28 Jul 2004 09:35:48
VM

As of today, what's the status on adding racquetball as an Olympic
sport? I read somewhere (I think the international RB site) that it
would be added but it didn't go into much detail.
BTW, has anyone seen a poker commercial where they show some
synchronized swimming and at the bottom it says, "This is an Olympic
sport..."? And then they display a web address where people can show
their support. Maybe something like this can be considered for RB.
And I know this has been said millions and millions of times, but if
trampolining, walking, and cutting wood are olympic sports, there must
be a way we can add RB as a sport also.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

28 Jul 2004 19:58:36
dropshot99
Re: Status: racquetball in Olympics

Myersv writes.......

>As of today, what's the status on adding racquetball as an Olympic
>sport? I read somewhere (I think the international RB site) that it
>would be added but it didn't go into much detail.>

As for racquetball being entered as an Olympic sport, the chances of you
winning the Mega Lottery are better. Racquetball cannot not be observered
properly on the TV screen as it now stands. And TV is what the Olympic
organizers build their
promotion on. >

>BTW, has anyone seen a poker commercial where they show some
>synchronized swimming and at the bottom it says, "This is an Olympic
>sport..."? And then they display a web address where people can show
>their support.

I agree with you about synchronized swimming being an Olympic sport. Where's
the sport? Basically a ballet in the water. But here we go again, in that it is

very TV friendly. If racquetball is to become an Olympic sport, some
fundamental changes will have to happen:
1. The Courts will have to change from white to Tennis court green.
2. The ball will have to be about 33% bigger and bright yellow or orange in
color.
3. The racquet will have to return to under 18 inches in length.
Now you are saying, "that will slow the game down". Unfortunately or
fortunately
that is what the game will need for television broadcast.
Dropshot99

29 Jul 2004 06:49:53
rbqueen
Re: Status: racquetball in Olympics

The status of adding racquetball to the olympics is the same as it was
15 yrs. ago & that is, it will never happen in our lifetime!

myersv@excite.com (VM) wrote in message news:<73ad1961.0407280835.430bf41f@posting.google.com >...
> As of today, what's the status on adding racquetball as an Olympic
> sport? I read somewhere (I think the international RB site) that it
> would be added but it didn't go into much detail.
> BTW, has anyone seen a poker commercial where they show some
> synchronized swimming and at the bottom it says, "This is an Olympic
> sport..."? And then they display a web address where people can show
> their support. Maybe something like this can be considered for RB.
> And I know this has been said millions and millions of times, but if
> trampolining, walking, and cutting wood are olympic sports, there must
> be a way we can add RB as a sport also.
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.

29 Jul 2004 15:31:00
Jordan Kahn
Re: Status: racquetball in Olympics

From the Sports Illustrated CNN Website

IOC report proposes sport shakeup
LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) --

"The IOC board rejected applications of 14 sports seeking a spot in the
Olympics. Among those turned down were ballroom dancing, surfing, bowling,
bridge, chess, billiards, squash, water skiing and racquetball."

The revised program would go into effect at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

Baseball, softball and modern pentathlon have three months left to save their
sports from being dropped from the Olympics. Ballroom dancing, surfing and
bowling can forget trying to get into the games.

The International Olympic Committee executive board considered an internal
report Thursday proposing the biggest shakeup in the sports program of the
summer games.

The program commission recommends eliminating baseball, softball and modern
pentathlon, as well as events and disciplines in wrestling, equestrian, rowing,
sailing, canoe-kayak and others.

The report proposes adding golf and rugby -- on condition that the sports' top
athletes take part.

The executive board put off a decision on the proposals until its next meeting
in late November in Mexico City. The board will then make recommendations to
the full IOC session, meeting Nov. 26-29, for final approval.

Cutting sports requires a simple majority of the assembly of more than 120
members. A two-thirds majority is needed for adding sports.

*Read the complete article at:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/olympics/news/2002/08/29/ioc_report_ap/

Jordan

01 Aug 2004 01:36:49
VM
Re: Status: racquetball in Olympics

Thanks for the info.
Has anything changed from the time that article was published? Because in
the article it mentions that racquetball had already been rejected from the
2008 Olympics, but I recently read somewhere that there was still a slim
chance that it may be added. Still, how can they put racquetball in the same
category as bridge, billiards, and chess? Anything that can be done while
you eat should not be called a sport. And does anyone know how the IOC
determines if a sport will be added to the games? It can't be based solely
on TV stats because some games are never even broadcast on TV. And even if
it's based on how it will look on television, I've purchased several DVD's
and all the rallies look crystal clear.

We should take the same approach that Poker's taking by putting up a site
where people can show their support. It may not work, but it won't hurt
either! There must be a reason for them doing it!

They just can't ignore us forever!!!