30 Jan 2006 12:09:00
mads nielsen
valves

PLEASE!

Can anybody help me with info on shallow-water valves? If there is such
a thing?!!... Or where to find an valve expert!

best regards from London!

The student



30 Jan 2006 12:43:59
Ray
Re: valves

mads nielsen wrote:
> PLEASE!
>
> Can anybody help me with info on shallow-water valves? If there is such
> a thing?!!... Or where to find an valve expert!
>
> best regards from London!
>
> The student
>

You are going to have to tell us what it is you want to do or what it is
for and then we can tell you how to do it ... maybe.

--

Ray Contreras
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Webmonkey for:
http://www.ossystems.com
http://www.bobs-garage.com
http://www.clanwolverine.org
http://www.rayzplace.com


30 Jan 2006 15:27:01
ben bradlee
Re: valves


"Ray" <ray@rayzplace.com > wrote in message
news:R7GdnXSsMIIU50PenZ2dnUVZ_smdnZ2d@wavecable.com...
> mads nielsen wrote:
>> PLEASE!
>>
>> Can anybody help me with info on shallow-water valves? If there is such
>> a thing?!!... Or where to find an valve expert!
>>
>> best regards from London!
>>
>> The student
>>
>
> You are going to have to tell us what it is you want to do or what it is
> for and then we can tell you how to do it ... maybe.

I thought it was pretty clear. He wants a valve expert, particularly a
shallow-water valve expert. Ever heard of a shallow-water valve? I
haven't. I don't know if the guy wants anything to do with scuba - it
doesn't appear he's talking scuba.




30 Jan 2006 15:59:25
GWB
Re: valves

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:27:01 -0600, "ben bradlee" <NoWay@Way.Bite.Me >
wrote:

>Ever heard of a shallow-water valve?

I heard of shallow-water bi-valves.
Mmmmmm.


31 Jan 2006 06:11:53
mads nielsen
Re: valves

sorry...what I meant was ... I have had some problems with the exhaust
valve on vikings dry suits (both apeks & sitech). The let in water most
of the time. I am working in contaminated waters in a harbour in
Greece, and everything works fine, except the exhaust valves take in
water. I guess it is because of the shallow depth?

SO... what I wanted to know was if anybody knows a way to solve this?
Is it a malfunction in the valve? Or is it because of the lack of
presure? Is it because I move too much and trigger it myself?

Are there any valves (exhaust valves) made specifically for shallow
water diving?

The student



31 Jan 2006 11:11:24
Ray
Re: valves

mads nielsen wrote:
> sorry...what I meant was ... I have had some problems with the exhaust
> valve on vikings dry suits (both apeks & sitech). The let in water most
> of the time. I am working in contaminated waters in a harbour in
> Greece, and everything works fine, except the exhaust valves take in
> water. I guess it is because of the shallow depth?
>
> SO... what I wanted to know was if anybody knows a way to solve this?
> Is it a malfunction in the valve? Or is it because of the lack of
> presure? Is it because I move too much and trigger it myself?
>
> Are there any valves (exhaust valves) made specifically for shallow
> water diving?
>
> The student
>

THAT'S BETTER!!

It is a malfunction in your valve. Since it happens in both of yours, I
suspect that you aren't cleaning them. Basically, an exhaust valve is
is a simple diaphragm like a regulator, snorkel or purge mask exhaust
valve. It works by having air on one side build up to a point where it
is higher pressure than the water on the other side. When that happens
... burp! Of course, on some valves there are springs and plate
"helpers" that adjust the amount of air required to open it, but that is
unimportant for this conversation.

If you are getting wet every dive from your valve leaking through the
diaphragm, then something is holding it open. That can be silt, dirt,
salt buildup, undergarment fuzz or just about ANY kind of other trash
you can imagine.

Since your valve is easily removed from the suit, try running warm (not
hot) water through from the inside out. Hopefully that will flush any
junk from the sealing area.

And, yes, there is a special valve for diving in polluted waters, but it
consists of twin diaphragms and will give you the same grief if you
don't take care of it.

Just my $.02
--

Ray Contreras
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Webmonkey for:
http://www.ossystems.com
http://www.bobs-garage.com
http://www.clanwolverine.org
http://www.rayzplace.com


01 Feb 2006 01:36:16
gs
Re: valves

>On 31 Jan 2006 06:11:53 -0800, "mads nielsen" <moellernr1@gmail.com> wrote:

>sorry...what I meant was ... I have had some problems with the exhaust
>valve on vikings dry suits (both apeks & sitech). The let in water most
>of the time. I am working in contaminated waters in a harbour in
>Greece, and everything works fine, except the exhaust valves take in
>water. I guess it is because of the shallow depth?
>
>SO... what I wanted to know was if anybody knows a way to solve this?
>Is it a malfunction in the valve? Or is it because of the lack of
>presure? Is it because I move too much and trigger it myself?
>
>Are there any valves (exhaust valves) made specifically for shallow
>water diving?

if you are concerned about water infiltration you might consider
researching if an upgrade of your exhaust valve to a Viking X2 double
check valve and / or an undersuit to isolate from contaminated water
which might make it in will work for you.

Any time you exhaust air you risk water infiltrating, and in extreme
environments you might consider weighting for your depth and air
encapsulation for comfort and dialing the valve shut . Of course it
means you need to control buoyancy external to your drysuit,

A double check valve will minimize the risk of water infiltration but
can not guarantee it will not prevent it 100% from micro particles..

A double check valve and hazmat undersuit might be the best
protection, along with post-dive decon of the suit interior and
undersuit.

- Ed
--
Lake Champlain chart 14785 no fee d/l
http://www.Charts-USA.com


01 Feb 2006 08:01:31
Grumman-581
Re: valves

"mads nielsen" <moellernr1@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1138716713.221038.177300@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> sorry...what I meant was ... I have had some problems with the exhaust
> valve on vikings dry suits (both apeks & sitech). The let in water most
> of the time. I am working in contaminated waters in a harbour in
> Greece, and everything works fine, except the exhaust valves take in
> water. I guess it is because of the shallow depth?

Just curious, but what is the contamination?




01 Feb 2006 03:58:24
mads nielsen
Re: valves

thanks a lot to all ! We actually clean everything very well (or so I
thought) after every dive, with Betadine and water. But I will give it
a go with some extra cleaning from the inside to see if that helps.
Otherwise I might have to get a couple of those double check valves...?

About the contamination. Well, the harbour is still in use and as many
places in Greece, you have the sewage coming out into the harbour. Of
course you have all the fishermen as well, and the big Kantharos just
next door with the oils and heavy metals. The harbour really smells bad
sometimes when they have a flood in the sewage and raw sewage is let
out into the harbour, and you literally swim in pure shit some times. I
am gratefull for my AGA mask in such situations! If you are interested
to know more about the contamination I can give you some references to
articles about Piraeus and the pollution in its harbours. Also, if you
want to see what I am doing, you can check out
www.zeaharbourproject.dk
I am actually an archaeologist working at an archaeological site under
water in Greece, Piraeus. Its the Ancient harbour of the great Athenian
Democracy. But you can read more about that on the homepage!

Again, thanks to all!

The student



01 Feb 2006 09:25:35
Lee Bell
Re: valves


"mads nielsen" <moellernr1@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1138795104.904254.241540@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Also, if you want to see what I am doing, you can check out
> www.zeaharbourproject.dk
> I am actually an archaeologist working at an archaeological site under
> water in Greece, Piraeus. Its the Ancient harbour of the great Athenian
> Democracy. But you can read more about that on the homepage!
> Again, thanks to all!
> The student

Fascenating information. Thanks for shring.

Lee




01 Feb 2006 13:20:42
Lee Bell
Re: valves

Wow, was my spellchecker ever sleeping on this one.

Lee

--
_________________

Lee's Rule
In any heated discussion, he or she who first resorts to name calling has
run out of meaningful dialog and may be presumed to have lost the point.
"Lee Bell" <pleebell@bellsouth.net > wrote in message
news:Xu3Ef.9246$fZ2.5538@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>
> "mads nielsen" <moellernr1@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1138795104.904254.241540@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> Also, if you want to see what I am doing, you can check out
>> www.zeaharbourproject.dk
>> I am actually an archaeologist working at an archaeological site under
>> water in Greece, Piraeus. Its the Ancient harbour of the great Athenian
>> Democracy. But you can read more about that on the homepage!
>> Again, thanks to all!
>> The student
>
> Fascenating information. Thanks for shring.
>
> Lee
>