27 May 2004 22:05:19
LWPTheDad
Bob Fritz, Danzig, anyone know?

One of the horses people don't talk about is a great one named Buckpasser.
Lifetime record
31-25-4-1
Suffered quarter cracks in three and four year season. Quarter crack kept him
out of Derby.
Horse of year, hall of fame, etc.
Anyway, my question for anyone who may know. I seem to remember from an old
racing form that Buckpasser hit the 6f mark in a distance race in 1:06 and
change. Does anyone know how to search for old racing forms where I could get
that information?
It is fun to go to Google and type in the name of a horse and read up on them.
BTW Tim, I was lucky enough to see both Dr Fager and Secretariat race. Dr Fager
in the UN and Secretariat in the Preakness. I still have Dr Fagers racing forms
when he won all 4, Horse of the year, grass horse, sprint champ and handicap
horse.
I enjoy all the posts. Keep posting racing fans. Lets keep the game alive.
I think there will be 100,000 in Elmont to see the Belmont. Remember the year
the they had 100,000 there. I believe a Smarty win will be good for the game
much as the Seabisquit movie was.
Cash early and often.
Les

28 May 2004 01:40:37
wolf again
Re: Bob Fritz, Danzig, anyone know?

lwpthedad@aol.com (LWPTheDad) wrote in message news:<20040527180519.00400.00000021@mb-m14.aol.com >...
> One of the horses people don't talk about is a great one named Buckpasser.
> Lifetime record
> 31-25-4-1
> Suffered quarter cracks in three and four year season. Quarter crack kept him
> out of Derby.
> Horse of year, hall of fame, etc.
> Anyway, my question for anyone who may know. I seem to remember from an old
> racing form that Buckpasser hit the 6f mark in a distance race in 1:06 and
> change. Does anyone know how to search for old racing forms where I could get
> that information?
> It is fun to go to Google and type in the name of a horse and read up on them.
> BTW Tim, I was lucky enough to see both Dr Fager and Secretariat race. Dr Fager
> in the UN and Secretariat in the Preakness. I still have Dr Fagers racing forms
> when he won all 4, Horse of the year, grass horse, sprint champ and handicap
> horse.
> I enjoy all the posts. Keep posting racing fans. Lets keep the game alive.
> I think there will be 100,000 in Elmont to see the Belmont. Remember the year
> the they had 100,000 there. I believe a Smarty win will be good for the game
> much as the Seabisquit movie was.
> Cash early and often.
THE Race! 1968 Woodward Stakes at Aqu. Three Champions meet for a
one race showdown. Buckpasser the 4yr old, Damascus and the good
doctor, Dr.Fager. 3yr olds. Buckpasser and Damascus used "rabbits" to
counter Fager's speed. All 3 horses were bet about the same 5-2. Fager
as usual ran with the rabbits, wouldn't give up the lead. Hit the 6f
mark in 1:09 and change. Finally gave way and Damascus and Buckpasser
passed him at the 8th pole with Damascus going on to win easily. All
three horses were Horse of the year champions at one time. Buckpasser
in '67, Fager in '68 and Damascus in '69. Could be a little off on my
dates. As good as it gets! Also Buckpasser at one time won 14 straight
races. A REALLY good one! Wolfagain.

28 May 2004 06:25:04

wolf@provide.net (wolf again) wrote in message news:<8a125be2.0405280040.38b13812@posting.google.com >...
> lwpthedad@aol.com (LWPTheDad) wrote in message news:<20040527180519.00400.00000021@mb-m14.aol.com>...
> > One of the horses people don't talk about is a great one named Buckpasser.
> > Lifetime record
> > 31-25-4-1
> > Suffered quarter cracks in three and four year season. Quarter crack kept him
> > out of Derby.
> > Horse of year, hall of fame, etc.
> > Anyway, my question for anyone who may know. I seem to remember from an old
> > racing form that Buckpasser hit the 6f mark in a distance race in 1:06 and
> > change. Does anyone know how to search for old racing forms where I could get
> > that information?
> > It is fun to go to Google and type in the name of a horse and read up on them.
> > BTW Tim, I was lucky enough to see both Dr Fager and Secretariat race. Dr Fager
> > in the UN and Secretariat in the Preakness. I still have Dr Fagers racing forms
> > when he won all 4, Horse of the year, grass horse, sprint champ and handicap
> > horse.
> > I enjoy all the posts. Keep posting racing fans. Lets keep the game alive.
> > I think there will be 100,000 in Elmont to see the Belmont. Remember the year
> > the they had 100,000 there. I believe a Smarty win will be good for the game
> > much as the Seabisquit movie was.
> > Cash early and often.
> THE Race! 1968 Woodward Stakes at Aqu. Three Champions meet for a
> one race showdown. Buckpasser the 4yr old, Damascus and the good
> doctor, Dr.Fager. 3yr olds. Buckpasser and Damascus used "rabbits" to
> counter Fager's speed. All 3 horses were bet about the same 5-2. Fager
> as usual ran with the rabbits, wouldn't give up the lead. Hit the 6f
> mark in 1:09 and change. Finally gave way and Damascus and Buckpasser
> passed him at the 8th pole with Damascus going on to win easily. All
> three horses were Horse of the year champions at one time. Buckpasser
> in '67, Fager in '68 and Damascus in '69. Could be a little off on my
> dates. As good as it gets! Also Buckpasser at one time won 14 straight
> races. A REALLY good one! Wolfagain.
Correction: Damascus '68 Horse of the year. Dr. Fager horse of the
year in '69. might be off by a year.

29 May 2004 05:49:35
Bob M
Re: Bob Fritz, Danzig, anyone know?

Yea I agree stuff happens. Too often when the good ones meet it really
doesn't mean the winner was better than the loser just better on that day.
BOB
"wolf again" <wolf@provide.net > wrote in message
> wolf@provide.net (wolf again) wrote in message
news:<8a125be2.0405280040.38b13812@posting.google.com >...
> > lwpthedad@aol.com (LWPTheDad) wrote in message
news:<20040527180519.00400.00000021@mb-m14.aol.com >...
> > > One of the horses people don't talk about is a great one named
Buckpasser.
> > > Lifetime record
> > > 31-25-4-1
> > > Suffered quarter cracks in three and four year season. Quarter crack
kept him
> > > out of Derby.
> > > Horse of year, hall of fame, etc.
> > > Anyway, my question for anyone who may know. I seem to remember from
an old
> > > racing form that Buckpasser hit the 6f mark in a distance race in 1:06
and
> > > change. Does anyone know how to search for old racing forms where I
could get
> > > that information?
> > > It is fun to go to Google and type in the name of a horse and read up
on them.
> > > BTW Tim, I was lucky enough to see both Dr Fager and Secretariat race.
Dr Fager
> > > in the UN and Secretariat in the Preakness. I still have Dr Fagers
racing forms
> > > when he won all 4, Horse of the year, grass horse, sprint champ and
handicap
> > > horse.
> > > I enjoy all the posts. Keep posting racing fans. Lets keep the game
alive.
> > > I think there will be 100,000 in Elmont to see the Belmont. Remember
the year
> > > the they had 100,000 there. I believe a Smarty win will be good for
the game
> > > much as the Seabisquit movie was.
> > > Cash early and often.
> > THE Race! 1968 Woodward Stakes at Aqu. Three Champions meet for a
> > one race showdown. Buckpasser the 4yr old, Damascus and the good
> > doctor, Dr.Fager. 3yr olds. Buckpasser and Damascus used "rabbits" to
> > counter Fager's speed. All 3 horses were bet about the same 5-2. Fager
> > as usual ran with the rabbits, wouldn't give up the lead. Hit the 6f
> > mark in 1:09 and change. Finally gave way and Damascus and Buckpasser
> > passed him at the 8th pole with Damascus going on to win easily. All
> > three horses were Horse of the year champions at one time. Buckpasser
> > in '67, Fager in '68 and Damascus in '69. Could be a little off on my
> > dates. As good as it gets! Also Buckpasser at one time won 14 straight
> > races. A REALLY good one! Wolfagain.
> Correction: Damascus '68 Horse of the year. Dr. Fager horse of the
> year in '69. might be off by a year.

29 May 2004 12:52:27
buffbill
Re: Bob Fritz, Danzig, anyone know?

The race you're talking about is the 1966 Arlington Classic in which
Buckpasser set the world record for one mile--to be broken two years later
at the same track by Dr. Fager under 134 pounds. But Buckpasser did not run
six furlongs in 106 and change. His stablemate Impressive did. Impressive
was in as a pace setter and he did his job perfectly well. Buckpasser took
advantage in the stretch to set the record. Impressive BTW was voted
champion sprinter that season.

buffbill

"LWPTheDad" <lwpthedad@aol.com > wrote in message
> One of the horses people don't talk about is a great one named Buckpasser.
> Lifetime record
> 31-25-4-1
> Suffered quarter cracks in three and four year season. Quarter crack kept
him
> out of Derby.
> Horse of year, hall of fame, etc.
> Anyway, my question for anyone who may know. I seem to remember from an
old
> racing form that Buckpasser hit the 6f mark in a distance race in 1:06 and
> change. Does anyone know how to search for old racing forms where I could
get

29 May 2004 23:32:25
Morehits4u
Re: Bob Fritz, Danzig, anyone know?

>Subject: Bob Fritz, Danzig, anyone know?
>From: lwpthedad@aol.com (LWPTheDad)
>Date: 5/27/04 5:05 PM Central

>One of the horses people don't talk about is a great one named Buckpasser.
>Lifetime record
>31-25-4-1
>Suffered quarter cracks in three and four year season. Quarter crack kept him
>out of Derby.

Cause most fans dont remember him ..
.. he did run in the Ky Derby in his year.
I vividly remember him...Dr Fager et al ..

29 May 2004 23:51:47
buffbill
Re: Bob Fritz, Danzig, anyone know?

"Morehits4u"

> > >One of the horses people don't talk about is a great one named
Buckpasser.
> >Lifetime record
> >31-25-4-1
> >Suffered quarter cracks in three and four year season. Quarter crack kept
him
> >out of Derby.
>
> Cause most fans dont remember him ..
> .. he did run in the Ky Derby in his year.
> I vividly remember him...Dr Fager et al ..

Buckpasser didn't run in the Derby. He was injured with the aforementioned
quarter cracks.

buffbill