21 Aug 2005 08:28:05
Scuba locations in the Northeast U.S.A.

I live in Central New Jersey. I have YMCA Open Water Certification and
wanted to check out some places off of New Jersey, Maryland or
Virginia.

Can someone recommend some good locations and dive shops there?

--
Please post and reply to sytech@yahoo.com

21 Aug 2005 10:10:31
Barry
Re: Scuba locations in the Northeast U.S.A.

Since you live in New Jersey, I would start with the New Jersey Scube
web site:

http://www.njscuba.com/
Diversion II / NJScuba.com

sytech@yahoo.com wrote:

> I live in Central New Jersey. I have YMCA Open Water Certification and
> wanted to check out some places off of New Jersey, Maryland or
> Virginia.
>
> Can someone recommend some good locations and dive shops there?

21 Aug 2005 12:31:27
Douglas W. Popeye Frederick

<sytech@yahoo.com > wrote in message

> I live in Central New Jersey. I have YMCA Open Water Certification and
> wanted to check out some places off of New Jersey, Maryland or
> Virginia.
>
> Can someone recommend some good locations and dive shops there?
>
> --
> Please post and reply to sytech@yahoo.com

1) Nitespark will be along, he lives south of you and knows the area.

2) There's world class wreck diving off NJ and NY, Google a quarry called
Dutch Springs for inland.

3) Stop what you're doing this instant, and go buy the book "Shadow
Divers". It's about your area, the best book about diving I ever read. Even
the credits are interesting.

4) There's particularly good diving off VA Beach.

21 Aug 2005 12:57:43
nitespark

Douglas W. "Popeye" Frederick wrote:
> <sytech@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>I live in Central New Jersey. I have YMCA Open Water Certification and
>>wanted to check out some places off of New Jersey, Maryland or
>>Virginia.
>>
>>Can someone recommend some good locations and dive shops there?
>>
>>--
>>Please post and reply to sytech@yahoo.com
>

> 1) Nitespark will be along, he lives south of you and knows the area.
>
> 2) There's world class wreck diving off NJ and NY, Google a quarry called
> Dutch Springs for inland.
>
> 3) Stop what you're doing this instant, and go buy the book "Shadow
> Divers". It's about your area, the best book about diving I ever read. Even
> the credits are interesting.
>
> 4) There's particularly good diving off VA Beach.

Popeye...I am gonna throw a flag on #4.

I am not saying the diving off Va. Beach is "bad" but I certainly
wouldn't classify it as "particularly good". Given a choice between
Morehead City/Beaufort, NC and Va. Beach, I would go with NC everytime.

I have dove Va. Beach and it is OK. The viz is usually much better in
NC. The marine life off the coast of NC is much better and I think the
dive sites are better and more interesting.

Not to say I won't dive Va. Beach. In fact I am looking at heading
there to dive in the middle of September (conditions permitting). I
still subscribe to the philosophy "A bad day diving beats a good day at
work".

Just did a week on the Nekton Pilot on the NW Bahamas itinerary so now I
am spoiled to nice warm clear water. :(

Just my $.02 worth.

21 Aug 2005 13:11:40
Douglas W. Popeye Frederick

"nitespark" <nitespark@cox.net > wrote in message

> Douglas W. "Popeye" Frederick wrote:
>> <sytech@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>I live in Central New Jersey. I have YMCA Open Water Certification and
>>>wanted to check out some places off of New Jersey, Maryland or
>>>Virginia.
>>>
>>>Can someone recommend some good locations and dive shops there?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Please post and reply to sytech@yahoo.com
>>

>> 1) Nitespark will be along, he lives south of you and knows the area.
>>
>> 2) There's world class wreck diving off NJ and NY, Google a quarry
>> called Dutch Springs for inland.
>>
>> 3) Stop what you're doing this instant, and go buy the book "Shadow
>> Divers". It's about your area, the best book about diving I ever read.
>> Even the credits are interesting.
>>
>> 4) There's particularly good diving off VA Beach.
>
> Popeye...I am gonna throw a flag on #4.
>
> I am not saying the diving off Va. Beach is "bad" but I certainly wouldn't
> classify it as "particularly good". Given a choice between Morehead
> City/Beaufort, NC and Va. Beach, I would go with NC everytime.
>
> I have dove Va. Beach and it is OK. The viz is usually much better in NC.
> The marine life off the coast of NC is much better and I think the dive
> sites are better and more interesting.
>
> Not to say I won't dive Va. Beach. In fact I am looking at heading there
> to dive in the middle of September (conditions permitting). I still
> subscribe to the philosophy "A bad day diving beats a good day at work".
>
> Just did a week on the Nekton Pilot on the NW Bahamas itinerary so now I
> am spoiled to nice warm clear water. :(
>
> Just my $.02 worth.

I wouldn't disagree a bit. I like low viz wrecks. :-)

I'm not much of a flora and fauna guy...

I just figured that VA B was a bit closer than Morehead City.

21 Aug 2005 13:55:08
nitespark
Re: Scuba locations in the Northeast U.S.A.

Douglas W. "Popeye" Frederick wrote:
> "nitespark" <nitespark@cox.net> wrote in message
>

>>Douglas W. "Popeye" Frederick wrote:
>>
>>><sytech@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> 1) Nitespark will be along, he lives south of you and knows the area.
>>>
>>> 2) There's world class wreck diving off NJ and NY, Google a quarry
>>>called Dutch Springs for inland.
>>>
>>> 3) Stop what you're doing this instant, and go buy the book "Shadow
>>>Divers". It's about your area, the best book about diving I ever read.
>>>Even the credits are interesting.
>>>
>>> 4) There's particularly good diving off VA Beach.
>>
>>Popeye...I am gonna throw a flag on #4.
>>
>>I am not saying the diving off Va. Beach is "bad" but I certainly wouldn't
>>classify it as "particularly good". Given a choice between Morehead
>>City/Beaufort, NC and Va. Beach, I would go with NC everytime.
>>
>>I have dove Va. Beach and it is OK. The viz is usually much better in NC.
>>The marine life off the coast of NC is much better and I think the dive
>>sites are better and more interesting.
>>
>>Not to say I won't dive Va. Beach. In fact I am looking at heading there
>>to dive in the middle of September (conditions permitting). I still
>>subscribe to the philosophy "A bad day diving beats a good day at work".
>>
>>Just did a week on the Nekton Pilot on the NW Bahamas itinerary so now I
>>am spoiled to nice warm clear water. :(
>>
>>Just my $.02 worth.
>

> I wouldn't disagree a bit. I like low viz wrecks. :-)
>
> I'm not much of a flora and fauna guy...
>
> I just figured that VA B was a bit closer than Morehead City.

Well if you like low viz wrecks, then Va. Beach is a good place. Last
year I was diving the Brass Spike. First dive was about 15ft viz.
Second dive was about 5ft. The seas were picking up after the second
dive and it was a rough ride back to the dock. I heard on the NOAA wx
radio that night, some locations were reporting 18ft seas.

You are quite correct about Va Beach being closer, probably 3 hrs or so
closer to the diver from the NJ or NY area.

NC like Va. Beach, has nothing to offer as far as reefs are concerned,
but last month, I was diving the wreck, "Carribsea", off NC and there
were Sand Tiger sharks everywhere. Managed to get several good pictures.

Andy

21 Aug 2005 14:18:43
Douglas W. Popeye Frederick

> Well if you like low viz wrecks, then Va. Beach is a good place. Last
> year I was diving the Brass Spike. First dive was about 15ft viz. Second
> dive was about 5ft. The seas were picking up after the second dive and it
> was a rough ride back to the dock. I heard on the NOAA wx radio that
> night, some locations were reporting 18ft seas.
>
> You are quite correct about Va Beach being closer, probably 3 hrs or so
> closer to the diver from the NJ or NY area.
>
> NC like Va. Beach, has nothing to offer as far as reefs are concerned, but
> last month, I was diving the wreck, "Carribsea", off NC and there were
> Sand Tiger sharks everywhere. Managed to get several good pictures.
>
> Andy

We need to hook up.

I've done did the Carib Sea.

I'm about 10 hrs from Morehead City when I'm home.

21 Aug 2005 14:53:43
nitespark
Re: Scuba locations in the Northeast U.S.A.

Douglas W. "Popeye" Frederick wrote:
> "nitespark" <nitespark@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>>Well if you like low viz wrecks, then Va. Beach is a good place. Last
>>year I was diving the Brass Spike. First dive was about 15ft viz. Second
>>dive was about 5ft. The seas were picking up after the second dive and it
>>was a rough ride back to the dock. I heard on the NOAA wx radio that
>>night, some locations were reporting 18ft seas.
>>
>>You are quite correct about Va Beach being closer, probably 3 hrs or so
>>closer to the diver from the NJ or NY area.
>>
>>NC like Va. Beach, has nothing to offer as far as reefs are concerned, but
>>last month, I was diving the wreck, "Carribsea", off NC and there were
>>Sand Tiger sharks everywhere. Managed to get several good pictures.
>>
>>Andy
>

> We need to hook up.
>
> I've done did the Carib Sea.
>
> I'm about 10 hrs from Morehead City when I'm home.

Works for me. I had not dove the Caribsea prior to this year. Same
day, we dove the Spar. The Spar was interesting in that it was in real
good shape. Lots of swim throughs and hidey holes. Only thing about
the Spar, there were sea urchins EVERYWHERE. On the deck, on the
walls, on the ceiling, on the railings. I have never seen that many sea
urchins in one place before. Real good incentive to maintain good buoyancy.

Morehead is about 6 hrs for me.

21 Aug 2005 11:59:22
Scott
Re: Scuba locations in the Northeast U.S.A.

"nitespark" <nitespark@cox.net > wrote in message

Check your mail too.

21 Aug 2005 15:27:13
nitespark

Scott wrote:
> "nitespark" <nitespark@cox.net> wrote in message
>
> Check your mail too.

Got it!!

Stupid people are job security.

H Huntzinger

Barry <bklein5@netscape.net > wrote:

> Since you live in New Jersey, I would start with the New Jersey Scuba
> web site:
>
> http://www.njscuba.com/

The NJ original, started by Tracey Wagner

Two other good websites for NJ dive info are:

http://www.njscuba.net/

http://www.njdive.com/

-hh

22 Aug 2005 05:53:23
Alan Street
Re: Scuba locations in the Northeast U.S.A.

In article <11ghdemcns4kl32@news.supernews.com >, Douglas W. "Popeye"
Frederick <Buzcutt454@aol.com > wrote:

"nitespark" <nitespark@cox.net > wrote in message

> Just my $.02 worth.

I wouldn't disagree a bit. I like low viz wrecks. :-)

Then you're going to love the Yukon when you manage to get down here.

22 Aug 2005 17:29:21
Douglas W. Popeye Frederick

"Alan Street" <agstreet@nonono_san.rr.com > wrote in message
> In article <11ghdemcns4kl32@news.supernews.com>, Douglas W. "Popeye"
> Frederick <Buzcutt454@aol.com> wrote:
>
> ? "nitespark" <nitespark@cox.net> wrote in message
> ? news:Yn2Oe.5259$5U2.2187@lakeread07...
>
> ? >
> ? > Just my $.02 worth.
> ?
> ? I wouldn't disagree a bit. I like low viz wrecks. :-)
> ?
>
> Then you're going to love the Yukon when you manage to get down here.

Highly looking forward to it.

29 Aug 2005 22:07:31
Eddie G
Re: Scuba locations in the Northeast U.S.A.

> 2) There's world class wreck diving off NJ and NY, Google a quarry called
> Dutch Springs for inland.

I live just outside of Philly and did my training dives at Dutch Springs,
but think Bainbridge (near Reading PA) is a little nicer (but not as
deep...I put my depth gauge in the soot and it was a foot shallower than the
map said at Bainbridge).

30 Aug 2005 03:39:36
nj_diver
Re: Scuba locations in the Northeast U.S.A.

NJ Scuba Divers Message Board: http://members3.boardhost.com/Modiver/