20 Aug 2007 22:40:49
Diving off of Bermuda ?

I was surprised to see a write-up about diving off of Bermuda in the
Sept issue of Sport Diver magazine. The article talked about all of
the wrecks there and after reading it, I'm pondering going there. I
never thought the diving was that good there but I can't honestly say
that I know anyone who has been there. Can anyone here shed some
light on the diving off Bermuda ? I'm especially interested in a
charter liveaboard there called M.Y Bermuda IV.
Thanks.

21 Aug 2007 11:37:46
Rosalie B.
Re: Diving off of Bermuda ?

hierophantfish@hotmail.com wrote:

>I was surprised to see a write-up about diving off of Bermuda in the
>Sept issue of Sport Diver magazine. The article talked about all of
>the wrecks there and after reading it, I'm pondering going there. I
>never thought the diving was that good there but I can't honestly say
>that I know anyone who has been there. Can anyone here shed some
>light on the diving off Bermuda ? I'm especially interested in a
>charter liveaboard there called M.Y Bermuda IV.
>Thanks.

I have been to Bermuda several times, but not to dive. It is an
expensive place to stay and the liveaboard may be one of the cheapest
ways to stay there. Our last visit was via cruise ship and that was
cheaper than even the least expensive USAir fare and staying in the
least expensive guest house.

Bermuda isn't a tropical location - it is in the middle of the
Atlantic, and will be much colder than the tropics. They do have
coral - just fewer types than you find in a tropical location like the
Caribbean for instance. Except for my first visit when I was pg, I've
mostly been there in November, and if I had been diving I would
definitely have needed a wet suit.

They have LOTS of wrecks. - this is a partial map from the Underwater
Exploration Institute
http://p.vtourist.com/2334776-Hamilton_The_City_of-Bermuda.jpg

21 Aug 2007 16:56:12
-hh
Re: Diving off of Bermuda ?

Rosalie B. <gmbeas...@mindspring.com > wrote:
> hierophantf...@hotmail.com wrote:
> >I was surprised to see a write-up about diving off of Bermuda in the
> >Sept issue of Sport Diver magazine. The article talked about all of
> >the wrecks there and after reading it, I'm pondering going there. I
> >never thought the diving was that good there but I can't honestly say
> >that I know anyone who has been there. Can anyone here shed some
> >light on the diving off Bermuda ?
>
> I have been to Bermuda several times, but not to dive. It is an
> expensive place to stay and the liveaboard may be one of the cheapest
> ways to stay there. Our last visit was via cruise ship and that was
> cheaper than even the least expensive USAir fare and staying in the
> least expensive guest house.

Bermuda is a surprisingly short flight out of New York, yet it remains
a suprisingly expensive one. As such, I've also debated going there
for a long weekend or whatever, but the economics simply don't make it
favorable.

> Bermuda isn't a tropical location - it is in the middle of the
> Atlantic, and will be much colder than the tropics. They do have
> coral - just fewer types than you find in a tropical location like the
> Caribbean for instance. Except for my first visit when I was pg, I've
> mostly been there in November, and if I had been diving I would
> definitely have needed a wet suit.

I'd definitely consult a water temperature -vs- month chart and plan
on having a good wetsuit. My recollections are that it can hit 80F
in the peak of summer, but visibility suffers. The good viz is
during the winter, when it can IIRC be at the bottom of what coral can
survive, which is the mid/lower 60's. Also expect air temperatures to
similarly get chilly.

> They have LOTS of wrecks. - this is a partial map from the Underwater
> Exploration Institute
> http://p.vtourist.com/2334776-Hamilton_The_City_of-Bermuda.jpg

I recall that a diving promotion from a few years ago was to dive on a
certain number of Bermuda wrecks and get a specialty C-Card or
something like that.

Overall, it sounds like a nice place to go do some diving even with
the seasonal temperature excursions, but it effectively remains a
destination for high priced businessmen, which makes it a relatively
poor vacation value.

-hh

21 Aug 2007 19:57:57
Daniel Kessler
Re: Diving off of Bermuda ?

charter live-aboards off Bermuda? Are you serious?

The viz is not good there and the wrecks...more like a reef...I mean,
except for the Celeste Marie something or other, you'd be hard pressed to
identify a wreck.

Bermuda is not a place for scuba diving -- I know they do it there and
have dive shops....but ...find someplace else for your diving vacation.

hierophantfish@hotmail.com wrote:

> I was surprised to see a write-up about diving off of Bermuda in the
> Sept issue of Sport Diver magazine. The article talked about all of
> the wrecks there and after reading it, I'm pondering going there. I
> never thought the diving was that good there but I can't honestly say
> that I know anyone who has been there. Can anyone here shed some
> light on the diving off Bermuda ? I'm especially interested in a
> charter liveaboard there called M.Y Bermuda IV.
> Thanks.

22 Aug 2007 03:52:12
Re: Diving off of Bermuda ?

On Aug 21, 11:37 am, Rosalie B. <gmbeas...@mindspring.com > wrote:
> hierophantf...@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have been to Bermuda several times, but not to dive. It is an
> expensive place to stay and the liveaboard may be one of the cheapest
> ways to stay there. Our last visit was via cruise ship and that was
> cheaper than even the least expensive USAir fare and staying in the
> least expensive guest house.
>
> Bermuda isn't a tropical location - it is in the middle of the
> Atlantic, and will be much colder than the tropics. They do have
> coral - just fewer types than you find in a tropical location like the
> Caribbean for instance. Except for my first visit when I was pg, I've
> mostly been there in November, and if I had been diving I would
> definitely have needed a wet suit.
>
> They have LOTS of wrecks. - this is a partial map from the Underwater
> Exploration Institute
> http://p.vtourist.com/2334776-Hamilton_The_City_of-Bermuda.jpg

Thank you Rosalie B.

22 Aug 2007 04:39:56
Re: Diving off of Bermuda ?

On Aug 21, 12:56 pm, -hh <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com > wrote:
> Rosalie B. <gmbeas...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > hierophantf...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Bermuda is a surprisingly short flight out of New York, yet it remains
> a suprisingly expensive one. As such, I've also debated going there
> for a long weekend or whatever, but the economics simply don't make it
> favorable.

I'm seeing $100 flights.

> I'd definitely consult a water temperature -vs- month chart and plan
> on having a good wetsuit. My recollections are that it can hit 80F
> in the peak of summer, but visibility suffers. The good viz is
> during the winter, when it can IIRC be at the bottom of what coral can
> survive, which is the mid/lower 60's. Also expect air temperatures to
> similarly get chilly.

I'm fine with a wet suit. The charts show 82 degree water temps in
the summer with 84 air degree temps then. I can deal with that.

> I recall that a diving promotion from a few years ago was to dive on a
> certain number of Bermuda wrecks and get a specialty C-Card or
> something like that.
>
> Overall, it sounds like a nice place to go do some diving even with
> the seasonal temperature excursions, but it effectively remains a
> destination for high priced businessmen, which makes it a relatively
> poor vacation value.
>
> -hh

I guess we all vary in what we consider to be pricey. I'm still
looking into it. I'll let ya know.

22 Aug 2007 04:40:44
Re: Diving off of Bermuda ?

On Aug 21, 7:57 pm, Daniel Kessler <dkess...@pop.cybernex.net > wrote:

> charter live-aboards off Bermuda? Are you serious?

http://www.bermudaiv.com One can also charter this boat to go in the
BVI's but I've already been to the BVI's (not on this boat) and was
hoping for a new place.

> The viz is not good there and the wrecks...more like a reef...I mean,
> except for the Celeste Marie something or other, you'd be hard pressed to
> identify a wreck.

I'm looking at a chart that shows vis of 40 to 100 ft in the warmest
water months and over 100 ft in the cooler months. As far as
wrecks : there is the Hermes, sunk as part of the artificial reef
there in 1984 and fully intact. The Cristobal, which is 499 ft long
and sunk in 1936. The Xing Da, which is 221 ft long, fully intact and
sunk in 1997 as part of the reef system. The Montana, 236 ft long
with boilers and paddlewheel intact. The Madiana, 345 ft long steel
hulled. The Darlington, 286 ft long steel hulled. The Rita Zovetta,
360 ft long and which is semi-penetrable. The list goes on and on.
These are large wrecks. There's gotta be something worthwhile there.

> Bermuda is not a place for scuba diving -- I know they do it there and
> have dive shops....but ...find someplace else for your diving vacation.

Thanks. I've been to many places around the world and the info I'm
seeing on Bermuda intrigues me.

22 Aug 2007 13:56:48
-hh
Re: Diving off of Bermuda ?

On Aug 22, 7:39 am, hierophantf...@hotmail.com wrote:

> I guess we all vary in what we consider to be pricey. I'm still
> looking into it. I'll let ya know.

Sure.

For point of reference, the summer rates at Pirate's Point on Little
Cayman is $1650/pp-week, plus tips but including diving, food, room
and (most) drinks. Just add airfare, which is probably not going to
be that much worse than Bermuda. If that's a bit too much, or if 2
dives/day with gourmet food isn't quite your style, there's McCoy's
Lodge, which is around $600 cheaper per week. When your choice is
Little Cayman vs. Bermuda, which do you think more folks would prefer?

-hh

23 Aug 2007 09:59:19
nb318@hotmail.com
Re: Diving off of Bermuda ?

On Aug 22, 9:56 am, -hh <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com > wrote:
> On Aug 22, 7:39 am, hierophantf...@hotmail.com wrote:
>

> > I guess we all vary in what we consider to be pricey. I'm still
> > looking into it. I'll let ya know.
>
> Sure.
>
> For point of reference, the summer rates at Pirate's Point on Little
> Cayman is $1650/pp-week, plus tips but including diving, food, room
> and (most) drinks. Just add airfare, which is probably not going to
> be that much worse than Bermuda. If that's a bit too much, or if 2
> dives/day with gourmet food isn't quite your style, there's McCoy's
> Lodge, which is around $600 cheaper per week. When your choice is
> Little Cayman vs. Bermuda, which do you think more folks would prefer?
>
> -hh

Bermuda has some great airfares from years past. It is a pricey
destination but IMHO a great quality trip. There are little guest
houses to create a more affordable holiday but alas, few cheap eats.
We usually stay at The Reefs and get the MAP so we can dine around at
other Bermuda Collection properties but it's got a hefty price tag. I
snorkel all the time in BDA. I had clients love diving in BDA one
April.

24 Aug 2007 20:54:48
Re: Diving off of Bermuda ?

On Aug 23, 12:59 pm, "nb...@hotmail.com" <nb...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> On Aug 22, 9:56 am, -hh <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote:

> Bermuda has some great airfares from years past. It is a pricey
> destination but IMHO a great quality trip. There are little guest
> houses to create a more affordable holiday but alas, few cheap eats.
> We usually stay at The Reefs and get the MAP so we can dine around at
> other Bermuda Collection properties but it's got a hefty price tag. I
> snorkel all the time in BDA. I had clients love diving in BDA one
> April

I pulled up this site for restaurants : http://www.bermuda.com/dining/bermudian/
It's about what I expected. Thank you for the info. If you have any
other on diving there, I'd appreciate it.

24 Aug 2007 20:58:15
Re: Diving off of Bermuda ?

On Aug 22, 9:56 am, -hh <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com > wrote:

> For point of reference, the summer rates at Pirate's Point on Little
> Cayman is $1650/pp-week, plus tips but including diving, food, room
> and (most) drinks. Just add airfare, which is probably not going to
> be that much worse than Bermuda. If that's a bit too much, or if 2
> dives/day with gourmet food isn't quite your style, there's McCoy's
> Lodge, which is around $600 cheaper per week. When your choice is
> Little Cayman vs. Bermuda, which do you think more folks would prefer?
> -hh

I see that two people who have actually been to Bermuda have answered
so far : Rosalie B and nb318. I can't find prices on M.Y. Bermuda IV
on line so I guess I'll have to phone them.

25 Aug 2007 09:52:00
Rosalie B.
Re: Diving off of Bermuda ?

hierophantfish@hotmail.com wrote:

>On Aug 22, 9:56 am, -hh <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
>
>> For point of reference, the summer rates at Pirate's Point on Little
>> Cayman is $1650/pp-week, plus tips but including diving, food, room
>> and (most) drinks. Just add airfare, which is probably not going to
>> be that much worse than Bermuda. If that's a bit too much, or if 2
>> dives/day with gourmet food isn't quite your style, there's McCoy's
>> Lodge, which is around $600 cheaper per week. When your choice is
>> Little Cayman vs. Bermuda, which do you think more folks would prefer?
>> -hh
>
>I see that two people who have actually been to Bermuda have answered
>so far : Rosalie B and nb318. I can't find prices on M.Y. Bermuda IV
>on line so I guess I'll have to phone them.

That would be a good idea.

I visited Bermuda three times - once in 1963 when my husband's ship
was there and I was pregnant with my second child. The second time was
for Thanksgiving in 1995. Just for variety, we came the third time
(November 2004) on a cruise ship.

Cost comparison:

The first time we went we stayed in a hotel in St. George that no
longer exists. I don't remember what it cost. The hotel we stayed in
was one of the least expensive I could find, and was near the airport
to reduce taxi fares.

The second time, we flew in on the Tuesday November 21, 1995 (before
Thanksgiving). We stayed in the Hamilton Princess. Because I had
waited so late to get tickets, we had to fly in on Tuesday and back
out on Saturday as there were no tickets for Sunday or Monday. Bermuda
at 2004 prices (NOT what we paid in 1995) for this 4 days would cost
us $1450.00 *each* (a total of $2900) including transportation
(airfare, taxi to and from the airport and 3 day bus tickets), hotel
with breakfast and dinner, and admissions to the Aquarium, the
Dockyard, and various places in St. George. That's because most of the
things we did were low cost or free. (It doesn't of course include
the cost of gifts I bought for my children or souvenirs or film and
processing.)

In 2004, the cost of the visit, including the cruise ship fare,
admissions and transportation [we purchased two 3-day bus passes ($28
@) which are also good on the ferries. At the same time, we got a
Bermuda Heritage Pass at $25 @] and food (two lunches and one dinner)
was $1,958.89 for the two of us (less than $1000 each) - again
excluding gifts (photos now mostly digital so very little film cost)

25 Aug 2007 08:36:25
nb318@hotmail.com
Re: Diving off of Bermuda ?

On Aug 25, 9:52 am, Rosalie B. <gmbeas...@mindspring.com > wrote:
> hierophantf...@hotmail.com wrote:
> >On Aug 22, 9:56 am, -hh <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com> wrote:
>
> >> For point of reference, the summer rates at Pirate's Point on Little
> >> Cayman is $1650/pp-week, plus tips but including diving, food, room
> >> and (most) drinks. Just add airfare, which is probably not going to
> >> be that much worse than Bermuda. If that's a bit too much, or if 2
> >> dives/day with gourmet food isn't quite your style, there's McCoy's
> >> Lodge, which is around $600 cheaper per week. When your choice is
> >> Little Cayman vs. Bermuda, which do you think more folks would prefer?
> >> -hh
>
> >I see that two people who have actually been to Bermuda have answered
> >so far : Rosalie B and nb318. I can't find prices on M.Y. Bermuda IV
> >on line so I guess I'll have to phone them.
>
> That would be a good idea.
>
> I visited Bermuda three times - once in 1963 when my husband's ship
> was there and I was pregnant with my second child. The second time was
> for Thanksgiving in 1995. Just for variety, we came the third time
> (November 2004) on a cruise ship.
>
> Cost comparison:
>
> The first time we went we stayed in a hotel in St. George that no
> longer exists. I don't remember what it cost. The hotel we stayed in
> was one of the least expensive I could find, and was near the airport
> to reduce taxi fares.
>
> The second time, we flew in on the Tuesday November 21, 1995 (before
> Thanksgiving). We stayed in the Hamilton Princess. Because I had
> waited so late to get tickets, we had to fly in on Tuesday and back
> out on Saturday as there were no tickets for Sunday or Monday. Bermuda
> at 2004 prices (NOT what we paid in 1995) for this 4 days would cost
> us $1450.00 *each* (a total of $2900) including transportation
> (airfare, taxi to and from the airport and 3 day bus tickets), hotel
> with breakfast and dinner, and admissions to the Aquarium, the
> Dockyard, and various places in St. George. That's because most of the
> things we did were low cost or free. (It doesn't of course include
> the cost of gifts I bought for my children or souvenirs or film and
> processing.)
>
> In 2004, the cost of the visit, including the cruise ship fare,
> admissions and transportation [we purchased two 3-day bus passes ($28
> @) which are also good on the ferries. At the same time, we got a
> Bermuda Heritage Pass at $25 @] and food (two lunches and one dinner)
> was $1,958.89 for the two of us (less than $1000 each) - again
> excluding gifts (photos now mostly digital so very little film cost)

I have been to BDA about 20 times since 90. It is by far one of the
priciest islands I have encountered but that is because I insist on
staying at The Reefs on most occassions. Last June I stayed at Aunt
Nea's Guest House but the cost of dining was very pricey and sadly
believe it or not we did not have a decent meal.

This island is great for snorkeling, walking, biking, watersports,
exploring and romance...it has a hefty price tag if you choose one of
the lovely hotels but the guest houses are well priced...Pretty Penny,
Little Pomander, Greenbanks to name a few.

Annie

26 Aug 2007 23:45:30
Re: Diving off of Bermuda ?

On Aug 25, 9:52 am, Rosalie B. <gmbeas...@mindspring.com > wrote:

> I visited Bermuda three times - once in 1963 when my husband's ship
> was there and I was pregnant with my second child. The second time was
> for Thanksgiving in 1995. Just for variety, we came the third time
> (November 2004) on a cruise ship.
>
> Cost comparison:
>
> The first time we went we stayed in a hotel in St. George that no
> longer exists. I don't remember what it cost. The hotel we stayed in
> was one of the least expensive I could find, and was near the airport
> to reduce taxi fares.
>
> The second time, we flew in on the Tuesday November 21, 1995 (before
> Thanksgiving). We stayed in the Hamilton Princess. Because I had
> waited so late to get tickets, we had to fly in on Tuesday and back
> out on Saturday as there were no tickets for Sunday or Monday. Bermuda
> at 2004 prices (NOT what we paid in 1995) for this 4 days would cost
> us $1450.00 *each* (a total of $2900) including transportation
> (airfare, taxi to and from the airport and 3 day bus tickets), hotel
> with breakfast and dinner, and admissions to the Aquarium, the
> Dockyard, and various places in St. George. That's because most of the
> things we did were low cost or free. (It doesn't of course include
> the cost of gifts I bought for my children or souvenirs or film and
> processing.)
>
> In 2004, the cost of the visit, including the cruise ship fare,
> admissions and transportation [we purchased two 3-day bus passes ($28
> @) which are also good on the ferries. At the same time, we got a
> Bermuda Heritage Pass at $25 @] and food (two lunches and one dinner)
> was $1,958.89 for the two of us (less than $1000 each) - again
> excluding gifts (photos now mostly digital so very little film cost)

Thank you again Rosalie. :-) I'm seeing this Heritage Pass offered
and I think it might be worthwhile.

26 Aug 2007 23:50:42
Re: Diving off of Bermuda ?

On Aug 25, 11:36 am, "nb...@hotmail.com" <nb...@hotmail.com > wrote:

> I have been to BDA about 20 times since 90. It is by far one of the
> priciest islands I have encountered but that is because I insist on
> staying at The Reefs on most occassions. Last June I stayed at Aunt
> Nea's Guest House but the cost of dining was very pricey and sadly
> believe it or not we did not have a decent meal.
>
> This island is great for snorkeling, walking, biking, watersports,
> exploring and romance...it has a hefty price tag if you choose one of
> the lovely hotels but the guest houses are well priced...Pretty Penny,
> Little Pomander, Greenbanks to name a few.
>
> Annie

I'm surprised. I went to http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=bermuda+restaurants&FORM=MSNH
and came up with a ton of restaurants. I also did a search on
cottages and apartments and came up with some that were very
reasonable --- including one that proclaims to be haunted. I might
have to pick that one just to see the ghost. But I think I'd prefer
the MYBermudaIV and for that, I need to phone for rates. :-)

11 Sep 2007 11:01:06
Fred
Re: Diving off of Bermuda ?

I dove in Bermuda, water was crystal clear and not quite 82% so
wetsuit(rental smelled like(-:) but the wrecks were nice. We stayed at Elbow
beach and had breakfast/dinner plan. Dove at Sonesta hotel, so I drive vespa
like wheels with my gear every morning. Was expensive but another diving
adventure/ Wife doesn't dive so I was back by 12 or so and off exploring
Bermuda.

Fred