24 Dec 2005 07:57:12
Joel
Pennsylvania and the USAR Plan to Certify Refs

1. I'm curious about how many people from this newsgroup are in PA. If
you are please drop me a line.

2. I waited (and waited) to see the minutes of the latest PRA board
meeting which are now posted at the PA site, to see if the Certified
Ref Program was accepted or voted down. I guess it wasn't even brought
up 'cause there isn't any mention of it.
They have however chosen, it seems, to begin to tack a small fee onto
tournament entries and then pay this amount to non-certified people who
will ref.
So in essence- tournament players now get charged a $5 fee to have what
may be a bad ref, ref their matches. This can't possibly be how the
planners of the ref's program envisioned it would be, can it?
J/PA

24 Dec 2005 20:13:54
the prez...
Re: Pennsylvania and the USAR Plan to Certify Refs

Joel writes:
> 1. I'm curious about how many people from this newsgroup are in PA. If
> you are please drop me a line.
>
> 2. I waited (and waited) to see the minutes of the latest PRA board
> meeting which are now posted at the PA site, to see if the Certified
> Ref Program was accepted or voted down. I guess it wasn't even brought
> up 'cause there isn't any mention of it.
> They have however chosen, it seems, to begin to tack a small fee onto
> tournament entries and then pay this amount to non-certified people who
> will ref.
> So in essence- tournament players now get charged a $5 fee to have what
> may be a bad ref, ref their matches. This can't possibly be how the
> planners of the ref's program envisioned it would be, can it?
> J/PA

No, it's not. It's about educating people and rewarding them for it. We use
to pay everyone $5 too. It didn't help anything other than not being as hard
to find a ref if you needed one.

Lynn