28 Jun 2005 14:56:45
Daddy
Looking for suggestions.

My bride to be and I are looking to go to a dive destination for our
honeymoon. She is a non diver so we are either looking for a place with
scuba/snorkeling sites, or a place where she can do a resort cert. We
are being sent so we are trying to narrow down whether to go to
Indonesia, south Pacific, Mexico, Carribean, Bali, etc....

28 Jun 2005 23:11:22
Dan Bracuk
Re: Looking for suggestions.

Daddy <Daddy1@gmail.com > pounded away at his keyboard resulting in:
:My bride to be and I are looking to go to a dive destination for our
:honeymoon. She is a non diver so we are either looking for a place with
:scuba/snorkeling sites, or a place where she can do a resort cert. We
:are being sent so we are trying to narrow down whether to go to
:Indonesia, south Pacific, Mexico, Carribean, Bali, etc....
:
:Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Since honeymoons are supposed to be special, I suggest La Source in
Grenada. You can read my trip report here == >
http://www.pathcom.com/~bracuk/Trips/GrenadaLaSource.htm

What that trip report does not say is that the snorkelling off the
beach at the resort is quite nice.

Just checked their web site, er, um, when exactly are you getting
married? Next year? Perfect.

Dan Bracuk
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups

29 Jun 2005 06:19:14
chilly
Re: Looking for suggestions.

"Daddy" <Daddy1@gmail.com > wrote in message
> My bride to be and I are looking to go to a dive destination for our
> honeymoon. She is a non diver so we are either looking for a place with
> scuba/snorkeling sites, or a place where she can do a resort cert. We
> are being sent so we are trying to narrow down whether to go to
> Indonesia, south Pacific, Mexico, Carribean, Bali, etc....

If she really wants to get certified, why doesn't she take all of her
training at home and get full certification before your trip? Or
alternately take all of her training at home and get a referral
certification on your trip? A resort course only certifies her for 40'.
I'm just guessing but I think you'd like her to be able to dive with you,
right?

On the off chance that she's not sure that she wants to become a diver, you
probably need a place that offers something for her to do while you are out
diving. What else is she interested in?

29 Jun 2005 06:21:13
chilly
Re: Looking for suggestions.

"Daddy" <Daddy1@gmail.com > wrote in message
> My bride to be and I are looking to go to a dive destination for our
> honeymoon. She is a non diver so we are either looking for a place with
> scuba/snorkeling sites, or a place where she can do a resort cert. We
> are being sent so we are trying to narrow down whether to go to
> Indonesia, south Pacific, Mexico, Carribean, Bali, etc....

By the way, I don't know where you live either, but if it's on the West
Coast, I'd recommend the Cook Islands. Lovely easily accessible snorkelling
from Muri Beach and Fruits of the Sea areas. There's some pretty nice
places to stay down near the Muri Beach area and it's a beautiful island.

29 Jun 2005 06:52:40
Joe English
Re: Looking for suggestions.

Dan Bracuk wrote:

> Daddy <Daddy1@gmail.com> pounded away at his keyboard resulting in:
> :My bride to be and I are looking to go to a dive destination for our
> :honeymoon. She is a non diver so we are either looking for a place with
> :scuba/snorkeling sites, or a place where she can do a resort cert. We
> :are being sent so we are trying to narrow down whether to go to
> :Indonesia, south Pacific, Mexico, Carribean, Bali, etc....
> :
> :Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Since honeymoons are supposed to be special, I suggest La Source in
> Grenada. You can read my trip report here ==>
> http://www.pathcom.com/~bracuk/Trips/GrenadaLaSource.htm

GEt certified now (at least the classes - you could actually do the
certification dives there. You do not want to spend your honeymoon
taking the classes. Do You?

29 Jun 2005 10:00:34
Daddy
Re: Looking for suggestions.

Charlie Hammond wrote:
> In article <1t-dnRMkEKwDWlzfRVn-rQ@got.net>,
> Daddy <Daddy1@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>My bride to be and I are looking to go to a dive destination for our
>>honeymoon. She is a non diver so we are either looking for a place with
>>scuba/snorkeling sites, or a place where she can do a resort cert. We
>>are being sent so we are trying to narrow down whether to go to
>>Indonesia, south Pacific, Mexico, Carribean, Bali, etc....
>

> You don't say how far in the future you wedding/honeymoon are.

Thank you for your suggestions. We are departing in late November/Early
December. We are looking closely at Bali as there are many other things
to do other than diving. I've done some diving in Maui while some
friends were snorkeling above so we might be looking at that as an
option as well. She can't really do cert at the moment as we are planing
our own wedding and we have an 8 month old breastfeeding infant.

29 Jun 2005 17:23:49
Dan Bracuk
Re: Looking for suggestions.

"chilly" <slarson@shaw.canada > pounded away at his keyboard resulting
in:
:On the off chance that she's not sure that she wants to become a diver,

the resort course is exactly what you guys want.

Dan Bracuk
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups

29 Jun 2005 17:24:38
Dan Bracuk
Re: Looking for suggestions.

"chilly" <slarson@shaw.canada > pounded away at his keyboard resulting
in:
:On the off chance that she's not sure that she wants to become a diver, you
:probably need a place that offers something for her to do while you are out
:diving. What else is she interested in?

divorice if he buggers off diving without her on their honeymoon.

Dan Bracuk
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups

29 Jun 2005 17:28:06
Dan Bracuk
Re: Looking for suggestions.

hammond@not@peek.ssr.hp.com (Charlie Hammond) pounded away at his
keyboard resulting in:
:That said, one place I might recommend from personal experience
:is Anse Chastanet on St Lucia. See your travel agent or
:http://www.ansechastanet.com. There are certainly other options, but
:this would be one of my top candidates.

As I remember it while you can snorkel there, you have to freedive
down a fair bit to see stuff, Good place for brand new divers
though, given how easy the diving there is.

Getting to and from your room is not quite as easy - lotsa stairs to
climb. Here is my trip report from my stay there == >
http://www.pathcom.com/~bracuk/Trips/StLucia.htm

Dan Bracuk
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups

29 Jun 2005 17:18:58
Jer
Re: Looking for suggestions.

Joe English wrote:

> You do not want to spend your honeymoon taking the classes. Do You?

Funny... I thought that's what honeymoons were all about. Oh, wait!
This is a diving forum, not a relationship forum. My bad.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

30 Jun 2005 00:03:57
Brien Alkire
Re: Looking for suggestions.

There's lots of good advice here already. To recap a few key points:

1) Do your certs at home if at all possible so you don't spend your
honeymoon in a class
2) Make sure there are other things to do in case she's not into an
intensive dive honeymoon

With those points in mind, I will tell you that we spent our honeymoon on
Moorea in the Tahitian Islands. It is the most spectacular diving I have
ever experienced (qualifier: I have been diving at many places around the
world but there are still many places I haven't been, such as Truk). The
water was so clear I thought I could see New Zealand. There were sharks
everywhere but it all seemed very safe, natural and beautiful.

It was a magical place for a honeymoon, even without diving.

We are planning to return there for our 15 year anniversary in 2009. We
will renew our vows, charter a sailboat, and sail and dive several of the
Tahitian Islands.

30 Jun 2005 13:06:53
Charlie Hammond
Re: Looking for suggestions.

In article <7d46c11v6sirj9087plhlp5gacqturltnv@4ax.com >, Dan Bracuk <NOTbracuk@pathcom.com> writes:
>hammond@not@peek.ssr.hp.com (Charlie Hammond) pounded away at his
>keyboard resulting in:

>:... Anse Chastanet on St Lucia. ...
>
>As I remember it while you can snorkel there, you have to freedive
>down a fair bit to see stuff, Good place for brand new divers
>though, given how easy the diving there is.

There is a reef at the left (sothern) end of the main beach. It is
a shallow but good dive for new divers, and great snorkeling too.
Boat dives take you to deeper dive sites.

>Getting to and from your room is not quite as easy - lotsa stairs to
>climb. ..

Yes, one quickly learns to organize ones activities to minimize trips
back-and-forth between the beach and the room. I remember coming to
breakfast in swimsuites, proceeding to the beach directly after eating
and not returning to the room untill mid/late afternoon.

On the other hand...
This is a HONEYMOON; what the heck will they be leaving their room for?
(Color me jealous.) <grin >

--
Charlie Hammond -- Hewlett-Packard Company -- Ft Lauderdale FL USA
(hammond@not@peek.ssr.hp.com -- remove "@not" when replying)

30 Jun 2005 07:11:20
Daddy
Re: Looking for suggestions.

Jer wrote:
> Joe English wrote:
>
>> You do not want to spend your honeymoon taking the classes. Do You?
>

> Funny... I thought that's what honeymoons were all about. Oh, wait!
> This is a diving forum, not a relationship forum. My bad.

Note to self:

Do not drink coffee while reading posts from Jer. It will result in a
coffee covered keyboard and monitor.

30 Jun 2005 10:15:36
Greg Mossman
Re: Looking for suggestions.

"Brien Alkire" <brien@rand.org > wrote in message

> With those points in mind, I will tell you that we spent our honeymoon on
> Moorea in the Tahitian Islands. It is the most spectacular diving I have
> ever experienced (qualifier: I have been diving at many places around the
> world but there are still many places I haven't been, such as Truk). The
> water was so clear I thought I could see New Zealand. There were sharks
> everywhere but it all seemed very safe, natural and beautiful.
>
> It was a magical place for a honeymoon, even without diving.

Moorea is nice, but the diving isn't really all that. It's similar to
Hawaii, i.e. monotonous hard corals and a much smaller selection of aquatic
life than the western Pacific or even the Caribbean, but the water is clear.
I wouldn't call the shark presence natural, though. They only hang around
because they're fed.

30 Jun 2005 22:55:27
Dan Bracuk
Re: Looking for suggestions.

hammond@not@peek.ssr.hp.com (Charlie Hammond) pounded away at his
keyboard resulting in:
:On the other hand...
:This is a HONEYMOON; what the heck will they be leaving their room for?

lunch

Dan Bracuk
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups

Bali-Freak
Re: Looking for suggestions.

Daddy wrote:
> >>My bride to be and I are looking to go to a dive destination for our
> >>honeymoon.We are looking closely at Bali as there are many other things
> to do other than diving.

You're right, Bali has lots to do topside too. I planned my own wedding
here, got maried here, honeymooned here, and dive here. Drop me a
message if you need any info.

Simon