20 May 2007 07:04:55
Jack Linthicum
John Wayne, bodysurfer

Forget the placement of Balboa Pier inside the bay.

An injury curtailed his athletic career; Wayne would later note he was
too terrified of Jones' reaction to reveal the actual cause of his
injury, which was bodysurfing at the infamous "Wedge" off Balboa Pier
in Newport Beach. He lost his athletic scholarship and without funds,
had to leave school.

wikipedia John Wayne



21 May 2007 11:21:28
Mike Sullivan
Re: John Wayne, bodysurfer


"Jack Linthicum" <jacklinthicum@earthlink.net > wrote in message
news:1179669895.021367.49590@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> Forget the placement of Balboa Pier inside the bay.
>
> An injury curtailed his athletic career; Wayne would later note he was
> too terrified of Jones' reaction to reveal the actual cause of his
> injury, which was bodysurfing at the infamous "Wedge" off Balboa Pier
> in Newport Beach. He lost his athletic scholarship and without funds,
> had to leave school.

I wonder if it wasn't Bal Pier, not wedge. The jetty existed in the
20s when Marion Morrison was in college, but I believe it was the work
they did to the groins in the 1930s that gave it roughly its' current
shape which was well after Marion's college days.

Bal pier was where the tourist train stopped, that's likely to be
where the college kids got off and hung out. It was Johnny Weismuller's
hangout, the hotel by the pier there. Think he walked the
mile down there? Was it a named known spot in 1928 or so?

It's projection, the wedge is the popular named spot, anybody that's
ever bodysurfed in the vicinity of newport claims to have bodysurfed
the wedge.

When Marion told the story later, I'm sure it sounded cooler to
say he hurt himself at the wedge rather than the "B" street shorebreak,
and might have brought him some 'tough guy' compensation
for having pussyed out of WWII.

I wonder if he even bodysurfed the pier. It's a place where
you can be standing in waist deep water, a four foot set
can suck your feet out from you and chocolate thunder on
your ass without ever swimming a stroke.

Happened to my dad at Aptos, walking out of the surf
got thumped by a sand set and dislocated his shoulder.

"The Duck" was paid millions to be a poser, he just didn't stop
at the big screen.











21 May 2007 23:59:02
Turby
Re: John Wayne, bodysurfer

On Mon, 21 May 2007 11:21:28 -0700, "Mike Sullivan"
<sul@SNIPslac.stanford.edu > wrote:

>
>"Jack Linthicum" <jacklinthicum@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>news:1179669895.021367.49590@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
>> Forget the placement of Balboa Pier inside the bay.
>>
>> An injury curtailed his athletic career; Wayne would later note he was
>> too terrified of Jones' reaction to reveal the actual cause of his
>> injury, which was bodysurfing at the infamous "Wedge" off Balboa Pier
>> in Newport Beach. He lost his athletic scholarship and without funds,
>> had to leave school.
>
>I wonder if it wasn't Bal Pier, not wedge. The jetty existed in the
>20s when Marion Morrison was in college, but I believe it was the work
>they did to the groins in the 1930s that gave it roughly its' current
>shape which was well after Marion's college days.
>
>Bal pier was where the tourist train stopped, that's likely to be
>where the college kids got off and hung out. It was Johnny Weismuller's
>hangout, the hotel by the pier there. Think he walked the
>mile down there? Was it a named known spot in 1928 or so?

In Judge Gardner's book, The Art of Bodysurfing, he says it was August
of '26 when Wayne went out at Balboa Pier, took off on a wave and
landed on his shoulder. Of course, in those days, taking off meant
going straight off without fins. I tend to believe Gardner. And I'm
pretty sure the Wedge wasn't named until much later, at least the
40's.

--
Turby the Turbosurfer


22 May 2007 00:03:32
td
Re: John Wayne, bodysurfer

On Mon, 21 May 2007 11:21:28 -0700, "Mike Sullivan"
<sul@SNIPslac.stanford.edu > wrote:

>I wonder if it wasn't Bal Pier, not wedge. The jetty existed in the
>20s when Marion Morrison was in college, but I believe it was the work
>they did to the groins in the 1930s that gave it roughly its' current
>shape which was well after Marion's college days.
>
>Bal pier was where the tourist train stopped, that's likely to be
>where the college kids got off and hung out. It was Johnny Weismuller's
>hangout, the hotel by the pier there. Think he walked the
>mile down there? Was it a named known spot in 1928 or so?
>
>It's projection, the wedge is the popular named spot, anybody that's
>ever bodysurfed in the vicinity of newport claims to have bodysurfed
>the wedge.
>
>When Marion told the story later, I'm sure it sounded cooler to
>say he hurt himself at the wedge rather than the "B" street shorebreak,
>and might have brought him some 'tough guy' compensation
>for having pussyed out of WWII.
>
>I wonder if he even bodysurfed the pier. It's a place where
>you can be standing in waist deep water, a four foot set
>can suck your feet out from you and chocolate thunder on
>your ass without ever swimming a stroke.
>
>Happened to my dad at Aptos, walking out of the surf
>got thumped by a sand set and dislocated his shoulder.
>
>"The Duck" was paid millions to be a poser, he just didn't stop
>at the big screen.
>

Coupla weeks ago I shot the entire Wayne family as they gathered to
celebrate his 100th and reminisced. Didn't know that he body surfed
but from what I heard, this sounds a lot more like the truth. A real
BS'r the Duke was.

td


22 May 2007 01:42:10
Mike Sullivan
Re: John Wayne, bodysurfer


"Turby" <turbosurfer@beach.comber > wrote in message
news:ig4553dd6vpahgtr067fq4oee5hr5sbpgu@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 21 May 2007 11:21:28 -0700, "Mike Sullivan"
> <sul@SNIPslac.stanford.edu> wrote:

snip


> In Judge Gardner's book, The Art of Bodysurfing, he says it was August
> of '26 when Wayne went out at Balboa Pier, took off on a wave and
> landed on his shoulder. Of course, in those days, taking off meant
> going straight off without fins. I tend to believe Gardner. And I'm
> pretty sure the Wedge wasn't named until much later, at least the
> 40's.

I would sure take the Judge's word over my guesses
(which I'm 1 for two guessing he got hurt at the pier) However,
the Judge heard from the Duck's own mouth.

Having lived in Newport when Marion lived there and seen
him around town and on the bay, he had a larger-than-life
distance and awe to locals. They all thought he was a war
hero, stupid OC reich wingers, so no reason why they
didn't think he bsurfed like he said he did.

Gardner had a gossip column for decades in the Daily
Plot and everybody shined in it and was a hero to him.

But ppl are ppl, there's no reason a pussy wwII dodger
who later took up the cause of war mongering later
in life couldn't take off on a bal pier shorebreak in
1926 just a couple years after the real Duke popularized
it in the area.

What was that, Surff, print the legend?









22 May 2007 12:26:29
Jack Linthicum
Re: John Wayne, bodysurfer

On May 22, 3:03 am, td <tdun...@NOspectralSPAMmedia.com > wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2007 11:21:28 -0700, "Mike Sullivan"
>
>
>
> <s...@SNIPslac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> >I wonder if it wasn't Bal Pier, not wedge. The jetty existed in the
> >20s when Marion Morrison was in college, but I believe it was the work
> >they did to the groins in the 1930s that gave it roughly its' current
> >shape which was well after Marion's college days.
>
> >Bal pier was where the tourist train stopped, that's likely to be
> >where the college kids got off and hung out. It was Johnny Weismuller's
> >hangout, the hotel by the pier there. Think he walked the
> >mile down there? Was it a named known spot in 1928 or so?
>
> >It's projection, the wedge is the popular named spot, anybody that's
> >ever bodysurfed in the vicinity of newport claims to have bodysurfed
> >the wedge.
>
> >When Marion told the story later, I'm sure it sounded cooler to
> >say he hurt himself at the wedge rather than the "B" street shorebreak,
> >and might have brought him some 'tough guy' compensation
> >for having pussyed out of WWII.
>
> >I wonder if he even bodysurfed the pier. It's a place where
> >you can be standing in waist deep water, a four foot set
> >can suck your feet out from you and chocolate thunder on
> >your ass without ever swimming a stroke.
>
> >Happened to my dad at Aptos, walking out of the surf
> >got thumped by a sand set and dislocated his shoulder.
>
> >"The Duck" was paid millions to be a poser, he just didn't stop
> >at the big screen.
>
> Coupla weeks ago I shot the entire Wayne family as they gathered to
> celebrate his 100th and reminisced. Didn't know that he body surfed
> but from what I heard, this sounds a lot more like the truth. A real
> BS'r the Duke was.
>
> td

Then he fell off a bar stool? Common source of injury among ex-surfers.



22 May 2007 12:31:17
Jack Linthicum
Re: John Wayne, bodysurfer

On May 22, 2:59 am, Turby <turbosur...@beach.comber > wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2007 11:21:28 -0700, "Mike Sullivan"
>
>
>
> <s...@SNIPslac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> >"Jack Linthicum" <jacklinthi...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >news:1179669895.021367.49590@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> >> Forget the placement of Balboa Pier inside the bay.
>
> >> An injury curtailed his athletic career; Wayne would later note he was
> >> too terrified of Jones' reaction to reveal the actual cause of his
> >> injury, which was bodysurfing at the infamous "Wedge" off Balboa Pier
> >> in Newport Beach. He lost his athletic scholarship and without funds,
> >> had to leave school.
>
> >I wonder if it wasn't Bal Pier, not wedge. The jetty existed in the
> >20s when Marion Morrison was in college, but I believe it was the work
> >they did to the groins in the 1930s that gave it roughly its' current
> >shape which was well after Marion's college days.
>
> >Bal pier was where the tourist train stopped, that's likely to be
> >where the college kids got off and hung out. It was Johnny Weismuller's
> >hangout, the hotel by the pier there. Think he walked the
> >mile down there? Was it a named known spot in 1928 or so?
>
> In Judge Gardner's book, The Art of Bodysurfing, he says it was August
> of '26 when Wayne went out at Balboa Pier, took off on a wave and
> landed on his shoulder. Of course, in those days, taking off meant
> going straight off without fins. I tend to believe Gardner. And I'm
> pretty sure the Wedge wasn't named until much later, at least the
> 40's.
>
> --
> Turby the Turbosurfer

Plausible account of when the Wedge was created.

The Wedge is so named for the A-frame wave that occurs when smaller
waves rebound off the Newport West Jetty, collide with the next swell,
doubling it in size and creating thundering surf. Mainly a bodysurfing
and bodyboarding wave - thanks to the closeout death tube ending to
virtually every ride yards from the sand, The Wedge attracts hundreds
of spectators and many news crews every time a massive south swell
hits. This is usually in the late summer or early fall. Like a NASCAR
crowd, the people come for the crashes. And unfortunately, they get
them. As of 2002, it was believed The Wedge had claimed six lives,
paralyzed 30 people, and hospitalized thousands more. Not a place for
the novice.

This crusher of a wave was formed in the late 1920s when Newport
Harbor's west jetty was built (and extended to 2,830 feet in 1936).
But it wasn't until the 1950s that bodysurfers dared try to ride the
waves.

Probably the best known Wedge rider was Fred Simpson, who was the
first to use an arm-extended riding style (as opposed to piledriving
face first). This became known as "The Fred."

Ironically, the boardwalk-free beach fronting The Wedge, and those
just to the north, are probably the most empty in Newport. And while
it can be a little slow getting down the Peninsula, once there, free
parking is rarely a problem.
http://www.coastmagazine.com/archive/pre_dec05/feature/7.04_f2.html