17 Aug 2005 12:26:26
Scuba diving off North Carolina

I have YMCA Open Water Certification and wanted to check out some
places off of North Carolina. Can someone recommend some good
locations and dive shops there?

Thanks,

Sy
New Jersey

--
Please post and reply to sytech@yahoo.com

17 Aug 2005 15:31:11
nitespark
Re: Scuba diving off North Carolina

sytech@yahoo.com wrote:

> I have YMCA Open Water Certification and wanted to check out some
> places off of North Carolina. Can someone recommend some good
> locations and dive shops there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sy
> New Jersey

I highly recommend http://discoverydiving.com/

also recommend http://olympusdiving.com/

I have been out with both.

Discovery Diving from what I have been told is more likely to abort the
trip if sea conditions are bad. Olympus will go almost regardless.

Be prepared for a 2-3hr boat ride. You need to bring your own meal,
beverages, etc.

18 Aug 2005 06:49:49
Al Wells

sytech@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have YMCA Open Water Certification and wanted to check out some
> places off of North Carolina. Can someone recommend some good
> locations and dive shops there?

If you start from Hatteras, you can reduce some of the boat rides.

http://www.outerbanksdiving.com/

20 Aug 2005 11:33:09
Douglas W. Popeye Frederick

"nitespark" <nitespark@cox.net > wrote in message

> sytech@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> I have YMCA Open Water Certification and wanted to check out some
>> places off of North Carolina. Can someone recommend some good
>> locations and dive shops there?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sy
>> New Jersey
>>

> I highly recommend http://discoverydiving.com/
>
> also recommend http://olympusdiving.com/
>
> I have been out with both.
>
> Discovery Diving from what I have been told is more likely to abort the
> trip if sea conditions are bad. Olympus will go almost regardless.
>
> Be prepared for a 2-3hr boat ride. You need to bring your own meal,
> beverages, etc.

I love both these ops.

20 Aug 2005 11:34:46
Douglas W. Popeye Frederick

"Al Wells" <al.wells@gmail.com > wrote in message

> sytech@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I have YMCA Open Water Certification and wanted to check out some
>> places off of North Carolina. Can someone recommend some good
>> locations and dive shops there?
>
> If you start from Hatteras, you can reduce some of the boat rides.
>
> http://www.outerbanksdiving.com/

But I love these guys best.

21 Aug 2005 03:10:34
jim frei

"Douglas W. "Popeye" Frederick" <Buzcutt454@aol.com > wrote in message

> "nitespark" <nitespark@cox.net> wrote in message
>>

>> sytech@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>> I have YMCA Open Water Certification and wanted to check out some
>>> places off of North Carolina. Can someone recommend some good
>>> locations and dive shops there?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Sy
>>> New Jersey
>>>

>> I highly recommend http://discoverydiving.com/
>>
>> also recommend http://olympusdiving.com/
>>
>> I have been out with both.
>>
>> Discovery Diving from what I have been told is more likely to abort the
>> trip if sea conditions are bad. Olympus will go almost regardless.

Olympus has bigger boats than Discovery.

21 Aug 2005 03:54:23
Douglas W. Popeye Frederick

"jim frei" <jdfrei@ZZearthlinkZZ.net > wrote in message
> "Douglas W. "Popeye" Frederick" <Buzcutt454@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "nitespark" <nitespark@cox.net> wrote in message

>>> I highly recommend http://discoverydiving.com/
>>>
>>> also recommend http://olympusdiving.com/
>>>
>>> I have been out with both.
>>>
>>> Discovery Diving from what I have been told is more likely to abort the
>>> trip if sea conditions are bad. Olympus will go almost regardless.
>
> Olympus has bigger boats than Discovery.

For some people that's a good thing.

For some, bad.

21 Aug 2005 07:42:30

jim frei wrote:

> "Douglas W. "Popeye" Frederick" <Buzcutt454@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>"nitespark" <nitespark@cox.net> wrote in message

>>>I highly recommend http://discoverydiving.com/
>>>
>>>also recommend http://olympusdiving.com/
>>>
>>>I have been out with both.
>>>
>>>Discovery Diving from what I have been told is more likely to abort the
>>>trip if sea conditions are bad. Olympus will go almost regardless.
>

> Olympus has bigger boats than Discovery.

The Olympus is 65ft. The Midnight Express is 48ft. Both of Discovery's
boats, the Seaquest II and the Outrageous V are 47 ft. Not a BIG
difference.

--
I have never met a liberal street cop.

10 Sep 2005 20:11:29
CyBrSuFr

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:26:26 -0400, <sytech@yahoo.com > wrote:

>I have YMCA Open Water Certification and wanted to check out some
>places off of North Carolina. Can someone recommend some good
>locations and dive shops there?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Sy
>New Jersey

I have been out several times with Discovery Diving on the Seaquest
II. Captain Jerry and First mate Justin are absolutly great. Have
never had a bad trip yet with them. Bring food and snacks as trhe
only thing provided is Water.

Cybrsufr

13 Sep 2005 23:51:59
Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-86

nitespark <nitespark@cox.net > writes:

> sytech@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > I have YMCA Open Water Certification and wanted to check out some
> > places off of North Carolina. Can someone recommend some good
> > locations and dive shops there?
> > Thanks,
> > Sy
> > New Jersey
> >

> I highly recommend http://discoverydiving.com/
>
> also recommend http://olympusdiving.com/

What's the best time of year to go there?
73, doug

13 Sep 2005 22:54:36
dazed and confuzzed

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
> nitespark <nitespark@cox.net> writes:
>

>>sytech@yahoo.com wrote:
>>

>>>I have YMCA Open Water Certification and wanted to check out some
>>>places off of North Carolina. Can someone recommend some good
>>>locations and dive shops there?
>>>Thanks,
>>>Sy
>>>New Jersey
>>>

>>I highly recommend http://discoverydiving.com/
>>
>>also recommend http://olympusdiving.com/
>>

> What's the best time of year to go there?
> 73, doug
tomorrow

--

What if the Hokey Pokey ISNíT what its all about???

14 Sep 2005 03:57:26
jim frei

"Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604" <faunt@panix.com > wrote in message
> nitespark <nitespark@cox.net> writes:
>
>> sytech@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>> > I have YMCA Open Water Certification and wanted to check out some
>> > places off of North Carolina. Can someone recommend some good
>> > locations and dive shops there?
>> > Thanks,
>> > Sy
>> > New Jersey
>> >

>> I highly recommend http://discoverydiving.com/
>>
>> also recommend http://olympusdiving.com/
>>

> What's the best time of year to go there?
> 73, doug

well, if you can get a charter, tomorrow might be real
interesting...otherwise anytime from late April thru late October is warm
enough that you won't need a dry suit.

14 Sep 2005 05:56:41
nitespark
Re: Scuba diving off North Carolina

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
> nitespark <nitespark@cox.net> writes:
>

>>sytech@yahoo.com wrote:
>>

>>>I have YMCA Open Water Certification and wanted to check out some
>>>places off of North Carolina. Can someone recommend some good
>>>locations and dive shops there?
>>>Thanks,
>>>Sy
>>>New Jersey
>>>

>>I highly recommend http://discoverydiving.com/
>>
>>also recommend http://olympusdiving.com/
>>

> What's the best time of year to go there?
> 73, doug

Well, definetly not NOW.

I have had the best luck in early to mid summer. I was there last July
and sea conditions and viz was GREAT. I have also been there in early
December and as long as you stay out in the Gulf Stream, conditions are
still pretty good.

73
Andy

--