09 Sep 2005 22:53:39
Sorackem
OT - Goodbye Brown

I was told tonight that FEMA Director Michael Brown has been fired.

No need for further investigations.

Carry on.

-B

09 Sep 2005 23:04:45
Sorackem
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

Sorackem <flint_stoned@nodcomcast.net > wrote in

> I was told tonight that FEMA Director Michael Brown has been fired.
>
> No need for further investigations.
>
> Carry on.
>
> -B

Ah, just now on the news; seems what I was told was not accurate.

It seems that he's just been told to step down from the Katrina disaster.

Too little, too late.

-B

10 Sep 2005 07:21:24
sittingduck
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

Sorackem wrote:

> I was told tonight that FEMA Director Michael Brown has been fired.
>
> No need for further investigations.

He got fired from his LAST job...

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=100857

10 Sep 2005 07:47:16
John W. Pierce
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

"sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com > wrote

> [Brown] got fired from his LAST job...

Yeah... when the rumor started that he'd been fired from FEMA 100,000
Arabians panicked :)
-- jwp

10 Sep 2005 09:14:33
Ron Shepard
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

In article <8cwUe.999$h02.570@tornado.texas.rr.com >,
"John W. Pierce" <jwpretd@yahoo.com > wrote:

> > [Brown] got fired from his LAST job...
>
> Yeah... when the rumor started that he'd been fired from FEMA 100,000
> Arabians panicked :)

Those would be Arabian horses, not Arabian people, right?

I doubt that Brown will be fired, that's not the way Bush runs
things. Instead of firing Condoleezza Rice for gross incompetence,
she was promoted to Secretary of State. So instead of firing Brown,
look for a promotion. I hear there is a Supreme Court seat open. :-)

$.02 -Ron Shepard <--could be wrong on this one, who knows?

10 Sep 2005 11:54:53
Donald Tees
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

Ron Shepard wrote:
> In article <8cwUe.999$h02.570@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
> "John W. Pierce" <jwpretd@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>>[Brown] got fired from his LAST job...
>>
>>Yeah... when the rumor started that he'd been fired from FEMA 100,000
>>Arabians panicked :)
>

> Those would be Arabian horses, not Arabian people, right?
>
> I doubt that Brown will be fired, that's not the way Bush runs
> things. Instead of firing Condoleezza Rice for gross incompetence,
> she was promoted to Secretary of State. So instead of firing Brown,
> look for a promotion. I hear there is a Supreme Court seat open. :-)
>
> $.02 -Ron Shepard <--could be wrong on this one, who knows?

Last night I saw a short interview with a New Oleans homeowner. The
camera crew caught him sweeping the area arround his home, and quiety
bagging garbage. He had half a dozen green garbage bags at the curb, and
was filling more.

As the camera panned the area, showing a dozen or more rescue workers
touring the area with machine guns, he said "if they put down the guns,
and picked up a broom, they might do some good".

It was probably the most powerfull statement about the storm I've heard
so far. Sums up my view of government, perfectly.

Donald

10 Sep 2005 12:22:00
Superseal
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

"Ron Shepard" <ron-shepard@NOSPAM.comcast.net > wrote in message
> In article <8cwUe.999$h02.570@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
> "John W. Pierce" <jwpretd@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> > [Brown] got fired from his LAST job...
>>
>> Yeah... when the rumor started that he'd been fired from FEMA 100,000
>> Arabians panicked :)
>
> Those would be Arabian horses, not Arabian people, right?
>
> I doubt that Brown will be fired, that's not the way Bush runs
> things. Instead of firing Condoleezza Rice for gross incompetence,
> she was promoted to Secretary of State. So instead of firing Brown,
> look for a promotion. I hear there is a Supreme Court seat open. :-)
>
> $.02 -Ron Shepard <--could be wrong on this one, who knows?

You are a perfect example of the democratic left that takes a national
tragedy and attempts to turn it into a political chastising. As a nation we
desperately need pulling together, while your comments do just the opposite.
Blame, where-ever it may fall, can and will come in the near future.

SS

10 Sep 2005 12:44:55
Ratchet
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

Donald Tees wrote:

> Last night I saw a short interview with a New Oleans homeowner. The
> camera crew caught him sweeping the area arround his home, and quiety
> bagging garbage. He had half a dozen green garbage bags at the curb, and
> was filling more.
>
> As the camera panned the area, showing a dozen or more rescue workers
> touring the area with machine guns, he said "if they put down the guns,
> and picked up a broom, they might do some good".
>
> It was probably the most powerfull statement about the storm I've heard
> so far. Sums up my view of government, perfectly.
>
> Donald

Thats what I meant in an earlier post , WE , not the Gov't, need to do
this , The gov't wastes to much time huffing and puffing running their
mouths and flexing their muskles and pointing fingers , In my mind the
average american jumps in where needed and gets the job done, also using
compassion and ingenuity it is what originally made this country great !
we need as citizens to show the gov't we are not the mindless cattle
they treat us like and are capable of fending for ourselves quite nicely
. The gov't.'s role should be to provide the financial,security and
medical resources as need and in our struggling economy the rest as they
say will take care of itself ...imo

Ratchet - common sense should always prevail ,not political morons...

11 Sep 2005 05:53:01
nineballslim
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

"Superseal" <superseal@optonline.net > wrote in message

> "Ron Shepard" <ron-shepard@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message

> >> Yeah... when the rumor started that he'd been fired from FEMA 100,000
> >> Arabians panicked :)
> >
> > Those would be Arabian horses, not Arabian people, right?
> >
> > I doubt that Brown will be fired, that's not the way Bush runs
> > things. Instead of firing Condoleezza Rice for gross incompetence,
> > she was promoted to Secretary of State. So instead of firing Brown,
> > look for a promotion. I hear there is a Supreme Court seat open. :-)
> >
> > $.02 -Ron Shepard <--could be wrong on this one, who knows?
>
> You are a perfect example of the democratic left that takes a national
> tragedy and attempts to turn it into a political chastising. As a nation
we
> desperately need pulling together, while your comments do just the
opposite.
> Blame, where-ever it may fall, can and will come in the near future.
>
> SS

that would make you a perfect example of the blindly naive who let this gang
of thugs
continue to pillage this country
Brown is a stooge who was told to stall while the faith-based groups got
their troops
and funding lined up. Cheny and the prez are poised to force these thinly
veiled
fundamentalists down the throat of people opposed to gvmnt funding of
religious fanatics who will have plenty of strings attached to any aid they
ever give,
once they have gained the power they are playing position on...
you must be dumb as a stump to not see this...
congratulations on passing the first test for Bush supporter

Slim

11 Sep 2005 06:28:07
sittingduck
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

nineballslim wrote:

> that would make you a perfect example of the blindly naive who let this
> gang of thugs
> continue to pillage this country
> Brown is a stooge who was told to stall while the faith-based groups got
> their troops
> and funding lined up. Cheny and the prez are poised to force these
> thinly veiled
> fundamentalists down the throat of people opposed to gvmnt funding of
> religious fanatics who will have plenty of strings attached to any aid
> they ever give,
> once they have gained the power they are playing position on...
> you must be dumb as a stump to not see this...
> congratulations on passing the first test for Bush supporter

Loot and pillage is right.... how many hundreds of billions will it take to
open their eyes? How many freedoms will they have to lose? How much harder
does it have to be for the majority to find a decent job? How long till the
LIES and spin the "liberal media" (yeah, right) finally become obvious to
idiots like this?

11 Sep 2005 11:14:14
Ron Shepard
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

In article <RKDUe.32944$YC1.2987@fe08.lga >,
"Superseal" <superseal@optonline.net > wrote:

> You are a perfect example of the democratic left that takes a national
> tragedy and attempts to turn it into a political chastising. As a nation we
> desperately need pulling together, while your comments do just the opposite.

My irony meter is pegged by that first sentence. Does anyone have
an irony meter that goes beyond 10 that can report the actual value?
:-)

You manage in two short sentences to falsely accuse me of being
divisive, and then you politically chastise the "democratic left"
by, get this, accusing them of political chastising.

I did not, and do not now, blame the "conservatives" for what
happened or for the poor government response. In fact, both
liberals and conservatives are placing blame on the same people, the
same policies, and on the same organizations, not all of whom are
Republicans. I think there are many failures in New Orleans
disaster, from local to state to federal levels. However, Harry
Truman had a sign on his desk when he was President, "The buck stops
here.". Ultimately, it is the Bush administration that is
responsible for the failure of the part of the government system
that represents me, and most of us here in ASP, in the response to
this disaster. The people who live in New Orleans can complain
about their mayor, and the people in the rest of the state can
complain about what their state did, and that leaves the rest of us
across the rest of the country to complain about the incompetence
displayed by our federal government.

If you want to see how all of this happened, do a google search on
"Joe Allbaugh". He was the original FEMA director in the Bush
administration who resigned in a storm of corruption. He got the
job in the first place because he was Bush's chief of staff when he
was governor in Texas. His college roomate was Michael Brown, the
current FEMA director (and the subject of this thread). That was
apparently his only qualification for his current position, he was
Allbaugh's college roommate and was willing to serve as a yes-man
for Bush. Since Allbaugh left office, he is now a contractor who
solicits money from the federal government, including his former
roommate, for disaster recovery -- that is, he is part of the
swinging door problem in Washington these days, where people in
office use public money to feather their nest with high-paying jobs
for when they leave office, and end up simply moving from one side
of the negotiating table to the other. Follow the money. The hogs
are already lined up at the trough to get their share of the
federally funded disaster recovery money. Just watch to see how
much Joe Allbaugh gets during the remaining years of the Bush
administration. Follow the money.

The other aspect of this particular disaster is that, although it
was a natural hurricane, the damage that was done in New Orleans by
the levies breaking could have been done with a few sticks of
dynamite by terrorists. In that context, the DHS should have been
prepared in advance to handle the consequences of such an act. With
the hurricane, they had several days of warnings as the weather
service tracked the power and direction of the storm. If it had
been a terrorist act, there would have been no warning at all.

> Blame, where-ever it may fall, can and will come in the near future.

Unfortunately, the Bush administration investigating a failure of
DHS or FEMA is sort of like O.J. Simpson looking for the "real
killer".

$.02 -Ron Shepard <--Follow the money

12 Sep 2005 13:11:20
Jerry R

> In article <RKDUe.32944$YC1.2987@fe08.lga>,
> "Superseal" <superseal@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>> You are a perfect example of the democratic left that takes a national
>> tragedy and attempts to turn it into a political chastising. As a nation
>> we
>> desperately need pulling together, while your comments do just the
>> opposite.
<snip >

> I did not, and do not now, blame the "conservatives" for what
> happened or for the poor government response. In fact, both
> liberals and conservatives are placing blame on the same people, the
> same policies, and on the same organizations, not all of whom are
> Republicans. I think there are many failures in New Orleans
> disaster, from local to state to federal levels. However, Harry
> Truman had a sign on his desk when he was President, "The buck stops
> here.". Ultimately, it is the Bush administration that is
> responsible for the failure of the part of the government system
> that represents me, and most of us here in ASP, in the response to
> this disaster. The people who live in New Orleans can complain
> about their mayor, and the people in the rest of the state can
> complain about what their state did, and that leaves the rest of us
> across the rest of the country to complain about the incompetence
> displayed by our federal government.

I've been following this thread and I think I need to interject here.

First off let me say that I agree 100% with Ron's statement. However, I feel
that we should reserve judgement until all the facts are in place, and the
results of the relief efforts can be assessed. I can certainly see why some
of us may be, to put it gently, wary of any White House investigation. I
feel the best solution would be form an independent panel to operate in a
manner such as to guarantee the transparency of the process.

> $.02 -Ron Shepard <--Follow the money

Jerry R

12 Sep 2005 16:56:12
Sorackem
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

"Jerry R" <JRave@optonspamsucksline.net > wrote in

> feel the best solution would be form an independent panel to operate
> in a manner such as to guarantee the transparency of the process.

There will be an investigation, but it wont be independant.
Just further spin and damage control.

By the way, you've all probably heard already, but; Brown resigned today.

-B

12 Sep 2005 18:26:10
Superseal
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

"Sorackem" <flint_stoned@nodcomcast.net > wrote in message
> "Jerry R" <JRave@optonspamsucksline.net> wrote in

>> feel the best solution would be form an independent panel to operate
>> in a manner such as to guarantee the transparency of the process.
>
> There will be an investigation, but it wont be independant.
> Just further spin and damage control.
>
> By the way, you've all probably heard already, but; Brown resigned today.
>
> -B

I'm glad to see that you're so open-minded about this...BTW, what do you
think we should do to Brown, even though the jury is still out...would you
like to kill him? At least torture him...OR...send him to OHIO to live
forever with the genius nine-ball Hank, Slim or whatever his name is.

SS

12 Sep 2005 23:02:35
Jim
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

Bush said he would investigate it, so he will investigate it.

Jim (Will probably wait until he gets Bin Laden first.)

> "Sorackem" <flint_stoned@nodcomcast.net> wrote in message
>> "Jerry R" <JRave@optonspamsucksline.net> wrote in

>>> feel the best solution would be form an independent panel to operate
>>> in a manner such as to guarantee the transparency of the process.
>>
>> There will be an investigation, but it wont be independant.
>> Just further spin and damage control.
>>
>> By the way, you've all probably heard already, but; Brown resigned today.
>>
>> -B
>

> I'm glad to see that you're so open-minded about this...BTW, what do you
> think we should do to Brown, even though the jury is still out...would you
> like to kill him? At least torture him...OR...send him to OHIO to live
> forever with the genius nine-ball Hank, Slim or whatever his name is.
>
> SS

12 Sep 2005 23:25:29
John W. Pierce
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

"Superseal" <superseal@optonline.net > wrote

> I'm glad to see that you're so open-minded about this...BTW, what do you
> think we should do to Brown....

Hmmmm.... How about we stick him in a house in New Orleans, then tell the
SA that he has some guns in there and refuses to leave? Of course, he may be
too young for them to be willing to take him on....

-- jwp

12 Sep 2005 19:33:35
Sorackem
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

"Superseal" <superseal@optonline.net > wrote in news:cgnVe.181$gE7.148
@fe08.lga:

> BTW, what do you
> think we should do to Brown

Perhaps a just punishment would be to spend a few weeks with you. Therapy
by overexposure.

"kill him" - where does that come from?
You need to find some balance, dude; try to spend more time practicing on
that circus ball.

13 Sep 2005 04:39:53
sittingduck
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

Superseal wrote:

> Blame, where-ever it may fall, can and will come in the near future.

<G >

Mr. President, this job can't be fun for you any more. There's no more money
to spend--you used up all of that. You can't start another war because you
used up the army. And now, darn the luck, the rest of your term has become
the Bush family nightmare: helping poor people. Listen to your Mom. The
cupboard's bare, the credit cards maxed out. No one's speaking to you.
Mission accomplished.

Now it's time to do what you've always done best: lose interest and walk
away. Like you did with your military service and the oil company and the
baseball team. It's time. Time to move on and try the next fantasy job.
How about cowboy or space man? Now I know what you're saying: there's so
many other things that you as President could involve yourself in. Please
don't. I know, I know. There's a lot left to do. There's a war with
Venezuela. Eliminating the sales tax on yachts. Turning the space program
over to the church. And Social Security to Fannie Mae. Giving embryos the
vote.

But, Sir, none of that is going to happen now. Why? Because you govern like
Billy Joel drives. You've performed so poorly I'm surprised that you haven't
given yourself a medal. You're a catastrophe that walks like a man. Herbert
Hoover was a shitty president, but even he never conceded an entire city to
rising water and snakes.

On your watch, we've lost almost all of our allies, the surplus, four
airliners, two trade centers, a piece of the Pentagon and the City of New
Orleans. Maybe you're just not lucky. I'm not saying you don't love this
country. I'm just wondering how much worse it could be if you were on the
other side.

So, yes, God does speak to you. What he is saying is: “Take a hint.”

13 Sep 2005 04:48:08
dalecue
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

"Superseal" <superseal@optonline.net > wrote in message

> "Sorackem" <flint_stoned@nodcomcast.net> wrote in message
> > "Jerry R" <JRave@optonspamsucksline.net> wrote in

> >> feel the best solution would be form an independent panel to operate
> >> in a manner such as to guarantee the transparency of the process.
> >
> > There will be an investigation, but it wont be independant.
> > Just further spin and damage control.
> >
> > By the way, you've all probably heard already, but; Brown resigned
today.

> > -B
>

> I'm glad to see that you're so open-minded about this...BTW, what do you
> think we should do to Brown, even though the jury is still out...would you
> like to kill him? At least torture him...OR...send him to OHIO to live
> forever with the genius nine-ball Hank, Slim or whatever his name is.

or force him to spend two hours with the moron Sealhead

Dale<re-lurking now >

> SS

14 Sep 2005 00:13:23
Ratchet
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

sittingduck wrote:

> So, yes, God does speak to you. What he is saying is: “Take a hint.”

actually it was more like " I had to send Katrina , It was the only way
to be "SURE" you never screw up anyones lives again...... It sure as
hell worked when I sent Hurricane Andrew to get rid of your Dad's sorry
ass !

Sincerely,

GOD

P.S. just wait til you see what I got lined up for your brother Jeb

14 Sep 2005 06:27:24
jdub
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

We have become a nation of blamestormers. Reality check time.

a) The storm was an act of God, perhaps accelerated by
400 years of increasing global warming.
b) Absolute protection costs LOTS and LOTS of TAXPAYER M O N E Y.
What do we protect first? Miami, NYC, CA, NO, TX, ??
c) How much is enough to spend in infrastructure, prep and planning?
d) How much is too much when the worst case scenario doesn't happen?

For anybody with all these answers, just this once, please post photos of
your Abrahms tank commuter car, you're fully stocked disaster shelter, or
heck, even you're fully up to date immunization record.

We, as a society, make decisions. When something is important, we find a
way to pay for that something happen.

Whether New Orleans comes back SHOULD be the result of hundreds of thousands
of members of our society, weighing the risks, and making decisions to
re-forge their life in this potentially dangerous area.

Should the Federal government [READ: We, the people, of the United States of
America] help? Of course. Not foot the whole bill, but we should help.
Blamestorming is the last thing that is useful and every politician who
chooses to point a finger is more of the problem than the recovery problem
itself.

And frankly, I'm sick of hearing the race card played. People were damaged
- the hurricane didn't check their income level or the color of their skin.
It did the most damage the closest to the Gulf --- hmmm, I wonder if a
proportionate number of poor, black people had oceanfront homes?

What did happen is the less capable, the less intelligent, the less
informed, and I'm sorry to say, the ones who subsist off the government dole
on a regular basis, were the most impacted. Hurricanes don't show up in a
few seconds like tornados - people had weeks to make plans. I lived in
Homestead, FL during one hurricane.....we had days to pack belongings, put
important stuff high (in the attic), board up the property, batten down
loose items, and get out of town.

How much should SOCIETY pay to have every possible landfall location
withstand a Class 5 hurricane? What about every possible earthquake
location? Every possible tornado location? Every possible blizzard
location? Every possible terrorist attack location?

My prediction - the new "New Orleans" has the chance to be perhaps the most
advanced city in the world. It will never be the old New Orleans, but it
still can be the heart and soul of Louisiana.

Jdub

On 9/11/05 12:14 PM, in article
ron-shepard-CE61A6.11141411092005@comcast.dca.giganews.com, "Ron Shepard"
> [...]

> much Joe Allbaugh gets during the remaining years of the Bush
> administration. Follow the money.
>
> The other aspect of this particular disaster is that, although it
> was a natural hurricane, the damage that was done in New Orleans by
> the levies breaking could have been done with a few sticks of
> dynamite by terrorists. In that context, the DHS should have been
> prepared in advance to handle the consequences of such an act. With
> the hurricane, they had several days of warnings as the weather
> service tracked the power and direction of the storm. If it had
> been a terrorist act, there would have been no warning at all.
>
>> Blame, where-ever it may fall, can and will come in the near future.
>
> Unfortunately, the Bush administration investigating a failure of
> DHS or FEMA is sort of like O.J. Simpson looking for the "real

14 Sep 2005 13:52:54
Ratchet
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

jdub wrote:

> We have become a nation of blamestormers.

{snipped} A lot of true stuff about how politics and politicians in
general "actually" do stuff .....it is the way of things

I can see why Brown was singled out, but, there were mistakes made by
ALL involved at the "UPPER" levels ,the captain always go down with the
ship,Historically speaking . It was not his fault that FEMA was
consolidated into the Fatherland err...Homeland Security Dept.and wasn't
it the mayor or gov't that called begging for help and was rebuffed for
not putting the request in writing ? therefore adding more red tape to
this disaster and wasting "critical" time . I can just picture Brown
asking to release his hounds ASAP, and ,as I have been hearing as of
late of other rescuers ,being told , "Hold on let's just wait and see"
besides "the powers that be" want it in WRITING ....That, beyond all
else borders on the criminal side, imo ..From storms to car wrecks the
"act" of God card gets played by our Gov't to either bolster or diminish
their stance when they have no other logical explanation ,From storms to
car wrecks ,I got burned by the latter by my insurance company.It is
always the poor and disaffected who bear the brunt of being the ones who
suffer most ,Thats why there is an Upper, Middle and Lower caste
regardless of race and creed ,Every one needs "someone" and "something"
to bitch about(as is most apperent here on RSB) The rich bitch about the
poor being poor (let them eat cake) and poor bitch about the rich being
rich ( They get all the breaks )it is the way of things !

NOW lets regress a little for a bit ... Just imagine the bitching that
will eventually happen ( It's inevitable ) when we are "prepared" for
the worst (thousands of troops ,thousands of rescue workers, thousands
of pieces of "every" kind of support vehicles ie: cranes ,dozers,trucks,
ships loaded with relief supplies for every kind of disaster imagineable
staged near the probable disaster area AND nothing happens ?, or it
turns out to be just a fart in a windstorm and, MILLIONS of dollars
wasted on a false alarm ,Mea Culpa ,right ?. No ..it will probably be
passed off the first time, and every one involved will pat themselves on
the back ,except for the Dept. that announced the disaster, heads will
roll and once more and we will be placated .

After a few of these the Dept's would probably be "readjusted" and the
responders get sick of false alarms, The Gov't reduces funding and the
numbers involved and we become "complacent" once more ! that too ,sadly
to say , is the way of things !

Ratchet -

14 Sep 2005 19:49:00
HopsNBarley
Re: OT - Goodbye Brown

sittingduck wrote:
> So, yes, God does speak to you. What he is saying is: "Take a hint."

Apparently he must be doing a good job, otherwise he wouldn't of been voted
bad in... <g >

Glenn