19 Sep 2005 15:03:23
David Malone
GWN Official Results - It's Back in Canada, eh? (longish)

The saga of this year's Great White North starts on Friday this year
when we met Becky and Jim (and their daughter, Heather) at the
Charlotte Room for a few drinks and a game of pool. We bumped into Rob
Torres (MindForPool), which is not suprising because he now owns the
place, and he found us a nice backroom - out of the mainstream -
table to play on. Michael Blugerman arrived shortly after I did and
Mrs Hamster finally got there about 8:30'ish. We played mostly 8-ball
scotch doubles so it was hard to see anybody's real form, but I
demonstrated my complete inability to get shape for my partner on
almost every shot. Nevertheless, it was an enjoyable and pleasant
evening. Thanks again Jim for paying for our drinks. Mrs Hamster and
I stayed a while after everybody else took off and played a little
9-ball - it was obvious we needed the practice...

Becky and Jim will have to tell you the details of how they made out
in the tournament on Saturday, but I do know that Becky finished
second and was only a hair away from qualifying for the US Women's
Amateur Open. Congratulations on a great tournament, Becky. Not sure
how Jim made out...

Sunday was a beautiful fall day - great weather despite Becky's
misgivings and it was actually a pity we had to spend the day inside.
Anyone know of an outdoor pool room in the Toronto area? We (the
missus and me) arrived at Coronation about 11:30 and Michael Blugerman
and Don Tees were already there warming up. Thierry arrived shortly
after from Montreal with his huge Zero-Haliburton cue case and after
that everybody else drifted in a few at a time. Glenn turned up with a
buddy, Carl, all the way from Windsor, Ontario. When 1:00pm arrived we
still had an uneven number for the round robin (I like to have an even
number so there are no byes and people waiting around to play) but the
aforementioned Rob Torres arrived within a few seconds of 1:00pm and
evened things up. Roy Mason couldn't make it - Glenn had dropped in on
him on Saturday and told us his basement was flooded (where he has all
his cues and blanks) and he was still cleaning up. Poor Roy - hope
things are back to normal by now...

For those of you who don't know, the Coronation is a traditional old
style poolroom built in what used to be a bowling alley on the second
floor above a row of stores. It's a bit hard to find because the
entrance is a single door between two stores and a smallish sign
above. I'm not sure how many pool tables they have - I'd guess around
14 - and two full size snooker tables. The ubiquitous Ruby wasn't
there for a change (he doesn't work Sundays) but true to his word they
were expecting us, and the wait staff and counter personnel were
cheerful and very efficient. The Granito on the Gold Crowns is getting
a bit worn and it's time for them to be recovered. The surface on most
of them is like ice and I overhit every positional shot by about 2
feet. I scratched a lot. Before Gideon points this out, I have Granito
on my home table, but mine still has some nap on it.

Because we had 14 players, I divided them up into a group of 6 and a
group of 8 and we played BCA rules 9-ball, a race to 3, no 3-foul
rule, alternate breaks. Jim, I think it was, commented favorably on
the round robin format. When everybody gets to play a whole bunch of
people, it makes it a more sociable event and you get to chat with
people you've never met or played with before. Play was uneventful for
the most part. Ortelia startled everybody by letting out a whoop I
could hear way across the other side of the pool room when she won her
first match, against Heather I think. Gideon and I played the most
dreadful 5 games of 9-ball possibly ever played. The only positive
thing that happened in the whole match was when Gideon sank the 9-ball
on the break. BTW, why was everybody playing against me able to drop
that 9-ball on the break? I never even came close. In a race to 3,
it's a tough way to lose a game...

The format calls for the winner on one group to play the runner-up on
the other group in the semi-finals - a race to 5. That resulted in
Thierry Layani playing Jim Humphreys and Rob Torres playing Steve (?).
I don't know Steve's last name - he is a buddy of Kenny Koo. Jim just
squeaked by into the semi's by a tie-breaker with Glenn Deneweth who
had essentially the same record after the round robin. Jim played
Thierry tough and lost a close match 5-4 while Rob bulldozed Steve
5-1. He was on fire and playing extremely well. In fact, Glenn wanted
to take bets on him winning the final. I should have taken him up on
it... to cut a long story short, Thierry prevailed in a thrilling
final 5-4. Thierry started fast with a 2 game lead and, at one point
was up 4-2. Rob is by no means a quitter and grimly fought back with a
fine clearance and then a clutch win to even it up at 4 each. The
final game, as you might expect, was pretty tense but Thierry pulled
it out, finishing with confidence.

The trophy comes back to Canada. Congratulations, Thierry.

Ok... the results. I won't go into details here because it would take
up too much room. As usual. if Mike Page wants the details for his
spreadsheet or Bob Jewett wants to use the individual results to
adjust his 9-ball ladder, let me know...

Flight #1

Thierry 5-0, Michael 3-2, Becky 2-3, Carl 0-5, Kenny 1-4, Steve 4-2

Flight #2

Donald 4-3, Hamster 2-5, Glenn 5-2, Jim 5-2, Ortelia 1-6, Gideon 2-5,
Heather 3-4, Rob 6-1

Again, let me congratulate the two finalists. They both played well
and if I ever get to play half as well one of these days I'll be
happy. Great shooting and great position play. The two losing
semi-finalists were presented with a small gift (some kind of
chocolate liqueur) and the second place winner, Rob was presented with
a Crown Royal and glasses gift pack. I presented Thierry with the
Great White North Non Gender specific Royalty of the Hill imitation
gold plated trophy and a single malt liquor gift pack to take back to
Montreal. Odd that, Thierry doesn't drink but always takes home the
booze...

He bought some nice cues with him (not as fancy as some he brought
last year) and sold one to Becky. It is a beautiful cue. We'll have to
see how she makes out with the standard shaft because she's used to a
Predator shaft on her old McDermott. Becky, please let us know what
you think... I think he also maybe sold another one to someone who
just happened to be playing there, but that sale is still up in the
air as far as I know. I already have 3 Layanis but I was tempted. Good
thing Mrs Hamster was there...

In the presentation, I thanked all the players for coming and
especially those that drove or travelled vast distances to get there,
like our Florida guests Becky and Jim, Glenn and Carl, Donald, and
Thierry. Donald, Glenn and Carl, and Thierry all had to travel home
right after the tournament - hope everybody arrived safely. I'd also
like to thank the staff at Coronation. The hamburgers and poutine (you
noticed that I hope, Glenn?) are pretty good and the deserts are
amazing. Becky and Ortelia decided to try a few chocolate concoctions
after the tournament and, I have to say, I've rarely seen anything so
decadent in a poolhall. I put on three pounds just looking at it but
declined to try it. Looked kinda sweet for my taste.

All in all, a great day and a fun tournament.

David "The Hamster" Malone
www.hamstertales.com

19 Sep 2005 11:24:20
HopsNBarley
Re: GWN Official Results - It's Back in Canada, eh? (longish)

David Malone
> The hamburgers and poutine (you
> noticed that I hope, Glenn?)

It was excellent. I was only able to eat half - the portions are enourmous.
I made it home at 10:15pm. Not bad time, although there was the standard
Toronto traffic that slowed us down for almost an hour. I made up time by
travelling home at 140km. Luckly no police were out :)

Thank David for putting this all together. I definately liked the Round
Robin format. And putting faces to names was pretty cool. Donald is
probably the only one I had pin pointed and wasn't surprised, his
personality matches that of his internet presence. We had good conversion.

Glenn

19 Sep 2005 11:33:31
Donald Tees
Re: GWN Official Results - It's Back in Canada, eh? (longish)

David Malone wrote:

Top post only .... no more below

It was great fun David. Thanks very much for all the work you put into
these events. I am one of those procrastinators that like to think of
such things, but never get around to them. Kudo's to you.

It was nice to meet some of our fellow posters, as always, and I hope
our vistitors from below the border enjoyed themselves as much as I did.

Donald

> [...]
> thing Mrs Hamster was there...
>
> In the presentation, I thanked all the players for coming and
> especially those that drove or travelled vast distances to get there,
> like our Florida guests Becky and Jim, Glenn and Carl, Donald, and
> Thierry. Donald, Glenn and Carl, and Thierry all had to travel home
> right after the tournament - hope everybody arrived safely. I'd also
> like to thank the staff at Coronation. The hamburgers and poutine (you
> noticed that I hope, Glenn?) are pretty good and the deserts are
> amazing. Becky and Ortelia decided to try a few chocolate concoctions
> after the tournament and, I have to say, I've rarely seen anything so
> decadent in a poolhall. I put on three pounds just looking at it but
> declined to try it. Looked kinda sweet for my taste.
>
> All in all, a great day and a fun tournament.

19 Sep 2005 16:26:09
David Malone
Re: GWN Official Results - It's Back in Canada, eh? (longish)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:24:20 -0400, "HopsNBarley"
<HopsNBarley@ccogeco.ca > wrote:

>I made it home at 10:15pm. Not bad time, although there was the standard
>Toronto traffic that slowed us down for almost an hour. I made up time by
>travelling home at 140km. Luckly no police were out :)

Travelling that slow you probably wouldn't get a ticket anyway...

>Donald is
>probably the only one I had pin pointed and wasn't surprised, his
>personality matches that of his internet presence. We had good conversion.

He's a bright and articulate guy. I owe him some apologies for running
away a couple of times in the middle of a conversation because of some
tournament stuff I needed to take care of...

David "The Hamster" Malone
www.hamstertales.com

19 Sep 2005 17:20:02
David Malone
Re: GWN Official Results - It's Back in Canada, eh? (longish)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:03:23 GMT, malone@ca.ibm.com (David Malone)
wrote:

>All in all, a great day and a fun tournament.

BTW, the guy at the bar in Coronation said someone called all the way
from CT and asked for directions... was that you, Fred?

David "The Hamster" Malone
www.hamstertales.com

19 Sep 2005 13:32:03
Pat Hall
Re: GWN Official Results - It's Back in Canada, eh? (longish)

Top posted for DT.

David,
What we do in short race 9-ball is treat the 9-ball break as a spot
the 9 take ball in hand anywhere on the table. I think this is a bit
fairer to both breaker and racker.
Hey weren't there any ladder matches this weekend?

PatH

David Malone wrote:
> [...]
> thing Mrs Hamster was there...
>
> In the presentation, I thanked all the players for coming and
> especially those that drove or travelled vast distances to get there,
> like our Florida guests Becky and Jim, Glenn and Carl, Donald, and
> Thierry. Donald, Glenn and Carl, and Thierry all had to travel home
> right after the tournament - hope everybody arrived safely. I'd also
> like to thank the staff at Coronation. The hamburgers and poutine (you
> noticed that I hope, Glenn?) are pretty good and the deserts are
> amazing. Becky and Ortelia decided to try a few chocolate concoctions
> after the tournament and, I have to say, I've rarely seen anything so
> decadent in a poolhall. I put on three pounds just looking at it but
> declined to try it. Looked kinda sweet for my taste.
>
> All in all, a great day and a fun tournament.

19 Sep 2005 18:39:31
David Malone
Re: GWN Official Results - It's Back in Canada, eh? (longish)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:32:03 -0500, Pat Hall
<phall@notsospam.certcoinc.com > wrote:

> What we do in short race 9-ball is treat the 9-ball break as a spot
>the 9 take ball in hand anywhere on the table. I think this is a bit
>fairer to both breaker and racker.

Huh? Say that again...? Do you mean spot the 9-ball if you make it on
the break and the breaker gets BIH?

>Hey weren't there any ladder matches this weekend?

Nope... unless you want to use the GWN results. But they were all
races to 3 so don't really qualify. We were being all nice and
sociable - not competitive... although I think we should move Rob
Torres up about 20 places.

David "The Hamster" Malone
www.hamstertales.com

19 Sep 2005 14:00:20
Pat Hall

David Malone wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:32:03 -0500, Pat Hall
> <phall@notsospam.certcoinc.com> wrote:
>

>> What we do in short race 9-ball is treat the 9-ball break as a spot
>>the 9 take ball in hand anywhere on the table. I think this is a bit
>>fairer to both breaker and racker.
>

> Huh? Say that again...? Do you mean spot the 9-ball if you make it on
> the break and the breaker gets BIH?

Yep that what I mean. Prolly didn't say it too good. You get a bonus
of BIH but you don't get a win for the 9-ball break. You could however
shoot a 1-9 combination with your BIH and that would be a win. Adds a
bit more skill to the game and takes out that "lucky" break

PatH

>>Hey weren't there any ladder matches this weekend?
>

> Nope... unless you want to use the GWN results. But they were all
> races to 3 so don't really qualify. We were being all nice and
> sociable - not competitive... although I think we should move Rob
> Torres up about 20 places.
>
> David "The Hamster" Malone
> www.hamstertales.com

19 Sep 2005 23:42:25
lfigueroa
Re: GWN Official Results - It's Back in Canada, eh? (longish)

Hamster, tanks for the report. Personally, I think these get-togethers are
one of the best things to emerge from the group.

Lou Figueroa

"David Malone" <malone@ca.ibm.com > wrote in message

> [...]
> thing Mrs Hamster was there...
>
> In the presentation, I thanked all the players for coming and
> especially those that drove or travelled vast distances to get there,
> like our Florida guests Becky and Jim, Glenn and Carl, Donald, and
> Thierry. Donald, Glenn and Carl, and Thierry all had to travel home
> right after the tournament - hope everybody arrived safely. I'd also
> like to thank the staff at Coronation. The hamburgers and poutine (you
> noticed that I hope, Glenn?) are pretty good and the deserts are
> amazing. Becky and Ortelia decided to try a few chocolate concoctions
> after the tournament and, I have to say, I've rarely seen anything so
> decadent in a poolhall. I put on three pounds just looking at it but
> declined to try it. Looked kinda sweet for my taste.
>
> All in all, a great day and a fun tournament.

20 Sep 2005 13:29:29
David Malone
Re: GWN Official Results - It's Back in Canada, eh? (longish)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 23:42:25 GMT, "lfigueroa" <lfigueroa@att.net >
wrote:

>Hamster, tanks for the report. Personally, I think these get-togethers are
>one of the best things to emerge from the group.

Thanks, Lou - I agree with you... that's why Gideon and I set this GWN
up in the first place. We've had 16 of them so far... I'm still
waiting for Jimbo to have another CT tourney.

David "The Hamster" Malone
www.hamstertales.com

20 Sep 2005 06:52:50
gideonf@rogers.com

David Malone wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:24:20 -0400, "HopsNBarley"
> <HopsNBarley@ccogeco.ca> wrote:
>
> >I made it home at 10:15pm. Not bad time, although there was the standard
> >Toronto traffic that slowed us down for almost an hour. I made up time by
> >travelling home at 140km. Luckly no police were out :)
>
> Travelling that slow you probably wouldn't get a ticket anyway...

It certainly will on Highway 11

Gideon<----Ticketed Labour Day Weekend

20 Sep 2005 06:56:07
gideonf@rogers.com

David Malone wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 23:42:25 GMT, "lfigueroa" <lfigueroa@att.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Hamster, tanks for the report. Personally, I think these get-togethers are
> >one of the best things to emerge from the group.
>
> Thanks, Lou - I agree with you... that's why Gideon and I set this GWN
> up in the first place. We've had 16 of them so far... I'm still
> waiting for Jimbo to have another CT tourney.

While its true that Dave and I set up the GWN in the first place, I
have been a free rider for some time. Dave does all the work and
deserves all the glory.

Regards,

Gideon

20 Sep 2005 16:04:48
David Malone
Re: GWN Official Results - It's Back in Canada, eh? (longish)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:00:20 -0500, Pat Hall
<phall@notsospam.certcoinc.com > wrote:

>Yep that what I mean. Prolly didn't say it too good. You get a bonus
>of BIH but you don't get a win for the 9-ball break. You could however
>shoot a 1-9 combination with your BIH and that would be a win. Adds a
>bit more skill to the game and takes out that "lucky" break

Hmmn... maybe I'll take it to the rules committee for the next GWN,
Pat (although I'm the only one complaining so it's probably just sour
grapes).

David "The Hamster" Malone
www.hamstertales.com

26 Sep 2005 20:58:36
JimBoCt
Re: GWN Official Results - It's Back in Canada, eh? (longish)

Hamster saz: I'm still
waiting for Jimbo to have another CT tourney.

Me 2, I heard they are pretty good. I wish I could have made it up
there, but my doctor said I may have a reaction to Donald's hair. I'm
waiting for someone in a 3 hour radius to throw one so I can just show
up and rack. Even though my game is in the dumps I may be available for
appearances in Fl next week.

Jim <---Call my agent

27 Sep 2005 13:19:10
David Malone

On 26 Sep 2005 20:58:36 -0700, "JimBoCt" <jimboct@aol.com > wrote:

>Hamster saz: I'm still
>waiting for Jimbo to have another CT tourney.
>
>Me 2, I heard they are pretty good.

They are the best. No two ways about it...

>I wish I could have made it up
>there, but my doctor said I may have a reaction to Donald's hair.

He doesn't shed and besides all of that green smoke makes him
hypoallergenic. Try and make it for the next one and bring Barry and
Fred as well...

David "The Hamster" Malone
www.hamstertales.com

02 Oct 2005 14:27:37
Mind4Pool
Re: GWN Official Results - It's Back in Canada, eh? (longish)

Hi Everyone!
Sorry for the late response but I have been in mourning since my loss
to Thierry. He played a great game and I truly enjoyed our match.
Haven't been playing much lately and I miss the competition and the
rush you get when you play such a close race.
I truly enjoyed meeting and playing with you all. I would love to play
with you all again and anytime you all wish to play in Toronto again,
the Charlotte Room is all yours anytime you wish, even though I liked
playing at Coronation.
Thanks David for running a great tournament.
Rob (Mind4Pool) Torres