27 Feb 2007 17:38:04
Herbert Cannon
My postman

My postman is a really nice fellow. He asked the other day where he could go
to learn some martial arts. He said that the young people today do not have
any respect anymore.
Actually, we have some of the Katrina evacuees here and they are badasses. I
figure he ran into one of them in his neighborhood. He is the easy prey for
them. Middle class black guy with no fighting skills; but a solid citizen.
Now where do I send someone like him? He is an older fellow.
Karate - no - not practical
Judo - no too old and takes too long
BJJ - no too old and takes too long
Aikido - no takes forever
Iaido - no not practical
jodo - no not practical
boxing - no too old
ccw - does not give you the skills to use the
firearm.
Police self defense course - no it is really a self deception course
Looks like a class that had about two days of empty handed moves, two days
of use of the knife, two days of improvised weapons, and three days of
firearms training ( to include force on force) would be perfect for him. But
it does not exist here.
So what would you do?




27 Feb 2007 15:57:13
Pierre Honeyman
Re: My postman

On Feb 27, 3:38 pm, "Herbert Cannon" <hcanno...@cox.net > wrote:
> My postman is a really nice fellow. He asked the other day where he could go
> to learn some martial arts. He said that the young people today do not have
> any respect anymore.
> Actually, we have some of the Katrina evacuees here and they are badasses. I
> figure he ran into one of them in his neighborhood. He is the easy prey for
> them. Middle class black guy with no fighting skills; but a solid citizen.
> Now where do I send someone like him? He is an older fellow.
> Karate - no - not practical
> Judo - no too old and takes too long
> BJJ - no too old and takes too long
> Aikido - no takes forever
> Iaido - no not practical
> jodo - no not practical
> boxing - no too old
> ccw - does not give you the skills to use the
> firearm.
> Police self defense course - no it is really a self deception course
> Looks like a class that had about two days of empty handed moves, two days
> of use of the knife, two days of improvised weapons, and three days of
> firearms training ( to include force on force) would be perfect for him. But
> it does not exist here.
> So what would you do?

You can't learn to fight in 2 days.

That is, unless you already know how. Which begs the question.

First: gun, bullets, range. But the problem is he cannot carry while
working, I'd assume.

Then, Judo. It won't take him that long to learn kuzushi and one
solid throw.

Pierre



28 Feb 2007 10:22:40
Gernot Hassenpflug
Re: My postman

"Herbert Cannon" <hcannon18@cox.net > writes:

> My postman is a really nice fellow. He asked the other day where he could go
> to learn some martial arts. He said that the young people today do not have
> any respect anymore.
> Actually, we have some of the Katrina evacuees here and they are badasses. I
> figure he ran into one of them in his neighborhood. He is the easy prey for
> them. Middle class black guy with no fighting skills; but a solid citizen.
> Now where do I send someone like him? He is an older fellow.
> Karate - no - not practical
> Judo - no too old and takes too long
> BJJ - no too old and takes too long
> Aikido - no takes forever
> Iaido - no not practical
> jodo - no not practical
> boxing - no too old
> ccw - does not give you the skills to use the
> firearm.
> Police self defense course - no it is really a self deception course
> Looks like a class that had about two days of empty handed moves, two days
> of use of the knife, two days of improvised weapons, and three days of
> firearms training ( to include force on force) would be perfect for him. But
> it does not exist here.
> So what would you do?

My quickie thoughts:

Requirements of martial arts

* Change in body useage,

Which requires

* 24/7 training,

Which requires

* Change in thinking.

The body change can come quicker if the thinking change is made first
and early. So I would say send him to one of Mike Sigman's weekend
courses, get him to realize there is something different to be
accomplished in terms of how the body works, and then get him to take
classes in something approaching that so that he can keep working
under some kind of supervision while also doing daily work. I would
say ballet (bar lesson, not necessarily the center practice) or
yoga. After 1 year or so he should be a very differently-built
person. Then he can start to learn some actual techniques, and make
them effective immediately.
--
BOFH excuse #296:

The hardware bus needs a new token.


27 Feb 2007 18:13:21
Scary
Re: My postman

On Feb 28, 10:38 am, "Herbert Cannon" <hcanno...@cox.net > wrote:
> My postman is a really nice fellow. He asked the other day where he could go
> to learn some martial arts. He said that the young people today do not have
> any respect anymore.
> Actually, we have some of the Katrina evacuees here and they are badasses. I
> figure he ran into one of them in his neighborhood. He is the easy prey for
> them. Middle class black guy with no fighting skills; but a solid citizen.
> Now where do I send someone like him? He is an older fellow.
> Karate - no - not practical
> Judo - no too old and takes too long
> BJJ - no too old and takes too long
> Aikido - no takes forever
> Iaido - no not practical
> jodo - no not practical
> boxing - no too old
> ccw - does not give you the skills to use the
> firearm.
> Police self defense course - no it is really a self deception course
> Looks like a class that had about two days of empty handed moves, two days
> of use of the knife, two days of improvised weapons, and three days of
> firearms training ( to include force on force) would be perfect for him. But
> it does not exist here.
> So what would you do?


It's depends on what sort of movement he feels comfortable doing, if
he does Bjj and he's physically capable then within 6 months he should
be able to beat most people with no training (that's 1 on 1).
I think Judo is similar, but grappling in a sports based system might
not give him what he needs in the short term.

I've got no confidence in things like Krav Maga because of all the too
deadly bullshit they go on with, but from a basic view point it might
be right for this guy.

If he favors stand up and wants to get the most effective training do
I'd say Muay Thai and if he feels uncomfortable kicking then he should
do Boxing.
And I think he should always carry a taser and mace whist he's
working.

Scary.

Okay now queue the guy who says "Nah! He should go and do Wing Chun
kung fu"!



28 Feb 2007 12:35:24
Gernot Hassenpflug
Re: My postman

"Scary" <modelmakers@msn.com > writes:

> On Feb 28, 10:38 am, "Herbert Cannon" <hcanno...@cox.net> wrote:
>> My postman is a really nice fellow. He asked the other day where he could go
>> to learn some martial arts. He said that the young people today do not have
>> any respect anymore.
>> Actually, we have some of the Katrina evacuees here and they are badasses. I
>> figure he ran into one of them in his neighborhood. He is the easy prey for
>> them. Middle class black guy with no fighting skills; but a solid citizen.
>> Now where do I send someone like him? He is an older fellow.
>> Karate - no - not practical
>> Judo - no too old and takes too long
>> BJJ - no too old and takes too long
>> Aikido - no takes forever
>> Iaido - no not practical
>> jodo - no not practical
>> boxing - no too old
>> ccw - does not give you the skills to use the
>> firearm.
>> Police self defense course - no it is really a self deception course
>> Looks like a class that had about two days of empty handed moves, two days
>> of use of the knife, two days of improvised weapons, and three days of
>> firearms training ( to include force on force) would be perfect for him. But
>> it does not exist here.
>> So what would you do?
>
>
> It's depends on what sort of movement he feels comfortable doing, if

Scary, I'm talking about getting a news type of movement, not trying
to do a martial art based on your existing everyday movements.
--
BOFH excuse #162:

bugs in the RAID


28 Feb 2007 12:37:01
Gernot Hassenpflug
Re: My postman

"Scary" <modelmakers@msn.com > writes:

> On Feb 28, 10:38 am, "Herbert Cannon" <hcanno...@cox.net> wrote:
>> My postman is a really nice fellow. He asked the other day where he could go
>> to learn some martial arts. He said that the young people today do not have
>> any respect anymore.
>> Actually, we have some of the Katrina evacuees here and they are badasses. I
>> figure he ran into one of them in his neighborhood. He is the easy prey for
>> them. Middle class black guy with no fighting skills; but a solid citizen.
>> Now where do I send someone like him? He is an older fellow.
>> Karate - no - not practical
>> Judo - no too old and takes too long
>> BJJ - no too old and takes too long
>> Aikido - no takes forever
>> Iaido - no not practical
>> jodo - no not practical
>> boxing - no too old
>> ccw - does not give you the skills to use the
>> firearm.
>> Police self defense course - no it is really a self deception course
>> Looks like a class that had about two days of empty handed moves, two days
>> of use of the knife, two days of improvised weapons, and three days of
>> firearms training ( to include force on force) would be perfect for him. But
>> it does not exist here.
>> So what would you do?
>
>
> It's depends on what sort of movement he feels comfortable doing, if

Damn keyboard combinations (and my brain). I meant to add.... and then
he can go out and try what you suggest to see what he prefers. Since
the movement I wrote about learning underlies them all, he's not
choosing different principles as much as leaning towards certain
applications of these principles when he makes a specific choice.
--
BOFH excuse #119:

evil hackers from Serbia.


27 Feb 2007 21:41:59
Herbert Cannon
Re: My postman

Hey this guy is out of shape and about 57 or 0r 58. Forget BJJ, Judo etc -
it aint gonna happen with a guy this old and out of shape. Probably best he
has a weapon of some kind and training to go with it.




27 Feb 2007 21:58:38
Herbert Cannon
Re: My postman


> You can't learn to fight in 2 days.

Nope but you may learn to escape enough to get to your weapon.
>

> First: gun, bullets, range. But the problem is he cannot carry while
> working, I'd assume.

No the post office has a strict rule about that. That is why so many of its
employees go " Postal " with such a telling effect. He really doesn't need
one while working though ( except to protect himself from his fellow
workers).
>
> Then, Judo. It won't take him that long to learn kuzushi and one
> solid throw.

Sounds like a decent plan.




27 Feb 2007 22:13:22
Herbert Cannon
Re: My postman



. After 1 year or so he should be a very differently-built
> person. Then he can start to learn some actual techniques, and make
> them effective immediately.

Not bad. Meanwhile he is a walking target for a year. Need something more
rapid.





27 Feb 2007 22:14:56
Herbert Cannon
Re: My postman


> And I think he should always carry a taser and mace whist he's
> working.

Good thoughts. I am not sure he would be allowed a taser; but a knife is
probably not frowned upon.




27 Feb 2007 21:52:35
Chas
Re: My postman

"Herbert Cannon" <hcannon18@cox.net > wrote
> Not bad. Meanwhile he is a walking target for a year. Need something more
> rapid.

Simple force multipliers- steel-toed shoes are an easy one; gloves, a
leather coat for protection.
Simple posture weapons; hands up, chin down, power off the rear, align your
skeleton. Elbows for close work, knees, stomps- some kicks with those new
steel-toed shoes. Headbutts are good- make them a function of the stance.
Some little chachka to hang on to- I always liked Bic pens. Just a little
something gives a man more confidence in the efficacy of his hits.
A cane is not too cumbersome to carry- if a knife, make it really
unobtrusive- like a 3 in. blade with a 6 in. hilt, hardwood and tool steel.
I like a cheap fish filleting knife- bright yellow plastic body with a thin
blade- it's not like I care if it lasts two fights or gets lost.

Chas




27 Feb 2007 21:54:52
Chas
Re: My postman

"Herbert Cannon" <hcannon18@cox.net > wrote
>> And I think he should always carry a taser and mace whist he's
>> working.
> Good thoughts. I am not sure he would be allowed a taser; but a knife is
> probably not frowned upon.

Sounds like 'dog spray' and a 'boxcutter' kerampit are a natural.

Chas




27 Feb 2007 21:25:08
Re: My postman


> So what would you do?

I'd say boxing to learn the basics...he'll be miles ahead of where he
was if he learns just the basics.



28 Feb 2007 08:02:22
Chas
Re: My postman

<nickmorabito@hotmail.com > wrote
> I'd say boxing to learn the basics...he'll be miles ahead of where he
> was if he learns just the basics.

Why not learn a complete system? One that fights at all ranges, with all
techniques, against all targets-
Why would you want to learn such a restricted method?

Chas




28 Feb 2007 18:02:17
Herbert Cannon
Re: My postman


"Chas" <chasclements@comcast.net > wrote in message
news:evednXgVi5OHlnjYnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@comcast.com...
> "Herbert Cannon" <hcannon18@cox.net> wrote
>>> And I think he should always carry a taser and mace whist he's
>>> working.
>> Good thoughts. I am not sure he would be allowed a taser; but a knife is
>> probably not frowned upon.
>
> Sounds like 'dog spray' and a 'boxcutter' kerampit are a natural.
>
> Chas

Good suggestions!!




28 Feb 2007 20:21:19
Mark Goldberg
Re: My postman

Herbert Cannon wrote:
> . After 1 year or so he should be a very differently-built
>
>>person. Then he can start to learn some actual techniques, and make
>>them effective immediately.
>
>
> Not bad. Meanwhile he is a walking target for a year. Need something more
> rapid.
>
>
>
How about a nice tazer?

Mark


28 Feb 2007 20:23:27
Mark Goldberg
Re: My postman

Herbert Cannon wrote:

>>And I think he should always carry a taser and mace whist he's
>>working.
>
>
> Good thoughts. I am not sure he would be allowed a taser; but a knife is
> probably not frowned upon.
>
>

Then don't announce you have a taser. He's a nice man. Make sure he
doesn't be all that honest about carrying one.

Mark


01 Mar 2007 10:48:58
Gernot Hassenpflug
Re: My postman

"Herbert Cannon" <hcannon18@cox.net > writes:

> . After 1 year or so he should be a very differently-built
>> person. Then he can start to learn some actual techniques, and make
>> them effective immediately.
>
> Not bad. Meanwhile he is a walking target for a year. Need something more
> rapid.

Cone on Herb, you know better than that. He needs both. You can't run
a marathon without preparation, so too bad if one is coming up
tomorrow and you've never run a straight kilometer in your life.

For stop-gap sure, he should use something, but it's no replacement
for getting his mind and body rewired for martial arts ... because
anything he does with his body is going to suffer while he's not yet
rewired.

But as you say, he does need stop-gap pseudo-solution, but he should
be realistic and note that it is not a real solution. If some punks
threaten him with a gun, it's tickets. The best he could do is carry
some kind of sap maybe, that's not illegal, and use intimidation as
much as possible.

--
BOFH excuse #398:

Data for intranet got routed through the extranet and landed on the internet.


01 Mar 2007 10:49:31
Gernot Hassenpflug
Re: My postman

"Chas" <chasclements@comcast.net > writes:

> "Herbert Cannon" <hcannon18@cox.net> wrote
>> Not bad. Meanwhile he is a walking target for a year. Need something more
>> rapid.
>
> Simple force multipliers- steel-toed shoes are an easy one; gloves, a
> leather coat for protection.
> Simple posture weapons; hands up, chin down, power off the rear, align your
> skeleton. Elbows for close work, knees, stomps- some kicks with those new
> steel-toed shoes. Headbutts are good- make them a function of the stance.
> Some little chachka to hang on to- I always liked Bic pens. Just a little
> something gives a man more confidence in the efficacy of his hits.
> A cane is not too cumbersome to carry- if a knife, make it really
> unobtrusive- like a 3 in. blade with a 6 in. hilt, hardwood and tool steel.
> I like a cheap fish filleting knife- bright yellow plastic body with a thin
> blade- it's not like I care if it lasts two fights or gets lost.

OK, nice ideas there.
--
BOFH excuse #354:

Chewing gum on /dev/sd3c


28 Feb 2007 21:16:28
Herbert Cannon
Re: My postman


"Mark Goldberg" <msgoldberg@optonline.net > wrote in message
news:jWpFh.38$XI4.34@newsfe12.lga...
> Herbert Cannon wrote:
>
>>>And I think he should always carry a taser and mace whist he's
>>>working.
>>
>>
>> Good thoughts. I am not sure he would be allowed a taser; but a knife is
>> probably not frowned upon.
>
> Then don't announce you have a taser. He's a nice man. Make sure he
> doesn't be all that honest about carrying one.

Good suggestion.




01 Mar 2007 11:51:02
xiaou2
Re: My postman

"Herbert Cannon" <hcannon18@cox.net > wrote in
news:eKoFh.361482$qy.84319@newsfe16.lga:

>
> "Chas" <chasclements@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:evednXgVi5OHlnjYnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@comcast.com...
>> "Herbert Cannon" <hcannon18@cox.net> wrote
>>>> And I think he should always carry a taser and mace whist he's
>>>> working.
>>> Good thoughts. I am not sure he would be allowed a taser; but a
>>> knife is probably not frowned upon.
>>
>> Sounds like 'dog spray' and a 'boxcutter' kerampit are a natural.
>>
>> Chas
>
> Good suggestions!!
>
>
>

What about "Slick Shoes"
, "Boobie Blinders" ,
and "Pincers of Pow? " ? :P :)



(Goonies)


01 Mar 2007 05:53:10
Renli
Re: My postman

On Mar 1, 7:51 pm, xiaou2 <xia...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> "Herbert Cannon" <hcanno...@cox.net> wrote innews:eKoFh.361482$qy.84319@newsfe16.lga:
>
>
>
>
>
> > "Chas" <chascleme...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >news:evednXgVi5OHlnjYnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@comcast.com...
> >> "Herbert Cannon" <hcanno...@cox.net> wrote
> >>>> And I think he should always carry a taser and mace whist he's
> >>>> working.
> >>> Good thoughts. I am not sure he would be allowed a taser; but a
> >>> knife is probably not frowned upon.
>
> >> Sounds like 'dog spray' and a 'boxcutter' kerampit are a natural.
>
> >> Chas
>
> > Good suggestions!!
>
> What about "Slick Shoes"
> , "Boobie Blinders" ,
> and "Pincers of Pow? " ? :P :)
>
> (Goonies)

that would be bully blinders and pinchers of pain.

I've seen the movie 36 times - once for every chamber.

-



01 Mar 2007 08:47:30
Sutemi
Re: My postman

On Feb 27, 10:41 pm, "Herbert Cannon" <hcanno...@cox.net > wrote:
> Hey this guy is out of shape and about 57 or 0r 58. Forget BJJ, Judo etc -
> it aint gonna happen with a guy this old and out of shape. Probably best he
> has a weapon of some kind and training to go with it.

The best idea is the one getting the least play: the gun. As I've aged
and watched my physicality wane, I've come to realize that unarmed
martial arts are recreation unless they're an adjunct to armed martial
arts. If this man was my father, I'd tell him to learn the gun. He can
achieve creditable proficiency in less time than any other of the
ideas being bandied about. The gun would require the least impact to
this dude's lifestyle and yield the highest result. Chas' ideas of
force multipliers-steel toe boots, a cane, a knife with minimal
training will also yield high results. Get him Chas' cane self defense
DVD.

This fellow is *not* going to restructure his life to "change his
body". I did Yoga with great pleasure and fair proficiency...seven
years ago. Today, it would kick my ass. BJJ is slowly taking it's
toll, and I *love* rolling. This fellow is fifteen years my senior,
the best he'd manage is to turn the clock back to 51. Thugs won't
square up with you, they'll shoot you while you're gassing up your car
and humming "the Girl from Ipenema" to yourself, then take your wallet
off your perforated ass. At best Yoga and Ballet might help speed his
recovery if he survives the shooting.




01 Mar 2007 10:58:38
Chas
Re: My postman

"Sutemi" <ericroessler@bellsouth.net > wrote
> The best idea is the one getting the least play: the gun. As I've aged
> and watched my physicality wane, I've come to realize that unarmed
> martial arts are recreation unless they're an adjunct to armed martial
> arts. If this man was my father, I'd tell him to learn the gun.

Few people are concerned with the gun itself, they're afraid of the legal
consequences of having one.
It's not really a 'security' question at that point, it's about 'civil
disobedience' or 'qualification requirements'.
Pistols work. You can deep-hide a pistol until the only thing that's going
to find it is a body-pat. If you don't get frisked very often, you can carry
a pistol with little worry. If you're not really a gunfighter, you can
choose a pistol that will 'carry' much more easily than a battle-pistol.
He could put a .22Mag North American Arms 5-shot revolver on a key-chain,
and be well-armed.
I taught a man to fly one time, using one.

Chas




01 Mar 2007 14:29:47
Scary
Re: My postman


>
> This fellow is *not* going to restructure his life to "change his
> body". I did Yoga with great pleasure and fair proficiency...seven
> years ago. Today, it would kick my ass. BJJ is slowly taking it's
> toll, and I *love* rolling. This fellow is fifteen years my senior.

I would imagine BJJ would improve your flexibility. Are you getting
injured a lot?
In my opinion there's no reason why you can't be in top form in your
30s and 40s if you train smartly.
Scary.








02 Mar 2007 12:09:26
Gernot Hassenpflug
Re: My postman

"Herbert Cannon" <hcannon18@cox.net > writes:

> "Wayne Dobson" <nospam@noaddress.com> wrote in message
> news:jrzFh.10508$I46.4930@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> "Herbert Cannon" <hcannon18@cox.net> wrote in message
>> news:MzrFh.108291$5F3.77708@newsfe14.lga...
>>>
>>> The best he could do is carry
>>>> some kind of sap maybe, that's not illegal, and use intimidation as
>>>> much as possible.
>>>
>>> The best he could do is learn to use a .45 auto in about two months. That
>>> is what I would do and I have already told him so.
>>
>> He needs to also do a self-defense program and get himself in shape. For
>> one thing, you tend not to think straight under pressure, when you're out
>> of shape.
>
> Last night the vermin that came up here from New Orleans walked up and
> shot our mayor's neighbor in his front yard killed and robbed him. That is
> what he is living around.

I agree, there's no doubt that if a gun is legal, he could carry one
and get a better deal than any other stop-gap solution. There's also
in my mind no doubt that this is still a stop-gap
solution. Self-defence and the underlying training is not an add-on to
the rest of a lazy or otherwise "busy" life, either you change your
body or you remain with the stop-gap solutions. No argument that
stop-gap might be very useful, but I don't agree that a gun is a
complete "solution" as you put it.
--
BOFH excuse #452:

Somebody ran the operating system through a spelling checker.


01 Mar 2007 19:51:26
Sutemi
Re: My postman

On Mar 1, 5:29 pm, "Scary" <modelmak...@msn.com > wrote:
> > This fellow is *not* going to restructure his life to "change his
> > body". I did Yoga with great pleasure and fair proficiency...seven
> > years ago. Today, it would kick my ass. BJJ is slowly taking it's
> > toll, and I *love* rolling. This fellow is fifteen years my senior.
>
> I would imagine BJJ would improve your flexibility. Are you getting
> injured a lot?
> In my opinion there's no reason why you can't be in top form in your
> 30s and 40s if you train smartly.
> Scary.

I just can't get to training enough. Life commitments won't allow me
more than twice a week and that's just not enough to really get a game
going. I took off for about eight months a year and a half ago, gained
fifteen pounds and when I went back to training (at a new school) it
was like a nightmare where I switched bodies with a fatter, inflexible
older man. I'm just coming to grips with my new body and building a
new game around my diminished speed and flexibility but increased
weight and strength. It's very slow going though, and while I'm not
really getting significantly injured per se, my joints, especially my
lower back and elbows seem to be...wearing out.

A third day a week might help but I just can't swing it right now.
It's been my observation that the older guys who train into their
forties and fifties have achieved a critical mass of skill that allows
them to roll lightly against younger, stronger opponents. I haven't
achieved that critical mass of skill yet and I'm beginning to despair
of ever reaching it before my body gives out. I tend to use strength
more now than before because I'm stronger than I was before. Fifteen
or even ten years ago, it wouldn't have been a big deal, but now it
takes it's toll.



01 Mar 2007 19:53:28
Sutemi
Re: My postman

On Mar 1, 12:58 pm, "Chas" <chascleme...@comcast.net > wrote:
> "Sutemi" <ericroess...@bellsouth.net> wrote
>
> > The best idea is the one getting the least play: the gun. As I've aged
> > and watched my physicality wane, I've come to realize that unarmed
> > martial arts are recreation unless they're an adjunct to armed martial
> > arts. If this man was my father, I'd tell him to learn the gun.
>
> Few people are concerned with the gun itself, they're afraid of the legal
> consequences of having one.
> It's not really a 'security' question at that point, it's about 'civil
> disobedience' or 'qualification requirements'.
> Pistols work. You can deep-hide a pistol until the only thing that's going
> to find it is a body-pat. If you don't get frisked very often, you can carry
> a pistol with little worry. If you're not really a gunfighter, you can
> choose a pistol that will 'carry' much more easily than a battle-pistol.
> He could put a .22Mag North American Arms 5-shot revolver on a key-chain,
> and be well-armed.

Ok Chas, your not going to make a statement like this:

> I taught a man to fly one time, using one.

without recounting the story are you? Could you be that cruel?



02 Mar 2007 13:16:31
Gernot Hassenpflug
Re: My postman

"Sutemi" <ericroessler@bellsouth.net > writes:

> On Feb 27, 10:41 pm, "Herbert Cannon" <hcanno...@cox.net> wrote:
>> Hey this guy is out of shape and about 57 or 0r 58. Forget BJJ, Judo etc -
>> it aint gonna happen with a guy this old and out of shape. Probably best he
>> has a weapon of some kind and training to go with it.
>
> The best idea is the one getting the least play: the gun. As I've aged

No argument, if guns are legal, that is it. I would not fool myself
that a gun makes empty-hand training irrelevant, for one thing he
cannot take a gun everywhere.

> This fellow is *not* going to restructure his life to "change his
> body". I did Yoga with great pleasure and fair proficiency...seven

Then he should not fool hiself that he will get a "solution" either,
he will get a stop-gap solution. And good for him, it is better than
nothing if it can reduce his risk by X %.

And for one more thing, if he is going to buy a gun, then he has no
choice but the restructure his life.

> years ago. Today, it would kick my ass. BJJ is slowly taking it's
> toll, and I *love* rolling. This fellow is fifteen years my senior,
> the best he'd manage is to turn the clock back to 51. Thugs won't
> square up with you, they'll shoot you while you're gassing up your car
> and humming "the Girl from Ipenema" to yourself, then take your wallet
> off your perforated ass. At best Yoga and Ballet might help speed his
> recovery if he survives the shooting.

Yes, that would help.

--
BOFH excuse #325:

Your processor does not develop enough heat.


01 Mar 2007 22:49:24
Scary
Re: My postman

On Mar 2, 2:51 pm, "Sutemi" <ericroess...@bellsouth.net > wrote:
> On Mar 1, 5:29 pm, "Scary" <modelmak...@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > > This fellow is *not* going to restructure his life to "change his
> > > body". I did Yoga with great pleasure and fair proficiency...seven
> > > years ago. Today, it would kick my ass. BJJ is slowly taking it's
> > > toll, and I *love* rolling. This fellow is fifteen years my senior.
>
> > I would imagine BJJ would improve your flexibility. Are you getting
> > injured a lot?
> > In my opinion there's no reason why you can't be in top form in your
> > 30s and 40s if you train smartly.
> > Scary.
>
> I just can't get to training enough. Life commitments won't allow me
> more than twice a week and that's just not enough to really get a game
> going. I took off for about eight months a year and a half ago, gained
> fifteen pounds and when I went back to training (at a new school) it
> was like a nightmare where I switched bodies with a fatter, inflexible
> older man. I'm just coming to grips with my new body and building a
> new game around my diminished speed and flexibility but increased
> weight and strength. It's very slow going though, and while I'm not
> really getting significantly injured per se, my joints, especially my
> lower back and elbows seem to be...wearing out.
>
> A third day a week might help but I just can't swing it right now.
> It's been my observation that the older guys who train into their
> forties and fifties have achieved a critical mass of skill that allows
> them to roll lightly against younger, stronger opponents. I haven't
> achieved that critical mass of skill yet and I'm beginning to despair
> of ever reaching it before my body gives out. I tend to use strength
> more now than before because I'm stronger than I was before. Fifteen
> or even ten years ago, it wouldn't have been a big deal, but now it
> takes it's toll.

My knees got a much worse beating when I did Aikido.
In BBJ I've broken fingers, toe's and got poked in the eye which has
left a permanent floater.
Still I've got a lot of pretty medals and won lots of protean powder!

Scary.



02 Mar 2007 08:04:01
Chas
Re: My postman

"Sutemi" <ericroessler@bellsouth.net > wrote
>> I taught a man to fly one time, using one.
> without recounting the story are you? Could you be that cruel?

I got home from a gun-show one night, decided to walk a few blocks to a
restaurant- Sunday night, deserted downtown.
As I'm walking, I become aware of a lot of hollerin'- it's this homeless
guy, castigating his reflection in the store windows. As I walk, he becomes
aware of me, and now he's hollering at me- and getting closer.
As he gets closer, I stop and look at him, he stops. As I turn away from
him, he starts again, getting closer and closer- really agitated, calling me
names, threatening me. I stop, he stops- I continue, he's choking up on me
and getting more agitated.
He finally got within about 8 or 10 ft., getting really agitated and
threatening- not listening to me to leave me alone, so I reach in my shirt
pocket, put out the little .22Mag, and torch it off- loud report, big ball
of flame-
He rises into the air about 5 ft., moves *sideways* about 6 ft or so, and
when he hits the ground, it's with his legs already churning.
I'd never seen a man 'fly' sideways like that- bet he loaded up his jeans
too.

Chas

Chas




02 Mar 2007 17:24:58
Sutemi
Re: My postman

On Mar 2, 10:04 am, "Chas" <chascleme...@comcast.net > wrote:
> "Sutemi" <ericroess...@bellsouth.net> wrote
>
> >> I taught a man to fly one time, using one.
> > without recounting the story are you? Could you be that cruel?
>
> I got home from a gun-show one night, decided to walk a few blocks to a
> restaurant- Sunday night, deserted downtown.
> As I'm walking, I become aware of a lot of hollerin'- it's this homeless
> guy, castigating his reflection in the store windows. As I walk, he becomes
> aware of me, and now he's hollering at me- and getting closer.
> As he gets closer, I stop and look at him, he stops. As I turn away from
> him, he starts again, getting closer and closer- really agitated, calling me
> names, threatening me. I stop, he stops- I continue, he's choking up on me
> and getting more agitated.
> He finally got within about 8 or 10 ft., getting really agitated and
> threatening- not listening to me to leave me alone, so I reach in my shirt
> pocket, put out the little .22Mag, and torch it off- loud report, big ball
> of flame-
> He rises into the air about 5 ft., moves *sideways* about 6 ft or so, and
> when he hits the ground, it's with his legs already churning.
> I'd never seen a man 'fly' sideways like that- bet he loaded up his jeans
> too.

I *knew* I'd be glad I asked! : )



03 Mar 2007 09:32:32
Wayne Dobson
Re: My postman

"Herbert Cannon" <hcannon18@cox.net > wrote in message
news:dS6Fh.7382$qr5.6263@newsfe19.lga...
> Hey this guy is out of shape and about 57 or 0r 58. Forget BJJ, Judo etc -
> it aint gonna happen with a guy this old and out of shape. Probably best
> he has a weapon of some kind and training to go with it.

The guy needs to get in shape. 58 is no excuse. If he eats right, sleeps
right, isn't clinically depressed and trains right, he'll get much stronger.
If he learns how to better use his body, he'll learn how to better use his
gun. Furthermore, training helps remove a victim mentality.

--
AKA "Dobbie The House Elf"




03 Mar 2007 17:55:00
Herbert Cannon
Re: My postman


Furthermore, training helps remove a victim mentality.

I am always appalled at that so few people are able to take care of
themselves in simple situations and do not have the initiative to learn how
to do so and the courage to stand up for themselves. It is bigger problem
than you think.




03 Mar 2007 18:22:20
RTWdesigns@earthlink.net
Re: My postman

Herb, tell the guy to consider tai chi....this will get him back in
touch w/ his body, and priming his mind to wrap around a slow physical
routine of movements where hopefully he can transfer to something a
little more external. In meantime, tell him to search out self defense
seminars / classes where the instruction is around increasing self
awareness and passing along of some simple techniques that can
facilitate his hopefully quick escape.

If there's a good tai chi teacher to be found in your neck of the
woods, perhaps he could learn some of the 'martial' aspects of tai
chi. RTW