29 Apr 2005 07:25:15
Sandi
Honduran airport closures

La Prensa, one of the major daily newspapers for Honduras has reported
that ALL four airports in Honduras are closed due to haze caused by
massive forest fires. Tegucigalpa, San Pedro Sula, La Ceiba, and Roatan
have been closed since yesterday. They may open tomorrow if minimum
operationg conditions can be met. Anyone flying into San Pedro Sula
will be going to San Salvador, El Salvador. Please check with your
airline before heading to the airport.

The entire country is blanketed in an unbearable smokey haze. Hospital
emergency room visits have increased by 30-40% with most of the
increase due to respiratory problems. We cannot see the LOW hills
outside of town, let alone the mountains because of the smoke.

Sandi

29 Apr 2005 21:34:30
Steve
Re: Honduran airport closures

Sandi wrote:
>They may open tomorrow if minimum
> operationg conditions can be met. Anyone flying into San Pedro Sula
> will be going to San Salvador, El Salvador.

What about the poor people who are supposed to fly out? Chilly and Rudy are going to
just hate it if they have to stay a bit longer.

--
Steve

belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.

29 Apr 2005 18:24:47
Sandi

Steve wrote:
> Sandi wrote:
> >They may open tomorrow if minimum
> > operationg conditions can be met. Anyone flying into San Pedro Sula
> > will be going to San Salvador, El Salvador.
>
> What about the poor people who are supposed to fly out? Chilly and
Rudy are going to
> just hate it if they have to stay a bit longer.
>
> --
> Steve
>
> The above can be construed as personal opinion in the absence of a
reasonable
> belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.
>
> If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the
address.

Oh what a bummer...extra time on Roatan. But....the news tonight said
all inbound and outbound flights are grounded. International and
domestic.

Sandi

02 May 2005 02:49:41
chilly

"Steve" <SPAMTRAPglawackus@hvc.rr.com > wrote in message

> Sandi wrote:
> >They may open tomorrow if minimum
> > operationg conditions can be met. Anyone flying into San Pedro Sula
> > will be going to San Salvador, El Salvador.
>
> What about the poor people who are supposed to fly out? Chilly and Rudy
are going to
> just hate it if they have to stay a bit longer.

I really had my fingers crossed. Unfortunately, the airport on Roatan did
not close; only the airport at San Pedro Sula. The last couple of days the
wind changed anyway. We had clear skies on Friday with no smell of burning
either. Saturday, the wind changed a bit again and the haze and the smell
was back but not wasn't as thick as it had been earlier in the week.
Another upside to the wind change on Friday was an increase in viz.
Fabulous dives.

Rudy has another week, AFAIK.

02 May 2005 17:36:21
Sandi

chilly wrote:
> "Steve" <SPAMTRAPglawackus@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Sandi wrote:
> > >They may open tomorrow if minimum
> > > operationg conditions can be met. Anyone flying into San Pedro
Sula
> > > will be going to San Salvador, El Salvador.
> >
> > What about the poor people who are supposed to fly out? Chilly and
Rudy
> are going to
> > just hate it if they have to stay a bit longer.
>
> I really had my fingers crossed. Unfortunately, the airport on
Roatan did
> not close; only the airport at San Pedro Sula. The last couple of
days the
> wind changed anyway. We had clear skies on Friday with no smell of
burning
> either. Saturday, the wind changed a bit again and the haze and the
smell
> was back but not wasn't as thick as it had been earlier in the week.
> Another upside to the wind change on Friday was an increase in viz.
> Fabulous dives.

It got better here late Friday and on Saturday morning. Saturday night
in Copan Ruinas wasn't bad - we could see stars and also three mountain
tops on fire! Sunday morning it was bad again and when I got back to
Siguatepeque, it was awful. I'm one step away from asthma puffers so I
don't go into bronchospasms We had some rain last night and it got rid
of the smokey smell but there still is thick haze and we can't see the
hills outside of town. Add to this the morons in town who are burning
their trash outside and it really isn't pleasant right now.

03 May 2005 05:54:52
ben bradlee

"Sandi" <westie97@yahoo.com > wrote in message

> It got better here late Friday and on Saturday morning. Saturday night
> in Copan Ruinas wasn't bad - we could see stars and also three mountain
> tops on fire! Sunday morning it was bad again and when I got back to
> Siguatepeque, it was awful. I'm one step away from asthma puffers so I
> don't go into bronchospasms We had some rain last night and it got rid
> of the smokey smell but there still is thick haze and we can't see the
> hills outside of town. Add to this the morons in town who are burning
> their trash outside and it really isn't pleasant right now.

Oh the joy of living in a third-world country.