11 Sep 2005 04:36:47
Jerry R
The Legend of Mountain Mike

Gather round now and hear the story of the legendary Mountain Mike.

I first came across the writings of Mountain Mike right here on ASP. I
believe it was in '99.

Mountain Mike claimed to be one of the original founders of ASP (along with
Sincerely Sam). To what extent his claims were true, I don't know (all is a
mystery). MM claimed to have been a highly decorated veteran chopper pilot
in Viet Nam. He died and arose from the dead to once again implore his
enemies to "blow him".

Im this thread I will recall my memories of MM. Those of you who know what
the heck I'm writing about can feel free to post your own MM stories, views,
etc.

I will begin with Part 1 in my next post to this thread, until then..buenas
noches damas y caballeros.

Jerry R

11 Sep 2005 09:15:07
sittingduck
Re: The Legend of Mountain Mike

Jerry R wrote:

> Gather round now and hear the story of the legendary Mountain Mike.
>
> I first came across the writings of Mountain Mike right here on ASP. I
> believe it was in '99.
>
> Mountain Mike claimed to be one of the original founders of ASP (along
> with Sincerely Sam). To what extent his claims were true, I don't know
> (all is a mystery). MM claimed to have been a highly decorated veteran
> chopper pilot in Viet Nam. He died and arose from the dead to once again
> implore his enemies to "blow him".
>
> Im this thread I will recall my memories of MM. Those of you who know
> what the heck I'm writing about can feel free to post your own MM
> stories, views, etc.
>
> I will begin with Part 1 in my next post to this thread, until
> then..buenas noches damas y caballeros.

I remember selling him a cue, and his review of it prompting a few others to do the same.
Some wanker (does that ryhme with Walkup?) accused him (or me?) of a conspiracy, and the thread that ensued was classic.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sport.pool/browse_thread/thread/ed39d60b9b493c39/e12934a071a50552?q=sheldon+cue+review&hl=en&

12 Sep 2005 11:11:25
Jerry R
Re: The Legend of Mountain Mike

Part 1: " The Gang of 10 & The Bozo Uprising"

This is all from my (often faulty) memory.

In the early part of 1998, RSB appeared to be a peaceful place where squirt,
physics, and other such topics were discussed, dissected and subjected to
scientific analysis. Mathematical formulae of ever increasing complexity
were developed by a contingent of highly gifted individuals with
backgrounds in physics, science, engineering, and mathematics (along with a
smattering of others who while not actually scientists, or mathematicians
did spend lots of night in Holiday Inns and were thus intellectually
prepared for the aforementioned discussions). To be sure, there were others
who discussed other more mundane (but on-topic) phenomena such as
techniques, equipment, the history of the cue sports and other things. But
all was not well in RSB land, and the calm was about to be shattered by a
rebellion.

A small contingent of individuals which would become variously known as "the
Bozos", "the Bozo 4", "the Bozo 6" (or sometimes 8), was gathering. The
Bozos felt that another faction (which was dubbed "The Gang of 10") saw
themselves as the
lords and masters of RSB and the final arbiters of what was and was not to
be accepted on RSB and they resented what they viewed as a stifling,
elitist, snobishness imposed on all by the GO10.

As best as I can recall, the GO10 consisted along with others, of Ed
Mercier, Ron Shepard, Bob Jewett, and Pat Johnson,( I do not recall who the
other six were, perhaps someone can refresh my memory).

The Bozo 4 consisted of Mountain Mike, Sincerely Sam, Jimbo, and Fred Agnir.

The leader of the Bozos was Mountain Mike. Mike and the other Bozos longed
for a place free of the restrictive atmosphere of RSB. A place were pool
players could come to and discuss pool, and anything else they wanted to.
ASP would be a more egalitarian forum, free of restriction and censorship, a
place for all who resented the control of the people MM called "elitist
liberal assholes". Fancying himself as a type of usenet Moses, MM led the
Bozos out of the land of Egypt (RSB) and into the promised land of ASP.

Next up Part II: MM and the burning bush, the tablets bearing the
commandments are received.

JerryR

12 Sep 2005 11:22:15
Jerry R

"sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com > wrote in message
> Jerry R wrote:
>
>> Gather round now and hear the story of the legendary Mountain Mike.

> I remember selling him a cue, and his review of it prompting a few others
> to do the same.
> Some wanker (does that ryhme with Walkup?) accused him (or me?) of a
> conspiracy, and the thread that ensued was classic.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sport.pool/browse_thread/thread/ed39d60b9b493c39/e12934a071a50552?q=sheldon+cue+review&hl=en&

LOL, yeah definitely a classic. :)

I think it was about that time that I recommended you to a team mate. His
name was Steve and he ordered a 60" cue from you. The cue was a 4 pointer
and he was very happy with it (although I had to question his choice of wood
and veneer for the points as they seemed too light and the veneer was barely
perceptible due to my friend's choice of color, but hell--he liked it and
that's what matters).

Jerry R

12 Sep 2005 23:40:37
pltrgyst
Re: The Legend of Mountain Mike

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:11:25 -0400, "Jerry R" <JRave@optonspamsucksline.net >
wrote:

>Part 1: " The Gang of 10 & The Bozo Uprising"

>.... Fancying himself as a type of usenet Moses, MM led the
>Bozos out of the land of Egypt (RSB) and into the promised land of ASP.
>
>Next up Part II: MM and the burning bush, the tablets bearing the
>commandments are received.

Clearly from the book of Revelations (part 2).

-- Larry (a big fan of Gary Glitter)

15 Sep 2005 19:49:00
Jerry R
Re: The Legend of Mountain Mike

Part II : Enter the Bozos: MM and the burning bush (the commandments are
handed down)

Prior to the Bozo Uprising, ASP had deteriorated to the point where, in
1997, Bob Jewett wrote this:

Bob Jewett Nov 14 1997, 4:00 am
Subject: This group is dead--11/14/97

This newsgroup has fallen into a rather sad state of disrepair.
It is filled mostly with ads for illicit delights, free money,
and other trash.

If you want to discuss pool, billiards and/or snooker please join
us over in the newsgroup rec.sport.billiard. If your service
provider doesn't have it, please request that they add it.

Bob Jewett

----- -----X----- -----X----- -----X----- -----X----- ----

Thus, it was into this wasteland that the Bozos arrived. Undaunted by the
magnitude of the task before them, the Bozos set out to create a new ASP. It
was just at this time that Mountain Mike embarked on a "vision quest" for
guidance as to how this new ASP should function.

After 12 hours in the sweat lodge he had built high atop his mountain
wilderness retreat, Mountain Mike began to have a vision of a flaming
George Bush Sr. At first MM was fearful, but the burning Bush Sr. turned his
gaze upon him and a wave of calmess engulfed the Mountain man. The Burning
Bush began to speak: "Mountain Mike, I am here to help you get ASP back.
Here is the floppy disk containing the ASP Commandments. Bring them to the
Bozos that they may rejoice. Oh, and Mike have you been to a shrink lately?
You do realize this is all a hallucination, may be you can get some
meds..well anyway I outta here!"

Mountain Mike was so excited by all that had just transpired that he let out
a blood curdling Indian war whoop and ran butt naked out of the sweat lodge
ran into his cabin. Once inside the cabin MM grabbed a couple of Valiums
and washed them down with a few healthy swigs of Tequila, then ran out of
the house and dove into an icy mountain creek. Thus prepared he went back
into his mountain cabin, donned his buckskin robe and sat down at his
computer to codify the rules of the new ASP.

The Birth Of Jungle Rules

"There is nobody setting the rules here. While there are various
conventions followed at most ng's, here our one common denominator is that
we love the game of pool (or billiards) in any form. That gives you the
right to talk about anything you want, and state your opinion to any post
without needing any seniority or credentials. How well received it is,
naturally, is based on what you say. For me, I hope to stick to debating an
issue without the childish behavior of attacking a person personally (name
calling, insulting their intelligence, etc). Also we encourage new readers
to post according to THEIR interest and not worry what any old-timers here
think. (There aren't any old timers)." -- Mountain Mike

Next up Part III: Happy Days (or the calm before the storm).

Jerry R

16 Sep 2005 17:57:21
Smorgass Bored
Re: The Legend of Mountain Mike

This is classic Sincerely Spam (and yours truly:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.billiard/browse_thread/thread/62beb06cd588cbcb/5104196e8d053db4?lnk=st&q=pins+map+group:rec.sport.billiard+author:SmorgassBored@webtv.net&rnum=1&hl=en

where have all the flowers gone...

Doug
~ >*(((>< Big fish eat Little fish ><)))*<~