12 May 2005 13:36:03
P.R.
Wanted:: Aeris Atmos Pro IR download

Anyone have an IR download docking station for the Aeris Atmos Pro
they are willing to part with?

Mine is getting beat up and would like to get a new one just in case.

16 May 2005 07:46:32
John Cassara
Re: Wanted:: Aeris Atmos Pro IR download

I just picked one up but the software will not run on Win XP. What version
of windows do you use?
John

"P.R." <plr196@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> Anyone have an IR download docking station for the Aeris Atmos Pro they
> are willing to part with?
>
> Mine is getting beat up and would like to get a new one just in case.

16 May 2005 10:33:33
P.R.
Re: Wanted:: Aeris Atmos Pro IR download

I have 95, NT, 2000 and XP.
What I really want a new one for is to reverse engineer the protocol
and build an app to download dives to my palm pilot. In the process
I would probably also write an app for Windows 2000 and XP. I dont
have a working docking station or the software right now.

Any of the apps I would generate would be free to anyone. Are you
using yours right now?

John Cassara wrote:
> I just picked one up but the software will not run on Win XP. What version
> of windows do you use?
> John
>
> "P.R." <plr196@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Anyone have an IR download docking station for the Aeris Atmos Pro they
>>are willing to part with?
>>
>>Mine is getting beat up and would like to get a new one just in case.

16 May 2005 13:14:38
John Cassara
Re: Wanted:: Aeris Atmos Pro IR download

I'm not using it due to the XP problem. I called Aeris about new software
and they informed me that due to programming differences made by Microsoft
in the XP kernel the IR unit and software are incompatible. It will only
work with Win 95 & 98. I had tried the XP compatibility wizard in both 95
and 98 configurations but still no good. I believe it has to due with the
parallel port communications configuration but I'm guessing. The newer
computers use USB or serial ports.

>I have 95, NT, 2000 and XP.
> What I really want a new one for is to reverse engineer the protocol
> and build an app to download dives to my palm pilot. In the process
> I would probably also write an app for Windows 2000 and XP. I dont have a
> working docking station or the software right now.
>
> Any of the apps I would generate would be free to anyone. Are you using
> yours right now?
>
> John Cassara wrote:
>> I just picked one up but the software will not run on Win XP. What
>> version
>> of windows do you use?
>> John
>>
>> "P.R." <plr196@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Anyone have an IR download docking station for the Aeris Atmos Pro they
>>>are willing to part with?
>>>
>>>Mine is getting beat up and would like to get a new one just in case.

16 May 2005 12:23:33
P.R.
Re: Wanted:: Aeris Atmos Pro IR download

John,

I sent you a message off-line...
did you receive it?

Pat

John Cassara wrote:

> I'm not using it due to the XP problem. I called Aeris about new software
> and they informed me that due to programming differences made by Microsoft
> in the XP kernel the IR unit and software are incompatible. It will only
> work with Win 95 & 98. I had tried the XP compatibility wizard in both 95
> and 98 configurations but still no good. I believe it has to due with the
> parallel port communications configuration but I'm guessing. The newer
> computers use USB or serial ports.
>
> John
>
> "P.R." <plr196@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have 95, NT, 2000 and XP.
>>What I really want a new one for is to reverse engineer the protocol
>>and build an app to download dives to my palm pilot. In the process
>>I would probably also write an app for Windows 2000 and XP. I dont have a
>>working docking station or the software right now.
>>
>>Any of the apps I would generate would be free to anyone. Are you using
>>yours right now?
>>
>>John Cassara wrote:
>>
>>>I just picked one up but the software will not run on Win XP. What
>>>version
>>>of windows do you use?
>>>John
>>>
>>>"P.R." <plr196@hotmail.com> wrote in message

16 May 2005 19:22:35
Gary Owens
Re: Wanted:: Aeris Atmos Pro IR download

I keep an old 98 computer to download my wife's and my dive computers, that
way I can get a few years more out of them. Its not the new computers, its
XP. With XP being built on the NT/2000 kernel it does not allow software to
control the hardware. The Aeris unit will work with 95 & 98 and also DOS,
but not XP, NT or 2000. Neither Aeris nor Oceanic, nor the OEM will release
the infrared protocol, but they won't rewrite the software. They want you to
buy a new dive computer. I will, but it won't be an Aeris ...
gary

> John,
>
> I sent you a message off-line...
> did you receive it?
>
> Pat
>
> John Cassara wrote:
>
>> I'm not using it due to the XP problem. I called Aeris about new software
>> and they informed me that due to programming differences made by
>> Microsoft in the XP kernel the IR unit and software are incompatible. It
>> will only work with Win 95 & 98. I had tried the XP compatibility wizard
>> in both 95 and 98 configurations but still no good. I believe it has to
>> due with the parallel port communications configuration but I'm guessing.
>> The newer computers use USB or serial ports.
>>
>> John
>>
>> "P.R." <plr196@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have 95, NT, 2000 and XP.
>>>What I really want a new one for is to reverse engineer the protocol
>>>and build an app to download dives to my palm pilot. In the process
>>>I would probably also write an app for Windows 2000 and XP. I dont have a
>>>working docking station or the software right now.
>>>
>>>Any of the apps I would generate would be free to anyone. Are you using
>>>yours right now?

16 May 2005 14:02:53
P.R.
Re: Wanted:: Aeris Atmos Pro IR download

I am going to decode the protocol and write an app to link to the
Palm. In the process I will also write an app to download into XP and
NT/2000. It isnt really very complex, but will be a bit time
consuming. If you are interested in trying it when I am done. Let me
know.

Gary, I tried to send you a message off line. Did you ever get it?

Pat

Gary Owens wrote:
> I keep an old 98 computer to download my wife's and my dive computers, that
> way I can get a few years more out of them. Its not the new computers, its
> XP. With XP being built on the NT/2000 kernel it does not allow software to
> control the hardware. The Aeris unit will work with 95 & 98 and also DOS,
> but not XP, NT or 2000. Neither Aeris nor Oceanic, nor the OEM will release
> the infrared protocol, but they won't rewrite the software. They want you to
> buy a new dive computer. I will, but it won't be an Aeris ...
> gary
>
> "P.R." <plr196@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>John,
>>
>>I sent you a message off-line...
>>did you receive it?
>>
>>Pat
>>
>>John Cassara wrote:
>>

>>>I'm not using it due to the XP problem. I called Aeris about new software
>>>and they informed me that due to programming differences made by
>>>Microsoft in the XP kernel the IR unit and software are incompatible. It
>>>will only work with Win 95 & 98. I had tried the XP compatibility wizard
>>>in both 95 and 98 configurations but still no good. I believe it has to
>>>due with the parallel port communications configuration but I'm guessing.
>>>The newer computers use USB or serial ports.
>>>
>>>John
>>>
>>>"P.R." <plr196@hotmail.com> wrote in message

16 May 2005 23:17:45
Dillon Pyron
Re: Wanted:: Aeris Atmos Pro IR download

Thus spake "John Cassara" <jcassara@optonline.net > :

>I'm not using it due to the XP problem. I called Aeris about new software
>and they informed me that due to programming differences made by Microsoft
>in the XP kernel the IR unit and software are incompatible. It will only
>work with Win 95 & 98. I had tried the XP compatibility wizard in both 95
>and 98 configurations but still no good. I believe it has to due with the
>parallel port communications configuration but I'm guessing. The newer
>computers use USB or serial ports.

Since M$ has dropped support for 2000 now, it seems that Aeris should
get on the stick and rewrite the damned thing. I won't even have a
parallel port on my new machine.

--
dillon

Women should be obscene and not absurd.

18 May 2005 23:45:18
jemenake

P.R. Wrote:
> I am going to decode the protocol and write an app to link to the
> Palm. In the process I will also write an app to download into XP and
> NT/2000. It isnt really very complex, but will be a bit time
> consuming. If you are interested in trying it when I am done. Let me
> know.
> [/color]
I was planning the same thing (either for the Pilot or for Linux or
something). My fear is that the Atmos doesn't even use the irda
standard, which could make it very dicey to try to write drivers for
it.

A couple of years ago, when I got my Atmos, I actually tried using my
Linux laptop to dump the raw IR data from it to the laptop screen as I
tried a dump from the Atmos... but I didn't see anything on the laptop
screen. So, I suspected that the Atmos was dumping its data in a way
that the lower-level Linux drivers interpreted as IR garbage. I was
fairly certain that the Atmos was dumping *something*, since I could
look at the unit through my camcorder in "nightshot mode" (which
detects IR), and I could see the little IR LED flickering. (I *pray*
that we won't have to resort to something insane like recording a dump
on the camcorder and then watching the flashes in slow-mo to decipher
the protocol.... ugh!).

At any rate, you/I/we should probably turn this into a sourceforge
project, which could eventually encompass a PalmPilot version, a Linux
version, and maybe even some kind hardware engineer could make a
schematic for a special USB downloader unit so that Windows 2K/XP would
work with it.

E-mail me... we should discuss this some more.

- Joe

--
jemenake

19 May 2005 01:20:56
P.R.
Re: Wanted:: Aeris Atmos Pro IR download

I am a hardware engineer - and tons of embedded code - and have done
alot of IR comm stuff.

The Aeris isnt IRDA, I dont have the factory Link hardware or the
software, but the hardware is simple. I built one this afternoon.

Decoding the protocol shouldnt be too bad, but I need to find some
one to sell me their software (preferably the software and the link
hardware, but mostly the software)

Writing some code to work with XP or 2000 will only take a few hours
once the protocol is defined. Connecting usably to a palm will take
a bit longer, but shouldnt be that big of a deal.

For XP, USB isnt necessary, but could be implemented easily by using
a USB to serial dongle. I dont think it is worth writing a USB interface
for such simple serial data. Serial port data manipulation on XP or 2000
isnt hard, just different from 95 etc.

Do you use your Link currently? Drop me an email.

jemenake wrote:
> P.R. Wrote:
>
>>I am going to decode the protocol and write an app to link to the
>>Palm. In the process I will also write an app to download into XP and
>>NT/2000. It isnt really very complex, but will be a bit time
>>consuming. If you are interested in trying it when I am done. Let me
>>know.
>>[/color]
>
> I was planning the same thing (either for the Pilot or for Linux or
> something). My fear is that the Atmos doesn't even use the irda
> standard, which could make it very dicey to try to write drivers for
> it.
>
> A couple of years ago, when I got my Atmos, I actually tried using my
> Linux laptop to dump the raw IR data from it to the laptop screen as I
> tried a dump from the Atmos... but I didn't see anything on the laptop
> screen. So, I suspected that the Atmos was dumping its data in a way
> that the lower-level Linux drivers interpreted as IR garbage. I was
> fairly certain that the Atmos was dumping *something*, since I could
> look at the unit through my camcorder in "nightshot mode" (which
> detects IR), and I could see the little IR LED flickering. (I *pray*
> that we won't have to resort to something insane like recording a dump
> on the camcorder and then watching the flashes in slow-mo to decipher
> the protocol.... ugh!).
>
> At any rate, you/I/we should probably turn this into a sourceforge
> project, which could eventually encompass a PalmPilot version, a Linux
> version, and maybe even some kind hardware engineer could make a
> schematic for a special USB downloader unit so that Windows 2K/XP would
> work with it.
>
> E-mail me... we should discuss this some more.
>
> - Joe

19 May 2005 11:05:53
jemenake

P.R. Wrote:
> I am a hardware engineer - and tons of embedded code - and have done
> alot of IR comm stuff.

Okay, then. You're officially out of my league. :)
P.R. Wrote:
> Decoding the protocol shouldnt be too bad, but I need to find some
> one to sell me their software (preferably the software and the link
> hardware, but mostly the software)

I'm very interested in hearing how you go about this. I don't have the
hardware/software because I run WinXP and linux. Are you going to write
a shim-driver that lets you see all of the traffic to and fro on the
serial line? Or do you have some neat piece of hardware to do that?

- Joe

--
jemenake

19 May 2005 09:53:50
P.R.
Re: Wanted:: Aeris Atmos Pro IR download

Joe,
Send me an email off line, that will be much easier.
rileyengineering(at)gmail.com

jemenake wrote:
> P.R. Wrote:
>
>>I am a hardware engineer - and tons of embedded code - and have done
>>alot of IR comm stuff.
>>

> Okay, then. You're officially out of my league. :)
> P.R. Wrote:
>
>>Decoding the protocol shouldnt be too bad, but I need to find some
>>one to sell me their software (preferably the software and the link
>>hardware, but mostly the software)
>>

> I'm very interested in hearing how you go about this. I don't have the
> hardware/software because I run WinXP and linux. Are you going to write
> a shim-driver that lets you see all of the traffic to and fro on the
> serial line? Or do you have some neat piece of hardware to do that?
>
> - Joe

19 May 2005 19:47:04
David Gintz
Re: Wanted:: Aeris Atmos Pro IR download

I've got the Aeris 300G which used the same downloader and was informed by
Aeris that they were not revising it at all. I think we're just out of luck
on this. I probably won't buy another Aeris computer because of the lack of
support. (I ran into this problem three years ago.)

- Dave

27 May 2005 20:15:49
HG
Re: Wanted:: Aeris Atmos Pro IR download

You can work around the XP problem by buying a cheap WIN98 computer at
ebay. I purchased one for about $25.00 a year ago and works perfectly.

Harry.