25 Jul 2005 12:50:12
jeffca
my vacation post

It's been a while since my last visit to asr. I'm on vacation this week
so I decided, just for today, I'd look into what's new in rb land.
Should have gone to the beach. ha. I guess I haven't missed very much by
looking at the tiny backlog of posts. Whatsa matter, you all can't
entertain yourselves? ha.

The thing that struck my interest was a post, an introduction, on m&p
from Tim Davey. Read it. Tim plays at my old club now, Cedar Springs.

http://www.meetandplay.com/forum/Default.aspx?g=posts&f=36&t=5752

Now, I'm pretty sure Tim played in a couple of my tournaments when I was
running the program, so, I think we've met. As always, I really
appreciate people with enthusiasm and he seems to have that in spades.
I'm not at all concerned with his motivations, but that he's probably
going down the same deadend path as everyone else has. He's left behind
two clubs that didn't get him this excited, and he's moved to a club
that's got things happening, so NOW he's excited.

Same old, same old. Why were the other clubs not as exciting? Can't
figure that out? ...not yet?

The other two clubs will close courts to survive, as the local YMCA did
last summer, down to 3 courts now, from 4. I believe Tim played at that
Y too, before Premier (but I may be mistaken). His leaving the Y may
have caused them to close that court. Well, it's not that far-fetched,
is it? Not enough people using the courts is the only reason needed.

Anyway, Tim's enthusiasm seems genuine, and that's great, however, if it
is mis-guided, as I suspect it is, then that would not be so unusual in
this sport. Sigh!

Allow me to toot my own horn here for a minute. The junior program that
Tim's all excited about, was my creation. I started it with 4 juniors,
and built it to 50+ (active players) over the four years I was there.
It's down to 40 kids now??? Yikes! Actually, I'm really happy that my
successers were able to keep the juniors going. It survived. That's
great.

And a public congrats from me to a dedicated student, Ryan Smith, for
winning 18&under at Canadians. He was 12 when he joined the program.
Thankfully, I still have a winning record against Ryan, but that's the
only advantage I have over him now. ha. He got good fast and he's only
17 (18?) now, and so gets to defend the title next year. All the best to
him and to the other juniors at Cedar Springs.

Well, I'm not going to restart any old battles here. Let me just say
that Cedar Springs is an oasis in a proverbial desert for the sport.
I've known that all along. Do I feel bad for the neighbouring clubs?
Sure do, but what could I have done about it? They will either survive
now, or not. Cedar Springs will do its part to suck them dry of their
players. CS has benefitted in the past from nearby clubs closing, and
there's no doubt it will happen again. It's not the way 'growth' is
supposed to happen--that's just the way this sport is.

jeffca

08 Aug 2005 03:50:45
Spidey
Re: my vacation post

hey jeffca, sounds like theres gonna be an IRT prostop at Cedar Springs this
season ... sounds like a good time for you Canucks ... hope you can make it
and check out some pro play.

--
ProRacquetball.Net
http://www.ProRacquetball.Net