29 May 2005 18:32:07
G_Wee
Back Plate Systems: Which one?

Hi All,
Been looking at getting myself a back plate system. But cant seem to decide
on Dive Rite or the Halcyon stuff....

Anyone out there know of sites that have reviewed bth items?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

G.

29 May 2005 06:38:31
Rudy Benner
Re: Back Plate Systems: Which one?

"G_Wee" <g_wee@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> Hi All,
> Been looking at getting myself a back plate system. But cant seem to
> decide on Dive Rite or the Halcyon stuff....
>
> Anyone out there know of sites that have reviewed bth items?
>
> Cheers and thanks in advance.
>
> G.

http://www.oxycheq.com/main.html

29 May 2005 13:24:24
Patrick Hopfinger
Re: Back Plate Systems: Which one?

> Hi All,
> Been looking at getting myself a back plate system. But cant seem to decide
> on Dive Rite or the Halcyon stuff....
>
> Anyone out there know of sites that have reviewed bth items?
>
> Cheers and thanks in advance.
>
> G.

I use a Dive Rite stainless steel backplate with a continuous piece of
webbing. Once it's adjusted for fit it works great, fairly inexpensive and
simple. I find I do need to do some minor adjustments when shifting
between a dry suit with under garment to a thin wetsuit (I use the same rig
for all of my diving).

29 May 2005 13:41:02
Al Wells
Re: Back Plate Systems: Which one?

In article <42999a1a$1@news.starhub.net.sg >, g_wee@hotmail.com says...
> Hi All,
> Been looking at getting myself a back plate system. But cant seem to decide
> on Dive Rite or the Halcyon stuff....

You don't have to buy everything from the same manufacturer, the
mounting holes are all the same. I use Dive Rite plates and the old
Halcyon wings with Scott Koplin weighted single tank adapter or an OMS
unweighted one. I have different wings for single tank, steel doubles
and aluminum doubles.

Oxycheq wasn't around when I bought my gear, and DR did not have the
Venture wing. I would take a look at both if I was going to buy gear
today. I wouldn't touch the doubles wings that Halcyon is selling now; I
don't know enough about their current single tank wings to comment.

29 May 2005 20:47:22
Michael Wolf
Re: Back Plate Systems: Which one?

"Rudy Benner" <newsgroups@rudybenner.com > wrote in

> "G_Wee" <g_wee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>> Been looking at getting myself a back plate system. But cant seem to
>> decide on Dive Rite or the Halcyon stuff....
>>
>> Anyone out there know of sites that have reviewed bth items?
>>
>> Cheers and thanks in advance.
>>
>> G.
>>
> http://www.oxycheq.com/main.html

Yep, buy yourself one of Scott's BPs and make the webbing yourself.

--
Michael Wolf
------------

Cthulhu for President! Why settle for the lesser evil?

remove stopspam to reply

29 May 2005 16:26:41
Jeff

On Sun, 29 May 2005 18:32:07 +0800, "G_Wee" <g_wee@hotmail.com > wrote:

>Hi All,
>Been looking at getting myself a back plate system. But cant seem to decide
>on Dive Rite or the Halcyon stuff....
>
>Anyone out there know of sites that have reviewed bth items?
>
>Cheers and thanks in advance.
>
>G.

I got a bp from Scott Koplin & the oxycheq wing & absolutely love the
setup!
jeff

01 Jun 2005 07:48:04
G_Wee
Re: Back Plate Systems: Which one?

Hi All,
your feed back is greatly appreciated.

What I plan to do is get the Halcyon Eclipse system. After that, for twin
tanks, I will get the Dive Rite wings.

The primary reason for this is that I have only managed to locate retailers
of Halcyon and Dive Rite here. Stuff like the OxyCheq, although attractive,
are a bit out of reach unless I want it shipped over. In which case the
total cost for a single tank systems goes a lot higher.

Given a choice between the Dive Rite and the Halcyon BPs, which would you go
for. They are very similar, but the Halcyon finishing is a lot better.
Although I dive in tropical waters, I am looking a the SS version from both
companies. whats the opinion of my choice on going SS?

With regards to making my own webbing, is there any sites I can look at for
materials and stuff? It is a bit hard to find the webbing equivilent to the
Halcyon's version... (tried and failed at sourcing for it)

Thanks for all the ffelback so far, really really appreciate it.

G.