28 Aug 2007 06:54:25
chilly
Diving in Barbados?

OK, Cuba is probably out but now I've had a friend invite me to Barbados in
November/December. Is it worth the trip for the diving?

28 Aug 2007 12:00:16
Elliott Goldstein
Re: Diving in Barbados?

i was there last summer. the diving was just ok, not great. it is a nice
island.
elliott

chilly wrote:

>OK, Cuba is probably out but now I've had a friend invite me to Barbados in
>November/December. Is it worth the trip for the diving?

29 Aug 2007 09:12:19
chilly
Re: Diving in Barbados?

"Elliott Goldstein" <e.goldstein@asu.edu > wrote in message
> i was there last summer. the diving was just ok, not great. it is a nice
> island.
> elliott

Thanks Elliott. What side did yo dive?

Where did you stay?

> chilly wrote:
>
> >OK, Cuba is probably out but now I've had a friend invite me to Barbados
in
> >November/December. Is it worth the trip for the diving?

29 Aug 2007 11:43:13
kjw
Re: Diving in Barbados?

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:00:16 -0700, Elliott Goldstein
<e.goldstein@asu.edu > wrote:

>i was there last summer. the diving was just ok, not great. it is a nice
>island.
>elliott
>
>chilly wrote:
>
>>OK, Cuba is probably out but now I've had a friend invite me to Barbados in
>>November/December. Is it worth the trip for the diving?

I had a different take on it, after diving there in December. Maybe
the conditions were just right, but this was the best of the three
dive destinations of our cruise (St. Thomas and Aruba were the
others). Tons of turtles and the visibility was awesome.

I used a company called Barbados Blue that I would definitely dive
with again.

29 Aug 2007 07:45:07
Daniel Kessler
Re: Diving in Barbados?

Barbados is a playgrouhd for the very wealthy sun lovers and people who have
homes in "gated communities"...or for someone anxious to see where Mt.Gay rum
comes from. It is a convenient airline "hub" for divers heading to other weak
sites in that outer fringe of the Atlantic Ocean collides with the Caribbean...
such as St. Vincent and the Grenadines or Saint Lucia..

kjw wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:00:16 -0700, Elliott Goldstein
> <e.goldstein@asu.edu> wrote:
>
> >i was there last summer. the diving was just ok, not great. it is a nice
> >island.
> >elliott
> >
> >chilly wrote:
> >
> >>OK, Cuba is probably out but now I've had a friend invite me to Barbados in
> >>November/December. Is it worth the trip for the diving?
> >>

> I had a different take on it, after diving there in December. Maybe
> the conditions were just right, but this was the best of the three
> dive destinations of our cruise (St. Thomas and Aruba were the
> others). Tons of turtles and the visibility was awesome.
>
> I used a company called Barbados Blue that I would definitely dive
> with again.

29 Aug 2007 15:13:51
chilly
Re: Diving in Barbados?

"Daniel Kessler" <dkessler@pop.cybernex.net > wrote in message
> Barbados is a playgrouhd for the very wealthy sun lovers and people who
have
> homes in "gated communities"...or for someone anxious to see where Mt.Gay
rum
> comes from. It is a convenient airline "hub" for divers heading to other
weak
> sites in that outer fringe of the Atlantic Ocean collides with the
Caribbean...
> such as St. Vincent and the Grenadines or Saint Lucia..

Yes, yes, I know all that. My friends will be staying in just such a gated
community. I've used Barbados as my transfer point to Bequia in the past.

In the meantime, since I need to get my fix, and my friends will be there
and want to see me (and I want to see them), I'm wondering about the diving,
the dive ops and perhaps even some advice on where people stayed. I don't
think I really want to be bunking in with the whole damn family, so will be
looking for my own digs preferably within a convenient distance.

So, please keep it coming folks. I've got nothing against clear waters and
turtles. I don't expect everyone of my dives to be like Sipadan . . .but I
don't necessarily want them to be St. Martin either.

> kjw wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:00:16 -0700, Elliott Goldstein
> > <e.goldstein@asu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > >i was there last summer. the diving was just ok, not great. it is a
nice
> > >island.
> > >elliott

Barbados in

> > I had a different take on it, after diving there in December. Maybe
> > the conditions were just right, but this was the best of the three
> > dive destinations of our cruise (St. Thomas and Aruba were the
> > others). Tons of turtles and the visibility was awesome.
> >
> > I used a company called Barbados Blue that I would definitely dive
> > with again.

29 Aug 2007 11:56:13
Elliott Goldstein
Re: Diving in Barbados?

--------------030408060103090206060304

i knew you would ask. i have to look it up when i get home tonight. we
stayed in a timeshare exchange across the street from the Caribbean on
the end of the island nearest to Bridgetown (i think that's the name of
the main town).
i'll get back to you tomorrow.
elliott

chilly wrote:

>"Elliott Goldstein" <e.goldstein@asu.edu> wrote in message
>

>>i was there last summer. the diving was just ok, not great. it is a nice
>>island.
>>elliott
>>

>Thanks Elliott. What side did yo dive?
>
>Where did you stay?
>

>>chilly wrote:
>>

>>>OK, Cuba is probably out but now I've had a friend invite me to Barbados
>>>

>in
>

>>>November/December. Is it worth the trip for the diving?

--------------030408060103090206060304

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" >
<head >
<title ></title>
</head >
i knew you would ask. i have to look it up when i get home tonight. we
stayed in a timeshare exchange across the street from the Caribbean on
the end of the island nearest to Bridgetown (i think that's the name of
the main town). <br >
i'll get back to you tomorrow.<br >
elliott<br >
chilly wrote:<br >
<pre wrap="" >"Elliott Goldstein" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:e.goldstein@asu.edu"><e.goldstein@asu.edu></a> wrote in message
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:fb1rbv$amc$1@news.asu.edu" >news:fb1rbv$amc$1@news.asu.edu</a>...
</pre >
<pre wrap="" >i was there last summer. the diving was just ok, not great. it is a nice
island.
elliott
</pre >
<pre wrap="" ><!---->
Thanks Elliott. What side did yo dive?

Where did you stay?

</pre >
<pre wrap="" >chilly wrote:

</pre >
<pre wrap="" >OK, Cuba is probably out but now I've had a friend invite me to Barbados
</pre >
<pre wrap="" ><!---->in
</pre >
<pre wrap="" >November/December. Is it worth the trip for the diving?

</pre >
<pre wrap="" ><!---->

</pre >

--------------030408060103090206060304--

30 Aug 2007 09:45:38

> i knew you would ask. i have to look it up when i get home tonight. we
> stayed in a timeshare exchange across the street from the Caribbean on
> the end of the island nearest to Bridgetown (i think that's the name of
> the main town).
> i'll get back to you tomorrow.

OK, thanks. Looking forward to all the info you can supply.

> elliott
>
> chilly wrote:
>
> >"Elliott Goldstein" <e.goldstein@asu.edu> wrote in message
> >

> >>i was there last summer. the diving was just ok, not great. it is a nice
> >>island.
> >>elliott
> >>

> >Thanks Elliott. What side did yo dive?
> >
> >Where did you stay?

Barbados

> >in

30 Aug 2007 12:17:37
Elliott Goldstein
Re: Diving in Barbados?

--------------060207020300040702050505

we stayed at an RCI exchange called South Beach I resort, supposedly a 4
or 5 star, it was not a resort, but a nice 3 star hotel. it was within
walking distance of a number of very good restaurants.
i dove with Dive Pro. i highly recommend them. excellent outfit, good
dive masters and they pick up and deliver. i can't tell you about their
boat, it was in dry-dock and we used an alternate.
elliott

chilly wrote:

>"Elliott Goldstein" <e.goldstein@asu.edu> wrote in message
>

>>i knew you would ask. i have to look it up when i get home tonight. we
>>stayed in a timeshare exchange across the street from the Caribbean on
>>the end of the island nearest to Bridgetown (i think that's the name of
>>the main town).
>>i'll get back to you tomorrow.
>>

>OK, thanks. Looking forward to all the info you can supply.
>

>>elliott
>>
>>chilly wrote:
>>

>>>"Elliott Goldstein" <e.goldstein@asu.edu> wrote in message

>>>Thanks Elliott. What side did yo dive?
>>>
>>>Where did you stay?

>Barbados
>

>>>in

--------------060207020300040702050505

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" >
<head >
<title ></title>
</head >
we stayed at an RCI exchange called South Beach I resort, supposedly a
4 or 5 star, it was not a resort, but a nice 3 star hotel. it was
within walking distance of a number of very good restaurants.<br >
i dove with Dive Pro. i highly recommend them. excellent outfit, good
dive masters and they pick up and deliver. i can't tell you about their
boat, it was in dry-dock and we used an alternate.<br >
elliott<br >
chilly wrote:<br >
<pre wrap="" >"Elliott Goldstein" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:e.goldstein@asu.edu"><e.goldstein@asu.edu></a> wrote in message
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:fb4fgn$q0p$1@news.asu.edu" >news:fb4fgn$q0p$1@news.asu.edu</a>...
</pre >
<pre wrap="" >i knew you would ask. i have to look it up when i get home tonight. we
stayed in a timeshare exchange across the street from the Caribbean on
the end of the island nearest to Bridgetown (i think that's the name of
the main town).
i'll get back to you tomorrow.
</pre >
<pre wrap="" ><!---->
OK, thanks. Looking forward to all the info you can supply.

</pre >
<pre wrap="" >elliott

chilly wrote:

</pre >
<pre wrap="" >"Elliott Goldstein" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:e.goldstein@asu.edu"><e.goldstein@asu.edu></a> wrote in message
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:fb1rbv$amc$1@news.asu.edu" >news:fb1rbv$amc$1@news.asu.edu</a>...

</pre >
<pre wrap="" >i was there last summer. the diving was just ok, not great. it is a nice
island.
elliott

</pre >
<pre wrap="" >Thanks Elliott. What side did yo dive?

Where did you stay?

</pre >

<pre wrap="" ><!---->Barbados
</pre >
<pre wrap="" >
</pre >
<pre wrap="" >in

</pre >
<pre wrap="" >November/December. Is it worth the trip for the diving?

</pre >
<pre wrap="" >

</pre >
<pre wrap="" ><!---->

</pre >

--------------060207020300040702050505--

04 Sep 2007 13:22:18
Fred
Re: Diving in Barbados?

We stayed at Divi, which is on the St Lawerence Gap(i.e., string of
restaurants, approx. 20) They had nice beach.
Dove with the DIVE HOUSE, which gave us a package(i.e. , cheaper per tank) .
There were several good dive sites, and the night in the bay was excellent.
Saw approx. 100 pairs of Trumpet fish hanging over tugboat sunk in bay.

We needed a car to get around. and get to dive shop.

Fred
"chilly" <slarson@shaw.canada > wrote in message

> "Daniel Kessler" <dkessler@pop.cybernex.net> wrote in message
>> Barbados is a playgrouhd for the very wealthy sun lovers and people who
> have
>> homes in "gated communities"...or for someone anxious to see where Mt.Gay
> rum
>> comes from. It is a convenient airline "hub" for divers heading to other
> weak
>> sites in that outer fringe of the Atlantic Ocean collides with the
> Caribbean...
>> such as St. Vincent and the Grenadines or Saint Lucia..
>
> Yes, yes, I know all that. My friends will be staying in just such a
> gated
> community. I've used Barbados as my transfer point to Bequia in the past.
>
> In the meantime, since I need to get my fix, and my friends will be there
> and want to see me (and I want to see them), I'm wondering about the
> diving,
> the dive ops and perhaps even some advice on where people stayed. I don't
> think I really want to be bunking in with the whole damn family, so will
> be
> looking for my own digs preferably within a convenient distance.
>
> So, please keep it coming folks. I've got nothing against clear waters
> and
> turtles. I don't expect everyone of my dives to be like Sipadan . . .but
> don't necessarily want them to be St. Martin either.
>
>> kjw wrote:

> nice

> Barbados in
>> > >>

>> > I had a different take on it, after diving there in December. Maybe
>> > the conditions were just right, but this was the best of the three
>> > dive destinations of our cruise (St. Thomas and Aruba were the
>> > others). Tons of turtles and the visibility was awesome.
>> >
>> > I used a company called Barbados Blue that I would definitely dive
>> > with again.

04 Sep 2007 13:39:40
Fred
Re: Diving in Barbados?

Actually it was called The DIVE SHOP, near the Hilton International?

Fred
"Fred @optonline.net >" <biersf<xxx> wrote in message
> We stayed at Divi, which is on the St Lawerence Gap(i.e., string of
> restaurants, approx. 20) They had nice beach.
> Dove with the DIVE HOUSE, which gave us a package(i.e. , cheaper per tank)
> . There were several good dive sites, and the night in the bay was
> excellent. Saw approx. 100 pairs of Trumpet fish hanging over tugboat sunk
> in bay.
>
> We needed a car to get around. and get to dive shop.
>
> Fred
> "chilly" <slarson@shaw.canada> wrote in message
>>
>> "Daniel Kessler" <dkessler@pop.cybernex.net> wrote in message
>>> Barbados is a playgrouhd for the very wealthy sun lovers and people who
>> have
>>> homes in "gated communities"...or for someone anxious to see where
>>> Mt.Gay
>> rum
>>> comes from. It is a convenient airline "hub" for divers heading to other
>> weak
>>> sites in that outer fringe of the Atlantic Ocean collides with the
>> Caribbean...
>>> such as St. Vincent and the Grenadines or Saint Lucia..
>>
>> Yes, yes, I know all that. My friends will be staying in just such a
>> gated
>> community. I've used Barbados as my transfer point to Bequia in the
>> past.
>>
>> In the meantime, since I need to get my fix, and my friends will be there
>> and want to see me (and I want to see them), I'm wondering about the
>> diving,
>> the dive ops and perhaps even some advice on where people stayed. I
>> don't
>> think I really want to be bunking in with the whole damn family, so will
>> be
>> looking for my own digs preferably within a convenient distance.
>>
>> So, please keep it coming folks. I've got nothing against clear waters
>> and
>> turtles. I don't expect everyone of my dives to be like Sipadan . . .but
>> don't necessarily want them to be St. Martin either.

>> nice

>> Barbados in

05 Sep 2007 21:53:55
janerene
Mustique

What is the diving like at Mustique? Sand/coral? Fish/wildlife? TIA

06 Sep 2007 05:52:00
chilly
Re: Diving in Barbados?

> Actually it was called The DIVE SHOP, near the Hilton International?
>
> Fred

Thanks Fred!

Looks like Barbados is out though . . so I'm still looking for the right
place for my next dive trip

> "Fred @optonline.net>" <biersf<xxx> wrote in message
> > We stayed at Divi, which is on the St Lawerence Gap(i.e., string of
> > restaurants, approx. 20) They had nice beach.
> > Dove with the DIVE HOUSE, which gave us a package(i.e. , cheaper per
tank)
> > . There were several good dive sites, and the night in the bay was
> > excellent. Saw approx. 100 pairs of Trumpet fish hanging over tugboat
sunk
> > in bay.
> >
> > We needed a car to get around. and get to dive shop.
> >
> > Fred
> > "chilly" <slarson@shaw.canada> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Daniel Kessler" <dkessler@pop.cybernex.net> wrote in message
> >> have
> >> rum
> >> weak
> >> Caribbean...
> >>
> >> Yes, yes, I know all that. My friends will be staying in just such a
> >> gated
> >> community. I've used Barbados as my transfer point to Bequia in the
> >> past.
> >>
> >> In the meantime, since I need to get my fix, and my friends will be
there
> >> and want to see me (and I want to see them), I'm wondering about the
> >> diving,
> >> the dive ops and perhaps even some advice on where people stayed. I
> >> don't
> >> think I really want to be bunking in with the whole damn family, so
will
> >> be
> >> looking for my own digs preferably within a convenient distance.
> >>
> >> So, please keep it coming folks. I've got nothing against clear waters
> >> and
> >> turtles. I don't expect everyone of my dives to be like Sipadan . .
.but
> >> don't necessarily want them to be St. Martin either.

> >> nice

> >> Barbados in

08 Sep 2007 09:29:24
-hh
Re: Diving in Barbados?

Lee Bell wrote:
> "ben bradlee" wrote
>
> >> When did I get so damned optimistic?
>
> > When the BS gauge touched the full mark.
>
> In this bunch of groups, that was a long time ago.

I call BS :-)

Thus said, I do agree that some aspects of travel are indeed a state
of mind. Not being a flaming pissant tends to make everything less of
a hassle - - and it doesn't take much to allow people to go out of
their way to help you.

-hh
(still on the road)

09 Sep 2007 21:34:18
chilly
Re: Diving in Barbados?

"-hh" <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com > wrote in message

> I call BS :-)
>

> Thus said, I do agree that some aspects of travel are indeed a state
> of mind. Not being a flaming pissant tends to make everything less of
> a hassle - - and it doesn't take much to allow people to go out of
> their way to help you.

This is true and I endevour to find that zen-zone that makes it all so much
easier to bear.

Regardless, I am generally uncomfortable on a plane after an hour or two.
Standing in line for customs and security is a drag, having security go
through my bags and confiscate my ceramic nail file, while humorous, still
has its annoyance factor, sitting around an airport bores me and trying to
find gates in a short period of time can agitate me. The longer the journey
and more numerous the transfers, the more tired I get. Not to mention that
airplanes are mainly germ/virus recycling factories.

All of this can serve to take some of the joy away from my ultimate
destination experience.

09 Sep 2007 20:30:53
Lee Bell
Re: Diving in Barbados?

> "-hh" <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I call BS :-)
>>

>> Thus said, I do agree that some aspects of travel are indeed a state
>> of mind. Not being a flaming pissant tends to make everything less of
>> a hassle - - and it doesn't take much to allow people to go out of
>> their way to help you.
>
> This is true and I endevour to find that zen-zone that makes it all so
> much
> easier to bear.
>
> Regardless, I am generally uncomfortable on a plane after an hour or two.
> Standing in line for customs and security is a drag, having security go
> through my bags and confiscate my ceramic nail file, while humorous, still
> has its annoyance factor, sitting around an airport bores me and trying to
> find gates in a short period of time can agitate me. The longer the
> journey
> and more numerous the transfers, the more tired I get. Not to mention
> that
> airplanes are mainly germ/virus recycling factories.
>
> All of this can serve to take some of the joy away from my ultimate
> destination experience.

I carry a PDA that includes tens of books, which is why I still haven't read
the book you sent me. Reading while waiting in line makes it easier for me.

Lee

11 Sep 2007 16:45:15
chilly
Re: Diving in Barbados?

"Lee Bell" <pleebell@bellsouth.net > wrote in message
> "chilly" <slarson@shaw.canada> wrote in message
> >

> I carry a PDA that includes tens of books, which is why I still haven't
read
> the book you sent me. Reading while waiting in line makes it easier for
me.

I should probably get an IPod loaded with books on tape. That might keep me
distracted from the whole thing, other than my discomfort on the plane that
is. The seats being setup for the airlines determination of the average
traveller are never the right fit and/or angle for me. I can't sleep on a
plane either.

11 Sep 2007 13:46:13
Lee Bell
Re: Diving in Barbados?

chilly wrote

> I should probably get an IPod loaded with books on tape. That might keep
> me
> distracted from the whole thing, other than my discomfort on the plane
> that
> is. The seats being setup for the airlines determination of the average
> traveller are never the right fit and/or angle for me. I can't sleep on
> plane either.

I don't sleep well on a plane either. Come to think of it, at my age, I
don't sleep well in a bed either, but do fine on the couch in front of the
TV.

I like books on tape in cars, particularly on long trips. Paying attention
to them seems to help me avoid highway hypnosis. On planes and other places,
I prefer the written words partly because I don't hear as well as I once
did, but mostly because I add my own emphasis, inflection, etc. to the words
in my mind. I do a much better job of it than someone reading the story too
me through a microphone. YMMV.

Lee

12 Sep 2007 05:33:31

> > I should probably get an IPod loaded with books on tape. That might
keep
> > me
> > distracted from the whole thing, other than my discomfort on the plane
> > that
> > is. The seats being setup for the airlines determination of the average
> > traveller are never the right fit and/or angle for me. I can't sleep
on
> > plane either.
>
> I don't sleep well on a plane either. Come to think of it, at my age, I
> don't sleep well in a bed either, but do fine on the couch in front of the
> TV.

Yeah, well, you know about my insomnia problem. I can't sleep anywhere and
if it is some place unfamiliar, it's worse.

> I like books on tape in cars, particularly on long trips. Paying attention
> to them seems to help me avoid highway hypnosis.

Seems to get me to where I'm going faster too. If it is a new destination
then music is probably a better choice but when it's a long haul on a
highway I've travelled many times before, then the stories on tape seem to
get me there ever so much faster.

> On planes and other places,
> I prefer the written words partly because I don't hear as well as I once
> did, but mostly because I add my own emphasis, inflection, etc. to the
words
> in my mind. I do a much better job of it than someone reading the story
too
> me through a microphone. YMMV.

I prefer the written word to stories on tape too, however, it is so hard to
read a book while driving . .not that it can't be done, of course. (wg)

12 Sep 2007 06:55:34
Lee Bell
Re: Diving in Barbados?

chilly wrote

> Yeah, well, you know about my insomnia problem. I can't sleep anywhere
> and
> if it is some place unfamiliar, it's worse.

I still travel a fair amount for work. It's not unusual for me to have
trouble sleeping the first night or two. After that, I'm so exhausted, I go
to sleep early and stay asleep all night. Once I've done that, I'm OK for
the duration of the trip. Problem is, my trips are getting shorter, one or
two nights only.

>> I like books on tape in cars, particularly on long trips. Paying
>> attention
>> to them seems to help me avoid highway hypnosis.
>
> Seems to get me to where I'm going faster too. If it is a new destination
> then music is probably a better choice but when it's a long haul on a
> highway I've travelled many times before, then the stories on tape seem to
> get me there ever so much faster.

You have to be careful to match your book to your trip. There have been
times when I've slowed down or even pulled over to the side of the road to
hear the end of a book before reaching my destination.

> I prefer the written word to stories on tape too, however, it is so hard
> read a book while driving . .not that it can't be done, of course. (wg)

I try not to read while driving, but have to admit to having done it on
occasion.

Lee

12 Sep 2007 13:45:22

> chilly wrote
>
> > Yeah, well, you know about my insomnia problem. I can't sleep anywhere
> > and
> > if it is some place unfamiliar, it's worse.
>
> I still travel a fair amount for work. It's not unusual for me to have
> trouble sleeping the first night or two. After that, I'm so exhausted, I
go
> to sleep early and stay asleep all night. Once I've done that, I'm OK for
> the duration of the trip. Problem is, my trips are getting shorter, one or
> two nights only.

You must be in hell. I know I would be. But I got a good solid 4.25 hours
last night, so I'm sure I'll be sharp as a tack today. :^)

> > get me there ever so much faster.
>
> You have to be careful to match your book to your trip. There have been
> times when I've slowed down or even pulled over to the side of the road to
> hear the end of a book before reaching my destination.

LOL! Yes, I know about that.

> > I prefer the written word to stories on tape too, however, it is so hard
> > read a book while driving . .not that it can't be done, of course. (wg)
>
> I try not to read while driving, but have to admit to having done it on
> occasion.

:^) I've not read a book while driving, only directions or notes for a
meeting. I did see my father reading a book once, but we were out driving
on lonely country roads.

12 Sep 2007 11:28:58
Lee Bell
Re: Diving in Barbados?

chilly wrote

>> I still travel a fair amount for work. It's not unusual for me to have
>> trouble sleeping the first night or two. After that, I'm so exhausted, I
>> go to sleep early and stay asleep all night. Once I've done that, I'm OK
>> for
>> the duration of the trip. Problem is, my trips are getting shorter, one
>> or
>> two nights only.

> You must be in hell. I know I would be. But I got a good solid 4.25
> hours
> last night, so I'm sure I'll be sharp as a tack today. :^)

Money makes it easier to tolerate the inconvenience.

12 Sep 2007 13:30:48
Mark
Re: Diving in Barbados?

Lee Bell wrote:
> chilly wrote
>

>>>I still travel a fair amount for work. It's not unusual for me to have
>>>trouble sleeping the first night or two. After that, I'm so exhausted, I
>>>go to sleep early and stay asleep all night. Once I've done that, I'm OK
>>>for
>>>the duration of the trip. Problem is, my trips are getting shorter, one
>>>or
>>>two nights only.
>

>>You must be in hell. I know I would be. But I got a good solid 4.25
>>hours
>>last night, so I'm sure I'll be sharp as a tack today. :^)
>

> Money makes it easier to tolerate the inconvenience.

LMAO
Been following this thread cause for me:
no travel = no pay

I setup networks for medical conventions and none of those are in
Central PA.

Noise cancelling headphones with Ipod on the plane, United always for
Economy Plus seating.

Small speakers or laptop with Itunes/ipod for familiar music in rooms.
Books a plenty and Mapquest for bookstores near hotel.

A good workout in the mornings.
At most I have trouble sleeping the second night (go figure, not the first)

mark

12 Sep 2007 14:27:50
Lee Bell
Re: Diving in Barbados?

Mark wrote

> LMAO
> Been following this thread cause for me: no travel = no pay

> I setup networks for medical conventions and none of those are in Central
> PA.

No surprise there. Doctors are smarter than that. If they're going to plan a
tax deductable vacation, they're going to find someplace a lot fancier than
Central Pa to do it in.

> Noise cancelling headphones with Ipod on the plane, United always for
> Economy Plus seating.

I wish I could choose the same airline all the time. I used to be able to
and had premium status with Delta, National and American at one time or
another. These days, however, I am required to use whoever the government
contract carrier is for the route. Since it's different carriers for
different routes, I no longer have enough miles per year with any one
carrier to retain my preferred status.

> Small speakers or laptop with Itunes/ipod for familiar music in rooms.
> Books a plenty and Mapquest for bookstores near hotel.

My books are on my PDA. I have roughly 100 of them unread and 126 of them
previously read. By the time I finish them all, I will have forgotten enough
about some of them to start all over again. Did I mention they were free?

> A good workout in the mornings. At most I have trouble sleeping the second
> night (go figure, not the first)

What's a workout?

I don't get to do anything in the moarnings. I start work at 6 when at home
and tend to wake up at the same time when traveling. These days, my travel
tends to take me west, into another time zone. It's not unusual for me to be
up and working by 5:00 their time. I could workout in the evenings, but by
then, I just don't have the energy to do so.

My current PDA is also a GPS, which beats Mapquest all hollow for finding
things. It was great back when I stayed out long enough to justify renting a
car. It doesn't mean much any more. I don't rent a car for a few day trip. I
just stay close enough to where I'll be working to walk.

Tomorrow, my new combination phone, pda and GPS will be shipped to me
overnight freight. I expect it will do everything I currently do with my PDA
and separate phone and then some. The big question is whether I'll be able
to read my books on the smaller screen. It's a HTC TyTn II.

Lee