31 Oct 2004 10:04:18
Peter R.
Bad Experience with Tecnica

Last year, in December, I got a pair of Tecnica Rival RX boots from
the local dealer. The dealer was very helpful, knew his stuff and I
was confident to shell out the 300 Euro's (375 USD) for the boots. At
first, I was mighty pleased with them. I spent several hours in the
indoor slopes getting used to them, and then, at the end of December,
we went to Ischgl for a week, and all was well.
That is, until the last day of the trip, when I started to feel a
rubbing pain on my right inner ankle, getting progressively worse
during the course of the day accumulating in a painful stabbing
sensation in my ankle.
I got back from the trip an immediately contacted the dealer. After
listening to me, he proposed to expand the boot a but in the ankle
section, giving me some more room. He did this, and I proceeded to the
indoor slopes. Although there was slight relief it still hurt, so I
took them back. He expanded them a bit more, but to no avail. We then
noticed the inner boot had compressed somewhat, slightly exposing one
of the heating wires in the boot. Thinking maybe this was the culprit,
the dealer ordered some new inner boots, which promptly arrived. These
seemed to alleviate the problem.
That is, until in March, on the first day of a 14 day holiday, where
I put them on and they felt as if someone had stuck a screwdriver into
my ankle. It was horrible, and I could not wear the boots. Not wanting
to ruin my holiday, I bought a pair of spare boots, and merrily skied
away for 10 days.
Arriving back home, I contacted Tecnica Headquarters in Italy by
email.
A few days later I was contacted by a guy claiming to be the regional
distributor for Tecnica, to whom I repeated the story. We had several
email and telephone conversations about the matter, cumulating in him
promising an appointment with him at the dealers premises to see what
could be done.
After this, all went quiet. I waited for two months, and called him
again. He pretended he did not remember the matter but asked for my
phone number and promised to call me back. I did not hear from him,
nor did he answer the email I sent him.
Two weeks (or so) ago I sent an email to Tecnica Headquarters in Italy
explaining what had happened so far, and I was not too impressed with
their customer service.
I asked them to get back to me, explaining that if they did not there
would be no other recourse open to me than to tell the story to
everyone that would hear it so they would not suffer the same
inconvenience.
They've stayed stumm so far.

Be forwarned folks. Once they have your money, they won't know you
anymore.

Peter R.

31 Oct 2004 12:31:35
Walt
Re: Bad Experience with Tecnica

Peter R. wrote:

> We then
> noticed the inner boot had compressed somewhat, slightly exposing one
> of the heating wires in the boot.

WTF? Heating wires? You bought boots with heating wires?

--
// Walt
//

31 Oct 2004 18:19:15
Peter R.
Re: Bad Experience with Tecnica

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:31:35 -0500, Walt <walt@boatnerd.com.invalid >
wrote:

>Peter R. wrote:
>
>> We then
>> noticed the inner boot had compressed somewhat, slightly exposing one
>> of the heating wires in the boot.
>

>WTF? Heating wires? You bought boots with heating wires?

Yeah ! They call it 'Hotform' and it's used to :
1. When first fitted it's heated up so the material of the inner boot
becomes more maleable and conforms to the shape of your foot-leg.
2. You can preheat them with an adapter in the cigarette lighter in
your car on cold days. Very confortable, that.

Peter R,