14 Jul 2004 09:12:56
Ken Oaf
Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage

Game show fans in a spin as Nine goes in to bat for Warne

By Ben Cubby
July 14, 2004

Shane Warne equalled the world record for taking Test wickets last night, but
cricket fans were being treated to Larry Emdur and The Price Is Right.

Channel Nine had guessed the match against Sri Lanka was "dribbling into a
draw", and switched its telecast to the game show at 5pm.

The Nine switchboard went into meltdown, as irate fans rang to demand the match
be shown.

After three minutes of Emdur, the Australian wicket keeper, Adam Gilchrist, made
his move, stumping Sri Lanka's Upal Chandana to hand Warne his 527th Test
wicket.

Nine's chief executive, David Gyngell, straight away switched the broadcast back
to the celebrating Australians.

Immediately the Nine switch lit up again - only this time it was angry Emdur
fans clamouring for a return to the game show.

"In that situation you're damned if you do and damned if you don't," said a Nine
spokesman, David Hurley.

"There were as many people whingeing about The Price Is Right as about the
cricket.

"We were still getting complaints at 6pm."

Mr Hurley said the station had thought the match, taking place in Cairns, was
petering out.

"It was discussed at the time; it was just one of those decisions that had to be
made."

Four staff answering phones in Nine's Sydney office received more than 100 calls
after 5pm.

Warne's seventh wicket of the match brought him level with Sri Lanka's Muttiah
Muralitharan.

Channel Nine last night refused to apologise for missing one of Australian
sport's greatest moments.

http://smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/13/1089694361734.html




13 Jul 2004 23:32:55
Trapper
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage


"Ken Oaf" <tipsy@beerlover.com.au > wrote in message
news:81r8f0phf9l2o46ls3mcbnuf5eib319ggm@4ax.com...
> Game show fans in a spin as Nine goes in to bat for Warne

Doesn't Cricket Australia have a contract with Ch 9 to make
them show matches in their entirety. I am really surprised
at how easily Ch 9 cuts off from Cricket matches (based on
the postings from Aussies)




14 Jul 2004 09:41:19
mudguts
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage

"Trapper" <me@my-deja.nospamcom > wrote in message
news:Hi_Ic.82112$Oq2.2132@attbi_s52...
>
> "Ken Oaf" <tipsy@beerlover.com.au> wrote in message
> news:81r8f0phf9l2o46ls3mcbnuf5eib319ggm@4ax.com...
> > Game show fans in a spin as Nine goes in to bat for Warne
>
> Doesn't Cricket Australia have a contract with Ch 9 to make
> them show matches in their entirety. I am really surprised
> at how easily Ch 9 cuts off from Cricket matches (based on
> the postings from Aussies)

As we know, Ch9 do not have an email address to send protest to and
obviously hide behind that. However, I feel that complaining to Ch9 would in
the end be a waste of time. I think it would be much better and more to the
point if complaints about Ch9 were sent to Cricket Australia who obviously
hand out the contracts, possibly c.c. it also to the Australian Broadcasting
Authority.

Cheers

Muddy




14 Jul 2004 00:01:32
Stephen Oakes
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage


"Ken Oaf" <tipsy@beerlover.com.au > wrote...
> "In that situation you're damned if you do and damned if you don't," said
a Nine
> spokesman, David Hurley.

..thereby showing that they just don't understand the problem. What a bunch
of arseholes.

--
Stephen Oakes




14 Jul 2004 01:38:32
Cicero
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage

> "There were as many people whingeing about The Price Is Right as about the
> cricket.
>
> "We were still getting complaints at 6pm."


Who really cares what the morons who watch The Price Is Right feel (I almost
used the word think).




14 Jul 2004 12:39:09
Wombat
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage

Stephen Oakes wrote:
> "Ken Oaf" <tipsy@beerlover.com.au> wrote...
>> "In that situation you're damned if you do and damned if you don't,"
>> said a Nine spokesman, David Hurley.
>
> ..thereby showing that they just don't understand the problem. What
> a bunch of arseholes.

No, I think the following say more about them not understanding the problem:


# Mr Hurley said the station had thought the match, taking place in
# Cairns, was petering out.
#
# "It was discussed at the time; it was just one of those decisions
# that had to be made."

No, Mr Hurley, the decision that has to be made is that if you buy the
rights to show the cricket, then you bloody well show the cricket!


# Channel Nine last night refused to apologise for missing one of
# Australian sport's greatest moments.

No surprise there - rugby league supporters may recall Kerry Packer's
response to Peter Frilingos when asked about Nein's pathetic rugby league
coverage - "Buy your own TV station!"

By the way, David Hurley was also responsible for that wonderful piece of
reporting where Nein sent a helicopter into the Kimberleys to rescue a guy
lost for days in the wilderness. What did Nein do when they found him? Got
him to wander around looking lost a little bit longer for the cameras (food,
medical treatment etc could wait until they got their pictures!)

Yes, Mr Hurley, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Wombat

--




14 Jul 2004 12:43:32
rob moody
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage


"Cicero" <moofie.cicero@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:s80Jc.178$K53.110@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> > "There were as many people whingeing about The Price Is Right as about
the
> > cricket.
> >
> > "We were still getting complaints at 6pm."
>
>
> Who really cares what the morons who watch The Price Is Right feel (I
almost
> used the word think).

they can show pre-recorded shit any time, at least give us highights of the
cricket to make up for the crap live coverage.






14 Jul 2004 04:26:19
Geoffrey Ritch
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage


" > As we know, Ch9 do not have an email address to send protest to and
> obviously hide behind that. However, I feel that complaining to Ch9 would
in
> the end be a waste of time. I think it would be much better and more to
the
> point if complaints about Ch9 were sent to Cricket Australia who obviously
> hand out the contracts, possibly c.c. it also to the Australian
Broadcasting
> Authority.

I spent close to an hour on the phone to channel 9 in Brisbane in the
morning and they assured me that they would monitor the game and if it
looked like there was going to be a result or a world record they promised
not to switch to the price is shite. Credit where its due they didnt, at
least not in Brisbane. During this hour on the phone i was transferred to
the wide world of sports dept in Sydney and they gave me this e mail address
wwwos@nine.com.au if i wanted to complain. complaints should be marked for
the attention of Gary Senton if you prefer you can also write to the same
person at 24 Artarmon Rd WilloughbyNSW 2068. I complain every single time
they cut the cricket short regardless of whether there is going to be a
result or a record broken or not. I complain by phone at first and then in
writing now i will also complain to the above e mail address i also copy my
complaints to cricket australia. I urge every single one of you do do the
same. Cricket Australia must surely be concerned by the very fact that nine
even considered showing some pre recorded junk gameshow rather than
broadcast live cricket history in the making, there should never have been
any doubt as to what would go to air.




14 Jul 2004 14:36:10
rob moody
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage


nice work mate, thank a lot. i also ring and complain- have been doing so
for years, every time they cut the cricket short. i've written once, but i
liked being nasty on the phone, it seemed to make more of an impact, but
alas nothing happened anyway .

bring back ABC.....


> I spent close to an hour on the phone to channel 9 in Brisbane in the
> morning and they assured me that they would monitor the game and if it
> looked like there was going to be a result or a world record they promised
> not to switch to the price is shite. Credit where its due they didnt, at
> least not in Brisbane. During this hour on the phone i was transferred to
> the wide world of sports dept in Sydney and they gave me this e mail
address
> wwwos@nine.com.au if i wanted to complain. complaints should be marked
for
> the attention of Gary Senton if you prefer you can also write to the same
> person at 24 Artarmon Rd WilloughbyNSW 2068. I complain every single
time
> they cut the cricket short regardless of whether there is going to be a
> result or a record broken or not. I complain by phone at first and then in
> writing now i will also complain to the above e mail address i also copy
my
> complaints to cricket australia. I urge every single one of you do do the
> same. Cricket Australia must surely be concerned by the very fact that
nine
> even considered showing some pre recorded junk gameshow rather than
> broadcast live cricket history in the making, there should never have been
> any doubt as to what would go to air.
>
>




14 Jul 2004 04:45:14
Geoffrey Ritch
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage


> > > "There were as many people whingeing about The Price Is Right as about
> the
> > > cricket.
> > >
> > > "We were still getting complaints at 6pm."
> >
> >
> > Who really cares what the morons who watch The Price Is Right feel (I
> almost
> > used the word think).
>
> they can show pre-recorded shit any time, at least give us highights of
the
> cricket to make up for the crap live coverage.

For me it simply beggers belief that there are people who would rather watch
the price is shite than watch their country compete in any sport let alone
be so concerned by missing this important show that they would be inclined
to ring up and complain about it. According to nine the ratings suggest
that it is a popular show and deserves this prime time viewing slot, if this
is true it is indeed a very sad reflection on the education system in this
country.




14 Jul 2004 06:38:08
Geoffrey Ritch
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage

Guys i put the wrong e mail address it should be wwos@nine.com.au




14 Jul 2004 09:49:39
Jeff Cook
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage

Well, I've sent my email to Gary Senton at None (which is how much viewing
will be Channel 9 on my TV in future).

I'm also going to contact Nine's major advertisers to explain why I won't be
watching them ever again. If there are enough people who not only contact
Nine but also contact their sponsors, maybe... just maybe... we can make a
difference. Doubtful, but I'm going to give it a shot.

I'll probably put together a Channel Nine hate web site and publicise all of
the crap that has brought me to this point. If any of you out there feel
strongly about this (I can't believe I had to say that), we should make it a
group effort. Even if all we manage to do is have some of Nine's sponsors
contact them after they hear from enough of us, it may make the bastards
think twice next time.


Jeff




14 Jul 2004 10:18:48
Cicero
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage


"Jeff Cook" <someone@microsoft.com > wrote in message
news:Tk7Jc.805$K53.342@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Well, I've sent my email to Gary Senton at None (which is how much viewing
> will be Channel 9 on my TV in future).
>
> I'm also going to contact Nine's major advertisers to explain why I won't
be
> watching them ever again. If there are enough people who not only contact
> Nine but also contact their sponsors, maybe... just maybe... we can make a
> difference. Doubtful, but I'm going to give it a shot.
>
> I'll probably put together a Channel Nine hate web site and publicise all
of
> the crap that has brought me to this point. If any of you out there feel
> strongly about this (I can't believe I had to say that), we should make it
a
> group effort. Even if all we manage to do is have some of Nine's sponsors
> contact them after they hear from enough of us, it may make the bastards
> think twice next time.


Does anyone remember the Sidchrome add? About 20 years ago now when
Australia and England were heading for a tight finish to a Test match and
Border and Thommo were together for Australia? An add for Sidchrome spanners
was put on air and we missed the final wicket as England won.

I just mention this to remind everyone that it is nothing new. And nothing
that will be reversed.




14 Jul 2004 12:56:44
Stephen Oakes
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage


"Jeff Cook" <someone@microsoft.com > wrote...
> I'm also going to contact Nine's major advertisers to explain why I won't
be
> watching them ever again.

Hmm...I may actually be able to help here. I was planning on buying a Maax
spa. Maybe I'll let 'em know I've changed my mind. (As if their ads
weren't enough reason.)
--
Stephen Oakes




15 Jul 2004 07:16:40
David Male
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:18:48 GMT, "Cicero" <moofie.cicero@gmail.com >
wrote:

>Does anyone remember the Sidchrome add?
Sure do old fella...



14 Jul 2004 21:35:40
Jeff Cook
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage

"David Male" <spam@telstra.com > wrote in message
news:8l8bf0l71dpmal986kgmh4ahbfvjjuniuo@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:18:48 GMT, "Cicero" <moofie.cicero@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone remember the Sidchrome add?
> Sure do old fella...
>
Unfortunately I missed the Sidchrome ad. I also missed the cricket, but a
friend gave me his own commentary via the telephone. He was in regional
NSW, and the test cricket was still on the ABC for non-metro viewers back
then. Hence, no ads at all.

Nine has certainly changed the way cricket is televised, and mostly for the
better, but their attitude sucks. The technology is available to everyone;
it's just that Boofhead (as Sir Frank Packer used to call Kerry when he was
a kid) has more money than any other bastard in this country and can afford
to monopolise the cricket. There needs to be something put in place to
force stations who buy the rights to actually commit to what they have
bought and actually put it to air.

If anyone wants to join me in a campaign to change all this (buggered if I
know how yet), then email me on wankworldofsports@nerdshack.com. If we get
enough of us, we can be a thorn in Nine's side - a pebble in their
collective shoe - a right pain in their arse. Let's do it!!


Jeff




15 Jul 2004 08:10:39
David Male
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:35:40 GMT, "Jeff Cook" <someone@microsoft.com >
wrote:

>Boofhead (as Sir Frank Packer used to call Kerry when he was
>a kid) has more money than any other bastard in this country and can afford
>to monopolise the cricket.

Separate Packer from 9, he has done more than anyone on the planet to
get the game to the masses in a relatively enjoyable form, free from
most of the wooden headed old boys club that it was...

And Australian Golf became much poorer when they snubbed him
too...imagine, golf has to PAY Australian networks to put their product
on the airwaves...

The current fault lays squarely with programming at 9, and the
demographics of Australia...we really are a small nation, very limited
TV wise...no thanks to those govt dogs that implement and control the
meedja



14 Jul 2004 22:42:45
Jeff Cook
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage

"David Male" <spam@telstra.com > wrote in message
news:mgbbf01c2ej0i2imnvtq1nu02cg3rvmmd5@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:35:40 GMT, "Jeff Cook" <someone@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Boofhead (as Sir Frank Packer used to call Kerry when he was
> >a kid) has more money than any other bastard in this country and can
afford
> >to monopolise the cricket.
>
> Separate Packer from 9, he has done more than anyone on the planet to
> get the game to the masses in a relatively enjoyable form, free from
> most of the wooden headed old boys club that it was...
>
> And Australian Golf became much poorer when they snubbed him
> too...imagine, golf has to PAY Australian networks to put their product
> on the airwaves...
>
> The current fault lays squarely with programming at 9, and the
> demographics of Australia...we really are a small nation, very limited
> TV wise...no thanks to those govt dogs that implement and control the
> meedja
>

Point taken, David. It would have been Kerry who got the cricket back on,
thus upsetting legions of Larry Emdur fans...

Jeff




15 Jul 2004 17:00:39
dude
Re: Channel 9 and the Cricket coverage

: Does anyone remember the Sidchrome ad?

"Ya cannae hand a man a grander spanner!"