31 May 2004 17:12:08
Les Corbett
Smarty J

Reported in todays Racing Post in the UK that this one will
almost certainly stay in training as a 4y old. It will be part
of the conditions of his stud syndication. The Chapmans seem
to feel they have a duty to the fans to let it stay in training.

Very refreshing outlook and good news for the fans.

LC

01 Jun 2004 18:53:01
VacuumHead
Re: Smarty J

I say let Smarty retire. Let him go out on top like Jordan, Elway.
Let him be just a horse. Not a race horse. If any animal deserves it,
it's Smarty Jones.

"Les Corbett" <l.corbett@btinternet.com > wrote in message news:<c9fp18$b1u$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> Reported in todays Racing Post in the UK that this one will
> almost certainly stay in training as a 4y old. It will be part
> of the conditions of his stud syndication. The Chapmans seem
> to feel they have a duty to the fans to let it stay in training.
>
> Very refreshing outlook and good news for the fans.
>
> LC

01 Jun 2004 19:28:26
Chris
Re: Smarty J

"VacuumHead" <cory579@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> I say let Smarty retire. Let him go out on top like Jordan, Elway.
> Let him be just a horse. Not a race horse. If any animal deserves it,
> it's Smarty Jones.
>

> "Les Corbett" <l.corbett@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:<c9fp18$b1u$1@titan.btinternet.com >...
> > Reported in todays Racing Post in the UK that this one will
> > almost certainly stay in training as a 4y old. It will be part
> > of the conditions of his stud syndication. The Chapmans seem
> > to feel they have a duty to the fans to let it stay in training.
> >
> > Very refreshing outlook and good news for the fans.

Plus the Tax Breaks are enormous if you run through your 4yo season

02 Jun 2004 14:02:20
Les Corbett
Re: Smarty J

"VacuumHead" <cory579@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> I say let Smarty retire. Let him go out on top like Jordan, Elway.
> Let him be just a horse. Not a race horse. If any animal deserves it,
> it's Smarty Jones.

Yes, it is a very understandable opinion. The problem is that as
a 3y old he is not a fully mature horse and early retirement does
limit his greatness a fair bit, compared with some others that is.

LC

> "Les Corbett" <l.corbett@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:<c9fp18$b1u$1@titan.btinternet.com >...
> > Reported in todays Racing Post in the UK that this one will
> > almost certainly stay in training as a 4y old. It will be part
> > of the conditions of his stud syndication. The Chapmans seem
> > to feel they have a duty to the fans to let it stay in training.
> >
> > Very refreshing outlook and good news for the fans.
> >
> > LC

02 Jun 2004 16:28:37
Louis Epstein
Re: Smarty J

Les Corbett <l.corbett@btinternet.com > wrote:

> "VacuumHead" <cory579@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I say let Smarty retire. Let him go out on top like Jordan, Elway.
>> Let him be just a horse. Not a race horse. If any animal deserves it,
>> it's Smarty Jones.
>
> Yes, it is a very understandable opinion. The problem is that as
> a 3y old he is not a fully mature horse and early retirement does
> limit his greatness a fair bit, compared with some others that is.

Indeed...VacuumHead's logic would lead to the retirement of
undefeated two-year-olds as well!

A racehorse who has only ever defeated those of his own year
can never be called fairly tested for greatness.

>> "Les Corbett" <l.corbett@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> > Reported in todays Racing Post in the UK that this one will
>> > almost certainly stay in training as a 4y old. It will be part
>> > of the conditions of his stud syndication. The Chapmans seem
>> > to feel they have a duty to the fans to let it stay in training.
>> >
>> > Very refreshing outlook and good news for the fans.
>> >
>> > LC

-=-=-

03 Jun 2004 13:21:22
wolf again
Re: Smarty J

Louis Epstein <lepslog@shell.fcc.net > wrote in message news:<ysqdnS5Gye8Y2yPdRVn-iQ@fcc.net>...
> Les Corbett <l.corbett@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> > "VacuumHead" <cory579@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> I say let Smarty retire. Let him go out on top like Jordan, Elway.
> >> Let him be just a horse. Not a race horse. If any animal deserves it,
> >> it's Smarty Jones.
> >
> > Yes, it is a very understandable opinion. The problem is that as
> > a 3y old he is not a fully mature horse and early retirement does
> > limit his greatness a fair bit, compared with some others that is.
>
> Indeed...VacuumHead's logic would lead to the retirement of
> undefeated two-year-olds as well!
>
> A racehorse who has only ever defeated those of his own year
> can never be called fairly tested for greatness.
I get in trouble on this subject but you are right! Example:
Secretariat beats his own then loses first time against 4yr olds in
the Whitney by "Onion". On an other subject As our president said to
the euro's "If we, USA, were not fighting the terrorists now What do
you think they would be doing? Do you think they would turn in their
guns and bombs and start leading productive lives with charity?" No
reponse needed or expected. I get in trouble ith the group on this
stuff too! Wolfagain.