17 Mar 2008 06:31:48
sara D
kona diving

Hi , just checking into Kona dive operations, any recommendations,
prices , location etc.
Also anyone use or know one called Wanna Dive?thanks

17 Mar 2008 07:03:26
-hh
Re: kona diving

sara D wrote:
> Hi , just checking into Kona dive operations, any recommendations,
> prices , location etc.

I used "Kona Honu Divers" back in November. I would *not* use them
again, as they were too much of a tourist cattle car operation for my
liking. I found it very frustrating to show up at the appointed
meeting time and then be expected to stand around on the dock to watch
them set up rental gear for 30 minutes before they were finally ready
for customer boarding.

> Also anyone use or =A0know =A0one called Wanna Dive? thanks

Looking at their website, they run a sixpack. Their night manta dive
is also cheaper than what Kona Honu charges, so knowing nothing else,
they would already be on my short list.

I'd also look them up in the "Big Island Revealed" guidebook; here's
the publisher's website:

http://www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/bigsample.html

I have a copy of it at home; if I get a chance I'll post what they
say. FYI, in their online update section, they report that "Kona
Coast" under SCUBA (page 227) was bought by Jack's Diving Locker.
IIRC, Jack's gets pretty good reviews .. I'd probably look into them
some too.

-hh

17 Mar 2008 11:07:06
Greg Mossman
Re: kona diving

On Mar 17, 7:03=A0am, -hh <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com > wrote:
> sara D wrote:
> > Hi , just checking into Kona dive operations, any recommendations,
> > prices , location etc.
>
> I used "Kona Honu Divers" back in November. =A0I would *not* use them
> again, as they were too much of a tourist cattle car operation for my
> liking. =A0I found it very frustrating to show up at the appointed
> meeting time and then be expected to stand around on the dock to watch
> them set up rental gear for 30 minutes before they were finally ready
> for customer boarding.

> I have a copy of it at home; if I get a chance I'll post what they
> say. =A0FYI, in their online update section, they report that "Kona
> Coast" under SCUBA (page 227) was bought by Jack's Diving Locker.
> IIRC, Jack's gets pretty good reviews .. I'd probably look into them
> some too.

I found Jack's a bit too big for my tastes. Lots of sitting around
for the same reasons as KHD. One of the guides seemed a lot more
intent on getting his own photos than letting his guests get theirs
and had a really bad habit of laying down to shoot his subjects -
mostly on dead coral, but a bad habit nonetheless. Guides were all
young and relatively inexperienced, probably using Jack's as a
training ground to cut their teeth.

I'll probably try Dive Makai on my next trip if I'm not on the
Aggressor.

20 Mar 2008 17:19:19
Dillon Pyron
Re: kona diving

[Default] Thus spake Greg Mossman <mossman@qnet.com >:

>On Mar 17, 7:03 am, -hh <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
>> sara D wrote:
>> > Hi , just checking into Kona dive operations, any recommendations,
>> > prices , location etc.
>>
>> I used "Kona Honu Divers" back in November.  I would *not* use them
>> again, as they were too much of a tourist cattle car operation for my
>> liking.  I found it very frustrating to show up at the appointed
>> meeting time and then be expected to stand around on the dock to watch
>> them set up rental gear for 30 minutes before they were finally ready
>> for customer boarding.
>
>> I have a copy of it at home; if I get a chance I'll post what they
>> say.  FYI, in their online update section, they report that "Kona
>> Coast" under SCUBA (page 227) was bought by Jack's Diving Locker.
>> IIRC, Jack's gets pretty good reviews .. I'd probably look into them
>> some too.
>
>I found Jack's a bit too big for my tastes. Lots of sitting around
>for the same reasons as KHD. One of the guides seemed a lot more
>intent on getting his own photos than letting his guests get theirs
>and had a really bad habit of laying down to shoot his subjects -
>mostly on dead coral, but a bad habit nonetheless. Guides were all
>young and relatively inexperienced, probably using Jack's as a
>training ground to cut their teeth.
>
>I'll probably try Dive Makai on my next trip if I'm not on the
>Aggressor.

I've been happy with them on every tirp we've ever taken with them.
They are under new management now, and I don't know who's left from
the old crew. I think Kendra left after she got married and round
bellied.