08 Jan 2006 18:57:01
KEITH VAUGHN
Painting aluminum tanks

I think this may have been covered before, but any tips on repainting
aluminum tanks? I figure I'll do a quick sand with some fine grain
sandpaper, then spray paint the tank, making sure to completely cover the
valve. Anything anyone can add would be appreciated, such as type of paint.

08 Jan 2006 19:52:09
Jer
Re: Painting aluminum tanks

KEITH VAUGHN wrote:
> I think this may have been covered before, but any tips on repainting
> aluminum tanks? I figure I'll do a quick sand with some fine grain
> sandpaper, then spray paint the tank, making sure to completely cover the
> valve. Anything anyone can add would be appreciated, such as type of paint.

Any color of paint that doesn't chip when banged around. And they will
get banged around.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

08 Jan 2006 21:59:03
Chuck Tribolet
Re: Painting aluminum tanks

1. Don't cover the valve, take it out. You're going to need a new VIP anyway.

2. DON'T BAKE THE FINISH. You can get the aluminum hot enough to reduce its
strength. And expect the dive shop to be really hinky about your freshly painted tank.
IIRC, a dive shop employee died a few years ago because of this.