15 Jul 2004 07:28:42
Jay Mathis
Need some advice for a juniors program

We (the Georgia Racquetball Assoc.) were approached by the head of one
of the county school systems about trying to implement a racquetball
program for the all of the county middle schools. This person is a
former racquetball player and is very enthusiastic about the sport.

The possible audience is approximately 125,000 middle school aged
students. Apparantly, they have tried this program with several other
sports and have been very successful. The goal of this program is
teach the kids skills outside of the classrom to help develop social
skills and confidence.

They have asked us to put together some ideas about how best to
proceed. Initally, we will "teach the teachers" how to play
racquetball and they in turn will teach the students.

Clearly, this is a huge opportunity that we dont want to let slip
away.

Obvious hurdles:
Equipment - We are working on collecting old equipment from sponsored
(and non-sponsored) players to help get started and we are seeking
deals from the major manufacturers.

Facilities - How do we get places to play? There are not a lot free
public courts available. We are trying to seek deals with local clubs
by trying to show them that if they can capture the kid, then their
(paying) parents are more likely to join the club. We are tossing
around the idea of possibly setting up fake courts on 1-wall and
taping lines for the other walls.

Does anyone have any advice they could share with us or have any
experience with setting up similar programs?

15 Jul 2004 07:41:13
Steve Edwards
Re: Need some advice for a juniors program

Jay,

As you might know, Oregon has a fantastic juniors program, both junior and
high school. The best person to contact would be Bruce Reid, the OJRA
president. You can reach him at brucer at dprinc dot com.

Steve E.
Team E-Force

"Jay Mathis" <mathisjay@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> We (the Georgia Racquetball Assoc.) were approached by the head of one
> of the county school systems about trying to implement a racquetball
> program for the all of the county middle schools. This person is a
> former racquetball player and is very enthusiastic about the sport.
>
> The possible audience is approximately 125,000 middle school aged
> students. Apparantly, they have tried this program with several other
> sports and have been very successful. The goal of this program is
> teach the kids skills outside of the classrom to help develop social
> skills and confidence.
>
> They have asked us to put together some ideas about how best to
> proceed. Initally, we will "teach the teachers" how to play
> racquetball and they in turn will teach the students.
>
> Clearly, this is a huge opportunity that we dont want to let slip
> away.
>
> Obvious hurdles:
> Equipment - We are working on collecting old equipment from sponsored
> (and non-sponsored) players to help get started and we are seeking
> deals from the major manufacturers.
>
> Facilities - How do we get places to play? There are not a lot free
> public courts available. We are trying to seek deals with local clubs
> by trying to show them that if they can capture the kid, then their
> (paying) parents are more likely to join the club. We are tossing
> around the idea of possibly setting up fake courts on 1-wall and
> taping lines for the other walls.
>

> Does anyone have any advice they could share with us or have any
> experience with setting up similar programs?

15 Jul 2004 10:01:53
Kathy Geels
Re: Need some advice for a juniors program

HOW EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathy

In article <a16d2687.0407150628.73d8d9e6@posting.google.com >, Jay Mathis says...

>We (the Georgia Racquetball Assoc.) were approached by the head of one
>of the county school systems about trying to implement a racquetball
>program for the all of the county middle schools. This person is a
>former racquetball player and is very enthusiastic about the sport.
>
>The possible audience is approximately 125,000 middle school aged
>students. Apparantly, they have tried this program with several other
>sports and have been very successful. The goal of this program is
>teach the kids skills outside of the classrom to help develop social
>skills and confidence.
>
>They have asked us to put together some ideas about how best to
>proceed. Initally, we will "teach the teachers" how to play
>racquetball and they in turn will teach the students.
>
>Clearly, this is a huge opportunity that we dont want to let slip
>away.
>
>Obvious hurdles:
>Equipment - We are working on collecting old equipment from sponsored
>(and non-sponsored) players to help get started and we are seeking
>deals from the major manufacturers.
>
>Facilities - How do we get places to play? There are not a lot free
>public courts available. We are trying to seek deals with local clubs
>by trying to show them that if they can capture the kid, then their
>(paying) parents are more likely to join the club. We are tossing
>around the idea of possibly setting up fake courts on 1-wall and
>taping lines for the other walls.
>

>Does anyone have any advice they could share with us or have any
>experience with setting up similar programs?

Kathy Geels
Miami, FL

15 Jul 2004 11:44:51
Jay Mathis
Re: Need some advice for a juniors program

Thanks Steve!
I was hoping someone from Oregon would chime in since they have pretty
much set the standard for Juniors.

I will contact Bruce.

"Steve Edwards" <racquetballer@hotmail.com > wrote in message news:<10fd5sbf38n1s0c@corp.supernews.com>...
> Jay,
>
> As you might know, Oregon has a fantastic juniors program, both junior and
> high school. The best person to contact would be Bruce Reid, the OJRA
> president. You can reach him at brucer at dprinc dot com.
>
> Steve E.
> Team E-Force
>
> "Jay Mathis" <mathisjay@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > We (the Georgia Racquetball Assoc.) were approached by the head of one
> > of the county school systems about trying to implement a racquetball
> > program for the all of the county middle schools. This person is a
> > former racquetball player and is very enthusiastic about the sport.
> >
> > The possible audience is approximately 125,000 middle school aged
> > students. Apparantly, they have tried this program with several other
> > sports and have been very successful. The goal of this program is
> > teach the kids skills outside of the classrom to help develop social
> > skills and confidence.
> >
> > They have asked us to put together some ideas about how best to
> > proceed. Initally, we will "teach the teachers" how to play
> > racquetball and they in turn will teach the students.
> >
> > Clearly, this is a huge opportunity that we dont want to let slip
> > away.
> >
> > Obvious hurdles:
> > Equipment - We are working on collecting old equipment from sponsored
> > (and non-sponsored) players to help get started and we are seeking
> > deals from the major manufacturers.
> >
> > Facilities - How do we get places to play? There are not a lot free
> > public courts available. We are trying to seek deals with local clubs
> > by trying to show them that if they can capture the kid, then their
> > (paying) parents are more likely to join the club. We are tossing
> > around the idea of possibly setting up fake courts on 1-wall and
> > taping lines for the other walls.
> >

> > Does anyone have any advice they could share with us or have any
> > experience with setting up similar programs?

16 Jul 2004 03:51:08
dropshot99
Re: Need some advice for a juniors program

Dear Jay,
My first advise is not to let Otto get involved. He will try to tangle your
opportunuty into some kind of fund raiser for the USAR.Keep it simple, keep it
fun and you will be successful.
Dropshot99