21 Dec 2005 17:50:28
Bryan
Best Resort: Northshore Tahoe/Truckee 12/21/05

Going to Sugar Bowl, Squaw, or Northstar on 12/22 and 12/23.
Have non-refundable hotel and a promise to two kids.
Weather calls for rain and high winds

If this weather forecast holds, which is the best of these resorts for those
conditions?

Thanks

21 Dec 2005 12:56:25
Sven Golly
Re: Best Resort: Northshore Tahoe/Truckee 12/21/05

"Bryan" <bryan..459@pac.bell.net > wrote in

> If this weather forecast holds, which is the best of these resorts
> for those conditions?

None of the above. You could drive to Kirkwood. If not, then I'd probably
go for Squaw since you can ski above the Tram with a fair amount of
variety.

--
Sven Golly
Trolling as usual

21 Dec 2005 10:33:20
LeeD
Re: Best Resort: Northshore Tahoe/Truckee 12/21/05

Kinda bad advice you got......
While certainly Squaw and Kirkwood are steeper resorts....
Wind forecast is for strong winds.
Squaw and Kirk often close the whole upper mountain and upper lifts
in those conditions.
Northstar is KNOWN for being the only mountain, besides Homewood,
that is barely affected by 60mph winds. Everything will be open, you
will have a great time.
Sugar is most affected by high winds, so if it's even over 30mph,
only the lower beginner runs are open.

21 Dec 2005 13:43:21

"LeeD" <domsports@yahoo.com > wrote in news:1135190000.524337.303890
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Kinda bad advice you got......
> While certainly Squaw and Kirkwood are steeper resorts....
> Squaw and Kirk often close the whole upper mountain and upper lifts
> in those conditions.

Kirk has a much higher base and gets snow when others get rain. I've
skied there a lot and even under high winds, there are lots of protected
places to ski.

Squaw has a fair amount of protected tree runs off to skier's left above
the Tram. Again, I've skied Squaw a lot and have always found places to
ski on the upper mountain even in winds. Not real fun but doable.

> Northstar is KNOWN for being the only mountain, besides Homewood,
> that is barely affected by 60mph winds. Everything will be open, you
> will have a great time.

I'll admit I've only skied Northstar once so my info is mostly 2nd hand.
If it's less affected by rain or wind then OP should go for it. Homewood
isn't open yet although they're talking about tomorrow. I have my doubts
- they'll be hurting if temps are warm.

--
Sven Golly
Trolling as usual

21 Dec 2005 11:08:48
LeeD
Re: Best Resort: Northshore Tahoe/Truckee 12/21/05

Actually, temperatures might make the difference this weekend.
So maybe I"m wrong again.
If it's 7,000 feet snowline, you gotta get high, but not into the
wind. Tough decision.
Wet is totally miserable, for anyone
So daytime temps have to be below 30 for Northstar, otherwise it's
low altitude will get rain.
Winds are a problem. I used to ski Squaw with 5 years worth of
season's passes, and quite often, only GoldCoast and Shirley at upper
is open, even KT is closed, as is red dog, Cornice, Headwall, Siberia,
GC, Oly.......
But skiing with 2 non expert kids, you'll have fun even on
intermediate slopes, and Northstar is nothing but those with so little
snowbase.
Bring plastic garbage can liners, for your torso.

21 Dec 2005 13:09:12
Re: Best Resort: Northshore Tahoe/Truckee 12/21/05

Kirkwood has a new HS quad on it's beginner hill and it's very well
protected from wind.

21 Dec 2005 13:45:26
LeeD
Re: Best Resort: Northshore Tahoe/Truckee 12/21/05

Kirkwood does have those 7-11 chairs that are low and tree protected.
But waaay too flat for any powder day, and usually not great
grooming.
The drive in and out is fun during snowperiods too.

22 Dec 2005 01:13:16
Bryan

"LeeD" <domsports@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> Kinda bad advice you got......
> While certainly Squaw and Kirkwood are steeper resorts....
> Wind forecast is for strong winds.
> Squaw and Kirk often close the whole upper mountain and upper lifts
> in those conditions.
> Northstar is KNOWN for being the only mountain, besides Homewood,
> that is barely affected by 60mph winds. Everything will be open, you
> will have a great time.
> Sugar is most affected by high winds, so if it's even over 30mph,
> only the lower beginner runs are open.

Thank you.
I seem to recall Squaw closed last year while Homewood was still open and
Northstar.
Wasn't sure I recalling accurately.

22 Dec 2005 01:14:48
Bryan

"Sven Golly" <sven_golly@myrealbox.com > wrote in message
> "LeeD" <domsports@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1135190000.524337.303890
> @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Kinda bad advice you got......
>> While certainly Squaw and Kirkwood are steeper resorts....
>> Squaw and Kirk often close the whole upper mountain and upper lifts
>> in those conditions.
>
> Kirk has a much higher base and gets snow when others get rain. I've
> skied there a lot and even under high winds, there are lots of protected
> places to ski.
>
> Squaw has a fair amount of protected tree runs off to skier's left above
> the Tram. Again, I've skied Squaw a lot and have always found places to
> ski on the upper mountain even in winds. Not real fun but doable.
>
>> Northstar is KNOWN for being the only mountain, besides Homewood,
>> that is barely affected by 60mph winds. Everything will be open, you
>> will have a great time.
>
> I'll admit I've only skied Northstar once so my info is mostly 2nd hand.
> If it's less affected by rain or wind then OP should go for it. Homewood
> isn't open yet although they're talking about tomorrow. I have my doubts
> - they'll be hurting if temps are warm.
>
> --
> Sven Golly
> Trolling as usual
> Remove the _ to reply by email

I appreciate the Kirkwood suggestion, but it's not an option.

22 Dec 2005 01:15:53
Bryan

> Actually, temperatures might make the difference this weekend.
> So maybe I"m wrong again.
> If it's 7,000 feet snowline, you gotta get high, but not into the
> wind. Tough decision.
> Wet is totally miserable, for anyone
> So daytime temps have to be below 30 for Northstar, otherwise it's
> low altitude will get rain.
> Winds are a problem. I used to ski Squaw with 5 years worth of
> season's passes, and quite often, only GoldCoast and Shirley at upper
> is open, even KT is closed, as is red dog, Cornice, Headwall, Siberia,
> GC, Oly.......
> But skiing with 2 non expert kids, you'll have fun even on
> intermediate slopes, and Northstar is nothing but those with so little
> snowbase.
> Bring plastic garbage can liners, for your torso.

I thought all the resorts provided garbage bags for rainy days.

22 Dec 2005 01:18:06
Bryan

> Kirkwood does have those 7-11 chairs that are low and tree protected.

Well, the wind prediction has dropped significantly since I posted my
question, but the rain showers are still holding strong. A lot of room for
improvement over the next 15 hours!