06 Aug 2007 18:04:45
M@
Puerto Rico Diving?

Curious to see if there is anything decent on the north east side of
the island. Looking for honest answers, not ads thanks.

I've seen a lot of negative posts about any diving in PR. Is it
really that bad? It's been about 2 years since I got my
certification, so I'd probably need to do some kind of refresher
course as well.

I'm going down with my family and friends and thought I would try to
find something decent going out of Fajardo. We did some nice scuba
diving on an island right near there, so I thought I might try some
diving there.

thanks!

06 Aug 2007 14:57:26
Greg Mossman
Re: Puerto Rico Diving?

On Aug 6, 11:04 am, "M@" <mattcush...@gmail.com > wrote:

> I've seen a lot of negative posts about any diving in PR. Is it
> really that bad? It's been about 2 years since I got my
> certification, so I'd probably need to do some kind of refresher
> course as well.

Yes, it's really that bad. A refresher course should be OK there as
the instructors tend to speak English and U.S. liability laws are in
effect. But the diving off Fajardo suffers from the runoff of El
Yunque, causing lousy viz in the shallows. We did a dive a little
further out, at one of the islets, and that was a bit better, but
there's still not much to see fish or coral-wise. We did see a
dolphin, but that's hardly guaranteed.

> I'm going down with my family and friends and thought I would try to
> find something decent going out of Fajardo. We did some nice scuba
> diving on an island right near there, so I thought I might try some
> diving there.

If you can get out to Vieques and Culebra, it's supposed to be much
better. Otherwise, the best you'll find is in the opposite corner of
the island, a three-hour-plus drive each way, and the little bit I
experienced there (Guanica) wasn't worth the effort. We were there in
March and the winds were up and limited our site choice, so you might
have better luck in better weather.

Humacao is a short drive south of Fajardo and offers a compromise:
better visibility than Fajardo, but much closer than the southeast
corner of the island.