17 May 2005 02:35:00
Adam Helberg
$1400 Atomic T2 Regulator

This month's Rodales best-new-reg winner is the $1400 Atomic T2. Anyone here use this
regulator?

Adam

17 May 2005 06:41:45
H Huntzinger
Re: $1400 Atomic T2 Regulator

"Adam Helberg" <sendspamhere@yahee.com > wrote:

> This month's Rodales best-new-reg winner is the $1400 Atomic T2. Anyone here
> use this regulator?

Not saying that it isn't a good reg, but for that much, I'd probably be
more inclined to spend a bit more and get a rebreather.

-hhh

18 May 2005 19:46:30
Tony Howard
Re: $1400 Atomic T2 Regulator

> Not saying that it isn't a good reg, but for that much, I'd probably be
> more inclined to spend a bit more and get a rebreather.

Or spend a LOT less on a better reg, such as an Apeks!

19 May 2005 01:50:31
Lee Bell
Re: $1400 Atomic T2 Regulator

"Tony Howard" wrote

>> Not saying that it isn't a good reg, but for that much, I'd probably be
>> more inclined to spend a bit more and get a rebreather.

> Or spend a LOT less on a better reg, such as an Apeks!

You, perhaps, have some independent test results to support your statement?

I'm not a particular fan of Atomic regulators, but this isn't the first time
they received the top rating. I don't recall seeing Apeks there at all,
ever.

Lee

20 May 2005 20:48:06
Kriterian
Re: $1400 Atomic T2 Regulator

"Lee Bell" <leebell@ix.remove.netcom.com > wrote in message
> "Tony Howard" wrote
>
>>> Not saying that it isn't a good reg, but for that much, I'd probably be
>>> more inclined to spend a bit more and get a rebreather.
>
>> Or spend a LOT less on a better reg, such as an Apeks!
>
> You, perhaps, have some independent test results to support your
> statement?
>
> I'm not a particular fan of Atomic regulators, but this isn't the first
> time they received the top rating. I don't recall seeing Apeks there at
> all, ever.
>
> Lee

Apek's wasn't listed in Scuba Diving's (no longer Rodales) review because
they didn't have a regulator that qualified for the "new for 2004" category.

21 May 2005 09:47:08
Lee Bell
Re: $1400 Atomic T2 Regulator

"Kriterian" wrote

> Apek's wasn't listed in Scuba Diving's (no longer Rodales) review because
> they didn't have a regulator that qualified for the "new for 2004"
> category.

Ahhh, so this test didn't rate Atomic as the top regulator. It rated it the
top new regulator for the year. That's considerably different. Still,
Atomic has been on the top of the list before. Has Apeks? Anecdotal
reports aside, is there any evidence that Apeks is best?

22 May 2005 02:12:27
Adam Helberg
Re: $1400 Atomic T2 Regulator

"Lee Bell" <leebell@ix.remove.netcom.com > wrote in message
> "Tony Howard" wrote
>
>>> Not saying that it isn't a good reg, but for that much, I'd probably be
>>> more inclined to spend a bit more and get a rebreather.
>
>> Or spend a LOT less on a better reg, such as an Apeks!
>
> You, perhaps, have some independent test results to support your statement?
>
> I'm not a particular fan of Atomic regulators, but this isn't the first time they
> received the top rating. I don't recall seeing Apeks there at all, ever.
>
> Lee

Atomic have a two-year maintenace interval which is nice. Any other brands do this?

Adam

22 May 2005 07:10:18
Tony Howard
Re: $1400 Atomic T2 Regulator

> Atomic have a two-year maintenace interval which is nice. Any other brands
> do this?
>
> Adam
The 'service interval' is advisory and following religiously is often only
worth doing if:

1. You are a regular diver (not just a couple of weeks a year when on
holiday), probably in excess of a few hundred dives per year
2. There was any likelihood of salt water or other contaminants entering
the regulator (especially the 1st stage)
3. You regularly dive with Nitrox (higher concentrations of Oxygen can
rapidly degrade O rings and seals).
4. If it is required by the manufacturer as part of your warranty, always
assuming that you are the original purchaser.

Otherwise, service them if they need it not when you're told to (just like
your car may say to do the brake pads once a year, but if you've only done a
couple of hundred miles then they won't need doing).

TonyH

22 May 2005 16:25:35
Adam Helberg
Re: $1400 Atomic T2 Regulator

"Tony Howard" <tony@samesamediving.com > wrote in message news:42902201.0@entanet...

>> Atomic have a two-year maintenace interval which is nice. Any other brands do
>> this?
>>
>> Adam
> The 'service interval' is advisory and following religiously is often only worth
> doing if:
>
> 1. You are a regular diver (not just a couple of weeks a year when on holiday),
> probably in excess of a few hundred dives per year
> 2. There was any likelihood of salt water or other contaminants entering the
> regulator (especially the 1st stage)
> 3. You regularly dive with Nitrox (higher concentrations of Oxygen can rapidly
> degrade O rings and seals).
> 4. If it is required by the manufacturer as part of your warranty, always assuming
> that you are the original purchaser.
>
> Otherwise, service them if they need it not when you're told to (just like your car
> may say to do the brake pads once a year, but if you've only done a couple of
> hundred miles then they won't need doing).
>
> TonyH

I used to think that way as well until my last vacation to Cozumel last year. I took
both regulators in case of failure--Oceanic Delta: a piston and a diaphragm, neither
of which had been serviced for a few years(3-5), and had not been used about half a
year. The piston one failed badly--leaking and making buzzing sounds, and the
diaphragm leaked as well, though I was able to use it. And yes, I am very meticulous
about rinsing them well and keeping water from entering.

Adam

24 May 2005 22:24:26
Dr. Yak
Re: $1400 Atomic T2 Regulator

Unfortunately servicing them when they fail either on the surface a mile
off shore or 50+ feet down is a bit difficult...

Tony Howard wrote:

>>Atomic have a two-year maintenace interval which is nice. Any other brands
>>do this?
>>
>>Adam
>
> The 'service interval' is advisory and following religiously is often only
> worth doing if:
>
> 1. You are a regular diver (not just a couple of weeks a year when on
> holiday), probably in excess of a few hundred dives per year
> 2. There was any likelihood of salt water or other contaminants entering
> the regulator (especially the 1st stage)
> 3. You regularly dive with Nitrox (higher concentrations of Oxygen can
> rapidly degrade O rings and seals).
> 4. If it is required by the manufacturer as part of your warranty, always
> assuming that you are the original purchaser.
>
> Otherwise, service them if they need it not when you're told to (just like
> your car may say to do the brake pads once a year, but if you've only done a
> couple of hundred miles then they won't need doing).
>
> TonyH

25 May 2005 22:19:58
bill
Re: $1400 Atomic T2 Regulator

The T2 is a great reg but if you plan on doing anything above 40% you will
have to purchase the M1 it is the only Atomic reg that can handle O2 above
the 40% range.
You won't notice much difference in breathablity if any at all between any
of the atomic regs from the B2 through the T2. I have a B2 and a T2 and oh
yea have the rebreather too (good luck finding a rebreather for $1400 full
setup will run about 3 times that much) just wish I had more oportunity to
use it.

Greetings from Atlanta
Bill

"H Huntzinger" <{NOSPAM-rm_to_reply}rec-scuba2005@huntzinger.com > wrote in
message
om...
> "Adam Helberg" <sendspamhere@yahee.com> wrote:
>
> > This month's Rodales best-new-reg winner is the $1400 Atomic T2. Anyone
here
> > use this regulator?
>

> Not saying that it isn't a good reg, but for that much, I'd probably be
> more inclined to spend a bit more and get a rebreather.
>

> -hhh

27 May 2005 07:09:14
Tony Howard
Re: $1400 Atomic T2 Regulator

I did not say "servicing them when they fail ", as any regular diver will
know when their regulator is getting tired, as it will become 'out of tune'
and a little more difficult to breathe from or more prone to free-flowing.
Also as the lubricants dry up the levers & adjusters will become stiffer and
possibly more 'gritty' when operated.

This is LONG before a good regulator will stop working.

If the second-stage front diaphragm cover can be unscrewed by hand (as most
can be if not over tightened), then a simple inspection of the large rubber
diaphragm is also worthwhile (although this is not a part routinely replaced
during a service).

"Dr. Yak" <DrYak@nospam.com > wrote in message
> Unfortunately servicing them when they fail either on the surface a mile
> off shore or 50+ feet down is a bit difficult...
>
> Tony Howard wrote:

27 May 2005 07:12:40
Tony Howard
Re: $1400 Atomic T2 Regulator

Most regulators work far better if used regularly rather than being left on
a shelf, just like cars, even if they are properly rinsed between dives,
including a good 20 minute soak in warm fresh water and vigorous agitation
to dissolve any salt, not just a quick dunk in a tub; especially if that is
a tub used by 25 other divers.

TonyH

"Adam Helberg" <sendspamhere@yahee.com > wrote in message

> "Tony Howard" <tony@samesamediving.com> wrote in message
>> >
>>> Atomic have a two-year maintenace interval which is nice. Any other
>>> brands do this?
>>>
>>> Adam
>> The 'service interval' is advisory and following religiously is often
>> only worth doing if:
>>
>> 1. You are a regular diver (not just a couple of weeks a year when on
>> holiday), probably in excess of a few hundred dives per year
>> 2. There was any likelihood of salt water or other contaminants entering
>> the regulator (especially the 1st stage)
>> 3. You regularly dive with Nitrox (higher concentrations of Oxygen can
>> rapidly degrade O rings and seals).
>> 4. If it is required by the manufacturer as part of your warranty,
>> always assuming that you are the original purchaser.
>>
>> Otherwise, service them if they need it not when you're told to (just
>> like your car may say to do the brake pads once a year, but if you've
>> only done a couple of hundred miles then they won't need doing).
>>
>> TonyH
>>

> I used to think that way as well until my last vacation to Cozumel last
> year. I took both regulators in case of failure--Oceanic Delta: a piston
> and a diaphragm, neither of which had been serviced for a few years(3-5),
> and had not been used about half a year. The piston one failed
> badly--leaking and making buzzing sounds, and the diaphragm leaked as
> well, though I was able to use it. And yes, I am very meticulous about
> rinsing them well and keeping water from entering.
>
> Adam

24 Sep 2005 07:13:47
Douglas W. Popeye Frederick
Re: $1400 Atomic T2 Regulator

> This month's Rodales best-new-reg winner is the $1400 Atomic T2. Anyone
> here use this regulator?

Noboby in their right mind.

> Adam

24 Sep 2005 07:16:38
Douglas W. Popeye Frederick
Re: $1400 Atomic T2 Regulator

"Adam Helberg" <sendspamhere@yahee.com > wrote in message

> I used to think that way as well until my last vacation to Cozumel last
> year. I took both regulators in case of failure--Oceanic Delta: a piston
> and a diaphragm, neither of which had been serviced for a few years(3-5),
> and had not been used about half a year. The piston one failed
> badly--leaking and making buzzing sounds, and the diaphragm leaked as
> well, though I was able to use it. And yes, I am very meticulous about
> rinsing them well and keeping water from entering.

Just not very meticulous about annual service.