31 Mar 2006 09:07:15
sergeyvonk
showering technique questions

Hello everybody out there!

I'm a solid 3 ball juggler :) (I know, I know - that may be considered
funny here!) and now I'm taking 4 balls. For today I can do different 4
siteswap shape distortions, (44) of different types, (4x4x) wimpys of any
type, 53 half-shower style and crossing, 71 shower. I'm trying mills mess
with 4 balls and can do several loops for today.

But I have some problems:
1) I can do 200 rolling in, but only 20 rolling out async! I don't know
how to correct myself: I'm falling from sync to async back and forth and I
can't hold a rhytm;
2) I can do async shower for 20 max throws. Recently I've tried sync
shower and averaged 12 throws easily. Which showering technique is used
for 4 and 5 balls? Which way is better/convenient to juggle: I haven't
seen a juggling video using async pattern (too high), but it is natural to
do async style shower at least with 4 balls (more balls in the air). Which
style is more appropriate for practice/performance/tricks;
3) My last basic problem is how to accomodate to siteswap throws to
different heights? It is really easy on the video but it is 1000 times
exaggerated when you are doing an easy 531 with your own hands! How can
one practice basic high throws (but not throwing a single ball self or to
the other hand n-high as a deranged) and are there more or less basic
siteswaps?

If my more experienced friends like to offer some help I'd really
appreciate it and share wisdom among my juggler friends.

In 13 ball flash we trust,
Respectfully,
Serge

----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



31 Mar 2006 09:43:55
Guy G
Re: showering technique questions

sergeyvonk wrote:
> Hello everybody out there!

Morning!

> I'm a solid 3 ball juggler :) (I know, I know - that may be considered
> funny here!) and now I'm taking 4 balls. For today I can do different 4
> siteswap shape distortions, (44) of different types, (4x4x) wimpys of any
> type, 53 half-shower style and crossing, 71 shower. I'm trying mills mess
> with 4 balls and can do several loops for today.

Sounds like you're not bad with 4 either,

> But I have some problems:
> 1) I can do 200 rolling in, but only 20 rolling out async! I don't know
> how to correct myself: I'm falling from sync to async back and forth and I
> can't hold a rhytm;

Really? Most people would find that rolling in is harder than rolling
out (due to the fact that rolling out is the basic pattern which they
learn first). Either way, if you're changing from synch to asynch, then
either your dwell times are messed up, or your throw heights are
different from different hands. It's probably a combination of the two.
The only advice I'd give is to try and identify the problem, and
practice more. Also, practising to music with a strong beat can
sometimes help rhythm problems.

> 2) I can do async shower for 20 max throws. Recently I've tried sync
> shower and averaged 12 throws easily. Which showering technique is used
> for 4 and 5 balls? Which way is better/convenient to juggle: I haven't
> seen a juggling video using async pattern (too high), but it is natural to
> do async style shower at least with 4 balls (more balls in the air). Which
> style is more appropriate for practice/performance/tricks;

They're different tricks really. If you refer to the 4-ball shower,
it's generally taken to mean asynch (i.e. 71). 53 and (6x,2x) are
normally[1] called half showers. As for which is most appropriate, it
depends on what you want to do. If I were you, I'd learn whichever
seems easier, and then move on to the harder one. There's tricks you
can do with both.

> 3) My last basic problem is how to accomodate to siteswap throws to
> different heights? It is really easy on the video but it is 1000 times
> exaggerated when you are doing an easy 531 with your own hands! How can
> one practice basic high throws (but not throwing a single ball self or to
> the other hand n-high as a deranged) and are there more or less basic
> siteswaps?

If you want to practice high throws without just throwing a single high
throw, then pick a siteswap and throw it into the basic pattern. Eg. to
practice 5s, some examples would be:

...333 531 333...
...333 4 515151 2 333...
...444 53 444...
...444 552 444...
...444 5551 444...
...444 55550 444...

You get the idea?
As for basic siteswaps, there's loads, but there's some more common
ones, which I think are probably:
3 Balls:
423
441
531
51
7131

3 Balls, standard practice for 5 balls:
52512
50505
55500

4 Balls:
53
534
633
7531 (?)

Others that I like are:
12345
51414
7441 (and 74414 for the symmetrical pattern)

I would also recommend trying 441 and 531 in a Mills Mess pattern. The
first throw of each is easiest to do on the U-ball throw.

> If my more experienced friends like to offer some help I'd really
> appreciate it and share wisdom among my juggler friends.
>
> In 13 ball flash we trust,
> Respectfully,
> Serge

Guy

[1] In my experience anyway.


31 Mar 2006 10:23:57
Leeroy
Re: showering technique questions

I also noticed the problem of unwanted async to sync changes when I
started to juggle 4 balls and so did other jugglers at this level.
Basically it's very important to concentrate on your throws. If it helps
try to find music with a good rythm to practise your async fountain.

There aren't really "basic" siteswaps. If you start juggling everyone of
them seems hard ;)
According to Guy G: he is right with things like 552 or 5551 for learning
5 ball cascade. This also works with several siteswaps. There are often
siteswaps with less objects that have the same throws as the one you want
to practise. I.e. for 744 you can practise 7441 with both hands.

Btw, you said you can do mills mess a bit. So you seem to have a good
rythm (important for mm) and it's just a problem of holding it for a
longer time.

andi

----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



31 Mar 2006 11:18:13
sergeyvonk
Re: showering technique questions

Thank you guys!

Sorry about failing to write you any more - I have some business to do for
now: fight gravity, breaking of habits, mind restructuring - in ascending
complexity order! Anyway, I need to buy some rhytmical music to train
further.
Do you have some advice on this?

For now I'll have my juggling plans occupied for much time, thanx!

See you later,
luck in juggling,
Serge

----== posted via www.jugglingdb.com ==----



31 Mar 2006 11:23:19
Guy G
Re: showering technique questions

sergeyvonk wrote:
> Thank you guys!
>
> Sorry about failing to write you any more - I have some business to do for
> now: fight gravity, breaking of habits, mind restructuring - in ascending
> complexity order! Anyway, I need to buy some rhytmical music to train
> further.
> Do you have some advice on this?

Something you like, that's the right speed for your 4 ball juggling. It
really depends on what you like.

> For now I'll have my juggling plans occupied for much time, thanx!
>
> See you later,
> luck in juggling,
> Serge