13 Aug 2006 20:45:01
Adam Helberg
Fuji F30

Anyone have any knowledge of the Fuji F30 or the Canon SD700 in underwater use?

Adam

14 Aug 2006 01:53:09
Osprey
Re: Fuji F30

Adam Helberg wrote:
> Anyone have any knowledge of the Fuji F30 or the Canon SD700 in underwater use?
>
> Adam

There is a FUjiFilm camera forum and also reviews on the F30 on:
www.dpreview.com/

also if you type Digital Camera Review F30 into Google it comes back
with 196,000 pages - so plenty for you to read.

14 Aug 2006 11:03:53
Tiny Tim
Re: Fuji F30

"Adam Helberg" <sendspamhere@yahee.com > wrote in message
> Anyone have any knowledge of the Fuji F30 or the Canon SD700 in underwater
> use?
>
> Adam
There are a couple of videos shot with the F30 on Google Video -
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=fuji+f30- playing back on my laptop
was not smooth but downloading the videos and playing on my PC gave pretty
good results.

There are several results also from Google Videos for the Canon Ixus 700 but
that is not the same camera as the SD700. The SD700 (IS) in the US is
equivalent to the Ixus 800 IS in the UK. I guess results should probably be
comparable - http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=canon+700+is.

My girlfriend has just ordered an Ixus 800 IS in the UK after having a
dabble with one in a shop. The camera has a specific underwater mode, as I
think the Fuji does as well, but AFAIK that basically adjusts colour balance
to throw in some more red and/or reduce the blue. You could achieve a
similar result just by using a cloudy white balance setting or setting up a
fake manual white balance while pointing at a blue subject. We did that to
good effect on her old Canon A70 for underwater stuff.

She's just bought the Ixus 800 IS to replace the A70, as that had a bit of
an accident above sea level so she now has a Canon A70 housing in perfect
condition for sale if anyone is interested.

14 Aug 2006 17:50:05
Adam Helberg
Re: Fuji F30

"Osprey" <rick_hughes@btconnect.com > wrote in message

> Adam Helberg wrote:
>> Anyone have any knowledge of the Fuji F30 or the Canon SD700 in underwater use?
>>
>> Adam
>
> There is a FUjiFilm camera forum and also reviews on the F30 on:
> www.dpreview.com/
>
> also if you type Digital Camera Review F30 into Google it comes back
> with 196,000 pages - so plenty for you to read.

Yes I've read a number of reviews but have not seen much in underwater use. I was
hoping someone would have experience with underwater use of these cameras.
Theoretically the Fuji F30 should be ideal for underwater use because of its high
sensitivity ISO 3200 and minimal shutter lag.

Adam

14 Aug 2006 16:13:06
Osprey
Re: Fuji F30

Adam Helberg wrote:
> "Osprey" <rick_hughes@btconnect.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Adam Helberg wrote:
> >> Anyone have any knowledge of the Fuji F30 or the Canon SD700 in underwater use?
> >>
> >> Adam
> >
> > There is a FUjiFilm camera forum and also reviews on the F30 on:
> > www.dpreview.com/
> >
> > also if you type Digital Camera Review F30 into Google it comes back
> > with 196,000 pages - so plenty for you to read.
>
> Yes I've read a number of reviews but have not seen much in underwater use. I was
> hoping someone would have experience with underwater use of these cameras.
> Theoretically the Fuji F30 should be ideal for underwater use because of its high
> sensitivity ISO 3200 and minimal shutter lag.
>
> Adam

Take a look on Digital Diver, wetpixel.com, Digital Diver Network
.... good sources.

I have been considering the F30, also take a look at Olympus SP350,
Canon SD630.

The new Fuji F650 should also be good for UW use ... same short shutter
lag, good lens etc., the F30 wins out on the extensive ISO range ...
but most users would lock it to lthan 200 ISO or less, so it may not be
that much help for UW use.

15 Aug 2006 04:21:10

> Adam Helberg wrote:
>> "Osprey" <rick_hughes@btconnect.com> wrote in message

>> > There is a FUjiFilm camera forum and also reviews on the F30 on:
>> > www.dpreview.com/
>> >
>> > also if you type Digital Camera Review F30 into Google it comes back
>> > with 196,000 pages - so plenty for you to read.
>>
>> Yes I've read a number of reviews but have not seen much in underwater use. I was
>> hoping someone would have experience with underwater use of these cameras.
>> Theoretically the Fuji F30 should be ideal for underwater use because of its high
>> sensitivity ISO 3200 and minimal shutter lag.
>>
>> Adam
>
> Take a look on Digital Diver, wetpixel.com, Digital Diver Network
> .... good sources.
>
> I have been considering the F30, also take a look at Olympus SP350,
> Canon SD630.
>
> The new Fuji F650 should also be good for UW use ... same short shutter
> lag, good lens etc., the F30 wins out on the extensive ISO range ...
> but most users would lock it to lthan 200 ISO or less, so it may not be
> that much help for UW use.

Fuji has a website re the F30 in underwater use:
http://check.tvz.com/1128/f30emr_eng/

Adam

05 Sep 2006 15:46:52
Rick Hughes

> "Osprey" <rick_hughes@btconnect.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Adam Helberg wrote:
>>> "Osprey" <rick_hughes@btconnect.com> wrote in message

I bought myself one of these week before last ... used in on 12 dives in
last week... very pleased with it. video mode is also superb underwater ...
The Intelligent lash with the diffuser fitted seems to work a treat - just
set camera to Underwater Mode and get clicking.

Battery life is incredible ... took more than 200 pics, many with flash &
loads of video and battery still showing full.

Would have liked to be able to adjust white balance while in Underwater Mode
... but can't do that ... but can always use AP, SP, Auto or Manual if I
want to do this.

05 Sep 2006 19:29:59
Dan Bracuk
Re: Fuji F30

"Rick Hughes" <rick_hughes@btconnect.com > pounded away at his keyboard
resulting in:
:Battery life is incredible ... took more than 200 pics, many with flash &
:loads of video and battery still showing full.

Or maybe your battery indicator doesn't work properly. 200 pics, and
still fully charged? That seems unrealistic to me.

Dan Bracuk
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups

Ben Panter
Re: Fuji F30

Dan Bracuk wrote:
> "Rick Hughes" <rick_hughes@btconnect.com> pounded away at his keyboard
> resulting in:
> :Battery life is incredible ... took more than 200 pics, many with flash &
> :loads of video and battery still showing full.
>
> Or maybe your battery indicator doesn't work properly. 200 pics, and
> still fully charged? That seems unrealistic to me.

Modern cameras are pretty amazing at this - especially those at the
so-called "prosumer" end of the market. I have a Nikon D70s, and even
taking a mixture of flash and non flash, and focussing a big lens, the
battery charge lasts at least a thousand exposures. In the year that
I've had it, I think I've charged the battery four, maybe five times -
and I use the camera most weekends.

The tiny little compact cameras are more limited, of course.

Ben

--
Ben Panter, Garching, Germany.
Email false, http://www.benpanter.co.uk

06 Sep 2006 14:19:58
Bardo
Re: Fuji F30

"Ben Panter" <me@privacy.net > wrote in message
> Dan Bracuk wrote:
>> "Rick Hughes" <rick_hughes@btconnect.com> pounded away at his keyboard
>> resulting in:
>> :Battery life is incredible ... took more than 200 pics, many with flash
>> & :loads of video and battery still showing full.
>>
>> Or maybe your battery indicator doesn't work properly. 200 pics, and
>> still fully charged? That seems unrealistic to me.
>
> Modern cameras are pretty amazing at this - especially those at the
> so-called "prosumer" end of the market. I have a Nikon D70s, and even
> taking a mixture of flash and non flash, and focussing a big lens, the
> battery charge lasts at least a thousand exposures. In the year that I've
> had it, I think I've charged the battery four, maybe five times - and I
> use the camera most weekends.
>
> The tiny little compact cameras are more limited, of course.

The problem with the compact cameras is that they tend to have small
batteries driving very large screens. I've got a little IXUS 65 which has to
continuously drive a large 3.0" screen - it still amazes me that the battery
lasts as long as it does!

06 Sep 2006 17:12:19
Rick Hughes
Re: Fuji F30

"Bardo" <me@privacy.net > wrote in message

> The problem with the compact cameras is that they tend to have small
> batteries driving very large screens. I've got a little IXUS 65 which has
> to continuously drive a large 3.0" screen - it still amazes me that the
> battery lasts as long as it does!

Just come back from a weeks diving ... the battery on the F30 is really
amazing, used it on every dive and used the video mode loads ... so screen
on for long periods.
Most of photos used the intelligent flash ..

In total more than 200 pics and 11 videos ... and battery display still
shows full.

I bought a spare battery - and now wish I hadn't bothered .... it really is
very good indeed.

06 Sep 2006 18:59:45
Ken
Re: Fuji F30

"Rick Hughes" <rick_hughes@btconnect.com > wrote in message

> "Bardo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>

>> The problem with the compact cameras is that they tend to have small
>> batteries driving very large screens. I've got a little IXUS 65 which has
>> to continuously drive a large 3.0" screen - it still amazes me that the
>> battery lasts as long as it does!
>
> Just come back from a weeks diving ... the battery on the F30 is really
> amazing, used it on every dive and used the video mode loads ... so screen
> on for long periods.
> Most of photos used the intelligent flash ..
>
> In total more than 200 pics and 11 videos ... and battery display still
> shows full.
>

> I bought a spare battery - and now wish I hadn't bothered .... it really
> is very good indeed.

Yes, absolutely excellent - until it fails. By which time, the (I may be
speaking out of turn here, but it will apply to many if not specifically
THIS camera) dedicated battery which is used in a few models of camera only,
which are bought at a permium as are their dedicated chargers, will no
longer be available as the cameras are no longer made. You are then left
with a camera that WOULD work absolutely perfectly - if only you could power
it up!

That's why I prefer cameras that are powered by stock items such as AA
cells. You can keep up with advances in battery technology simply by
purchasing higher capacity cells as the need arises. In the event you
mistreat your cells as we all do sooner or later, their reduced working life
is not an issue because they are easily and inexpensively replaced. In the
event that your charger fails, just about any (inexpensive) generic charger
will do, and failing that you can also buy a set of alkalines to keep you
going in the remotest parts of the world!

Ken

08 Sep 2006 23:00:33
Rick Hughes
Re: Fuji F30

> That's why I prefer cameras that are powered by stock items such as AA
> cells. You can keep up with advances in battery technology simply by
> purchasing higher capacity cells as the need arises. In the event you
> mistreat your cells as we all do sooner or later, their reduced working
> life is not an issue because they are easily and inexpensively replaced.
> In the event that your charger fails, just about any (inexpensive) generic
> charger will do, and failing that you can also buy a set of alkalines to
> keep you going in the remotest parts of the world!

Well as mentioned I have a spare ... so no problem is there ?

Charger failing .... won't even bother taking the charger ... 350 + pictures
per battery ... I ain't ever going to take 700+ pictures.

In years to come ? ... don't really care that much... I seem to change out
my camera every 5 years or so, and batteries have so far never needed
replacing for any of the previous cameras I had in the time I owned them.

I seem to remember reading that any product sold with a CE mark (i.e.
anything sold in EU) has to maintain spares for 10 years.

09 Sep 2006 09:54:17

>> That's why I prefer cameras that are powered by stock items such as AA
>> cells. You can keep up with advances in battery technology simply by
>> purchasing higher capacity cells as the need arises. In the event you
>> mistreat your cells as we all do sooner or later, their reduced working
>> life is not an issue because they are easily and inexpensively replaced.
>> In the event that your charger fails, just about any (inexpensive)
>> generic charger will do, and failing that you can also buy a set of
>> alkalines to keep you going in the remotest parts of the world!
>

> Well as mentioned I have a spare ... so no problem is there ?

Bet you forked out more for your spare than you would for a set of AAs!

> Charger failing .... won't even bother taking the charger ... 350 +
> pictures per battery ... I ain't ever going to take 700+ pictures.

Brave man!

> In years to come ? ... don't really care that much... I seem to change out
> my camera every 5 years or so, and batteries have so far never needed
> replacing for any of the previous cameras I had in the time I owned them.

You may wish to change your camera, others may not wish to or might not be
able to afford to. Certain your options are limited if you simply can't use
it, or pass it on to a youngster for them to learn the rudiments.

> I seem to remember reading that any product sold with a CE mark (i.e.
> anything sold in EU) has to maintain spares for 10 years.

. . . which isn't much use if your battery fails next year when you're in
Indonesia - where I suspect you could buy some AAs.