10 Aug 2007 20:42:15
Bob
Costa Rica - Osa Peninsula - Cano Island

Hi all,

My wife and I are thinking of going to Costa Rica in January and diving Cano
Island, off of Drake Bay on the Osa Peninsula. As you know, diving is very
equipment intensive. I hear things about a 25 pounds weight limit. I
definitely need to bring mycomputer, u/v video and case and mask, (very
strong prescription bifocal.) I would also like to bring my flood light if
possible. I'd like to take all my own equipment, but I could live with
renting the rest if necessary. My wife wants her regs.

This is something we've been talking about for years, but we always get
stopped by the weight thing and questions about the season to go. We don't
want get rained out or stuck in the mud. Does anyone have any knowledge of
diving Cano or seeing the wildlife on the Osa? We've dived in many places,
but this seems the most confusing. I'd love to hear from someone who has
experience diving there.

We're also planning on spending some time seeing the cloud forest and
Arenal, probably in a rented vehicle. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob Klemow
dvbob@ptd.net
http://www.scubadadreefpix.com/fishies.htm

10 Aug 2007 23:21:40
Rosalie B.
Re: Costa Rica - Osa Peninsula - Cano Island

"Bob" <dvbob@ptd.net > wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>My wife and I are thinking of going to Costa Rica in January and diving Cano
>Island, off of Drake Bay on the Osa Peninsula. As you know, diving is very
>equipment intensive. I hear things about a 25 pounds weight limit. I
>definitely need to bring mycomputer, u/v video and case and mask, (very
>strong prescription bifocal.) I would also like to bring my flood light if
>possible. I'd like to take all my own equipment, but I could live with
>renting the rest if necessary. My wife wants her regs.

I think you could fit that into a 25 lb weight limit as long as you
don't need too many clothes. But I've snorkeled at Cano and I thought
that the really excellent diving is at an island with a similar name
which is a good bit farther out. Most of the time diving at Isla del
Coco is done from a live-aboard dive boat. The attraction there is the
big marine animals like hammerhead sharks.

>This is something we've been talking about for years, but we always get
>stopped by the weight thing and questions about the season to go. We don't
>want get rained out or stuck in the mud. Does anyone have any knowledge of
>diving Cano or seeing the wildlife on the Osa? We've dived in many places,
>but this seems the most confusing. I'd love to hear from someone who has
>experience diving there.
>
>We're also planning on spending some time seeing the cloud forest and
>Arenal, probably in a rented vehicle. Any advice would be appreciated.

We've done almost exactly what you propose, but 10 years ago -- in
February of 1996 we went to Costa Rica to see the rain forest. We used
a travel agent (Pat Hewitt of Costa Rica Travel Exchange)
http://www.crtravelexchange.com/intro.html that I got a
recommendation for from the internet, and he was terrific.

After we landed in San Jose , we went to Tortuguero on the Caribbean
coast , and Drakes Bay on the Pacific coast on package trips, and
drove to Arenal by way of Sarchi and Monteverde on our own. We saw
several different varieties of rain forest including a lot of animals
(monkeys, alligators, poison arrow frogs), birds and plants. And we
spent less money on 13 days in Costa Rica than we did on 5 days on
Bermuda.

[Of course it helped that we didn't pay for our air fare to Costa Rica
because we flew on a buddy pass supplied by our daughter who is an
airline pilot.]

Trip report here
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/2c0d8/#TL

Some of this information is going to still be valid.

11 Aug 2007 00:28:17
Jer

Bob wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> My wife and I are thinking of going to Costa Rica in January and diving=
=20
> Cano Island, off of Drake Bay on the Osa Peninsula. As you know, divin=
g=20
> is very equipment intensive. I hear things about a 25 pounds weight=20
> limit. I definitely need to bring mycomputer, u/v video and case and=20
> mask, (very strong prescription bifocal.) I would also like to bring m=
y=20
> flood light if possible. I'd like to take all my own equipment, but I =

> could live with renting the rest if necessary. My wife wants her regs.=

>=20
> This is something we've been talking about for years, but we always get=
=20
> stopped by the weight thing and questions about the season to go. We=20
> don't want get rained out or stuck in the mud. Does anyone have any=20
> knowledge of diving Cano or seeing the wildlife on the Osa? We've dive=
d=20
> in many places, but this seems the most confusing. I'd love to hear=20
> from someone who has experience diving there.
>=20
> We're also planning on spending some time seeing the cloud forest and=20
> Arenal, probably in a rented vehicle. Any advice would be appreciated.=

>=20
> Bob Klemow
> dvbob@ptd.net
> http://www.scubadadreefpix.com/fishies.htm

Bob, you didn't mention you've seen this, but here's the Drake Bay=20
website http://www.drakebay.com

I've been there a coupla times, summer and winter, and I'm returning in=20
September after I peek at a business deal in Panama. Jan is prime time=20
(a little cooler & less rain, but more crowds). An ex-pat named Herbert =

and wife Marleny run the place with their family.

Used to be a quaint place, an adventure to get to, but that's all=20
changed with road improvements from Sierpe. I hear DB even has=20
electricity full time now, and harvest restrictions have now replaced=20
the thatch cabin roofs with tin roofs. Not being an ocean angler, I=20
used an off day for a fishing trip and snagged an excellent yellow fin=20
that fed the place for two days. If you like a lot of walking, I'll=20
recommend the Corcovado park tour, very informative. Kayaking on the=20
river is a nice diversion too.

This is a message I sent to a friend soon after my first visit...

Isla de Ca=F1o Biological Reserve is a small island in the Bahia de=20
Coronado in Costa Rica located on the Pacific side of Costa Rica, west=20
of the Peninsula de Osa. It has been established as a protected national =

park, with a permanent ranger station on the island. Nonetheless, it is=20
a popular tourist destination, attracting visitors for its beaches,=20
coral beds, and sea life. Researchers currently use the coral beds to=20
study the factors surrounding coral death and recolonization. Marine=20
life includes manta rays, dolphins, sea turtles, whales, and a wide=20
variety of fish. The limited diversity of terrestrial fauna, however, is =

noticeable, with the island having less than one percent of the insect=20
diversity of the peninsula and an absence of numerous animals native to=20
the nearby mainland. Evidence of pre-Colombian human activity on the=20
island is substantial, with some of the most interesting artifacts being =

almost perfect stone spheres evidently carved by an earlier population.

Ca=F1o is also the site of great archeological interest as it was once=20
used as a pre-Columbian cemetery by cultures with a clear South American =

influence. Each year, Ca=F1o is struck by lightning more than any other=20
part of Central America, this is believed to be the reason why native=20
indian cultures considered this place sacred.

The island is an extinct volcano rising 90m above sea level to a wide=20
plateau and covered with a tall evergreen forest. It is surrounded by=20
low coral reefs where many species of stony coral have been identified.

It is possible to see some of the perfectly round stone spheres made by=20
the former native indians, and today they continue to pose one of the=20
major puzzles of the pre-Columbian cultures in Central America.

Wildlife is scarce, perhaps as a result of the disappearance of the=20
natural forest, but a few birds can still be seen.

Ca=F1o diving is as unique as most any dive destination, just more remote=
=20
than most. About an hour by boat from Drake Bay, Ca=F1o looms out of the =

Pacific as an extinct volcano, most dive sites around it bottom out to=20
lava strewn canyons and rolling hills at a respectable 60-130'.

Water temps at the surface can range between 77-82 F and drop to 70-72 F =

at max depths. I wore a 3mm full-length one-piece wetsuit and was quite=20
comfortable. Water salinity is noticebly less than Caribbean sites,=20
offering an opportunity to make small adjustments in diver weights.

Currents around the island differ depending on depth, with bottom=20
currents often taking a different course than the one above. Typically,=20
the deeper current is also noticebly cooler, due to it's origin from=20
deeper waters farther out, welling up around the island and channeling=20
in the bottom valleys.

Overall visibility is often 80+ ft, but can suddenly and briefly drop to =

less than 30+ as a nutrient-rich subwave passes by. It is these times=20
when mantas can be spotted cruising in the distance. Whitetip sharks,=20
puffers, and moray eels abound in surprising numbers, and are easily=20
spotted among the volcaninc boulders. Schools of barracuda are often=20
near the surface and are welcome company during a safety stop.

Extended surface intervals include a restful picnic at a small beach=20
area on the north side of the island after signing a visitor log at the=20
nearby ranger station. Time (and energy) permitting, one can enjoy a=20
midday hike on a well marked trail to the top of the island, camera is a =

must. Also available at the beachside picnic are hundreds of land crabs=20
constantly scavenging for fruit rinds often provided by lunching divers. =

Lizards can also seen in the nearby surface brush, and they too welcome=20
leftover scraps.

There is a small underwater cave just offshore, and if the surface isn't =

too choppy, a short swim inside may turn up another whitetip or two.

Oh, by the way, be certain to bring your C-card, the DM will ask. As=20
well they should, the nearest chamber is eight hours away in Panama City.=

--=20
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

11 Aug 2007 10:10:24
Bob
Re: Costa Rica - Osa Peninsula - Cano Island

Jer,

Thank you for your help and the report. I tried to reply directly, but it
got returned.

Bob
"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten > wrote in message
Bob wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My wife and I are thinking of going to Costa Rica in January and diving
> Cano Island, off of Drake Bay on the Osa Peninsula. As you know, diving
> is very equipment intensive. I hear things about a 25 pounds weight
> limit. I definitely need to bring mycomputer, u/v video and case and
> mask, (very strong prescription bifocal.) I would also like to bring my
> flood light if possible. I'd like to take all my own equipment, but I
> could live with renting the rest if necessary. My wife wants her regs.
>
> This is something we've been talking about for years, but we always get
> stopped by the weight thing and questions about the season to go. We don't
> want get rained out or stuck in the mud. Does anyone have any knowledge
> of diving Cano or seeing the wildlife on the Osa? We've dived in many
> places, but this seems the most confusing. I'd love to hear from someone
> who has experience diving there.
>
> We're also planning on spending some time seeing the cloud forest and
> Arenal, probably in a rented vehicle. Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Bob Klemow
> dvbob@ptd.net
> http://www.scubadadreefpix.com/fishies.htm

Bob, you didn't mention you've seen this, but here's the Drake Bay
website http://www.drakebay.com

I've been there a coupla times, summer and winter, and I'm returning in
September after I peek at a business deal in Panama. Jan is prime time
(a little cooler & less rain, but more crowds). An ex-pat named Herbert
and wife Marleny run the place with their family.

Used to be a quaint place, an adventure to get to, but that's all
changed with road improvements from Sierpe. I hear DB even has
electricity full time now, and harvest restrictions have now replaced
the thatch cabin roofs with tin roofs. Not being an ocean angler, I
used an off day for a fishing trip and snagged an excellent yellow fin
that fed the place for two days. If you like a lot of walking, I'll
recommend the Corcovado park tour, very informative. Kayaking on the
river is a nice diversion too.

This is a message I sent to a friend soon after my first visit...

Isla de Caņo Biological Reserve is a small island in the Bahia de
[...]

Caņo is also the site of great archeological interest as it was once
used as a pre-Columbian cemetery by cultures with a clear South American
influence. Each year, Caņo is struck by lightning more than any other
part of Central America, this is believed to be the reason why native
indian cultures considered this place sacred.

The island is an extinct volcano rising 90m above sea level to a wide
plateau and covered with a tall evergreen forest. It is surrounded by
low coral reefs where many species of stony coral have been identified.

It is possible to see some of the perfectly round stone spheres made by
the former native indians, and today they continue to pose one of the
major puzzles of the pre-Columbian cultures in Central America.

Wildlife is scarce, perhaps as a result of the disappearance of the
natural forest, but a few birds can still be seen.

Caņo diving is as unique as most any dive destination, just more remote
than most. About an hour by boat from Drake Bay, Caņo looms out of the

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

11 Aug 2007 17:47:39
Jer

Bob wrote:
> Jer,
>
> Thank you for your help and the report. I tried to reply directly, but
> it got returned.

That's okay, I see it here and you're welcome. As things happen, I
chatted with my Panama cohort a bit earlier who's been there more
recently than I, and I asked about transport options between San Jose
and Drake Bay. There's Nature Air http://www.natureair.comthat uses a
30-pax twin-eng tree-hoppers to the strip at DB. You won't see a lot
from the altitude, but it's quick. Website has air routes, baggage
limits, sched, fares and makes it far too easy to get around the area. :)

There's also cheaper 1-day bus service SJ to Sierpe, a cab to a dock
nearby, and water ferry into DB. Unknown cost and sched, but certainly
more scenic with no weight limits. I like both features a lot.

Either choice, DB has a local PADI shop with their own boats and rental
kit for the light travelers. The shop encourages conservative dive
profiles and is safety conscious for all the right reasons.

Be sure to not tell anybody about this, I don't want the place to get
too crowded. :)

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

12 Aug 2007 14:36:46
Bob
Re: Costa Rica - Osa Peninsula - Cano Island

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

> Bob wrote:
>> Jer,
>>
>> Thank you for your help and the report. I tried to reply directly, but
>> it got returned.
>>

> That's okay, I see it here and you're welcome. As things happen, I
> chatted with my Panama cohort a bit earlier who's been there more recently
> than I, and I asked about transport options between San Jose and Drake
> Bay. There's Nature Air http://www.natureair.comthat uses a 30-pax
> twin-eng tree-hoppers to the strip at DB. You won't see a lot from the
> altitude, but it's quick. Website has air routes, baggage limits, sched,
> fares and makes it far too easy to get around the area. :)
>
> There's also cheaper 1-day bus service SJ to Sierpe, a cab to a dock
> nearby, and water ferry into DB. Unknown cost and sched, but certainly
> more scenic with no weight limits. I like both features a lot.
>
> Either choice, DB has a local PADI shop with their own boats and rental
> kit for the light travelers. The shop encourages conservative dive
> profiles and is safety conscious for all the right reasons.
>
> Be sure to not tell anybody about this, I don't want the place to get too
> crowded. :)
>

> --
> jer
> email reply - I am not a 'ten'

13 Aug 2007 07:06:28
Daniel Kessler
Re: Costa Rica - Osa Peninsula - Cano Island

One never hears of any dive charter groups heading to Costa Rica except to go to
the that cold-water destination out in the Pacific with the sharks....so if
you've dived extensively in the Galapagos (another cold water destination)
...why go to Costa Rica? I mean, I'm reading about all these non-diving
activities in these posts that is meant to lure divers to go there....so where's
the beef? How scant is the coral?
And if the diving is so wonderful -- why are the dive charter groups absent?

Bob wrote:

> Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.
>
> Bob
> "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
> > Bob wrote:
> >> Jer,
> >>
> >> Thank you for your help and the report. I tried to reply directly, but
> >> it got returned.
> >>

> > That's okay, I see it here and you're welcome. As things happen, I
> > chatted with my Panama cohort a bit earlier who's been there more recently
> > than I, and I asked about transport options between San Jose and Drake
> > Bay. There's Nature Air http://www.natureair.comthat uses a 30-pax
> > twin-eng tree-hoppers to the strip at DB. You won't see a lot from the
> > altitude, but it's quick. Website has air routes, baggage limits, sched,
> > fares and makes it far too easy to get around the area. :)
> >
> > There's also cheaper 1-day bus service SJ to Sierpe, a cab to a dock
> > nearby, and water ferry into DB. Unknown cost and sched, but certainly
> > more scenic with no weight limits. I like both features a lot.
> >
> > Either choice, DB has a local PADI shop with their own boats and rental
> > kit for the light travelers. The shop encourages conservative dive
> > profiles and is safety conscious for all the right reasons.
> >
> > Be sure to not tell anybody about this, I don't want the place to get too
> > crowded. :)
> >

> > --
> > jer
> > email reply - I am not a 'ten'

13 Aug 2007 08:09:24
Greg Mossman

On Aug 13, 4:06 am, Daniel Kessler <dkess...@pop.cybernex.net > wrote:
> One never hears of any dive charter groups heading to Costa Rica except to go to
> the that cold-water destination out in the Pacific with the sharks....

Really? My LDS used to do an annual trip there and I've seen plenty
of trips advertised through other dive shops. Maybe you're going
deaf.

> so if
> you've dived extensively in the Galapagos (another cold water destination)
> ...why go to Costa Rica? I mean, I'm reading about all these non-diving
> activities in these posts that is meant to lure divers to go there....so where's
> the beef? How scant is the coral?

Coral? This is Pacific coast diving. It's for big animals, not
coral.

Liveaboards to Cocos cost a lot of money and take a lot of time (30+
hour crossing each way) that eats up sightseeing time for the rest of
the country for divers interested in more than just below-surface
attractions.

The beef is big animal diving, as the plankton-rich waters attract
lots of fish and the creatures that feed off those fish. Last time I
flew to CR, the airfare was only $400 in coach, $1,000 in first-class,
and land accomodations and diving are reasonably priced as well.
That's a lot cheaper than the Caribbean for me and a lot lot cheaper
than venturing even further.

> And if the diving is so wonderful -- why are the dive charter groups absent?

I bet they get a lot more U.S. dive charters than the Solomons,
probably as many as Fiji. Besides, no one said the diving is so
wonderful, but for the price you pay and the big animals you're likely
to see, it's something different for divers otherwise used to clear
warm Caribbean waters.

13 Aug 2007 12:13:15
Daniel Kessler

Greg Mossman wrote:

The beef is big animal diving, as the plankton-rich waters attract

> lots of fish and the creatures that feed off those fish. Last time I
> flew to CR, the airfare was only $400 in coach, $1,000 in first-class,
> and land accomodations and diving are reasonably priced as well.
> That's a lot cheaper than the Caribbean for me and a lot lot cheaper
> than venturing even further.

Yes, but you're off message (as usual)...not talking about Cocos diving!

Talking about diving around Costa Rica (and nearby island).

Do you suffer from dyslexia? The curious want to know?

> > And if the diving is so wonderful -- why are the dive charter groups absent?
>
> I bet they get a lot more U.S. dive charters than the Solomons,

sorry, guessing won't do...we need facts!

How many charters are in play these days to dive mainland Costa Rica

I know the Solomons, had three trips there -- how many have you had?

And 13 trips for diving to Fiji... a great place to be in August (Austral winter).

13 Aug 2007 12:55:54
Greg Mossman

On Aug 13, 9:13 am, Daniel Kessler <dkess...@pop.cybernex.net > wrote:
> Greg Mossman wrote:
>
> The beef is big animal diving, as the plankton-rich waters attract
>
> > lots of fish and the creatures that feed off those fish. Last time I
> > flew to CR, the airfare was only $400 in coach, $1,000 in first-class,
> > and land accomodations and diving are reasonably priced as well.
> > That's a lot cheaper than the Caribbean for me and a lot lot cheaper
> > than venturing even further.
>
> Yes, but you're off message (as usual)...not talking about Cocos diving!
>
> Talking about diving around Costa Rica (and nearby island).

Obviously so am I, which is why I brought up the expense and time of
traveling to Cocos as a reason why someone would stay on the mainland.

> Do you suffer from dyslexia? The curious want to know?

Do you suffer from retardation? Most people here can comprehend
English just fine. Obviously you have a disconnect somewhere.

> > > And if the diving is so wonderful -- why are the dive charter groups absent?
>
> > I bet they get a lot more U.S. dive charters than the Solomons,
>
> sorry, guessing won't do...we need facts!

I don't need facts. It's obvious to me.

> How many charters are in play these days to dive mainland Costa Rica
>
> I know the Solomons, had three trips there -- how many have you had?

So your three trips there mean there are more dive charters there than
in Costa Rica? Talk about retardation and disconnects, I guess I
answered my own question.

> And 13 trips for diving to Fiji... a great place to be in August (Austral winter).

Figured you would mention Fiji somewhere in this thread. After all,
it's about Costa Rica.

But Fiji obviously isn't the subject here, it's Costa Rica. Obviously
you've never been to Costa Rica, as you're as ignorant about diving
there as you are about most places except for Fiji and the Solomons.

14 Aug 2007 07:31:06
Daniel Kessler
Re: Costa Rica - Osa Peninsula - Cano Island

No, I haven't yet been to Costa Rica...but have had two trips to Honduras --
Roatan on "live-aboards"...dived the "Blue Hole" and all that. I've also dived a lot of
the Caribbean, from its outer fringe -- Tobago, Domenica, Guadaloupe, Martinique, St.
Lucia, and the other "Saint" next to it.....then swining back in a Westward arc of the
Caribbean...Cozumel, Grand Cayman,Cayman Brac, Little Cayman...but concurrently -- every
year from 1975 to 2000 I managed to dive somewhere in the Indo-Pacific regions of our
planet -- from the Philippines to the Seychelles, Mauritius, 3 trips to the Maldives, 2
trips to the Coral Sea by dive charter (GBR) that took me way out to remote Marion
reef...and the like, not to forget three trips to the Solomons, 5 trips to Vanuatu, 5
trips to PNG, 2 trips to Tonga, Samoa, Micronesia (two trips to Palau and one to
Truk...and much, more. Did I not mention the Red Sea -- sorry about that! And wait, I
forgot the dive charter of three weeks circuling the North, Middle and South islands of
the Galapagos!

If you can match that record -- I will tip my hat to you!

Greg Mossman wrote:

> On Aug 13, 9:13 am, Daniel Kessler <dkess...@pop.cybernex.net> wrote:
> > Greg Mossman wrote:
> >
> > The beef is big animal diving, as the plankton-rich waters attract
> >
> > > lots of fish and the creatures that feed off those fish. Last time I
> > > flew to CR, the airfare was only $400 in coach, $1,000 in first-class,
> > > and land accomodations and diving are reasonably priced as well.
> > > That's a lot cheaper than the Caribbean for me and a lot lot cheaper
> > > than venturing even further.
> >
> > Yes, but you're off message (as usual)...not talking about Cocos diving!
> >
> > Talking about diving around Costa Rica (and nearby island).
>
> Obviously so am I, which is why I brought up the expense and time of
> traveling to Cocos as a reason why someone would stay on the mainland.
>
> > Do you suffer from dyslexia? The curious want to know?
>
> Do you suffer from retardation? Most people here can comprehend
> English just fine. Obviously you have a disconnect somewhere.

> > > I bet they get a lot more U.S. dive charters than the Solomons,
> >
> > sorry, guessing won't do...we need facts!
>
> I don't need facts. It's obvious to me.
>
> > How many charters are in play these days to dive mainland Costa Rica
> >
> > I know the Solomons, had three trips there -- how many have you had?
>
> So your three trips there mean there are more dive charters there than
> in Costa Rica? Talk about retardation and disconnects, I guess I
> answered my own question.
>
> > And 13 trips for diving to Fiji... a great place to be in August (Austral winter).
>
> Figured you would mention Fiji somewhere in this thread. After all,
> it's about Costa Rica.
>
> But Fiji obviously isn't the subject here, it's Costa Rica. Obviously
> you've never been to Costa Rica, as you're as ignorant about diving
> there as you are about most places except for Fiji and the Solomons.

14 Aug 2007 17:03:08
Bob
Re: Costa Rica - Osa Peninsula - Cano Island

Daniel,

You're a very lucky man to have had all these wonderful SCUBA experiences.
Again, I thank you for your advice. I hadn't meant my question to lead to a
life and death struggle over dive spot review qualifications. If you'd like
to see my dive reviews from the last few years, you can read them at
http://www.scubadadreefpix.com/fishies.htm

I'm afraid I've only had four Pacific Dive trips in my life so far, only one
in the Western Pacific. I truly envy you. I usually go with my wife, and
she hates long plane rides. The Red Sea Trip was too much for her, and she
didn't accompany me to the Coral Sea. It's time I started heading out
alone. Pictures from many of my earlier dive experiences can be found at
http://www.scubadadreefpix.com/links.htm#Fish

I find differences of opinion perfectly acceptable.

Again, thanks for your advice.

Bob