29 May 2004 21:07:35
Michael T
Tapit, The Cliff's Edge won't challenge Smarty Jones in Belmont Stakes

What an unbelievable turn of events.

I am beginning to think fate is definitely on Lil' Red's side.

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=4c2b3a00-81f4-4808-81b4-7c22f9266ec1

31 May 2004 08:06:33
Bob M
Re: Tapit, The Cliff's Edge won't challenge Smarty Jones in Belmont Stakes

This just ruined my belmont...lol I liked the cliffs edge but would rather
see him scratched than run at less than 100%. This horse should win his
share of races down the road. Now I will have to look at royal assault and
Rock Hard Ten. It might be worth it because I think these are the only two
with a chance. Betting both is still better than getting less than 1-2 on
Smarty. BOB
"Michael T" <michaelt@att.net > wrote in message
> What an unbelievable turn of events.
>
> I am beginning to think fate is definitely on Lil' Red's side.

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=4c2
b3a00-81f4-4808-81b4-7c22f9266ec1

31 May 2004 06:09:28
wolf again
Re: Tapit, The Cliff's Edge won't challenge Smarty Jones in Belmont Stakes

"Michael T" <michaelt@att.net > wrote in message news:<56duc.15617$zN5.10868@fed1read01>...
> What an unbelievable turn of events.
>
> I am beginning to think fate is definitely on Lil' Red's side.

> http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=4c2b3a00-81f4-4808-81b4-7c22f9266ec1

Has there ever been "walk over" in a triple crown race? I'm sure
the good folks at NBC will not allow it this year. When was the last
"walk over"? This is a test post.

31 May 2004 15:38:18
Fager
Re: Tapit, The Cliff's Edge won't challenge Smarty Jones in Belmont Stakes

> Has there ever been "walk over" in a triple crown race? I'm sure
> the good folks at NBC will not allow it this year. When was the last
> "walk over"? This is a test post.

I remember Spectacular Bid's walkover as a 4 YO. Lots of politics involved.
He still ran 2:02 for 10 furlongs by himself.

Fager

31 May 2004 16:26:31
Bob Fritz
Re: Tapit, The Cliff's Edge won't challenge Smarty Jones in Belmont Stakes

The 1980 Woodward. I remember that "race." It was on CBS. The telecast wound
up basically being an hour-long discussion by the pundits about what was
wrong with racing that allowed the walkover to happen. I would hate to have
worked for the ad agency that bought ads on that show!
That was the last walkover in a major race. I remember a few years ago there
was a walkover at a track in Nebraska. There was a law saying that a card
had to have at least one state-bred race, and only one horse was entered for
that race.
I don't think there has ever been a walkover in a Triple Crown race. I know
the Derby was run with three horses twice early on. I want to say there were
two horses in the Belmont one year, again early.

Bob

"Fager" <socianonospam@earthlink.net > wrote in message
> > Has there ever been "walk over" in a triple crown race? I'm sure
> > the good folks at NBC will not allow it this year. When was the last
> > "walk over"? This is a test post.
>
> I remember Spectacular Bid's walkover as a 4 YO. Lots of politics
involved.
> He still ran 2:02 for 10 furlongs by himself.
>
> Fager

31 May 2004 21:01:31
byrdman

Bob M wrote:
Now I will have to look at royal assault and
> Rock Hard Ten. It might be worth it because I think these are the only two
> with a chance. Betting both is still better than getting less than 1-2 on
> Smarty. BOB

Why is betting both (Royal Assault and Rock Hard Ten) better than
getting less than 1-2 on Smarty Jones?

byrdman

01 Jun 2004 16:35:28
Bob M
Re: Tapit, The Cliff's Edge won't challenge Smarty Jones in Belmont Stakes

Just seems to me that the odds of a triple crown happining based on history
is 2-1 smarty going off at 2-5 (predicted) I figure he will be right there
maybe 3-5 if people are lucky. He is simply not a good bet. I always
wager this race and think that rock hard ten having only 4 races can be a
plus. I think royal assault has the form and style needed also. What I say
is this. Smarty jones has half a chance. that is still even money...again
look at the odds. BOB
"Bob Fritz" <BOBFRITZ@prodigy.net > wrote in message
> The 1980 Woodward. I remember that "race." It was on CBS. The telecast
wound
> up basically being an hour-long discussion by the pundits about what was
> wrong with racing that allowed the walkover to happen. I would hate to
have
> worked for the ad agency that bought ads on that show!
> That was the last walkover in a major race. I remember a few years ago
there
> was a walkover at a track in Nebraska. There was a law saying that a card
> had to have at least one state-bred race, and only one horse was entered
for
> that race.
> I don't think there has ever been a walkover in a Triple Crown race. I
know
> the Derby was run with three horses twice early on. I want to say there
were
> two horses in the Belmont one year, again early.
>
> Bob
>

> "Fager" <socianonospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > Has there ever been "walk over" in a triple crown race? I'm sure
> > > the good folks at NBC will not allow it this year. When was the last
> > > "walk over"? This is a test post.
> >
> > I remember Spectacular Bid's walkover as a 4 YO. Lots of politics
> involved.
> > He still ran 2:02 for 10 furlongs by himself.
> >
> > Fager

01 Jun 2004 18:28:08
wolf again
Re: Tapit, The Cliff's Edge won't challenge Smarty Jones in Belmont Stakes

"Bob Fritz" <BOBFRITZ@prodigy.net > wrote in message news:<X0Juc.24335$js4.12367@attbi_s51>...
> The 1980 Woodward. I remember that "race." It was on CBS. The telecast wound
> up basically being an hour-long discussion by the pundits about what was
> wrong with racing that allowed the walkover to happen. I would hate to have
> worked for the ad agency that bought ads on that show!
> That was the last walkover in a major race. I remember a few years ago there
> was a walkover at a track in Nebraska. There was a law saying that a card
> had to have at least one state-bred race, and only one horse was entered for
> that race.
> I don't think there has ever been a walkover in a Triple Crown race. I know
> the Derby was run with three horses twice early on. I want to say there were
> two horses in the Belmont one year, again early.
>
> Bob
I actually couldn't remeber that race. I find it very strange some
owner wouldn't enter a claimer just to get place money or he could
have used the race as a workout for one of his better horses. Strange.