain.

Thoughts?



28 Oct 2003 21:43:01
Seth Masia
Re: Idea for making snow

How would you wax for jello?

Seth

"nafod40" <noneya@business.com > wrote in message
news:3F9EE031.9000504@business.com...
> I wonder if the snowmakers were to mix gelatin with the water at high
> temperature, then blow it out through the guns, if, when temps got above
> freezing, it would just sit there, instead of running off the mountain.
>
> Thoughts?
>




28 Oct 2003 14:00:18
Richard Henry
Re: Idea for making snow


"Seth Masia" <smasia@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:EpBnb.51457$Tr4.107464@attbi_s03...
> How would you wax for jello?

We covered this already. Mayonnaise.





28 Oct 2003 20:22:16
Michael Dart
Re: Idea for making snow


"Richard Henry" <rphenry@home.com > wrote in message
news:XFBnb.97740$La.60213@fed1read02...
>
> "Seth Masia" <smasia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:EpBnb.51457$Tr4.107464@attbi_s03...
> > How would you wax for jello?
>
> We covered this already. Mayonnaise.
>

Toss in some marshmallows and you'd have Waldorf salad. ;^)

Mike




28 Oct 2003 19:23:27
Bob Lee
Re: Idea for making snow

nafod40 wrote:

> I wonder if the snowmakers were to mix gelatin with the water at high
> temperature, then blow it out through the guns, if, when temps got above
> freezing, it would just sit there, instead of running off the mountain.
>
> Thoughts?

What flavor? I could see a nice coconut layer.

Bob


29 Oct 2003 09:46:01
Terd Fartingmor
Re: Re: Idea for making snow

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:43:01 GMT, "Seth Masia" <smasia@hotmail.com >
wrote this crap:

>How would you wax for jello?

Same as always. Turtle wax.


>
>"nafod40" <noneya@business.com> wrote in message
>news:3F9EE031.9000504@business.com...
>> I wonder if the snowmakers were to mix gelatin with the water at high
>> temperature, then blow it out through the guns, if, when temps got above
>> freezing, it would just sit there, instead of running off the mountain.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>

Hero@Horvath

I don't spend my money on food. I spend most of my money
on women, porn, booze, and recreation. The rest of it I just waste.


29 Oct 2003 09:41:30
Jay Pique
Re: Idea for making snow

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:23:27 -0700, Bob Lee <rlee@swcp.com > wrote:

>nafod40 wrote:
>
>> I wonder if the snowmakers were to mix gelatin with the water at high
>> temperature, then blow it out through the guns, if, when temps got above
>> freezing, it would just sit there, instead of running off the mountain.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
>What flavor? I could see a nice coconut layer.

For some reason this thread makes me think of the KY Jelly Wrestling
scene in "Old School". Man, could you imagine "Naked Muddy Slush Pit
Wrestling" at the bottom of A-Basin at the end of the year?!!! Women
only, of course. And eye-protection would probably be necessary....

<growl >

JP
***************************
"And then I see that fuckin' look in her eye" heheheHEEEEhahaha!!!!!


30 Oct 2003 09:40:39
Ed Pauls
Re: Idea for making snow



> It would not work in Utah, the locals would get down on there hands and
> knees and eat it up. Especially if it were green jello.

Good Ol' Ed




29 Oct 2003 16:56:46
Seth Masia
Re: Idea for making snow

A-Basin already has this but it's for canines only. When the action slows
down we just toss hot dogs into the slush.

Seth

"Jay Pique" <JayPique@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:j5kvpv85flpmcqs8pi14o6qheh3us5vcmg@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:23:27 -0700, Bob Lee <rlee@swcp.com> wrote:
>
> >nafod40 wrote:
> >
> >> I wonder if the snowmakers were to mix gelatin with the water at high
> >> temperature, then blow it out through the guns, if, when temps got
above
> >> freezing, it would just sit there, instead of running off the mountain.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >
> >What flavor? I could see a nice coconut layer.
>
> For some reason this thread makes me think of the KY Jelly Wrestling
> scene in "Old School". Man, could you imagine "Naked Muddy Slush Pit
> Wrestling" at the bottom of A-Basin at the end of the year?!!! Women
> only, of course. And eye-protection would probably be necessary....
>
> <growl>
>
> JP
> ***************************
> "And then I see that fuckin' look in her eye" heheheHEEEEhahaha!!!!!




29 Oct 2003 11:02:59
bdubya
Re: Idea for making snow

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:41:30 -0500, Jay Pique <JayPique@hotmail.com >
wrote:
(big snip)

>KY Jelly

Those guys ROCK!
http://www.bandfile.net/haveasandwich/
(So does Godwafer, for that matter)

bw


31 Oct 2003 18:46:41
Sue
Re: Idea for making snow

In message <3F9EE031.9000504@business.com >, nafod40
<noneya@business.com > writes
>I wonder if the snowmakers were to mix gelatin with the water at high
>temperature, then blow it out through the guns, if, when temps got
>above freezing, it would just sit there, instead of running off the
>mountain.
>
>Thoughts?
>
When it's above freezing the stuff would melt, leaving a jelly-covered
hillside. This would proabably be too sticky to slide down. The fun
would start when it froze again, giving you a hillside covered in
something very much like solid ice.

Please remember to include some small fish in the mixture - they'd be
easily visible from the surface, and would warn people what they were
sliding on.
Brightly-coloured "Disney" fish would be best.
--
Sue ];(:)


02 Nov 2003 17:38:37
nafod40
Re: Idea for making snow



Sue wrote:
> In message <3F9EE031.9000504@business.com>, nafod40
> <noneya@business.com> writes
>
>> I wonder if the snowmakers were to mix gelatin with the water at high
>> temperature, then blow it out through the guns, if, when temps got
>> above freezing, it would just sit there, instead of running off the
>> mountain.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
> When it's above freezing the stuff would melt, leaving a jelly-covered
> hillside. This would proabably be too sticky to slide down. The fun
> would start when it froze again, giving you a hillside covered in
> something very much like solid ice.

I wouldn't advocate skiing on the stuff in it's gelled condition. That's
strictly for getting through the big thaw. The real key is if air got
entrained in the gel when the snow is blown, it might make it through a
thaw and not turn into a glacier post-freeze. But if it did, that's
still better than no snow. Loud powder, I like to call it.

> Please remember to include some small fish in the mixture - they'd be
> easily visible from the surface, and would warn people what they were
> sliding on.

I was thinking aromatics, so you could have different themes for
different runs. Margaritaville would be sunny south facing slope with a
hint of coconut in the air.



07 Nov 2003 20:57:03
Sue
Re: Idea for making snow

In message <3FA5876D.3080202@business.com >, nafod40
<noneya@business.com > writes
>
>>> I wonder if the snowmakers were to mix gelatin with the water

>I wouldn't advocate skiing on the stuff in it's gelled condition.
>That's strictly for getting through the big thaw. The real key is if
>air got entrained in the gel when the snow is blown, it might make it
>through a thaw and not turn into a glacier post-freeze. But if it did,
>that's still better than no snow. Loud powder, I like to call it.

In my first ever week skiing, one of the unexpected things I encountered
was an entire hillside of shiny, hard, pale-blue, loud powder. I very
soon (and frequently during my one trip down it) had a chance to look at
it carefully from close up; it seemed to be water ice with a great many
small air bubbles entrained in it.
The only possible source of the water ice was artificial snow that had
melted almost to water and then refrozen. Since the slope was
moderately steep (a diversion of an easy run closed for lack of snow) I
wondered why the slush had stayed put and not run off.
Gelatine sounds a likely answer - I didn't fall on my face so I don't
know if it was flavoured.

>
>> Please remember to include some small fish in the mixture - they'd be
>>easily visible from the surface, and would warn people what they were
>>sliding on.
>
>I was thinking aromatics, so you could have different themes for
>different runs. Margaritaville would be sunny south facing slope with a
>hint of coconut in the air.
>
I quite like the smell of sun-warmed conifers bordering a lower slope,
maybe a hint of woodsmoke (or weedsmoke, but definitely not tobacco)
near your destination.
Upper slopes ought to be too cold to smell anything.
--
Sue ];(:)