29 Aug 2007 11:00:13
Mark
Cayman Aggressor? thoughts, opinions?

Hey,
thinking of a dive vacation in Jan/Feb 08 and this seemed like a best of
all worlds kind of thing.
Great diving, Great food, lots to drink.

Anyone disagree?

Thanks,
Mark

29 Aug 2007 16:33:33
-hh
Re: Cayman Aggressor? thoughts, opinions?

Mark <_vbac...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> Hey,
> thinking of a dive vacation in Jan/Feb 08 and this seemed like a best of
> all worlds kind of thing.
> Great diving, Great food, lots to drink.
>
> Anyone disagree?

Classically, "winter" is the general timeframe with which the
prevailing weather conditions make it less likely for the Cayman
Aggressor to be willing to make the ~80 mile crossing over to Little
Cayman.

As such, check on the seasonal variation and CA trip reports (on their
website) to decide to what degree this factor is (or isn't) important
to you.

-hh

29 Aug 2007 20:58:41
Ken
Re: Cayman Aggressor? thoughts, opinions?

I did the Cayman Aggressor in Februray 2004. We were not able to make
the crossing. They tried once, but it was way to rough. In fact they
hadn't been to the other Islands since October 2003. Of course the
week after I went, they made it. It was a great trip anyway, but I
wouldn't plan another one for that time period. The crew and food
was great, the rooms were small, but I was never in mine. Best dive
vacation around.

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:33:33 -0000, -hh
<recscuba_google@huntzinger.com > wrote:

>Mark <_vbac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hey,
>> thinking of a dive vacation in Jan/Feb 08 and this seemed like a best of
>> all worlds kind of thing.
>> Great diving, Great food, lots to drink.
>>
>> Anyone disagree?
>
>Classically, "winter" is the general timeframe with which the
>prevailing weather conditions make it less likely for the Cayman
>Aggressor to be willing to make the ~80 mile crossing over to Little
>Cayman.
>
>As such, check on the seasonal variation and CA trip reports (on their
>website) to decide to what degree this factor is (or isn't) important
>to you.
>

>-hh

29 Aug 2007 14:52:21
Elliott Goldstein
Re: Cayman Aggressor? thoughts, opinions?

i was on the cayman Aggressor in jan of this year. great boat and great
crew. we made it to both brac and little cayman, but the ride was a bit
bumpy.
elliott

Mark wrote:

> Hey,
> thinking of a dive vacation in Jan/Feb 08 and this seemed like a best
> of all worlds kind of thing.
> Great diving, Great food, lots to drink.
>
> Anyone disagree?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

30 Aug 2007 09:00:53
Mark

-hh wrote:
> Mark <_vbac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Hey,
>>thinking of a dive vacation in Jan/Feb 08 and this seemed like a best of
>>all worlds kind of thing.
>>Great diving, Great food, lots to drink.
>>
>>Anyone disagree?
>

> Classically, "winter" is the general timeframe with which the
> prevailing weather conditions make it less likely for the Cayman
> Aggressor to be willing to make the ~80 mile crossing over to Little
> Cayman.
>
> As such, check on the seasonal variation and CA trip reports (on their
> website) to decide to what degree this factor is (or isn't) important
> to you.
>

> -hh

Thank you for info.
You say Little Cayman is suspect but does that include Brac?
Do the conditions usually, or maybe sometimes, limit the diving to Grand
Cayman?

Thanks again,

Mark

30 Aug 2007 07:12:58
Greg Mossman

On Aug 30, 6:00 am, Mark <_vbac...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> -hh wrote:
> > Mark <_vbac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >>Hey,
> >>thinking of a dive vacation in Jan/Feb 08 and this seemed like a best of
> >>all worlds kind of thing.
> >>Great diving, Great food, lots to drink.
>
> >>Anyone disagree?
>
> > Classically, "winter" is the general timeframe with which the
> > prevailing weather conditions make it less likely for the Cayman
> > Aggressor to be willing to make the ~80 mile crossing over to Little
> > Cayman.
>
> > As such, check on the seasonal variation and CA trip reports (on their
> > website) to decide to what degree this factor is (or isn't) important
> > to you.
>
> > -hh
>
> Thank you for info.
> You say Little Cayman is suspect but does that include Brac?

Yes. Cayman Brac is near Little Cayman. Both are far from Grand
Cayman.

> Do the conditions usually, or maybe sometimes, limit the diving to Grand
> Cayman?

About half the year. Unfortunately that half of the year is scattered
over nonconsecutive weeks making it impossible to predict exactly when
the crossing will be made or not for any one trip.

30 Aug 2007 18:57:48

Greg Mossman <moss...@qnet.com > wrote:
> Mark <_vbac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you for info.
> > You say Little Cayman is suspect but does that include Brac?
>
> Yes. Cayman Brac is near Little Cayman. Both are far from Grand
> Cayman.

And since the Brac is to the East of LC, the Brac is even further
removed from Grand Cayman.

> > Do the conditions usually, or maybe sometimes, limit the diving to Grand
> > Cayman?
>
> About half the year. Unfortunately that half of the year is scattered
> over nonconsecutive weeks making it impossible to predict exactly when
> the crossing will be made or not for any one trip.

I'm not sure of the actual statistics, but I'm sure that one could
derive these from their website with a modest amount of effort - - it
would be nice to see someone doing the research to compile it
finally.

In broad-brush terms, the prevailing Cayman weather conditions are of
a wind out of the east, with it cycling between being of a northerly
tendency in winter to a southerly tendency in summer...but still out
of the East the whole time.

Since Little Cayman's Bloody Bay wall area is on the north side of
Little Cayman, it generally becomes more exposed to the windward in
the winter, plus it is very exposed to winter 'NorWester' storms
(which are retrograde motion events).

As Robert Heinlein wrote, "Climate's what you expect, Weather's what
you get" (sic). You can get lucky/unlucky at any time of year, but
I'm of the opinion that winter is generally 'less lucky'.

-hh

30 Aug 2007 19:15:53
Mark

-hh wrote:
> Greg Mossman <moss...@qnet.com> wrote:
>
>> Mark <_vbac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Thank you for info.
>>>You say Little Cayman is suspect but does that include Brac?
>>
>>Yes. Cayman Brac is near Little Cayman. Both are far from Grand
>>Cayman.
>

> And since the Brac is to the East of LC, the Brac is even further
> removed from Grand Cayman.
>

>>>Do the conditions usually, or maybe sometimes, limit the diving to Grand
>>>Cayman?
>>
>>About half the year. Unfortunately that half of the year is scattered
>>over nonconsecutive weeks making it impossible to predict exactly when
>>the crossing will be made or not for any one trip.
>

> I'm not sure of the actual statistics, but I'm sure that one could
> derive these from their website with a modest amount of effort - - it
> would be nice to see someone doing the research to compile it
> finally.
>
> In broad-brush terms, the prevailing Cayman weather conditions are of
> a wind out of the east, with it cycling between being of a northerly
> tendency in winter to a southerly tendency in summer...but still out
> of the East the whole time.
>
> Since Little Cayman's Bloody Bay wall area is on the north side of
> Little Cayman, it generally becomes more exposed to the windward in
> the winter, plus it is very exposed to winter 'NorWester' storms
> (which are retrograde motion events).
>
> As Robert Heinlein wrote, "Climate's what you expect, Weather's what
> you get" (sic). You can get lucky/unlucky at any time of year, but
> I'm of the opinion that winter is generally 'less lucky'.
>

> -hh

Thank you very much for the informative reply.
One of the very few times I got to see the phrase:
"Retrograde motion events" when it didn't translate into:
"RETREAT" or "RUN AWAY."

mark

30 Aug 2007 22:15:28
Bill
Re: Cayman Aggressor? thoughts, opinions?

Went on Little Cayman Diver 3 times mostly in spring or summer to get
fairly calm conditions and great diving. That is the most likely time
the Agressor will cross.

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:33:33 -0000, -hh
<recscuba_google@huntzinger.com > wrote:

>Mark <_vbac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hey,
>> thinking of a dive vacation in Jan/Feb 08 and this seemed like a best of
>> all worlds kind of thing.
>> Great diving, Great food, lots to drink.
>>
>> Anyone disagree?
>
>Classically, "winter" is the general timeframe with which the
>prevailing weather conditions make it less likely for the Cayman
>Aggressor to be willing to make the ~80 mile crossing over to Little
>Cayman.
>
>As such, check on the seasonal variation and CA trip reports (on their
>website) to decide to what degree this factor is (or isn't) important
>to you.
>

>-hh

31 Aug 2007 13:04:30
Mark
Topic Change: Belize?

Mark wrote:
> Hey,
> thinking of a dive vacation in Jan/Feb 08 and this seemed like a best of
> all worlds kind of thing.
> Great diving, Great food, lots to drink.
>
> Anyone disagree?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Would Belize be a better winter option? Still liking the Agressor idea
but, after being soaked by the winter weather realities, I am open to
other possibilities for the same time frame.

Thanks again to everyone.

mark

02 Sep 2007 06:57:13
chilly
Re: Topic Change: Belize?

"Mark" <_vbace_x@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> Mark wrote:
> > Hey,
> > thinking of a dive vacation in Jan/Feb 08 and this seemed like a best of
> > all worlds kind of thing.
> > Great diving, Great food, lots to drink.
> >
> > Anyone disagree?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark
>
> Would Belize be a better winter option? Still liking the Agressor idea
> but, after being soaked by the winter weather realities, I am open to
> other possibilities for the same time frame.
>
> Thanks again to everyone.

There's winter weather realities in Belize too. That said, I think Jan/Feb
could find some good weather. It can also find some northers but generally,
not a bad time of year to go.

Are you talking liveaboard or on land? If on land, where abouts in Belize
were you thinking?

02 Sep 2007 22:27:11
GWB
Re: Topic Change: Belize?

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 06:57:13 GMT, "chilly" <slarson@shaw.canada >
wrote:

>"Mark" <_vbace_x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Mark wrote:
>> > Hey,
>> > thinking of a dive vacation in Jan/Feb 08 and this seemed like a best of
>> > all worlds kind of thing.
>> > Great diving, Great food, lots to drink.
>> >
>> > Anyone disagree?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Mark
>>
>> Would Belize be a better winter option? Still liking the Agressor idea
>> but, after being soaked by the winter weather realities, I am open to
>> other possibilities for the same time frame.
>>
>> Thanks again to everyone.
>
>There's winter weather realities in Belize too. That said, I think Jan/Feb
>could find some good weather. It can also find some northers but generally,
>not a bad time of year to go.
>
>Are you talking liveaboard or on land? If on land, where abouts in Belize
>were you thinking?

Wait til Thursday to make a reservation.

:(

06 Sep 2007 18:41:49
Re: Topic Change: Belize?

Ambergris key is a charmer. Diving is mostly easy, unless you take a
side trip to Blue Hole. Plenty of resturants. Fish a la Elvie my
favorite dish. There is usualy at least one rooftop bar with a
sundown cocktail hour. Side trip by boat to a largely unspoiled Mayan
ruin. Watch for the Amish farm as you go upriver. There is actually a
large Mennonite community.

I did an Undercurrrent post that should still be available.

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:04:30 -0400, Mark <_vbace_x@yahoo.com > wrote:

>Mark wrote:
>> Hey,
>> thinking of a dive vacation in Jan/Feb 08 and this seemed like a best of
>> all worlds kind of thing.
>> Great diving, Great food, lots to drink.
>>
>> Anyone disagree?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>
>Would Belize be a better winter option? Still liking the Agressor idea
>but, after being soaked by the winter weather realities, I am open to
>other possibilities for the same time frame.
>
>Thanks again to everyone.
>
>mark

07 Sep 2007 04:12:32
chilly
Re: Topic Change: Belize?

<dsziede@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> Ambergris key is a charmer. Diving is mostly easy, unless you take a
> side trip to Blue Hole. Plenty of resturants. Fish a la Elvie my
> favorite dish. There is usualy at least one rooftop bar with a
> sundown cocktail hour.

Rooftop bar? That would be cool. Any chance you remember where you found
one?

Sun sets on the west side of the island, of course and almost all bars,
hotels and activities are on east side. Majority of bars are beachlevel or
a couple of stairs up. I'm trying my darndest to think of a rooftop bar and
all I can come up with is, Seabreeze had something going on their second
floor patio level at one time. The Yacht Club was going to have a bar
upstairs on their southside but I don't think they ever really got it going.

> Side trip by boat to a largely unspoiled Mayan
> ruin. Watch for the Amish farm as you go upriver. There is actually a
> large Mennonite community.

For clarity, this would refer to taking a day trip from the island to the
mainland and then a tour up river? Altun Ha? Lamanaii?

> I did an Undercurrrent post that should still be available.

Cool. Thx.

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:04:30 -0400, Mark <_vbace_x@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Mark wrote:
> >> Hey,
> >> thinking of a dive vacation in Jan/Feb 08 and this seemed like a best
of
> >> all worlds kind of thing.
> >> Great diving, Great food, lots to drink.
> >>
> >> Anyone disagree?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mark
> >
> >Would Belize be a better winter option? Still liking the Agressor idea
> >but, after being soaked by the winter weather realities, I am open to
> >other possibilities for the same time frame.
> >
> >Thanks again to everyone.
> >
> >mark

07 Sep 2007 08:09:00
Mark
Re: Topic Change: Belize?

chilly wrote:
> "Mark" <_vbace_x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Mark wrote:
>>
>>>Hey,
>>>thinking of a dive vacation in Jan/Feb 08 and this seemed like a best of
>>>all worlds kind of thing.
>>>Great diving, Great food, lots to drink.
>>>
>>>Anyone disagree?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Mark
>>
>>Would Belize be a better winter option? Still liking the Agressor idea
>>but, after being soaked by the winter weather realities, I am open to
>>other possibilities for the same time frame.
>>
>>Thanks again to everyone.
>

> There's winter weather realities in Belize too. That said, I think Jan/Feb
> could find some good weather. It can also find some northers but generally,
> not a bad time of year to go.
>
> Are you talking liveaboard or on land? If on land, where abouts in Belize
> were you thinking?

Hey Chilly,

The original plan was to stick with the Agressor fleet and do a
liveaboard. But that was mostly just carryover from the Cayman idea.
Don't really have any knowledge of Belize on which to base an either/or
decision.
:-)

07 Sep 2007 18:32:51

> chilly wrote:
>> Hey Chilly,
>
> The original plan was to stick with the Agressor fleet and do a
> liveaboard. But that was mostly just carryover from the Cayman idea.
> Don't really have any knowledge of Belize on which to base an either/or
> decision.
> :-)

Hope you enjoy the liveaboard then! :^) It does the Atolls and there's some
pretty nice diving out there for sure.

28 Sep 2007 08:23:29
Mark
Re: Topic Change: Belize?

Mark wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>> thinking of a dive vacation in Jan/Feb 08 and this seemed like a best
>> of all worlds kind of thing.
>> Great diving, Great food, lots to drink.
>>
>> Anyone disagree?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>

> Would Belize be a better winter option? Still liking the Agressor idea
> but, after being soaked by the winter weather realities, I am open to
> other possibilities for the same time frame.
>
> Thanks again to everyone.
>
> mark
Any inside scoop on how Belize has weathered, LOL, the recent weather?

Thanks,
Mark

29 Sep 2007 03:15:16

> Any inside scoop on how Belize has weathered, LOL, the recent weather?

It's all good except for the Corozal area. People don't go anywhere near
there to dive. The rest of the country made it through Dean virtually
unscathed.

Felix missed them.

29 Sep 2007 00:15:46
Mark
Re: Topic Change: Belize?

chilly wrote:
> "Mark" <_vbace_x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>Any inside scoop on how Belize has weathered, LOL, the recent weather?
>

> It's all good except for the Corozal area. People don't go anywhere near
> there to dive. The rest of the country made it through Dean virtually
> unscathed.
>
> Felix missed them.

W00t!! Great news. Sounds like time to make some reservations and get
my gear checked out and ready to go!

Thanks,
Mark